2019 - 2020 Houston Rockets Thread of Heroes Taking Shots

Slacks

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

That's a pretty good list of guys looking for a job/ring that could help for the vet min.  The 3 i would like most are luc, thabo, and felton. Young is probably a better shooter than Green, but i'm happy with Green.

I didn't realize the Rockets had 3 roster spots open. I am good with those 3. Luc and Thabo for defense and Felton as a spare ballhandler who actually knows how to play next to Russ.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

I didn't realize the Rockets had 3 roster spots open. I am good with those 3. Luc and Thabo for defense and Felton as a spare ballhandler who actually knows how to play next to Russ.

Maybe they don't have the roster space, but I would take those guys over McLemore, Hartenstein, and Clark.

Ideally you have your rotation

Starters -> Westbrook, Harden, House, Tucker, Capela

Bench -> Rivers, Gordon, Green, Nene, and Chandler

The guys that would be battling for one of the remaining spots

McLemore, Clark, Bennett, and Hartenstein.

I would take the 3 I mentioned over those 4 guys. 

Anyone who says Morey isn't an awesome GM is a tard.

The Memphis Grizzlies want to trade Andre Iguodala. This much was made obvious when The Athletic's Shams Charania reported that they would not engage buyout talks for the veteran forward, but making a trade work with the teams most closely linked to Iguodala came with complications. Iguodala is set to make nearly $17.2 million this season. Any team acquiring him would need to send out at least 80 percent of that figure in a deal, but most contenders don't have $13.8 million or so in salary lying around to give away. 

That changed on Wednesday when Bobby Marks of ESPN reported the details of one of the most creative contracts in NBA history. The Houston Rockets signed 36-year-old backup big man Nene, who only played 13 minutes per game last season, to a two-year, $20 million contract. If that number looks suspicious to you, it should. The Rockets aren't really going to pay him $20 million. They just exploited an obscure rule in the league's collective bargaining agreement to inflate his salary number to such a degree that a player who went unsigned in free agency for over two months could serve as legally acceptable cap filler in a potential Iguodala trade. 

So how did they do it? Here are the three basic tenents of the contract, which we will break down in more depth one by one. 

• Only $2.56 million of the contract is guaranteed. While Marks did not give a complete number, it can be assumed that the exact figure is $2,564,753, the minimum salary for a veteran of Nene's experience. 
  • The remaining $7.44 million of Nene's $10 million cap figure is based on incentives that the NBA deems "likely."
  • The second year of the contract only becomes guaranteed on Feb. 15, 2020, nine days after the trade deadline. 

Let's start with incentives. They are, for many smart teams, the salary cap's greatest cheat code. There are two kinds of contractual incentives in the NBA: likely incentives, and unlikely incentives. An incentive is deemed likely if the criterion was met in the previous season. If it wasn't, the incentive is deemed unlikely. That is the only determining factor for an incentive's likeliness, and it is how teams exploit incentives to manipulate the cap. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/how-rockets-manipulated-the-salary-cap-to-create-a-trade-asset-out-of-thin-air-become-favorites-for-andre-iguodala/

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

He averages about 4 pts and has had some drug issues and he is 35 years old.

Although he can hit the occasional corner 3, not bringing him on for his scoring. You know this. He was suspended once for 5 games for violating the anti-drug policy. Why are you making him sound like he is some repeat offender? 

14 hours ago, Zavala said:

I hate to say it but damn, we still have Splash/Clank Gordon on the roster? Fuck. We going to have Westbrook tossing up those late game bricks from way downtown already...

The hope is that Westbrook will not resort to Hero Ball since there will be other bonafide scoring options with him late in the game. Gordon really needs to go back to the 6th man role to make him efficient for this team (and especially as he ages).

57 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Although he can hit the occasional corner 3, not bringing him on for his scoring. You know this. He was suspended once for 5 games for violating the anti-drug policy. Why are you making him sound like he is some repeat offender? 

That 5 game suspension happens after your third violation.

Edited by Bevo

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

The hope is that Westbrook will not resort to Hero Ball since there will be other bonafide scoring options with him late in the game. Gordon really needs to go back to the 6th man role to make him efficient for this team (and especially as he ages).

westbrook.gif

He used to shit games away with DURANT open to pass too.. I donno..

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

That 5 game suspension happens after your third violation.

I stand corrected. Hope he stays clean and doesn't consume anything beyond really pure Swiss chocolates.

I do think he can still play the role of defensive stopper in limited minutes. A PJ-Thabo platoon isn't something to scoff at.

43 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

For Russ it’s between the ears. Maybe the change in team, city and hierarchy allows him to excel. 

or it will be a floating dumpster fire. 

The only hope I have is this is Hardens team and Westbrook and Harden have been friends since they were kids. Both desperately want rings and both should at this point in their careers realize that their window is closing and that doing the same things they have always done won't lead to a ring.

Other than that I got nothing...

6 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Haven't the Grizz said multiple times they won't buy him out? I'd love that instead of a trade just thought they wouldn't go that route and force teams to trade for him.

The NBA nixed that clever Nene deal, so we don't have anything the Grizz want to match salary. Unless someone like Shump is willing to sign a 1 year 12m deal, and then agree to waive half of it in a buyout for Memphis (which is probably against the rules / colluding), I don't think we are trading for him. If he gets released, there's no telling where he chooses to go. 

Fuck Morey. Costing your employer millions for a feel good woke moment. Great fucking job. 

If he had a personal problem with China he had ample time to let his employers know and sit out/ don’t make the trip in protest. 

To sabotage your employers business relationship for your personal self promotion is beyond pathetic.

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Fuck Morey. Costing your employer millions for a feel good woke moment. Great fucking job. 

Douche move. 

Funny how late stage capitalism has morons itt defending an authoritarian communist regime because "muh profits"

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BigXII said:

Funny how late stage capitalism has morons itt defending an authoritarian communist regime because "muh profits"

He’s been going to China pre-season for years. Rockets are heavily sponsored by China. He seemed to be just fine with it all these years (taking the money). 

Zero issue with his beliefs, but it’s hypocritical to now find your conscience

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

He’s been going to China pre-season for years. Rockets are heavily sponsored by China. He seemed to be just fine with it all these years (taking the money). 

Zero issue with his beliefs, but it’s hypocritical to now find your conscience

sounds like you don't know what hypocrisy is.