2019 - 2020 Houston Rockets Thread of Heroes Taking Shots

Slacks

39 minutes ago, BigXII said:

sounds like you don't know what hypocrisy is.

China didn’t start committing human rights violations in the last week, and Morey as an employee of the rockets has benefited from the lucrative sponsorships and investments from China. He’s never had an issue with it. 

Even Hollywood is smart enough to stay silent...got to keep that money. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

China didn’t start committing human rights violations in the last week, and Morey as an employee of the rockets has benefited from the lucrative sponsorships and investments from China. He’s never had an issue with it. 

Even Hollywood is smart enough to stay silent...got to keep that money. 

He presumably doesn't have a problem with money at all. It sounds like you don't know what the fuck this entire situation is about, considering you think it's "hypocritical" for morey to operate under capitalistic mindset here. His "stand with hong kong" tweet is about upholding Hong Kong as an economic freedom zone, i.e. the "one country, two systems" pledge that China made regarding Hong Kong when they assumed sovereignty from Britain. There isn't a damn thing hypocritical about his tweet at all, he was very obviously making shitloads of cash in a capitalistic market and his tweet was to the effect of "I support Hong Kong's financial and economic freedom (which I, and the rockets, benefit from) against communist mainland china."

But you think it's "woke" for some reason. Hint: none of this is about human rights violations. It's literally about economic freedom and sovereignty. Hence pointing out the irony of late stage capitalism here.

Maybe read the news once and a while.

Edited by BigXII
  • Like 6

It is a sad commentary that advocating for basic human rights like freedom of expression has to be corporately soft-pedaled as just one man's opinion. Wouldn't want to upset the lucrative autocratic Communist dictatorship, we need them to buy tickets to our comic book movies to juice the ROI. We've strip-mined the American consumer middle class via financialization, we're going to need a fallback.

I guess the Soviets screwed up. Their strategy of "well if you nuke us, we'll triple nuke you" was good for avoiding large scale hot wars, but not good for winning the Cold War. They needed to maneuver into a position to be able to say "we won't contribute to the bottom line of the large multinational corporations that prop up your politicians, by buying their worthless products, if you say anything critical of totalitarianism". 

It makes me wish I'd watched an NBA game in the last five years just so I could announce I was flouncing off and boycotting sportsball, but that ship has sailed. Adam Silver is a coward, and a prissy little rat fink. But he kept the NBA safe for non-gendered bathrooms, so, salud. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

I love Morey but he fucked up big time here. If he hadn’t opened his trap on a fucking political matter the Rockets and the NBA wouldn’t be in the mess they are in. They are getting slammed by both the Chicoms and those on both the left and right criticizing them for apologizing. This was a complete unforced error.

Fertitta paid $2.2 billion for the Rockets and a good bit of that valuation I’m sure came from the revenue stream they generate in China as the 2nd most popular team in a country with 1.3 billion people. I’m no fan of the Chinese government and those saying fuck them are living in a fantasy world when it comes to business and the dollars involved here. Personally, I would fire Morey over this but I hope to God Fertitta doesn’t because he is the best GM in the league. God damn it Daryl. Finally, if you’re a student of history like I am, you know the sensitivity of the Chinese people to this issue which the owner of the Nets does a good job in describing the Century of Humiliation under the Qing Dynasty with the unequal treaties they’re forced to sign:

4 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I love Morey but he fucked up big time here. If he hadn’t opened his trap on a fucking political matter the Rockets and the NBA wouldn’t be in the mess they are in. They are getting slammed by both the Chicoms and those on both the left and right criticizing them for apologizing. This was a complete unforced error.

Fertitta paid $2.2 billion for the Rockets and a good bit of that valuation I’m sure came from the revenue stream they generate in China as the 2nd most popular team in a country with 1.3 billion people. I’m no fan of the Chinese government and those saying fuck them are living in a fantasy world when it comes to business and the dollars involved here. Personally, I would fire Morey over this but I hope to God Fertitta doesn’t because he is the best GM in the league. God damn it Daryl. Finally, if you’re a student of history like I am, you know the sensitivity of the Chinese people to this issue which the owner of the Nets does a good job in describing the Century of Humiliation under the Qing Dynasty with the unequal treaties they’re forced to sign:

This is rich coming from you of all people.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Uh huh. Replace China with Iran and tell us how you feel about it.

Apples and oranges. Iran has a terrorist Islamic government that has made it a pariah state disconnected from global commerce. That’s a far cry from China with the purchasing power of 1.3 billion people. We do business with Saudi Arabia and a shitload of crappy countries on human rights. The fact is that Morey, the Rockets and the NBA didn’t have to state an opinion on what’s going on Hong Kong and Morey’s reckless tweet that is hurting the Rockets and NBA’s brand in their 2nd most important market behind the US. I am no fan of the Chinese government. They are interwoven in our business dealings and you have to be sensitive to their needs if you want to sell shit to them. That’s the real world. Fuck Twitter.

23 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Apples and oranges. Iran has a terrorist Islamic government that has made it a pariah state disconnected from global commerce. That’s a far cry from China with the purchasing power of 1.3 billion people. We do business with Saudi Arabia and a shitload of crappy countries on human rights. The fact is that Morey, the Rockets and the NBA didn’t have to state an opinion on what’s going on Hong Kong and Morey’s reckless tweet that is hurting the Rockets and NBA’s brand in their 2nd most important market behind the US. I am no fan of the Chinese government. They are interwoven in our business dealings and you have to be sensitive to their needs if you want to sell shit to them. That’s the real world. Fuck Twitter.

Sasse was able to concisely make your point.

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You are apologizing for an authoritarian regime and criticizing a voice of support for democracy.

Well done.

I wish Morey hadn't tweeted that. Many of us, myself included, hate mixing politics and sport. But as an American, it's Morey's American right to tweet that.

I hope this incident serves to remind that China has been shitty since 1949. Cultural Revolution. Tiananmen Square. Supporting North Korea. Belt and Road Initiative. Aggression towards the rest of Asia. Police state. Uighur concentration camps. 

I also wish that American capitalism would be practiced with uniform standards, but unfortunately, and as all we know, money talks and everything else walks.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

I wish Morey hadn't tweeted that. Many of us, myself included, hate mixing politics and sport. But as an American, it's Morey's American right to tweet that.

The NBA is political all the time, and there's nothing really wrong with that. When LeBron called out Trump, Adam Silver issued a statement supporting their right to speak out on important issues.

But now that $$$ is on the line, he's heeding China's diktat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

The NBA is political all the time, and there's nothing really wrong with that. When LeBron called out Trump, Adam Silver issued a statement supporting their right to speak out on important issues.

But now that $$$ is on the line, he's heeding China's diktat.

If a white player had come out against Obama the same Lebron did against Trump, I doubt Silver's response would have been the same. The NBA cares more about money than anything else, as long as players and personnel don't disrupt the flow of cash, then they can say whatever the fuck they want.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If a white player had come out against Obama the same Lebron did against Trump, I doubt Silver's response would have been the same. The NBA cares more about money than anything else, as long as players and personnel don't disrupt the flow of cash, then they can say whatever the fuck they want.

The difference being Obama never did or said anything as odious as Donald Trump.

But thanks for the false outrage.

5 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I’m no fan of the Chinese government and those saying fuck them are living in a fantasy world when it comes to business and the dollars involved here. 

Lol. Apologies to all of those killed, tortured, and disappeared, but there are dollars to be made!

5 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I’m no fan of the Chinese government and those saying fuck them are living in a fantasy world when it comes to business and the dollars involved here.

Again, everyone understands and mostly accepts the NBA's unwillingness to take a position against China. Don't bite the hand that feeds and all that. But the correct move would have been to go to Morey privately and request him to delete the tweet. Let people speculate all they want. If they still felt the need to say something publicly, the only statement necessary was, "While Daryl Morey does not speak for the NBA, we stand by his right to speak on issues outside of basketball." That's it. You're neither confirming of denouncing his tweet. Just stating the obvious and moving on. This ongoing blowjob to try to get back in China's good graces is fucking unbecoming.

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Lol.  So, appeasing the Ayatollah would have been ok with you if only the Iran market had more purchasing power?  

What a sad, empty life.

If Iran progressed to become what China is today, it’d be significantly better for the Iranian people and the entire world. I would be doing cartwheels as my ancestral homeland would have a powerful economy with millions lifted out of poverty. The elites of both parties and in business made a deal with the devil with China. You want their market and sell our people out then this is what you get:

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

If Iran progressed to become what China is today, it’d be significantly better for the Iranian people and the entire world. I would be doing cartwheels as my ancestral homeland would have a powerful economy with millions lifted out of poverty. The elites of both parties and in business made a deal with the devil with China. You want their market and sell our people out then this is what you get:

imagine being so stupid as to gobble up this kind of propaganda like this. These people are conflating "chinese people" with "chinese state," precisely because the chinese state controls all messages going in or out of the country.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Joe Tsai referencing the horrors of foreign invasion and oppression as an excuse for the CCP to oppress the minorities.  That's rich.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone also apologized for making fun of Xi.

“Like the NBA, we welcome the Chinese censors into our homes and into our hearts,” Parker and Stone said in a joint statement. “We, too, love money more than freedom and democracy. Xi doesn’t look just like Winnie the Pooh at all. Tune into our 300th episode this Wednesday at 10! Long live the Great Communist Party of China! May this autumn’s sorghum harvest be bountiful! We good now, China?”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Trey Parker and Matt Stone also apologized for making fun of Xi.

I didn't even know that a new season of South Park had started, and they already managed to nail this incident...in last week's episode...two days before Morey's tweet. The episode even had a James Harden appearance. Fucking uncanny.

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Out of morbid curiosity, I went to Clutchfans to see what the fans were saying about 

hahahahaha I couldn't even finish that sentence, it was everything you would imagine

They need to have one master thread and not let everyone post new threads on this topic. I am a frequent visitor there

They caught him
https://shanghaiist.com/2019/10/08/houston-rockets-fan-detained-for-posting-photo-of-himself-about-to-burn-chinese-flag/

The 25-year-old man, surnamed Wang, posted the photo onto Weibo. It shows him wearing a James Harden jersey, a black face mask, hat, and an eyepatch over his right eye while holding a smile Chinese flag in one hand and a lighter in the other.

Wang captioned the post: “I live and die with my team” and “Come and catch me.”

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 10/8/2019 at 7:33 AM, longhornmatt said:

Lol.  So, appeasing the Ayatollah would have been ok with you if only the Iran market had more purchasing power?  

What a sad, empty life.

Icono is like a fucking hyper American. i have seen it so many times. They just fucking lip it up and think because they discovered capitalism that every other part of the human existence is not nearly as important. some kind radical awakening of shit that is scary. 

mainly here to just say screw you NBA. i know you are money, and money protects itself, but its the short game. It always is. Its the American way. 

5 hours ago, staboner said:

Icono is like a fucking hyper American. i have seen it so many times. They just fucking lip it up and think because they discovered capitalism that every other part of the human existence is not nearly as important. some kind radical awakening of shit that is scary. 

mainly here to just say screw you NBA. i know you are money, and money protects itself, but its the short game. It always is. Its the American way. 

Say what you will about the Chinese government but they have lifted hundreds of millions of people out of poverty, have become a manufacturing heavyweight, and have let their people enjoy a far better lifestyle than they used to. Chinese Americans can go back to their homeland and do business deals, make money and visit without getting feared of being kidnapped by the government for no reason like I would if I visited Iran. Is it ideal or as good as the US or Western Europe? No, of course not. I am also not naive to think that our individualistic culture and freedoms can be adapted to every culture, especially ones like China where the vast majority believe the needs of the state outweigh those of the individual. For the average Chinese person, their lives are 100 times better than they were 20 years ago. They get to ride gleaming new bullet trains, buy luxury goods from Western brands, stay in 5 star hotels, etc. They're fine as long as they don't bitch about the government. Billions of people are fine with that arrangement witness China, Egyptians who far prefer Sisi over Morsi and Muslim Brotherhood, etc. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Fuck You 1

22 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Say what you will about the Chinese government but they have lifted hundreds of millions of people out of poverty, have become a manufacturing heavyweight, and have let their people enjoy a far better lifestyle than they used to.

at the point of a gun

but then I keep forgetting, as long as you have consumer electronics and a mortgage, the ends justify the means

at the point of a gun
but then I keep forgetting, as long as you have consumer electronics and a mortgage, the ends justify the means

Yeah that was just a bad post by iconoclast. The ends do not justify the means.

There’s a lot of thought that we’d be better off if our government was doing similar things and taking away certain rights all to “make our lives better”, but we’d never allow it. But we’re supposed to be supportive of the Chinese government for doing it in a disposable way?

Obviously disappointing that Kerr would be silent on this, it's really not hard to say that you are anti-locking-people-up-for-no-reason.

Butt if he had been a pro-gun NRA slurper, we all know god damn well that certain posters in this thread would have an entirely different opinion of him and be defending what he did here.

Yeah if I were an NBA player/coach/GM/owner I would simply state that I have not spent enough time in China or Hong Kong to appropriately understand the dynamics of the situation but that I appreciate all the fans around the world equally and am grateful for their support.

6 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Yeah if I were an NBA player/coach/GM/owner I would simply state that I have not spent enough time in China or Hong Kong to appropriately understand the dynamics of the situation but that I appreciate all the fans around the world equally and am grateful for their support.

Uh, that was pretty much Kerr's initial comment verbatimthat then got torn apart and roasted, leading to this recent "clarification" and misdirection.

Honestly, at this point, there's no response to China questions that are going to appease the masses AND keep you from becoming a target of the Chinese government (and your bosses for jeopardizing their cash cow).

But playing the "we do bad shit too" card was an unfathomably terrible choice from someone whose own father was assassinated during another country's civil war.

• Like 2