2019 - 2020 Houston Rockets Thread of Heroes Taking Shots

Slacks

The NBA cracks me up...WB is a great individual athlete...one of the GOAT's when it comes to athleticism.  But the writing was on the wall when he was in OKC - the guy is a liability come playoff time.  We can already see the blue print - force WB to shoot instead of Harden.  On any given possession, once WB gets the ball and Harden has been denied, WB is not the guy to work his ass off on that possession to get JH a look.  It's a lot of work to keep the rock out of Harden's hands...in the regular season many teams won't put that work in, unlike the playoffs.  

Also, Portland starts off like hot garbage so what do they do to change shit up?  Bring in Melo, of course.  Lulz

2 hours ago, Zavala said:

Eh, once Gordon comes back they will have another guy chucking long 3s. The team is worn out from a long road trip and not engaged on Xmas against a bum team.

Long season, I feel like they can make a run against the two LA teams in the playoffs.

There are plenty of guys that chuck long 3s, but not enough guys making them on a regular basis. Also, there is next to no offensive strategy for when the 3s don't fall. There is no defensive strategy especially 3 point defense.

Part of me thinks D'Antoni is checked out because he knows he's a lame duck coach and there is likely no team chomping at the bit to hire him when he leaves (remember this was the same situation with Kevin McHale who Daryl Morey stupidly extended back in 2014-2015). Losing against a 7-24 team is unacceptable and the pattern of breakdowns and egregious losses is starting to mount.

30 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

There are plenty of guys that chuck long 3s, but not enough guys making them on a regular basis. Also, there is next to no offensive strategy for when the 3s don't fall. There is no defensive strategy especially 3 point defense.

Part of me thinks D'Antoni is checked out because he knows he's a lame duck coach and there is likely no team chomping at the bit to hire him when he leaves (remember this was the same situation with Kevin McHale who Daryl Morey stupidly extended back in 2014-2015). Losing against a 7-24 team is unacceptable and the pattern of breakdowns and egregious losses is starting to mount.

It's one game who cares. It makes no difference for the real meaningful games in the playoffs.

With Green and Gordon back the rotation goes beyond 8 and looks a lot better. Chandler will get used more. They will have a good chance to make the finals.

Everyone always points to coaching, ain't nothing going to change how Westbrook plays except possibly James. We will see.

Edited by Zavala

I'm more worried about the lack of the bench because D'Antoni is a fucking retard. Last game of a 4 game trip and you shorten your fucking bench, playing long stretches without a C, on a team where only Westbrook is an above average rebounder for his position. Of course it didn't help that Green is still able to mind fuck Capela.

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I used to get pumped about the rockets having a deep bench but it doesn’t matter when your coach only plays 8 guys tops. 

No clue how we could improve this team I think morey is out of options in the trade department and draft picks are basically gone. 

I would like to get my hands on Frank the Tank. He'd be legit backup to both Tucker and Capela. You could split the 96 minutes evenly between those 3 guys. You have 8 guys that are averaging over 20 minutes, and Gordon hasn't played in 2 months. It's amazing how little D'Antoni considers load management, even though, he says before the season, he will watch the minutes.

Once Gordon gets back, you are looking at 5 guards looking for PT at the PG/SG positions. Playing Gordon or McLemore at SF is just fucking retarded. I like Austin Rivers, but he's really got no place on this team after Gordon gets back.

I think a Rivers/Nene/picks for Kaminsky would work under the cap.

Edited by HtownHorn

D'Antoni should be fired simply because he refuses to play Hartenstein. The man has been G-League MVP which means he needs to start getting regular burn in the NBA.

A very sloppy performance against a Nets team missing Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant, and Caris LeVert. Westbrook really ought to be embarrassed for getting himself ejected for arguing with some Nets scrub. He's much too old to still be behaving like this. Next thing you know, he'll start missing games due to accumulation of technical fouls.

Well on to the Pelicans in New Orleans tonight. Westbrook likely rests and who knows if Gordon will suit up. I expect him to be rusty if he plays.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

B team has fallen apart

yeah that fell apart quick.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gordon's contract is worse than Paul's. There is no legitimate reason to play Eric Gordon, he fucking sucks.

he's 6/12 and 4/7 from 3 in his first game in well over a month.  the fuck are you talking about?

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah that fell apart quick.

he's 6/12 and 4/7 from 3 in his first game in well over a month.  the fuck are you talking about?

He is also -18 in 22 minutes and an abysmal 4-8 from the FT line. He fucking sucks.

Edited by HtownHorn

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

He is also -18 in 22 minutes and an abysmal 4-8 from the FT line. He fucking sucks.

Your +/- is going to be shitty when you're playing with 2-3 G League players.

His first game in over a month and he  shoots 50% from the field and 57% from 3 and you bitch about him NOW?

Edited by Tylerocks

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Your +/- is going to be shitty when you're playing with 2-3 G League players.

His first game in over a month and he  shoots 50% from the field and 57% from 3 and you bitch about him NOW?

I've bitched about for the last 2 years. He sucks. As far as playing with 2-3 G League players, he had the 3rd worst +/- on the team last night. It didn't seem to hurt the other Rockets when they were playing with the G League players. Though Clemons and Hartenstein should regular rotation minutes.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

fucking crushed the 2nd place nuggets tonight.  this team is a title contender for sure.

also, this:

happy 2020 bitches.

It was a great win - a team win in fact. But this team is no title contender. And lol for using the Nuggets to gauge progress. The Nuggets are just as overrated as the Rockets, if not more. That might change if the Rockets start seeing this type of Russ night in and night out and if the defense can stay slightly above average consistently.

• Fuck You 1

On 12/31/2019 at 11:01 PM, UDontKnow said:

It was a great win - a team win in fact. But this team is no title contender. And lol for using the Nuggets to gauge progress. The Nuggets are just as overrated as the Rockets, if not more. That might change if the Rockets start seeing this type of Russ night in and night out and if the defense can stay slightly above average consistently.

If the Nuggets aren't title contenders in your eyes, may I ask who is then? If you're a Top 4 seed in the West this year, to me you're in the hunt it. Maybe not a favorite, but definitely contenders.

I get the sense your statement is more a reflection of how you feel about the Rockets in general. Is there a team in the regular season that this team (as constructed) could beat that would have you even slightly convinced they're a contender? If so, I'm curious who? 

1 hour ago, Horns RD Standard said:

If the Nuggets aren't title contenders in your eyes, may I ask who is then? If you're a Top 4 seed in the West this year, to me you're in the hunt it. Maybe not a favorite, but definitely contenders.

I get the sense your statement is more a reflection of how you feel about the Rockets in general. Is there a team in the regular season that this team (as constructed) could beat that would have you even slightly convinced they're a contender? If so, I'm curious who? 

I think there is a difference between in the hunt and truly contending. The Nuggets are fool's gold because they are virtually the exact same team after last year playoffs performance - losing Game 7 at home to a Trail Blazer team that couldn't take a single game off of the Warriors in the next round. The only four teams I see as true contenders are both LA teams, the Bucks, and the Celtics. They have the rosters and experience to truly contend. Certainly things could change through the remainder of the regular season and even in the playoffs. 

My statement certainly embodies how I feel about the Rockets. The Rockets should finish as a top 4 seed - in fact as they are built, they should be vying for the top seed in the conference. Home court is especially huge come playoff time. I see the Rockets finishing at either 3 or 4, getting past whichever lower seeded team in the first round in 6 games, and then losing in 6-7 games in the second round. D'Antoni scares nobody. Teams fall down by 20 or more points against the Rockets and don't break a sweat because they know that Harden alone can't beat them, the 3 point shot will eventually stop falling, and D'Antoni refuses to make adjustments (he won't even call timeout for fucks sake). For that matter, versus the Nuggets, the Rockets had another of their patented 3rd quarters and saw a 17 point home halftime lead whittled to 3 points to start the 4th quarter. Defense is especially inconsistent - opposing teams get so many open 3 point looks especially corner 3s (ironic isn't it) and depth is not developed during the regular season thanks to D'Antoni's inane 8 man rotation. PJ Tucker's scoring is starting to take a hit because he's playing damn nearly 40 minutes per game guarding opposing players that have significant height advantages (his rebounding has been impressive though).

56 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I think there is a difference between in the hunt and truly contending. The Nuggets are fool's gold because they are virtually the exact same team after last year playoffs performance - losing Game 7 at home to a Trail Blazer team that couldn't take a single game off of the Warriors in the next round. The only four teams I see as true contenders are both LA teams, the Bucks, and the Celtics. They have the rosters and experience to truly contend. Certainly things could change through the remainder of the regular season and even in the playoffs. 

My statement certainly embodies how I feel about the Rockets. The Rockets should finish as a top 4 seed - in fact as they are built, they should be vying for the top seed in the conference. Home court is especially huge come playoff time. I see the Rockets finishing at either 3 or 4, getting past whichever lower seeded team in the first round in 6 games, and then losing in 6-7 games in the second round. D'Antoni scares nobody. Teams fall down by 20 or more points against the Rockets and don't break a sweat because they know that Harden alone can't beat them, the 3 point shot will eventually stop falling, and D'Antoni refuses to make adjustments (he won't even call timeout for fucks sake). For that matter, versus the Nuggets, the Rockets had another of their patented 3rd quarters and saw a 17 point home halftime lead whittled to 3 points to start the 4th quarter. Defense is especially inconsistent - opposing teams get so many open 3 point looks especially corner 3s (ironic isn't it) and depth is not developed during the regular season thanks to D'Antoni's inane 8 man rotation. PJ Tucker's scoring is starting to take a hit because he's playing damn nearly 40 minutes per game guarding opposing players that have significant height advantages (his rebounding has been impressive though).

I just think the road to a title is as wide open as it's been in a while. And I don't personally think you put a championship squad together in one offseason by making major overhauls.

For that reason, I think the public sees the 2 LA teams as favorites, but I don't think either of them truly know who they are yet. They've both made significant roster changes and imo - need to both go through a postseason run together before they can truly assess themselves. LAL also can't sustain any injuries or setbacks to either superstar or they're chances are shot. 

The Bucks, until Giannis shows he can hit a 3 under the pressure of postseason play, I'll have doubts they're capable of winning a ring! Folks will cut-off the lane, sag and dare him to shoot like Toronto did last year. 

Boston's legit. Like Houston, they've stayed the course really. Made a roster switch (Kemba for Kyrie: CP3 for RW) and the hope is that they improve and gel collectively.

I guess I just think that all these teams are flawed in some way, just like the Rockets.   

It's pretty clear Vegas thinks it's a 3 horse race between the Lakers, Clippers, & Bucks with the Rockets being the first team on the outside looking in.

To be fair though the same could be said for the Raptors going into last season's playoffs so anything could happen.  Unfortunately I'd much rather have Nick Nurse at the helm than D'Antoni as Nurse at least understands roster & load management which is something D'Antoni has flunked every year and year upon year.