2019 - 2020 Houston Rockets Thread of Heroes Taking Shots

Slacks

For all the talk of Denver's consistency as an asset during the offseason, I don't get it. They beat the best teams - sometimes with relative ease. Then they lose to absolute dog teams. like the Wizards tonight or Atlanta early in the season. Hot shooter for both of those teams those nights, but they should be able to shutdown a hot shooter with their D. Or is that the weakness in their D, which requires an uptempo response on O? Who the hell knows.

Young team. Relatively leaderless. Damn good especially with Porter who has flashes of brilliance. This 7-3 run for the Nuggets should have been 9-1. Two no-shows by the Nuggets against weak teams (NOP and WSH).

And a  thumping by the foul loving houston isolate duo (over and over and over and over again). Capela is the key to Houston; he plays well and Hou wins against anybody in the league. They can win without him, but they will win if he has a strong game. I wish he was a Nugget. 

On the last leg of this early January roadtrip for the Nuggets, its on to the Hawks Monday (please no 50 point trae young night). On Wednesday, Denver visits  the Euro Mavs in an ESPN game. Should be fun to watch Jokic against the Mavs. A battle of THE Euro team v. Euro Big Man and his North American Ballers. Should be a good game. Nuggets should win easily. If they don't, there will be questions about the Nuggets in Denver. And perhaps a need for a trade to bring more tempo and maybe a sharpshooter. Defense only gets you so far in the no-D NBA. 

good example that bad losses happen to everyone.  rockets fans get upset about them, but the post above shows denver goes through it too and just last night the clippers lost at home to the grizzlies and the mavs lost at home to the hornets.  

as stands, rockets are tied for the 2 seed.

3 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

good example that bad losses happen to everyone.  rockets fans get upset about them, but the post above shows denver goes through it too and just last night the clippers lost at home to the grizzlies and the mavs lost at home to the hornets.  

as stands, rockets are tied for the 2 seed.

The Rockets are damn good in a Western Conference that is damn good. They are better than I gave them credit for in the off-season. 

The Clippers are not as good as I thought they might be. Williams remains steady, but the steady drip of injuries (George and Beverly this week) keeps them below their potential. Having no home court advantage in a Laker heavy city does not help their cause. 

The Lakers enjoy AD playing great ball, LBJ playing no D but enjoying his star status on the Court (don't touch him - that's a flagrant), and sharpshooting sidekicks who are second options when the iso (+ NBA protective bubble) doesn't work for LBJ/AD. I don't think the juice plus friendly refs can keep LBJ going for the entire season, but who knows. 

Houston plays ball the way the NBA wants. That is a huge advantage for the team. If they stay healthy, no reason they cannot win the Western Conference and should be favorites with the LAL for that crown. Who knows against the east. Other than Milwaukee, Philly, Boston, the Nets and Miami are 5-8 type teams in the West. Milwaukee should remain fresh for a deep playoff run with the weak competition in the East. Any of the top 4 Western Conference teams can beat them in a seven game series. 

7 hours ago, kopp0e said:

The return of the mack..?
How Thunder fans feel about Russ now..?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MykbR9_aUa8

It may not happen because the game is on the second night of a road back to back. Interesting how the Rockets play this. Do they sit Russ out the first night against the Hawks and let him play against the Thunder?

46 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

It may not happen because the game is on the second night of a road back to back. Interesting how the Rockets play this. Do they sit Russ out the first night against the Hawks and let him play against the Thunder?

I'd bet Russ wants to show out alongside The Bearded One, in (both of 'em guys) old stomping grounds... 

18 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Typical performance. Get up huge then start bricking 3's instead of working for better shots and allow a shitty team to come back.

I just hope they can change this habit come playoff time, but the team nor the coach are giving reason to believe. Just grateful for the win.

Tonight will be interest. I just hope Russ tries not to do too much in OKC.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

I just hope they can change this habit come playoff time, but the team nor the coach are giving reason to believe. Just grateful for the win.

Tonight will be interest. I just hope Russ tries not to do too much in OKC.

Don’t score enough on easy baskets or in the paint for that not to happen. It’s who they are

The 3s are the better shots the offense is working to create. Just have to make them.

I'm much more concerned about the very sloppy play in the 2nd quarter that let it be a 15 point game at the half instead of a lead of 30+. That's what can't happen in the playoffs, but it's a random regular season game against Atlanta so doesn't really matter right now.

Harden ditched his headband, I’m assuming in hopes it will fix his poor shooting
Harden had 11 turnovers today and Houston still won by 30.
if the turnover stat counted towards the triple double, Harden would have had a triple double!
Important thing is that the shooting touch was much improved for Harden. Headband better be history.

Houston never got in the flow tonight and Portland looked like the Portland of last year. 

Look on the bright side - LAL lost too (to Orlando). 

The rockets remain a contender (coming from a Nuggets fan living in Lakerland). By the way, Nuggets has a great game from Michael Porter Jr.  And PJ Dozier had a good first NBA game as a PG after Jamal Murray was injured.

Nuggets and Rockets will give LAL a run for the money this year. clips look vulnerable. Utah on a streak but beating weaker teams. The west is wide open. Top 3 are LAL, HOU and DEN. 

55 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

This is probably the most bi-polar team I have ever seen. Unfortunately they cycle too often for them to be able to get through the playoffs without the manic depressive side ruining it all.

Well when you surround Harden with the least consistent volume 3 point shooters in the league you are going to get games like this. Plus it doesn't help that D'Antoni has no set rotation, and just uses guys on a whim. Hartenstein should be getting at least 20 minutes a night. Shit you should work out some rotations where he and Capela are on the floor together.

Sorry and I know every team from Texas hates the Lakers, as do most everyone in the league, but after years of wandering the desert it's nice to be back where we belong. LBJ is playing as well as he's played in his career (almost). And he's top 2-3 to ever lace them up.

What’s the point of keeping D’Antoni around at this point? House has been absolute dogshit tonight and should have been pulled. Guys like Hartenstein should be getting minutes but we still have his idiotic 7-8 man rotations. This team plays a really unappealing style of basketball. I have had a hard time watching this team this year.

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Sorry and I know every team from Texas hates the Lakers, as do most everyone in the league, but after years of wandering the desert it's nice to be back where we belong. LBJ is playing as well as he's played in his career (almost). And he's top 2-3 to ever lace them up.

Nobody in this thread fucking cares. There's a general NBA thread. Reading comprehension. Get it.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

I gave up watching this “team” a while ago. They’re a collection of guys trying to get their stats. no chemistry or camaraderie. They aren’t a contender and will get upset in the first round of the playoffs (if they’re even the higher seed). They also seem to enjoy getting embarrassed on national tv. 

• Like 2

Wow, we’re playing you tonight. I don’t troll this thread.  Whatever.  And icono, I bowed out of that thread, but I had a legit axe to grind with Astros fans.  You all are pretty fucking sensitive.  I’ll stay out of Houston specific threads.  Obviously pretty touchy.