2019 - 2020 Houston Rockets Thread of Heroes Taking Shots

Slacks

17 hours ago, Jim Tressell’s Vest said:

What are everyone's thoughts on Clint Capela? I don't think he is even a top 15 center in the league

While I think he's Top 15 although he has plateaued this year...maybe even slid back a little.

He's perfect for what the Rockets need him to do, but he's just not playing very well this year.

Some interesting scenarios.

Houston gets Covington and Len

Minnesota gets Jabari Parker, Damian Jones, and Brooklyn's lottery protected 2020 1st round pick.

Atlanta gets Capela and Nene.

Boston gets Capela

Houston gets Covington and Theis

Minnesota gets Poirier, Langford, Nene, and Memphis' 2020 1st round pick.

13 hours ago, Llogg said:

Drummond, Whiteside, Adams, Howard, Gobert, KAT, Jokic, Embiid, Vucevic, Lopez, are the easy 10. I'd argue Jarrett Allen, Sabonis, and probably still Marc Gasol. If you give me AD and LMA at the 5 spot that's your 15. Statistically, Capela is equivalent to Zubac this year.

G 	MP 	PER 	TS% 	3PAr 	FTr 	ORB% 	DRB% 	TRB% 	AST% 	STL% 	BLK% 	TOV% 	USG% 	  	OWS 	DWS 	WS 	WS/48 	  	OBPM 	DBPM 	BPM 	VORP

49	868	20.7	.617	.007	.400	15.7	25.2	20.5	8.4	0.5	4.8	11.7	17.1		2.5	1.5	3.9	.218		0.5	2.4	2.9	1.1
39	1279	20.7	.626	.000	.268	13.6	30.0	21.7	5.6	1.2	4.8	12.7	15.9		2.9	2.1	5.0	.187		-0.9	2.4	1.5	1.1

This is not the same as arguing all those guys are better fits for this Rockets team than Capela is.

dwight howard??  i get that he's having a bounce back year, but come on.  would not take adams, whitside (also having a bounce back year) or lopez ahead of him either.  KAT is obviously better, but he also hasn't played in a game that his team won since before thanksgiving so it's not like he's really contributing to winning.

i'll fully admit that i don't understand all of the advanced basketball stats, but some of the guys on the list you linked in the post ahead of this one play 50-60% of the minutes capela plays. 

I'm okay with Kevon Looney and Robert Covington. Then maybe PJ Tucker could get his minutes reduced. Dubs finished with the Russell experiment so soon? Interesting to see what they actually take back (seriously, Wiggins?) and not sure how Russell fits with KAT. Hawks dump Evan Turner (who hasn't really fit anywhere) and likely get Capela and Nene.

"This looks like welcome news for the Hawks." Lol, Clutch needs to retire and pass the torch on.

Edited by UDontKnow

17 hours ago, Llogg said:

Drummond, Whiteside, Adams, Howard, Gobert, KAT, Jokic, Embiid, Vucevic, Lopez, are the easy 10. I'd argue Jarrett Allen, Sabonis, and probably still Marc Gasol. If you give me AD and LMA at the 5 spot that's your 15.

Dwight Howard, Brook Lopez, Marc Gasol, and Jarrett Allen are not close to being better than Capela. 

Statistically, Capela is equivalent to Zubac this year.

No. If two players do things at a relatively similar rate but one is doing it in 15 more minutes per game, they are not statistically equivalent.

6 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

dwight howard??  i get that he's having a bounce back year, but come on.  would not take adams, whitside (also having a bounce back year) or lopez ahead of him either.  KAT is obviously better, but he also hasn't played in a game that his team won since before thanksgiving so it's not like he's really contributing to winning.

i'll fully admit that i don't understand all of the advanced basketball stats, but some of the guys on the list you linked in the post ahead of this one play 50-60% of the minutes capela plays. 

I'll accept Howard as a stretch, but Lopez and Whiteside are far far better players than Capela.

3 hours ago, goatsaag said:

Dwight Howard, Brook Lopez, Marc Gasol, and Jarrett Allen are not close to being better than Capela. 

No. If two players do things at a relatively similar rate but one is doing it in 15 more minutes per game, they are not statistically equivalent.

I wouldn't say Allen is better than Capella, as statistically they are pretty comparable, but Allen is 21 in his 3rd year ($2.3 mil this season, $3.9 mil next season) while Capella is 25 in his 6th year ($16.4 mil this year, $17.5 mil next year). Given the choice, I know who I'd prefer.

image.thumb.png.9d60228cb4ef368f0eb726c353f3ddca.png

Another guy that isnt on Llogg's list but worth mentioning is Deandre Ayton, 21 in his 2nd season ($9.5 mil this season, $10.0 mil next season)

image.thumb.png.d1856689d6e2f8b7f008197da6255b33.png

21 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Maybe not if D'Antoni has the brains/is ordered to start Jordan Bell at C.

The same Jordan Bell who could barely even get on the court for a terrible Minnesota team should start for the Rockets? He did seem like a perfect fit for the Rockets coming out of college, but uh, that's not something he's actually lived up to.

4 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

The same Jordan Bell who could barely even get on the court for a terrible Minnesota team should start for the Rockets? He did seem like a perfect fit for the Rockets coming out of college, but uh, that's not something he's actually lived up to.

He can't be worse than Hartenstein. PJ Tucker has nerve damage in his shoulder and he should not be playing as C for more than a few minutes each game. For the sake of Tucker's health, I hope D'Antoni walks after what will probably be another early playoff exit.

I'm surprised the Rockets in need of a center, didn't try to get one of the ones in Atlanta. Maybe they will add another player to the deal, they have until Thursday and $12M to look around. I would take a flier on Len, Jones, Fernando, or Parker before walking away from the deadline with Convington and Bell.

Not sure I see why Houston does this...

Cov had good shooting nights and also 1-9, 2-13. He was asked to do too much here offensively.

Obv a good wing defender and I thought he was a pros pro.

But man...tucker/cov are your 4 & 5? Somebody like Gobert or joker will tower over Houston

There’s some very tough times ahead post harden/Westbrook tho with no frps until 2054

17 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Cov had good shooting nights and also 1-9, 2-13. He was asked to do too much here offensively.

But man...tucker/cov are your 4 & 5? Somebody like Gobert or joker will tower over Houston

There’s some very tough times ahead post harden/Westbrook tho with no frps until 2054

Yes, but Houston will also make Gobert and Jokic uncomfortable on the perimeter guarding 25' from the basket. It's a risk, but they have been getting destroyed on the boards with the small ball lineup yet winning. Houston whipped Utah in their last meeting in Salt Lake, with Gobert being a -15 in his 37 minutes.

Rockets are replacing a non shooter with a career .358 BTA guy, and getting better perimeter defense.

Edited by HtownHorn

Yes, but Houston will also make Gobert and Jokic uncomfortable on the perimeter guarding 25' from the basket. It's a risk, but they have been getting destroyed on the boards with the small ball lineup yet winning. Houston whipped Utah in their last meeting in Salt Lake, with Gobert being a -15 in his 37 minutes.
Rockets are replacing a non shooter with a career .358 BTA guy, and getting better perimeter defense.

Truth. I think Utah’s about as Jekyll and Hyde of a team out there. On paper they’re tough up and down...but then put up some head scratchers.

Stretching gobert from the paint is a good point.

11 minutes ago, Jim Tressell’s Vest said:

Apparently he wasn't perfect enough for the Rockets lol

Because the Rockets aren't playing PnR anymore. He's clogging the lane while Westbrook and Harden are trying to drive the ball.

He's a better fit for the Hawks and their run everything PnR offense through Young.

Edited by HtownHorn

On 2/3/2020 at 8:14 PM, goatsaag said:

I'm very curious to hear what 15 centers you think are better than Capela. He's a good center and when he's healthy, he's exactly what the Rockets need for 30 minutes or so a game from the center position. He's also on a contract that pays him essentially what he is worth.

In no order: Davis, Jokic, Gobert, Ayton, KAT, Embiid, Lamarcus, Valanciunas, Brook Lopez, Gasol, Adams, Vucevic, Myles Turner, Drummond, Kristaps, John Collins, Jarrett Allen, and even Dwight Howard (this season) are debateable

On 2/4/2020 at 2:21 AM, Llogg said:

Drummond, Whiteside, Adams, Howard, Gobert, KAT, Jokic, Embiid, Vucevic, Lopez, are the easy 10. I'd argue Jarrett Allen, Sabonis, and probably still Marc Gasol. If you give me AD and LMA at the 5 spot that's your 15. Statistically, Capela is equivalent to Zubac this year.

G 	MP 	PER 	TS% 	3PAr 	FTr 	ORB% 	DRB% 	TRB% 	AST% 	STL% 	BLK% 	TOV% 	USG% 	  	OWS 	DWS 	WS 	WS/48 	  	OBPM 	DBPM 	BPM 	VORP

49	868	20.7	.617	.007	.400	15.7	25.2	20.5	8.4	0.5	4.8	11.7	17.1		2.5	1.5	3.9	.218		0.5	2.4	2.9	1.1
39	1279	20.7	.626	.000	.268	13.6	30.0	21.7	5.6	1.2	4.8	12.7	15.9		2.9	2.1	5.0	.187		-0.9	2.4	1.5	1.1

This is not the same as arguing all those guys are better fits for this Rockets team than Capela is.

Completely agree. He may be a decent fit for the Rockets, but that doesn't make him a good Center. The Rockets barely even play real basketball

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So cov has nights like every nba player? What combo guard is shooting the three at 70%? Zero? Theory is here unlike minny he won’t have as much attention Defensively and get wide open three’s.

also Houston has two ex mvps and I can pretty much guarantee if things go south they can flip Westbrook and even harden and restock the FRP. 

capella just went for a First so it’s not hard these days to flip a decent player for a First.