2019 - 2020 Houston Rockets Thread of Heroes Taking Shots

Slacks

Markieff Morris is getting bought out by the Pistons, supposedly the Lakers are the front runners. Only problem is that the Rockets are the only contender that have the space via a trade exception to claim him. They are also still $5M under the luxury tax, so picking him up would even necessitate going into the tax. He's shooting almost 40% BTA the season, and would be nice insurance in case Green decides not to stay with the Rockets. Hell, I'd put him in the rotation over Rivers, McLemore, and Thabo.

Green and Morris at the 5 would mean that Tucker could play almost exclusively at the 4.

Westbrook, Harden, and Gordon as the 3 main guards.

Covington, Tucker, Carroll, and House at the forwards.

Green and Morris at center.

But it appears he's going to the Lakers anyway.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Boogie Cousins has been waived. It's an interesting thought if he can be in game shape by the playoffs because he can stretch the floor and play serviceable defense especially if you limit him to certain matchups (i.e. Gobert).

Really? Serviceable defense? Really? Harden plays better post defense than Boogie.

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gobert will get played off the floor guarding Westbrook if they stay with that matchup in a potential playoff series.

If that series comes to fruition, better hope that the Rockets 3s fall and Westbrook finishes around the basket because rebounding will likely be an issue. 

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

If that series comes to fruition, better hope that the Rockets 3s fall and Westbrook finishes around the basket because rebounding will likely be an issue. 

Gobert has been a -21 in the two games so far, and the Rockets haven't had their full rotation for either game. Gordon is supposedly expected back for this game, so the Rockets will have their full rotation.

39 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Perfect night for the Rockets.

Beat the jazz, Clippers lose to Sacramento, Dallas loses to Atlanta.

Game behind the Clippers. Have to move them to the 4th seed.

Not sure how the Clippers and Mavericks lost those games, but I'm not one to complain. Considering the next two are at home versus the Knicks and the Grizzlies, hopefully players like Carroll and Caboclo get some run. D'Antoni must build depth because Harden and Westbrook are the only consistent scoring options in the starting lineup and the bench did their part tonight by putting up 32. Funny to see Covington grab 12 boards while Gobert only had 6. Rockets were only out rebounded by 4. Yeah, I'm not worried about the Jazz in the playoffs - they're pretenders, not contenders.

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I am enjoying this run but I am with Bill Simmons on this style in playoffs.   It’s hard to prepare for in 24-72 hours, but after 2-3 games in a 7 game series, it can be figured out.  So D’Antoni will need a counterpunch. 

Work the kid #5 with Tyson and Dream to be a secret pick and roll lob guy for a change of pace in the playoffs. 

This team’s ceiling has yet to be determined.  They were maxed out with CP3 and Clint

Commentators said last game that the Rockets know 30% from 3 is better than 50% from 2.  Especially when your pace of play is second in the league. 

also. Haden Tucker and Robert all under 30 mins

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

I disagree on Simmons. Harden is nearly unguardable, but teams scheme to him in playoffs. Try that now and Westbrook will torch you. The whole thing works because we have two all time great scorers, and solid pieces around.

Love CP3 but Westbrook just does more damage. Love Capela but he was a non-factor in the plsyoffs. Covington has already shown he’s a superior player.

Cant wait for the postseason, let’s just hope we’re hot from the field and playing with high confidence when the regular season ends.

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I saw Bazemore is getting bought out? Haven't we always said he would be a great fit or are we loaded already? 

The problem is who's spot would he replace in the current rotation from last night, one that was missing Gordon.

Westbrook, Harden, House, Covington, and Tucker looks to be the preferred starting 5.

Then you have Rivers, Gordon, Carroll, McLemore, and Green.

Those 10 need double digits minutes every night. I guess you could take him for Gordon insurance, as he has been hurt way too often this season.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I saw Bazemore is getting bought out? Haven't we always said he would be a great fit or are we loaded already? 

This is the Kings SB Nation blog from 5 days ago: https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2020/2/22/21148923/kings-112-clippers-103-the-kent-bazemore-game

Where did you see him being bought out? That would be idiotic on the part of the Kings. And if he does get bought out, the Rockets should pick him up. There is no such thing as too much defense, especially for the Rockets, and he could be plug-and-play just like Green and Carroll are. Green and Carroll should be valued for their defensive presence and any points scored from them is just a bonus. 

Gordon should be in bubble wrap for a month or two. He just can't stay healthy and miraculously D'Antoni has learned to expand his playing rotation. Let Green, Carroll, and Caboclo get more burn considering they haven't been getting regular minutes this season.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Where are all the Rockets fans who claimed Westbrook was so horrible and the 2 guards couldnt possibly share 1 ball? 

I think what Rocket fans are seeing like everyone else is Westbrook playing under the right system is helping him thrive. Anyone with a brain saw he was struggling in okc so the only data we had was him struggling with PG3 and others. 

so basically Westbrook getting out of shit hole okc and under shit heel coaches and into a real system that helps him has made all the difference.

Brian T. Smith had a good article about how the Rockets can save Houston sports this season. I have never been as disconnected from Houston sports teams as I have been these past couple of months. The Texans playoff loss, buttchin consolidating even more power and the Astros sign stealing bs and the incessant blathering about it really have been a huge downer.  I usually listen to Houston sports talk all day long but haven't these past several weeks. The Rockets playing a lot better has started to wake me up from the doldrums. Love how Westbrook has adapted his game. The Rockets were awful to watch the first 2 months of the season. Been very pleasantly surprised at how good a fit Covington has been. Keep it up Rockets.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 2