2019 - 2020 Houston Rockets Thread of Heroes Taking Shots

Slacks

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

If this doesn't get you excited for this team, I don't know what will. I have to say, I was not a happy fan after the CP3/Russ trade, and didn't think it would do anything to help this team get past the 2nd round, but after the Capela for Roco trade, I'm thinking they might have a chance. This team is completely different, and destroying teams that play with traditional centers. It's only like 9 games since the trade, but I have more hope for this team now than I have had all year. Westbrook is like a different player now that he's in a new system that plays to his strengths. The rest of the season is gonna be a wild ride and a lot of fun!

Westbrook's post game is pretty under-rated, but he's getting some chances to showcase it in the small-ball lineup. As Dwyane Wade grew older and lost athleticism, he developed his post game a lot more to compensate. Might see RW go down a similar path as he ages.

(Side note, I didn't notice it the first time but Westbrook got gypped with the no-call on his putback dunk).

On 3/1/2020 at 5:39 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

Glad you Houston guys who used to make fun of WB appreciate him now.  

Amazing how their narrative changed to "i always liked him, its just i didnt like his former system and former coaches"

"He hogged the ball" = his usage rate this year higher than in past 2 years

"He played hero ball and shot too much" = his FGA higher this year than in past 2 years

"He was lazy on defense" = every single defense measurement the same or lower than past 2 years

"Advanced stats says he sucks" = same

He's the exact same exciting, high-motor, attack-centric guy he's always been. 

The only difference is having 4 teammates parked on the perimeter instead of tanking in the center, giving him more room to operate.

And he’s taking fewer 3s than any time in his career. His shot selection has vastly improved. How does his paint scoring and shooting percentage compared to the last two seasons look?

Hes also responsible for the Rockets being second in pace of play after the Rockets were near the bottom with Paul  

He’s tweaked his game. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Go listen to the Bill Simmons podcast and they talk about how this is the best WB has looked in years, it's the reason why Rocket fans are excited because he's playing good(go figure how that works). This version of WB isn't "the same" as he's always looked and the data backs all of it up. The offensive system did help and unfortunately when trolls pop in saying he's always been this way it's hilarious. Just go listen to the podcast and Simmons and russelio say the exact same thing all fans thought about WB before and during the beginning part of this season and how the system change has completely changed WB to the point that Simmons is even saying this might be the best WB has EVER looked. but but but okc fans say he's always played like this. LULZZ not even close.

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Go listen to the Bill Simmons podcast and they talk about how this is the best WB has looked in years, it's the reason why Rocket fans are excited because he's playing good(go figure how that works). This version of WB isn't "the same" as he's always looked and the data backs all of it up. The offensive system did help and unfortunately when trolls pop in saying he's always been this way it's hilarious. Just go listen to the podcast and Simmons and russelio say the exact same thing all fans thought about WB before and during the beginning part of this season and how the system change has completely changed WB to the point that Simmons is even saying this might be the best WB has EVER looked. but but but okc fans say he's always played like this. LULZZ not even close.

Had to stop listening to BS show on the ringer man.. I'll go back and listen to this one.  Funny how he singled out Houston as the reason the NBA tv ratings were down in the first small ball game vs the Lakers a few weeks ago..  Now he's changed his tune?

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

And he’s taking fewer 3s than any time in his career. His shot selection has vastly improved. How does his paint scoring and shooting percentage compared to the last two seasons look?

Hes also responsible for the Rockets being second in pace of play after the Rockets were near the bottom with Paul  

He’s tweaked his game. 

Westbrook's teammates in OKC were shooting something like 30% on uncontested three-point attempts during his MVP season. He had zero spacing as a result, teams would just collapse down on him hard in the paint if he eschewed three-pointers.

If he was playing this style of ball in OKC with non-factors like Semaj Christon and Andre Roberson as his outside shooters it wouldn't necessarily have worked. With Houston he has a lot more space to work with, and it shows.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Westbrook's teammates in OKC were shooting something like 30% on uncontested three-point attempts during his MVP season. He had zero spacing as a result, teams would just collapse down on him hard in the paint if he eschewed three-pointers.

If he was playing this style of ball in OKC with non-factors like Semaj Christon and Andre Roberson as his outside shooters it wouldn't necessarily have worked. With Houston he has a lot more space to work with, and it shows.

His 3pt attempts also increased quarter on quarter for each game.  Anyone with 1 eyeball and 2 braincells saw, especially demonstrated on the playoffs, Russ build up a lead, then the lead collapse while hes on the bench, then he has to pull them back up in the 4th.  It was shot out of necessity. 

What does Bill Simmons think about it tho!!!!!!!!!!

42 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea he's changed and said he was wrong. He isn't saying he thinks they will win it all but definitely that this is working so far and he didn't think it would at all.

bbbbut bbbut muh bill simmonz

39 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Exactly, once he got out of the shit hole okc and had a real team around him and adjusted the system he had been the best probably in his career.

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lullzzz. I'd listen to bill simmons over a fucktard okc blowhard on surly. please tell us how it really is with no facts just you trolling on the Houston Thread. 

There are some numerical facts a few posts up. 

Your counterargument is based on an appeal to authority.....  Which you yourself contradicted in the very next post.  Which is hilarious in a very sad kind of way.

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

please show me an example of someone on this thread saying this.

He can’t. If anything and I haven’t even looked but what I remember is most rocket fans on here all said “meh it’s worth the risk and can’t be any worse”. 

Everyone that was blasting the trade were spurs and mavs fans on the nba thread and said wb and harden would fight and not get along and it wouldn’t work. I guarantee you could find a ton of those posts and a lot more than anything we have said on here. For the one he might find there are 10 that are welcoming the change.

I wasn't a fan of the trade at the time, and still wasn't until this week. Russ as he was in his old form of chucking long shots and playing hero ball was not a good fit on this team as it was made, that was kind of a redundancy to Harden but at lower efficiency. CP3 was a better defender, shooter, passer and floor general for a team that lacked leadership on the court. My thoughts on that trade haven't changed, but the team dynamic is so different now that just a few weeks ago, that it's hard to maintain that stance. They no longer have a player over 6'8 playing significant minutes, which is unheard of in the NBA. It's a total revamp of the team and their strategy, it allows Russ to play to his strengths, which is what he really needs at this point in his career. 

This team is now a very fast-paced, drive and kick type offense, which is totally different than before. These last few games I have only seen a few possessions slowly brought up the floor and passing the half court line with 16-17 seconds left on the shot clock. Before that would happen like a dozen times a night. People were always complaining about how much of a chore it was to watch the Rockets before this trade, well if anyone still has that opinion, I would encourage you to watch a game with both Harden and Russ playing now, because it feels like a whole new team. 

The sad thing is, OKC could have done this same type of system with PG if they shipped off Steven Adams and found just a few 3&D guys, but they didn't. Now we get to see how far this experiment can go, which is a hell of a lot more intriguing that a 1st round exit this team was seemingly headed for. I don't know how anyone could have been watching this team prior to the trade and think it's the same Russ, or same Rockets. Both Russ and Harden playing faster and harder than any game I saw earlier in the season. It's like the whole team has had new life breathed into them. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, I never understood the "they won't get along" takes. They are childhood friends. Even when Russ was at his most surly, Harden was the only guy in the Western conference that would be on his side.

I felt it was worth it to try the trade, but I wasn't very optimistic. I felt like there wouldn't be a leader on the team and the two would spend too much time at the bars and not enough time focusing on basketball.

55 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I felt it was worth it to try the trade, but I wasn't very optimistic. I felt like there wouldn't be a leader on the team and the two would spend too much time at the bars and not enough time focusing on basketball.

Westbrook is married and has kids, outside of his lack of fashion, he's nothing like Harden off the court.