2019 - 2020 Houston Rockets Thread of Heroes Taking Shots

Slacks

Well i will be curious what we do this off season, I think we all know Harden and WB will be back again and honestly i think everyone will be back and morey will do small things to rearrange the deck chairs on the titanic. I would love to be wrong and watch us blow it up and trade everyone for picks and start a rebuild but we know that won't happen. 

So, i think we all know d'antoni is gone so they will convince themselves a new coach will fix it all and after that they will make moves. Whatever those are. Problems is that this style is ALL morey. He wants small ball and D'Antoni is the perfect coach for his system that doesn't work so i'm not sure which direction we will go now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Westbrook been a disaster.  Tear it down.

I never liked the guy, but I tried to get behind it.  Similar to when we brought Scottie Pippen on.  We got a shitty version of both.  

We need a quick rebuild before Harden gets old.  But I don't know how the hell they're gonna do it.

25 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I never liked the guy, but I tried to get behind it.  Similar to when we brought Scottie Pippen on.  We got a shitty version of both.  

We need a quick rebuild before Harden gets old.  But I don't know how the hell they're gonna do it.

As previous poster noted, they gave up way too much in trade to get him.  Rockets are probably fucked for a good while because his trade value now is not even close to what the Rockets gave up.  They might have concede total failure and trade Harden to start the rebuilding process.

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean.  That deal handcuffed the front office.  I'd be happy to see them eat the loss and trade Russ for whatever they can get and let Gordon and Tucker have the extra touches on offense.  But that isn't enough to win a championship.

I think we're stuck as a 3 to 5 seed who gets whipped in the second round for the next couple of years unless we strike gold in the draft.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:43 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

lol nice turnover harden. Does he know it’s the playoffs and can’t just dribble around to a step back 3 with half ass regular season defense? Lakers cranked up the heat and harden does his usual stay the same no matter what.

Sometimes, when the refs are blatantly dishonest, it has an effect on the players.  I stopped watching after game 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Run it back the next two seasons, because you can still make the playoffs(make money). While that is going on, find a Euro that can be ready to step in and bridge the gap. That's all you got left. Do not trade anymore draft picks!

Keeping the Sergio Llul dream alive, it’s only been 11 years!! 😂

• Hook 'Em 1

Names I've seen:

Cassell

Lue

Mark Jackson

JVG

David Fizdale

Kelvin Sampson

Honestly, this roster is a shit show and set up exclusively to run this small ball bullshit.  No draft picks

You have $120M already tied up for Russ, James, EG, PJ and Covington.

Whoever said it about Gordon's contract is right...that thing is an anchor.  

EG and Westbrook are basically untradeable at this point.

Sigh..

30 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

JVG? Lol. From all offense and no defense to all defense and no offense. That would be a knee jerk panic hire.

I say give a guy like Cassell a shot, we have seen the JVG show. no thanks.

Maybe. But JVG never had a healthy roster to work with, he is proven on the defensive end, and has willingly conceded that he needed to improve offensively. He did coach the Team USA rag-tag squad of domestic and international American ballers that qualified for the last World Cup. 

He would not be a knee jerk panic hire and it would not be the same JVG show. But I certainly would be happy giving Sam I Am a shot. The Rockets don't beat the Knickerbockers without Cassell.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think you keep Morey and MDA since the team has been pretty good for most of their tenures. Have we won a championship? No but that's about breaking through and if you are close every year then it's just a matter of time. Blowing the whole thing up is just going to end you up in the lottery for 5 years. 

In 6 out of the last 7 years the Rockets finished with a record in the top 4 of the west. That doesn't happen a lot for the Rockets franchise.

Whoever it is, James needs to be willing to

be coached by them. Wanted to throw a brick at D’Antoni every time he said “I just let them play”. “They will figure it out”. “James knows more about the game than me”. You are the fucking coach. Bring something to the table. 

James has the talent to win it all, he just hasn’t figured out how to use his game the best way to do so. You saw flashed when Russ finally got going in the regular season but old James hero ball came roaring back in the playoffs. 

The champions of the last decade have been:

Lebron + Wade + Bosh Heat

Duncan + Kawhi + Parker + Manu Spurs

Lebron + Kyrie + Love Cavs

Curry + Klay + Durant et al. Warriors 

Kawhi + Lowry et al. Raptors

I would like to see a Rockets championship as much as any Houstonian, but I don’t think it’s fair to crucify Morey for failing to beat the teams listed above. He went out and got Harden for almost nothing. He brought in Dwight Howard for the classic SG-big man duo but that failed. He tried mixing up the role players with guys like Ariza and that didn’t work. For as few (late first round) draft picks that he kept, he did take Capela and Chandler Parsons and they were both key contributors for a period. Morey started the analytics small ball transition by bringing in EG, Skip to my Lou, and Ryan Anderson, but that didn’t cut it so he got Chris Paul because the NBA said you need at least two stars who are prolific scorers. That didn’t work, and Paul had injury concerns and was going to be 35 with a huge contract, so Morey threw the dice again for Westbrook who is 4 years younger. I didn’t like it due to Russ’s poor outside shooting but I saw it as trying something to make a splash and hope for the best. For all rosters’ faults, they came close to beating the Warriors a couple times the past few seasons.

It’s not Morey’s fault that Harden has these cold stretches in the playoffs. Was he supposed to lure Lebron, Durant, or Kawhi to Houston as a free agent? How else were they supposed to defeat the champions of the last decade? Since we have no draft picks for a couple years, there’s no point in blowing it up now and tanking. He’d be Rumpelstiltskin if he could flip Westbrook and/or EG for three or four solid contributors, and then they’d still be reliant on Harden to never have more than one bad game per series. 

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Hook 'Em 4

I would like to see a Rockets championship as much as any Houstonian, but I don’t think it’s fair to crucify Morey for failing to beat the teams listed above. He went out and got Harden for almost nothing. He brought in Dwight Howard for the classic SG-big man duo but that failed. He tried mixing up the role players with guys like Ariza and that didn’t work. For as few (late first round) draft picks that he kept, he did take Capela and Chandler Parsons and they were both key contributors for a period. Morey started the analytics small ball transition by bringing in EG, Skip to my Lou, and Ryan Anderson, but that didn’t cut it so he got Chris Paul because the NBA said you need at least two stars who are prolific scorers. That didn’t work, and Paul had injury concerns and was going to be 35 with a huge contract, so Morey threw the dice again for Westbrook who is 4 years younger. I didn’t like it due to Russ’s poor outside shooting but I saw it as trying something to make a splash and hope for the best. For all rosters’ faults, they came close to beating the Warriors a couple times the past few seasons.
It’s not Morey’s fault that Harden has these cold stretches in the playoffs. Was he supposed to lure Lebron, Durant, or Kawhi to Houston as a free agent? How else were they supposed to defeat the champions of the last decade? Since we have no draft picks for a couple years, there’s no point in blowing it up now and tanking. He’d be Rumpelstiltskin if he could flip Westbrook and/or EG for three or four solid contributors, and then they’d still be reliant on Harden to never have more than one bad game per series. 

I agree with pretty much everything above. Which is why I wonder if we couldn't do better than what the Thunder did the Paul George trade if we moved Harden. Not saying that it is the right move, just saying that for the first time I would think about it.

Problem is that the NBA more than any other league is superstar driven, and there is no guarantee you will get one or two with the boatload of picks, youngsters, and/or expirings Harden would bring.

Houston has failed to appeal to superstar NBA free agents forever. The lone exceptions was the Dwight Howard signing, but we’ve whiffed every other time we had cap room or attempted to get someone in a sign and trade. Barkley, Pippen, McGrady, Harden, Paul, Westbrook have all been through trades; Francis and Yao were #2 and #1 overall draft picks. Where is every other team not in LA, Miami, Brooklyn, kinda Boston and tried to build through the draft? Is the current Philly “trust the process” roster resulting from 5 years of last place finishes the best you can hope for? Are the current Rockets worse than Philly? You have to hit on two star players, one won’t cut it. 

9 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Home Run Javy Baez GIF by Chicago Cubs

7 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Houston has failed to appeal to superstar NBA free agents forever. The lone exceptions was the Dwight Howard signing, but we’ve whiffed every other time we had cap room or attempted to get someone in a sign and trade. Barkley, Pippen, McGrady, Harden, Paul, Westbrook have all been through trades; Francis and Yao were #2 and #1 overall draft picks. Where is every other team not in LA, Miami, Brooklyn, kinda Boston and tried to build through the draft? Is the current Philly “trust the process” roster resulting from 5 years of last place finishes the best you can hope for? Are the current Rockets worse than Philly? You have to hit on two star players, one won’t cut it. 

Barkley and Pippen were coming regardless of a S&T.

On 9/13/2020 at 1:30 PM, TexArcher said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean.  That deal handcuffed the front office.  I'd be happy to see them eat the loss and trade Russ for whatever they can get and let Gordon and Tucker have the extra touches on offense.  But that isn't enough to win a championship.

I think we're stuck as a 3 to 5 seed who gets whipped in the second round for the next couple of years unless we strike gold in the draft.

This always happens to average to almost great teams that can't get over the hump and tread playoff water for years around a player while topping out as a conference final loser every now and then.  Have to tank next year and get into the lottery.  A 96-97 Spurs season where Robinson's injury year ended up being a blessing in disguise.

Edited by FondrenRoad

On 9/15/2020 at 11:53 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

Agree with all of this.  They were one Chris Paul injury from a championship a couple of years ago.  Morey's done just fine overall.