2019 - 2020 Houston Rockets Thread of Heroes Taking Shots

Slacks

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

This always happens to average to almost great teams that can't get over the hump and tread playoff water for years around a player while topping out as a conference final loser every now and then.  Have to tank next year and get into the lottery.  A 96-97 Spurs season where Robinson's injury year ended up being a blessing in disguise.

I will never understand people wanting to blow up a consistent top 4, 2nd round team to collect picks, drop to the lottery, and hope they get lucky enough to get right back into the position they were already in. The Rockets are not going to be the title favorites in the current NBA, but that doesn't mean you blow everything up. Any team in that situation is much better off continuing to be a top 4 seed, trying to get to the playoffs healthy, and then hope a good run of play and circumstance can get you to a title.

5 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

local sports talk radio lol

I know some of the guys on Pittsburgh's talk radio and I don't really enjoy talking to them so I sure as hell don't want to listen to them spend 10 minutes telling me what they are going to talk about in 10 minutes but then get interrupted by a hard break and never get around to talking about anything.

Nor do I want to listen to anyone talking, no matter whom, while I am driving.

I don't know why anyone listens to these guys, or any guys on talk radio. They are even worse than Stephen A and Goldie and Golic, etc etc.

On 9/16/2020 at 11:14 PM, TexArcher said:

Agree with all of this.  They were one Chris Paul injury from a championship a couple of years ago.  Morey's done just fine overall.

Competely agree and I still think that the Westbrook trade was all Fertitta. He's another Jerry Jones.

After doing some research, Westbrook is tradable for the Rockets so it won't be a surprise if a deal happens over the offseason. Greg Swartz from Bleacher Report came up with a great trade idea for the Rockets where they would get a lot in return. If the Rockets trade Westbrook and Robert Covington to the Indiana Pacers, they could possibly get PG Malcolm Brogdon, C Myles Turner, F Doug McDermott, G/F Jeremy Lamb, and a 2021 first-round pick (lottery-protected). The Rockets would get shooting, blocks, rebounds, and another player to build around for the future.

I can't see any way indiana goes for that, but I'm down if they are.

27 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

After doing some research, Westbrook is tradable for the Rockets so it won't be a surprise if a deal happens over the offseason. Greg Swartz from Bleacher Report came up with a great trade idea for the Rockets where they would get a lot in return. If the Rockets trade Westbrook and Robert Covington to the Indiana Pacers, they could possibly get PG Malcolm Brogdon, C Myles Turner, F Doug McDermott, G/F Jeremy Lamb, and a 2021 first-round pick (lottery-protected). The Rockets would get shooting, blocks, rebounds, and another player to build around for the future.

I'm sure Oladipo would love to run it out with Russ again. I do think that any new coach is not coming here to coach small ball, so this roster will be changing a lot.

22 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Always have to look at the other side.  What would possess Indiana to do this?  What is the benefit?  It only takes one sucker..... but I don't think Westbrook is an asset many teams want anymore.  You could argue that Brogdon and Turner are better players at this stage and going forward when you factor in contracts.  I would much rather have Brodgon on his contract (which is a bit rich) than Westbrook at his, so why would they give up a first rounder?  Maybe 28-29 year old Westbrook, but 32 year old?

Always have to look at the other side.  What would possess Indiana to do this?  What is the benefit?  It only takes one sucker..... but I don't think Westbrook is an asset many teams want anymore.  You could argue that Brogdon and Turner are better players at this stage and going forward when you factor in contracts.  I would much rather have Brodgon on his contract (which is a bit rich) than Westbrook at his, so why would they give up a first rounder?  Maybe 28-29 year old Westbrook, but 32 year old?
Yeah, I don't see RoCo giving enough value to offset Westbrooks cost and get a 1st. It's just a Bleacher Report guys suggestion, but I would do that trade. Breaking Westbrook up into a few smaller contracts is the first step, the market is too small for his current contract. Even if it means taking on a few bad contracts for a year, those will be easier to move than one gigantic one.

However, Harden and Westbrook are best buddies now, so I don't think James would want them to move him. This isn't a championship winning team, and if you know that's the case, wouldn't you rather have fun with your best friend on the court on your way to a second round exit?

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Indiana is stuck at their current level. They have 4 straight 1st round exits with the current group. Maybe changing things up will help them. Also depends on who the new coach is and what he wants. Same with the Rockets.

On 9/15/2020 at 11:53 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

The champions of the last decade have been:

Lebron + Wade + Bosh Heat

Duncan + Kawhi + Parker + Manu Spurs

Lebron + Kyrie + Love Cavs

Curry + Klay + Durant et al. Warriors 

Kawhi + Lowry et al. Raptors

I would like to see a Rockets championship as much as any Houstonian, but I don’t think it’s fair to crucify Morey for failing to beat the teams listed above. He went out and got Harden for almost nothing. He brought in Dwight Howard for the classic SG-big man duo but that failed. He tried mixing up the role players with guys like Ariza and that didn’t work. For as few (late first round) draft picks that he kept, he did take Capela and Chandler Parsons and they were both key contributors for a period. Morey started the analytics small ball transition by bringing in EG, Skip to my Lou, and Ryan Anderson, but that didn’t cut it so he got Chris Paul because the NBA said you need at least two stars who are prolific scorers. That didn’t work, and Paul had injury concerns and was going to be 35 with a huge contract, so Morey threw the dice again for Westbrook who is 4 years younger. I didn’t like it due to Russ’s poor outside shooting but I saw it as trying something to make a splash and hope for the best. For all rosters’ faults, they came close to beating the Warriors a couple times the past few seasons.

It’s not Morey’s fault that Harden has these cold stretches in the playoffs. Was he supposed to lure Lebron, Durant, or Kawhi to Houston as a free agent? How else were they supposed to defeat the champions of the last decade? Since we have no draft picks for a couple years, there’s no point in blowing it up now and tanking. He’d be Rumpelstiltskin if he could flip Westbrook and/or EG for three or four solid contributors, and then they’d still be reliant on Harden to never have more than one bad game per series. 

This is spot on. 

On 9/15/2020 at 3:21 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

Houston has failed to appeal to superstar NBA free agents forever. The lone exceptions was the Dwight Howard signing, but we’ve whiffed every other time we had cap room or attempted to get someone in a sign and trade. Barkley, Pippen, McGrady, Harden, Paul, Westbrook have all been through trades; Francis and Yao were #2 and #1 overall draft picks. Where is every other team not in LA, Miami, Brooklyn, kinda Boston and tried to build through the draft? Is the current Philly “trust the process” roster resulting from 5 years of last place finishes the best you can hope for? Are the current Rockets worse than Philly? You have to hit on two star players, one won’t cut it. 

I don't buy this.  NBA guys today are totally different.  You used to see them out in cities and hitting nightlife pretty hard.  The guys today (nonCovid years) are so locked in they're very rarely doing anything in season.  Maybe the occasional strip club - but Houston does ok with those anyway.  It's really the offseason where those guys have fun.  WB and KD were drafted there but they were just fine playing in OKC which is infinitely worse than what Houston has to offer and NBA player.  

3 hours ago, Pasken said:

Fair enough, do you have any targets in mind or approaches to the search?

All the targets have already been covered ad nauseam, but as to approaches, money whip Phil Jackson. That's actually what OKC should have done 7-8 seasons ago when they had Durant, Harden, and Westbrook on the same squad.

P.S. I would love to have Mario Elie on the next Rockets coaching staff.

51 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I'm struggling to find any reason why Doc Rivers would want to coach here, other than his reuniting with his kid.

Dysfunctional clown of an owner means Rockets are stuck with candidates who can't afford to be choosy.

Speaking of can't afford, can Tillman even afford to pay a good coach?

• Hook 'Em 1

Rockets dodged a bullet with Doc. Last thing a team/player with a history of playoff disappointments is hiring a coach with 3 of the biggest playoff choke jobs. You just got a small dose of that with Mad Mike.

And no more retreads like the Van Gundys. We've seen what they can do. I'd give Duncan a call. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Stepping down definitely means his direction of the team wasn’t being accepted by Fertitta who wanted  to go in a different direction. 

I would assume he gave him the option to resign instead of getting fired  

Fixed for accuracy 

Edited by TonyTexas

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Very possible...... It's astounding how the NBA repackages these guys.  It's like the mob, once you're made, you'll always have a job around the league.  Even Silas is Paul's kid.

Yea i was just about to post I don't understand how we keep going around the same mountain with the same guys.

The NBA has to have the smallest pool of Head Coaching candidates around. So weird guys like Sam Cassell doesn't get a opportunity.

On 10/6/2020 at 7:35 AM, Rockethorn1978 said:

So John Lucas is a candidate? I think Tillman is about to go after someone on the cheap. I still say hiring a guy that hasn’t had a chance again won’t be any different than going after tyron lue or JVG. Personally would love to see cassell.

I said this last week, and now I get a notification Lucas is probably the front runner and the Morey stepping down and they hired internally makes way more sense and if they hire Lucas it’s all because fertita is losing money and hiring on the cheap. 

Expect a fire sale next. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Very possible...... It's astounding how the NBA repackages these guys.  It's like the mob, once you're made, you'll always have a job around the league.  Even Silas is Paul's kid.

Silas is an up and comer from a coaching family and would be a good choice. A hard fuck no to John Lucas.