2019 - 2020 Houston Rockets Thread of Heroes Taking Shots

Slacks

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

or Sacramento, Minnesota, or Toronto, if the most you’ll get is a couple mid level guys and future first rounders. 

Harden would prefer Toronto because they are starting the season playing in Tampa Bay. Because, you know, strip clubs. 

Edited by TonyTexas

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

So now Tucker doesn't have to play center anymore.

I know if it's a sign and trade then it hard caps the Rockets, but that also means we have the full MLE left as well?

Yes I believe so. Christian Wood is a good pickup. Finally some good news from the Rockets. I have heard good things about our new GM before he got the top job. Graduated from Stanford law and left making a partner’s salary from a top law firm, Dewey Ballantine, to work up the food chain breaking into the NBA.

On 11/19/2020 at 10:53 PM, UDontKnow said:

This is the only sensible path.   Rushing to trade him where he wants to go makes no sense.   He has multiple yrs left on his deal.   I cannot imagine that there aren't a number of teams willing to set up a package for a MVP-level guy.   Fuck where you wanna go.

36 minutes ago, d2o said:

This is the only sensible path.   Rushing to trade him where he wants to go makes no sense.   He has multiple yrs left on his deal.   I cannot imagine that there aren't a number of teams willing to set up a package for a MVP-level guy.   Fuck where you wanna go.

I think you take the best package of players and picks you can, as quickly as possible. The Klay Thompson injury should be all the motivation needed to get a deal done. If either Harden or Westbrook goes down, the Rockets are fucked for 3 years. The organization needs to come to grips that Harden is not a guy you win a championship with as the #1 option. Westbrook is not a guy you win a championship with as the #1 or #2 option. You aren't going to ever get equal value for Harden, and that's ok.

Frankly, you should be making plans to be ready to contend in 2-3 years once Lebron is done playing at a high competitive level.

Edited by HtownHorn

This is where John Lucas needs to earn his money. He needs to have a come to Jesus conversation with Harden and Westbrook to get them to buy in.

The Rockets need to make some more moves though. No other ball handlers besides Harden and Westbrook (Rivers foolishly opted out) and could use another big (to back up Wood, maybe a more traditional rebounding, shot blocking type).

EDIT: Brooklyn is really trying to recreate the old OKC Thunder (see below)

Edited by UDontKnow

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

This is where John Lucas needs to earn his money. He needs to have a come to Jesus conversation with Harden and Westbrook to get them to buy in.

The Rockets need to make some more moves though. No other ball handlers besides Harden and Westbrook (Rivers foolishly opted out) and could use another big (to back up Wood, maybe a more traditional rebounding, shot blocking type).

EDIT: Brooklyn is really trying to recreate the old OKC Thunder (see below)

Except changing out Kyrie for Russ.

41 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Well, in that case go get Aron Baynes.

Noel has no place on the Rockets. He has no offense. You can't ever have two non-shooters on the court with Harden. A guy like Cousins is able to create and shoot from BTA. Granted he's 30 and coming off two bad injuries, but he's still better than Baynes.

• Hook 'Em 1

“I’d give it a 50-50 chance,” Iko said of a Westbrook-Wall swap. “With the state of uncertainty surrounding the Rockets’ two best players, you really can’t rule anything out. Wall for Westbrook would be a pretty clean swap cap-wise, and James Harden and Wall have a good relationship … I think the deal becomes much more likely if the Rockets receive the sort of draft compensation they’re looking for, recouping some of what they lost in the Chris Paul trade.”

Not sure what Wall as left, but I do think if healthy he's a better fit next to James than Russ.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Not sure what Wall as left, but I do think if healthy he's a better fit next to James than Russ.

I'm not averse to getting John Wall because he's a better off the ball player than Westbrook, but I highly doubt the Rockets get the picks that they want back in that trade scenario. Westbrook's value is down right now after the playoffs and questions continue to loom about his health.

On a different note, hopefully the Rockets get Cousins since pretty much no other worthwhile big is available. Christian Wood actually played quite well when on the court with Andre Drummond in Detroit, (especially pick and roll) so I would be intrigued with a starting line up that features Wood and Cousins. On the flip side, that would be two technical foul magnets in Westbrook (assuming he's not traded) and Cousins.

Edited by UDontKnow

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm not averse to getting John Wall because he's a better off the ball player than Westbrook, but I highly doubt the Rockets get the picks that they want back in that trade scenario. Westbrook's value is down right now after the playoffs and questions continue to loom about his health.

On a different note, hopefully the Rockets get Cousins since pretty much no other worthwhile big is available. Christian Wood actually played quite well when on the court with Andre Drummond in Detroit, (especially pick and roll) so I would be intrigued with a starting line up that features Wood and Cousins. On the flip side, that would be two technical foul magnets in Westbrook (assuming he's not traded) and Cousins.

I think you work Cousins back into a starting role slowly, but I agree having two bigs with the ability to create their own shots would not be something the Rockets have had since the original twin towers.

Guys, got a money question. I had Rocket season tickets from 79-95.  I recognize that things are much different  but today it seems like salaries are out of control. I don't begrudge any kid from making as much as they can but it seems like things  are getting out of control. 5.10,20 million  a year contracts are the norm. Are the TV revenues great enough to support these salaries?

Just curious for some opinions. Thanks.

36 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Guys, got a money question. I had Rocket season tickets from 79-95.  I recognize that things are much different  but today it seems like salaries are out of control. I don't begrudge any kid from making as much as they can but it seems like things  are getting out of control. 5.10,20 million  a year contracts are the norm. Are the TV revenues great enough to support these salaries?

Yes. David Stern (even though I hate him) was instrumental in getting the first huge TV deal in the late 90s with ABC/ESPN thanks to the playoff TV ratings of NBA on NBC (truly the greatest NBA broadcast in my opinion, but at the end of the day $$$ talks and bullshit walks). Then came the Chinese TV market after our own Yao Ming was drafted in 2002. Stern was greatly responsible for having the NBA reach an international audience. If you had season tickets through '95, then you must recall the Rockets losing to the Sonics (I fucking hated that team long before I hated the Lakers and the Mavericks) twice in Yokohama, Japan to start off the 1992 season (I was in elementary school when that happened). Stern had a long term vision for the league which gradually materialized over time.

5 hours ago, realgreggym said:

If you think the players salaries are out of control imagine how much the guys that pay them those salaries make.

10 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Not any more. The finals lost 70% of it's audience from the previous season. I think the NBA is going to be hemorrhaging money due to the what is going on this country both from the political side of things and the pandemic. The best thing that can happen for the NBA and baseball too, is that an effective vaccine is delivered before the end of the year.

Thanks for the responses. I will partially agree about the comments of the owners. Granted some may have been born with a silver spoon in their mouths but some

started with nothing and took risks to get where they are now. Many of you may be looking at the end results rather than where they started.  But agree on Tortilla.

Gordon for Darius Miller and George Hill would work financially. Takes care of two needs for the Rockets. Hill replaces Rives and Miller would replace Green.

Then the rotation would look something like...

Westbrook, Harden(.363), House(.369), Tucker(.361), Wood(.368)

Hill(.384), Miller(.382), McLemore(.366), and Cousins(.332).

That's a lot of good floor spacing.

Edited by HtownHorn

59 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gordon for Darius Miller and George Hill would work financially. Takes care of two needs for the Rockets. Hill replaces Rives and Miller would replace Green.

Then the rotation would look something like...

Westbrook, Harden(.363), House(.369), Tucker(.361), Wood(.368)

Hill(.384), Miller(.382), McLemore(.366), and Cousins(.332).

That's a lot of good floor spacing.

LOL nobody is taking Eric Gordon's shitty contract without some assets going with it. That's a terrible contract especially for a guy on the wrong side of 30 with an injury history a mile long. On the list of Darryl Morey's fuck ups, Gordon's contract is right up there with the one he gave Ryan Anderson. 

Boogie Cousins is well worth rolling the dice on, especially for minimum dollars. I mean, why the hell not? Plus, the spectacle of watching him, Harden and Westbrook try to share the ball under the direction of a rookie head coach should be magnificent. 

• Hook 'Em 1