2019 - 2020 Houston Rockets Thread of Heroes Taking Shots

Slacks

18 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

They're without their #2 player tonight and still kicking our ass. 

The performance coming out of halftime is inexcusable. No AD, No Rondo and losing the 3rd quarter at home by 15 points.

9 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

What’s the point of keeping D’Antoni around at this point? House has been absolute dogshit tonight and should have been pulled. Guys like Hartenstein should be getting minutes but we still have his idiotic 7-8 man rotations. This team plays a really unappealing style of basketball. I have had a hard time watching this team this year.

Keeping D'Antoni around is probably just for perception. "Sorry Mike, over the course of your contract your performance has tailed off and we're looking (allegedly) to win a Championship." For that matter, Dork Elvis should be shown the door as well for hiring and extending the likes of Kevin McHale and Mike D'Antoni. Screw analytics. The Rockets need management and coaching that actually possess basketball minds.

This is just a poorly coached team with a poorly constructed roster. The lack of length is a killer and Moreyball should be thrown in the garbage. No pure 3 point shooters on the roster to compliment Harden. Morey’s seat should be hot too. He’s done a shitty job in filling in this roster the past 2 seasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

This is just a poorly coached team with a poorly constructed roster. The lack of length is a killer and Moreyball should be thrown in the garbage. No pure 3 point shooters on the roster to compliment Harden. Morey’s seat should be hot too. He’s done a shitty job in filling in this roster the past 2 seasons.

Clemons is our pure 3 point shooter but he's 5'9" and I suppose too much of a defensive liability. Perhaps coaches feel our already putrid defense would get worse if he got more PT

Edited by perfectchaos007

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Wow, we’re playing you tonight. I don’t troll this thread.  Whatever.  And icono, I bowed out of that thread, but I had a legit axe to grind with Astros fans.  You all are pretty fucking sensitive.  I’ll stay out of Houston specific threads.  Obviously pretty touchy.   

We just had the worst week in Houston sports history. Yeah we’re a little touchy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

This is what happens the GM is an arrogant douche who doesn't stay in his lane and wants to hire coaches that coach his philosophy. Rockets fans can only hope that Fertita is truly invested as a team owner and this isn't just another profitable business for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Losing to LA in the regular season isn’t that big of a deal, losing to Memphis and Portland before them and now to LA is a huge deal. 3 game losing streak and our biggest issue is a shitty supporting cast around harden and Westbrook. If they had anyone that could fucking hit a shot consistently we would have won the last 3 games. I’m getting to the end of my rope with morey and this roster and not sure what he could even add to make us better at this point with basically no draft picks left.

All we have as assets to flip would be Gordon and capella and what could they even get us that would make us better? I’m not sure at this point.

I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the supporting cast. Remember when Westbrook never had  help? Remember what happened to Oladipo after he got out from under Westbrook’s soul-sucking ball hogging? 

Harden is #1 in usage and Westbrook is #8. Maybe they’re tired of being told to shut up and stand in the corner.

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

lol.  and who is victor oladipo on this rockets team?  danuel house?

House has been awful this year. Looks like he got paid and is dogging it on defense and his shooting has been garbage. I almost rather be in the Grizzlies situation rebuilding with a young and up and coming star like Ja Morant than the purgatory we are in. Like the Texans, the Rockets gave up huge draft capital in the next few years that will hurt. It doesn't help that we have mediocre coaching at best for these teams.

The main problem with the Rockets right now is defensive effort and not having enough people who are actually making 3s. Tucker, House, and Rivers all have zero confidence right now. Through November, Tucker and House were both around 45% shooting 3s but have dropped to right around 30% for the rest of the season. Add in Harden's recent struggles and the team has really been shit since the first quarter against the Hawks. Gary Clark getting waived the day before that Hawks game to get in position to avoid the luxury tax didn't exactly help things either.

I do think the roster as currently constructed can with the championship this year, but not how they are currently playing. Keep playing like this and it's a first round loss that isn't an upset because the Rockets will be the 6-7 seed. Would like to see a trade to bring in a big wing that can shoot (what team wouldn't?) but the Rockets have basically no salaries to match with.

This team just isn’t very good. The bench fucking blows. 

tucker 1-3

house 1-4

gordon 1-8

if we had anyone else that could hit a fucking shot we would be up by 10 easy. The role players are not good and I fully expect morey to do something. I’d keep tucker for defense and hustle but everyone else needs to be traded.

Harden 1-17 haha. 

maybe I’m just pissed after the Texans and then the Astros but we have tried like every possible combination known to man to win with harden and it’s just not happening. At some point we will either be ok with just what we are or we are open to trading everyone for draft picks and rebuilding. 

5 hours ago, goatsaag said:

The main problem with the Rockets right now is defensive effort and not having enough people who are actually making 3s. Tucker, House, and Rivers all have zero confidence right now. Through November, Tucker and House were both around 45% shooting 3s but have dropped to right around 30% for the rest of the season. Add in Harden's recent struggles and the team has really been shit since the first quarter against the Hawks. Gary Clark getting waived the day before that Hawks game to get in position to avoid the luxury tax didn't exactly help things either.

I do think the roster as currently constructed can with the championship this year, but not how they are currently playing. Keep playing like this and it's a first round loss that isn't an upset because the Rockets will be the 6-7 seed. Would like to see a trade to bring in a big wing that can shoot (what team wouldn't?) but the Rockets have basically no salaries to match with.

Gimme whatever you're smoking, cuz that's some good shit.

Harden is not a championship caliber player. I'm sorry. 1-17 from 3 point land. It's not the fact that he's missing the 3 point shot, he refuses to adapt throughout the game. If your 3 point shot is off...here's an idea, try to live in the paint or try to set up your teammates (although that part is not his fault thanks to the offensive system of standing around). No excuse for blowing a 16 point lead entering the 4th quarter. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Gimme whatever you're smoking, cuz that's some good shit.

Harden is not a championship caliber player. I'm sorry. 1-17 from 3 point land. It's not the fact that he's missing the 3 point shot, he refuses to adapt throughout the game. If your 3 point shot is off...here's an idea, try to live in the paint or try to set up your teammates (although that part is not his fault thanks to the offensive system of standing around). No excuse for blowing a 16 point lead entering the 4th quarter. 

You watching the games? Harden was 1-14 from 3 going into the 4th quarter. The Rockets were up 16. His shooting was trash but it wasn't what lost the game. And Harden was 8-12 in the paint and had 6 assists. He is getting in the paint and trying to setup his teammates.

The problem (as mentioned in the quoted post) is the defense. Giving up 41 points in the 4th is what lost this game.

5 hours ago, goatsaag said:

You watching the games? Harden was 1-14 from 3 going into the 4th quarter. The Rockets were up 16. His shooting was trash but it wasn't what lost the game. And Harden was 8-12 in the paint and had 6 assists. He is getting in the paint and trying to setup his teammates.

The problem (as mentioned in the quoted post) is the defense. Giving up 41 points in the 4th is what lost this game.

After he goes 1-14 from 3 after three quarters, he should have the sense to figure out that the 3 is not working for him. In fact, he was 1-10 at half. Why does he keep doing this? He has missed at 16 3 point attempts in six different games, 3 of those games he made no more than 2 3 point attempts, and two of those three games have occurred this season. 

Defense is definitely a problem (I will spare the thread from another rehash about Harden's lazy man defense). But when your team scores only 4 points in the last 7:18 of the final frame, the team is having also having an offensive problem (even if it is intermittent scoring droughts).

I only quoted you because you're dead wrong about this Rockets roster being championship level (neither is the coach for that matter). The Rockets can't even do a rebuild because they have no draft picks (thanks Daryl Morey!) and us fans are stuck with mediocrity for the foreseeable future. I would gladly eat crow if proven otherwise. 

Houston has a serious rivalry going with OKC and many fans haven't recognized it yet. They want to beat Houston's ass - bad. They want to make Houston look like team full of punk-ass bitches. It's OKC. They are Okies. And they hate Texas. To top it all off - you took their best player.

BY KRISTIE RIEKEN, AP Sports Writer

HOUSTON (AP) — After scoring 27 points in the first half against his former team, Chris Paul was on the bench during a big Oklahoma City run in the fourth quarter when a Thunder fan began yelling at coach Billy Donovan to put the veteran guard back in the game.

Paul turned to the man and gave him a look that indicated the group on the floor was doing just fine before asking him: “Do you not see the score?”

Paul scored 28 points and Danilo Gallinari added 25 as the Thunder rallied from a 15-point fourth-quarter deficit to beat cold-shooting James Harden and the Houston Rockets 112-107 on Monday.

While Paul exulted in what he said might be his team's best win of the season, Harden delayed his postgame shower for some extra work on his shooting after the Rockets lost their season-worst fourth straight.

I think Harden knows what's up. He is refamiliarizing himself with the sight-lines for his shots. That's what good players do. 

Houston is one of the 4 elite in the West. The thirsty pack is not far behind elite status teams. It is another tight year in the West, which is filled with talent. Every game matters. Rivalries matter a lot. 

I like my Denver Nuggets getting slept on again. We were dogs to the Minnesota Timberwolves tonight. Stupid. OKC was 7 point dogs to the Rockets. Stupid. The late smart money moved to the Nuggets money line and OKC getting the points. They beat your ass in the 4th quarter (just like Indiana beat our ass in the final 4 minutes last night). That happens.

You were playing a rival who wants to beat your ass. CP3 wants to prove Houston made a mistake. Harden needs to shoot better in this game - no doubt. Or he needs to lean in a little more and draw his trademark fouls more often. Whatever it takes. Westbrook needs to school his old team. 

Houston is fine. Please don't make dumb trades with Western Conference teams - please. Trade with the East. All of those guys want to be in the West anyway. The West is where its at in the NBA. That may change next year with the rules changes that have been proposed. So enjoy the glory of the Western Conference without the stacked GSW. 

7 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

After he goes 1-14 from 3 after three quarters, he should have the sense to figure out that the 3 is not working for him. In fact, he was 1-10 at half. Why does he keep doing this? He has missed at 16 3 point attempts in six different games, 3 of those games he made no more than 2 3 point attempts, and two of those three games have occurred this season. 

Defense is definitely a problem (I will spare the thread from another rehash about Harden's lazy man defense). But when your team scores only 4 points in the last 7:18 of the final frame, the team is having also having an offensive problem (even if it is intermittent scoring droughts).

I only quoted you because you're dead wrong about this Rockets roster being championship level (neither is the coach for that matter). The Rockets can't even do a rebuild because they have no draft picks (thanks Daryl Morey!) and us fans are stuck with mediocrity for the foreseeable future. I would gladly eat crow if proven otherwise. 

They are protected picks, and the Rockets could still trade Westbrook and Harden and get back assets for both right now. The only contract that is utterly useless is Gordon's.

On 1/20/2020 at 6:53 PM, Brothahorn said:

Morey’s system/talent evaluation is not championship caliber.

Mad Mike is not a championship coach.

Harden is not a championship player.

I’ve come to accept that. As constructed and coached, they are a entertaining regular season team. The rest of you will as well.

Feels like Morey threw in the towel after China. Signed the Gordon contract and seems to just be waiting to be fired after the season. 

On 1/21/2020 at 8:41 AM, HtownHorn said:

They are protected picks, and the Rockets could still trade Westbrook and Harden and get back assets for both right now. The only contract that is utterly useless is Gordon's.

Harden sure, but nobody is going to be giving up assets to take on a contract that pays Russ $46.6 million/yr at age 34. 

You know what would look really good around Harden right now? Patrick Beverly, Lou Williams and Montrezl Harrell. Those three combine to make $29.5 million this year. Westbrook alone makes $38 million. I get why Morey made the deal for Paul and if not for his injury, maybe they have a ring but could you imagine what they could have been if he left well enough alone and also had more assets/picks/cap room to maneuver? 

46 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

My biggest issue with Morey is where are the draft picks? 12 years and what player has the organization drafted and developed? Is capella his best pick? Ridiculous.

Morey believes in trading for stars from other teams to compose a superstar lineup. Who needs to develop players? Draft picks? Meh, don't need those either.

4 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Russ trying to have a 20/20 night

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Russ trying to have a 20/20 night

Seeing Scraps in this thread is a breath of fresh air.

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

My biggest issue with Morey is where are the draft picks? 12 years and what player has the organization drafted and developed? Is capella his best pick? Ridiculous.

Chandler Parsons was a good pick as well. They developed him, his body just broke down. Other that those 2, you have a lot of whiffs, especially passing on Leonard for Morris, and the next draft when he got Lamb, which he turned into Harden. The other 2 picks were White and Jones. That draft was the Draymond draft, not to mention Middleton. Both were 2nd round picks.

Something tells me Harden, Leonard, Draymond, and Middleton would have won a couple of championships by now.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Chandler Parsons was a good pick as well. They developed him, his body just broke down. Other that those 2, you have a lot of whiffs, especially passing on Leonard for Morris, and the next draft when he got Lamb, which he turned into Harden. The other 2 picks were White and Jones. That draft was the Draymond draft, not to mention Middleton. Both were 2nd round picks.

Something tells me Harden, Leonard, Draymond, and Middleton would have won a couple of championships by now.

The Royce White pick was simply inexcusable.

Good game Houston. See you Sunday after my roughed up nuggets play NOP. This is Denver's toughest part of the schedule, so having 5 of the top 9 players out - hurts. But injuries are part of the game. 

Jokic had a triple-double - which shows how useless that stat can be. 

Good luck against the Wolves.

• Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

My biggest issue with Morey is where are the draft picks? 

Contributing on other teams. I'd say he has a pretty good track record considering the Rockets ADP during his tenure.

Looking back on their draft history, the highest pick Morey has ever had was #12 in 2012. (Hired as assistant GM in '06, took over in '07)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/draft.html

Some solid names on this list. Patrick Patterson, Batum, Montrez Harrell, Mirotic, Marcus Morris...

Edited by CurlyDumps

22 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Contributing on other teams. I'd say he has a pretty good track record considering the Rockets ADP during his tenure.

Looking back on their draft history, the highest pick Morey has ever had was #12 in 2012. (Hired as assistant GM in '06, took over in '07)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/draft.html

Some solid names on this list. Patrick Patterson, Batum, Montrez Harrell, Mirotic, Marcus Morris...

Having kept and developed a couple of those guys might have helped get them to the Finals. 

honestly, as bad things have been over the past couple of weeks, if westbrook can consistently play at 75% the level he played last night, gordon can play consistently like he has the last two games and harden gets out of his slump, it's still a really good team.

would definitely like another wing, but fertitta seems to care about missing the luxury tax more than anything so i doubt that happens.

7 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

honestly, as bad things have been over the past couple of weeks, if westbrook can consistently play at 75% the level he played last night, gordon can play consistently like he has the last two games and harden gets out of his slump, it's still a really good team.

would definitely like another wing, but fertitta seems to care about missing the luxury tax more than anything so i doubt that happens.

Lulz on Gordon. He's never been consistent when it matters the most.