NSIAP: Amazon HQ2, more jobs and traffic jams

Grippe

Incidentally, that is the same Arlington that we first noted may have been "unwittingly revealed" in mid-February by Amazon's own employees, when a local website observed a surprising spike in traffic emerging from an internal Amazon.com webpage.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-12/hedge-fund-bets-10-million-it-knows-location-amazons-hq2

So which site is more likely...
Broadmoore - IBM campus in Domain
Catalyst  - downtown 
Statesman Building  + Catalyst Campus -  downtown 
3M Campus - west hills 
Robinson Ranch - tech triangle 
Eightfold - former Motorola campus in East Austin 

My money is on Robinson Ranch if it comes here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my favorite threads to check recently at the old site.
Looks like Amazon is flying it's folks from city to city - do we have a flight tracker request available?
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/02/amazon-hq2-visits-heres-what-executives-are-asking-about.html
DC is no.1 just because of the political capital Amazon will be able to buy. Austin is next best location.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon to add 2,000 jobs in Boston

Amazon is adding 2,000 jobs to its Boston tech hub in fields including cloud computing and speech science, the company announced Tuesday.

Boston is one of the tech giant's largest footholds and is a finalist to win the company's second headquarters. Amazon has been paying visits to each of the 20 North American finalists.

Amazon said Tuesday it's invested more than $400 million in Massachusetts since 2011, adding corporate offices and fulfillment centers.

"In just a few years, we've grown from a handful of software developers and scientists to a team of more than 1,200, inventing new capabilities and products on behalf of millions of customers around the world," Rohit Prasad, Amazon's Boston-based head scientist for Alexa, said in a statement.

The Amazon Alexa smart assistant faces growing competition from Google's and Apple's versions. Smart assistants are increasingly taking on new and complex tasks, with Amazon announcing last week that Alexa would soon gain memory and hold contextual conversations.

The Boston jobs news follows a similar announcement on Monday in which Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Amazon would be adding 3,000 jobs in Vancouver, British Columbia.

On 4/12/2018 at 1:33 PM, Fico said:

Robinson Ranch, same as above - construction/zoning timeline push this out.

Robinson Ranch is already zoned (PUD) for this and has been for years. It also has existing arterial and collector level stubs on all sides of the property (Howard Ln, 620, SH45, MOPAC Toll)and utility on some sides and close on the other.

It is the most ready piece of property being considered, I'd guess.

The 3M site is terrible for them because the road network to get to it already needs billions of dollars of improvements just to make them passable.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I assume most of you assholes live in Austin.

{Serious Question Disclaimer} Why in the ever loving fuck would you want an Amazon HQ in Austin? Isn't there enough traffic already? Have you not noticed the smog or the crowds?

I’ve lived in Houston & Austin. 

Austin traffic is laughable in comparison 

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’ve lived in Houston & Austin. 

Austin traffic is laughable in comparison 

Not on a per-mile traveled basis.

I remember driving 45 minutes in Houston.  That got me 15 miles from where I started.

In Austin, that sometimes gets you 5-7 miles from where you started.

I want Amazon to STAY THE FUCK AWAY.  We don't have the infrastructure for the people and growth rate that we have.  Some estimates have the total population impact of Amazon HQ2, counting the 50k employees, their family members, and other businesses and people who end up here to serve that growth, as around 200k.

This town has already split its pants without upsizing them.  We take that on, and our pants will explode into a puff of fabric, leaving our junk dangling in the wind.  We can't handle that amount of growth.

57 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I remember driving 45 minutes in Houston.  That got me 15 miles from where I started.

I want Amazon to STAY THE FUCK AWAY.  We don't have the infrastructure for the people and growth rate that we have.  Some estimates have the total population impact of Amazon HQ2, counting the 50k employees, their family members, and other businesses and people who end up here to serve that growth, as around 200k.

This town has already split its pants without upsizing them.  We take that on, and our pants will explode into a puff of fabric, leaving our junk dangling in the wind.  We can't handle that amount of growth.

I have never known this to be a bad thing.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

When the fuck does this get announced?  I need to know if I should sell my house now or wait.

I think I've read both later this summer or sometime in the fall. It might depend on whether they whittle down the shortlist some more to really get the bribing...er...bidding shitshow started.

4 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I assume most of you assholes live in Austin.

{Serious Question Disclaimer} Why in the ever loving fuck would you want an Amazon HQ in Austin? Isn't there enough traffic already? Have you not noticed the smog or the crowds?

The employment/population increase numbers are overstated because everyone jumps to the 50K at the end. They're not coming all at once. There's no reason we couldn't build the infrastructure to support it based upon the incremental benefits it would bring.

Regardless, our do nothing Council has sent a clear message that we are anti-growth, and it has resonated on a national basis. Amazon knows what's up and will respond accordingly.

Guest Lobo
36 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

There is no reason we couldn’t build the infrastructure....except we don’t do that here. Mopac out front should have told you.

What're you talking about?  As soon as Amazon ships those new soundwalls panels in to replace the broken ones...we're totally back in business.  I'm not a huge fan of HQ2 coming here except to see Mayor Adler become more and more ineffectual as Bezos' little bitch.  They all talk a tough game at City Hall but they'll suck so much development taint, it's kinda sad.  

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I actually think the only place that could work would be the old Motorola site on Ed Bluestein. It’s the only area that could possibly handle that type of growth. Far East austin, Manor and Elgin can handle, maybe even use, a lot more growth.

22 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I actually think the only place that could work would be the old Motorola site on Ed Bluestein. It’s the only area that could possibly handle that type of growth. Far East austin, Manor and Elgin can handle, maybe even use, a lot more growth.

It really is the only place that would work.

10 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I laugh at all of you Austin folks regarding traffic vs. Houston.  You guys whine if the trip from Tarrytown to downtown takes more than 10 minutes.  Or if Cedar Park to 183/I-35 is 20 minutes.

There are plenty of times that downtown to NW Hills, around 7 miles, takes 50+ minutes.  Again, minutes per mile, Austin is among the worst in the country.

With inadequate infrastructure.  So let’s add 200k people.

11 minutes ago, skipperj said:

How do we have rush hour traffic? If you go to bars and stuff during the day, it seems like nobody works in this town.

This has some truth to it. Austin is like an episode of Mad Men except nobody comes close to wearing a suit.

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It really is the only place that would work.

There are plenty of times that downtown to NW Hills, around 7 miles, takes 50+ minutes.  Again, minutes per mile, Austin is among the worst in the country.

With inadequate infrastructure.  So let’s add 200k people.

I've lived in both and still travel to Austin regularly. Austin's traffic may get more intense for short periods of time at morning and evening rush hour. But Houston's traffic is consistently worse. And rush hour lasts at least 2 hours longer in Houston than in Austin. There really isn't a comparison between the two. Not saying Austin shouldn't add more lanes/roads and practical mass transit. But it isn't the traffic hell y'all make it out to be. I mean, I live 6 miles from work, and it takes on average 35-45 minutes whether I leave at 7:00 am or 9:00 am.  

Edited by Dahobbs

11 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I've lived in both and still travel to Austin regularly. Austin's traffic may get more intense for short periods of time at morning and evening rush hour. But Houston's traffic is consistently worse. And rush hour lasts at least 2 hours longer in Houston than in Austin. There really isn't a comparison between the two. Not saying Austin shouldn't add more lanes/roads and practical mass transit. But it isn't the traffic hell y'all make it out to be. I mean, I live 6 miles from work, and it takes on average 35-45 minutes whether I leave at 7:00 am or 9:00 am.  

i've lived in both and find austin to be the worst. probably depends on what exact route you take. 

everyone thinks their weather and traffic is the worst

i love driving in houston because you have lanes and shit. like lots of them. its glorious. 

15 minutes ago, staboner said:

i've lived in both and find austin to be the worst. probably depends on what exact route you take. 

everyone thinks their weather and traffic is the worst

i love driving in houston because you have lanes and shit. like lots of them. its glorious. 

And everyone is aggressive as hell and is trying to kill you in Houston.  Which is awesome, because that's PREDICTABLE.

In Austin, everyone has their head up their ass, and you have no idea what they'll do next -- just be assured, it will be something selfish, clueless, and stupid.

• Haha 1

You guys know that Amazon isn't going to locate in a state with the potential to pass what it perceives as anti-LGBTQ legislation, right?  I mean, I guess it's possible, but there are ares like NY, MA, and DC that are giving equivalent subsidies and bennies as Dallas and ATX.

Looks like the AMZN/Seattle marriage is one step closer to divorce:

On Tuesday, Amazon abruptly suspended construction on the buildout of additional office real estate in its hometown of Seattle. The company said it was waiting to see how the city council votes this month on a proposal that would tax Amazon and other big Seattle employers about $500 per local employee. 

The funds — an estimated $75 million a year with around a third of that coming from Amazon — would be earmarked for initiatives to help stem Seattle’s homeless crisis through programs for the homeless and the development of low-income housing units.

https://www.recode.net/2018/5/3/17313866/amazon-seattle-head-tax-donald-trump-jeff-bezos

Edited by Aqua Buddha

On 5/2/2018 at 10:40 AM, Bateshorn said:

You guys know that Amazon isn't going to locate in a state with the potential to pass what it perceives as anti-LGBTQ legislation, right?  I mean, I guess it's possible, but there are ares like NY, MA, and DC that are giving equivalent subsidies and bennies as Dallas and ATX.

The Washington Post reported Friday that Amazon has decided to limit its criteria for choosing a second headquarters to states that have laws in place to protect gay and transgender people.

Edited by troph

On 5/1/2018 at 4:12 PM, Brisketexan said:

The only way the city council will get its head out of its ass is if things get so bad with prices and traffic they have no other viable choice.  And even then, they still might not, but at least, unlike now, there will be a chance.

Bring on Amazon!

5 minutes ago, Hellraiser97 said:

The only way the city council will get its head out of its ass is if things get so bad with prices and traffic they have no other viable choice.  And even then, they still might not, but at least, unlike now, there will be a chance.

Bring on Amazon!

They'll appoint a blue-ribbon commission, spend millions on it, and give it a charge that includes determining how we can install hovering bike lanes, create green space on top of every citizen's head, appoint a Head Art Critic to vet all decisions of the Fire Department, and oh yeah, maybe look at some traffic shit.

They'll appoint a blue-ribbon commission, spend millions on it, and give it a charge that includes determining how we can install hovering bike lanes, create green space on top of every citizen's head, appoint a Head Art Critic to vet all decisions of the Fire Department, and oh yeah, maybe look at some traffic shit.

True, but that will be entertaining and we’re fucked already so why not?

Fuck OU