Cats. The Movie.

Parliament

38 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yea Cats has some great design elements and a few terrific songs but the story is just so fucking meh and that's the musical....I'm quite sure this will suck worse.

I love fucking  the little fuckers that are cats, and this nails it.  People Men in cat suits are freaky, and not freaky in a good way.

Edited by TwiceHorn
Fifm.

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

Did we really need to see Rebel in a cat outfit?  For fucks sake, Eartha Kitt would look better in it in her current condition than RW does. 

She looked like a ham that had been rolled in sawdust

• Like 2

I'm not entirely sure why we have to see Rebel Wilson in any movie.

As to Cats...I'm having weird flashbacks to my childhood when my mom would put the Cats soundtrack on every Saturday morning while we cleaned house.  IIRC, my brothers and I may have gotten dragged to a showing of this play at the State Fair.

26 minutes ago, Parliament said:

A Broadway musical at the fair? Classy

The State Fair has a music hall.

The Music Hall at Fair Park is a 3,420 seat performing arts facility in Dallas, Texas's Fair Park that opened on October 10, 1925. The building is of Spanish Baroque style with Moorish architectural influences, containing six stair towers capped with cast domes and arcade porches overlooking Fair Park

A lot of people hear “a magical feline journey told through song and dance” and immediately think of gays and middle age single women.  What this movie presupposes is “what if they didn’t?”

My parents went to college with Betty Buckley (cockroaches) who originally played the cat that sings Memories (more famous as Abby in Eight is Enough and more recently as the psychiatrist in Split).  So needless to say, the soundtrack got put on repeat in our house when I was 7 or so.  Our cats were named after the cats in the play, too.  Kill me now, now that this movie is coming out. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil

28 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

My parents went to college with Betty Buckley (cockroaches) who originally played the cat that sings Memories (more famous as Abby in Eight is Enough and more recently as the psychiatrist in Split).  So needless to say, the soundtrack got put on repeat in our house when I was 7 or so.  Our cats were named after the cats in the play, too.  Kill me now, now that this movie is coming out. 

LOL.  I'm pretty sure I got Betty Buckley's autograph after the showing of Cats per my aforementioned visit to the State Fair.

I come from a family of musicals/plays.  Somehow this gene skipped over me.  My parents, brothers, nieces, and nephews are all musically inclined and can listen to musical soundtracks for days.  I can't stand them.  My mom, btw, was a stage manager at Dallas Summer Musicals for the past 15 or so years before retiring last year.

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don't get it...are they people playing real cats?  Or are they people playing people have sorta turned themsevles into cats?  

yeah, if they were gonna go CG they should have just made them real cats.    That shit looks creepy as fuck

On 7/19/2019 at 3:31 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

As to Cats...I'm having weird flashbacks to my childhood when my mom would put the Cats soundtrack on every Saturday morning while we cleaned house.  IIRC, my brothers and I may have gotten dragged to a showing of this play at the State Fair.

same, but Fort Worth.  State Fair was Les Mis

In the latest twitter outrage, people are enraged that the Nazis who made this movie are whitewashing the black main actress.

https://www.insider.com/cats-movie-criticism-whitewashing-francesca-hayward-2019-7

They're saying that you can barely tell that she's black. The lead actress is Kenyan and in this movie she plays the character Victoria, a white cat.

First of all, can we take a moment to recognize the heroism of the people tweeting this. But I have a solution that should make everyone happy - CGI blackface.