Woodworking, DIY, and home repair thread

Mojo Hand

Carpet is out and carpet tacks are up. Next will be painting the ceiling and walls. While that’s happening, I’ll be washing the rubber mats. I went with the horse stall mats. They have been outside and don’t smell much. Going to lay them out a few more times before I install.

6239ec6366b78020d3be81b2f237ed80.jpg

5 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Carpet is out and carpet tacks are up. Next will be painting the ceiling and walls. While that’s happening, I’ll be washing the rubber mats. I went with the horse stall mats. They have been outside and don’t smell much. Going to lay them out a few more times before I install.

6239ec6366b78020d3be81b2f237ed80.jpg

Has your carpet been picked up by trash yet?  Did you happen to cut into strips around 6’ wide?  Asking for my deer blind I’m about to start building. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

It has not been picked up. There are two large sections. And one smaller one. I’m outside of Houston if you want them.

Briefly discussed on TOS, I’m only about 1000’ from you.   If it’s not on the curb for tomorrow, I’d be interested in grabbing it. Starting to build a blind in the next few weeks. 

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

519e6b1b3bf1ae55473815ee5da1f5e5.mov

I painted one of the walls in the garage with 24’ of greatness.

Nice, my wife and kids painted my son's room with a TX flag when I was on an overseas trip.  One wall is the flag and the others red, white and blue.  Around the ceiling are flags from about 20 countries I visited for work.  Looks pretty good.

• Like 1

Those are pretty awesome. How's the back/bottom braced?

Pretty much nada
The front of the seat is screwed/glued onto the front cross support piece you see
Same for the back (bevel cut on the top piece running behind the back)
Where the two pieces of plywood meet in the back/bottom, a bunch of pocket holes/screws and glue.

The bottom “frame” on the floor is tied together with a cross piece to give the overall chair some extra support (i.e. the bottom is an H)

We’ll see if this is a “one season” chair or if I’m going to get some life out it

I wish I could say I came up with the plans myself, but I’m pretty much a wood working novice and not creative at all. I can, however, follow high level directions pretty well. Found the plans for $10 on some diy YouTube channel I can send you if interested.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Pretty much nada
The front of the seat is screwed/glued onto the front cross support piece you see
Same for the back (bevel cut on the top piece running behind the back)
Where the two pieces of plywood meet in the back/bottom, a bunch of pocket holes/screws and glue.

The bottom “frame” on the floor is tied together with a cross piece to give the overall chair some extra support (i.e. the bottom is an H)

We’ll see if this is a “one season” chair or if I’m going to get some life out it

I wish I could say I came up with the plans myself, but I’m pretty much a wood working novice and not creative at all. I can, however, follow high level directions pretty well. Found the plans for $10 on some diy YouTube channel I can send you if interested.

OK, I can see how that works now.

Appreciate the reply and I might hit PM you for those plans if I can get my list of "fun" projects out of the way. Or if I can get my carpenter friend freed up from table-making...

13 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Love the chairs.  What's the link?

• 2 weeks later...

So wife and neighbors wife want to do one of those fold down, fence bars. It's not a bad idea, we spend a lot of time with them and we'd put it to good use. I don't want to do the super simple ones I've seen on social media, where it folds down on one side so one neighbor has a bar/seating area and the other has to stand up. Trying to think of an idea so it pivots down and both sides have a table area. It's a 6' fence. Was thinking maybe I could just have the top 3 feet on a rail that can pivot and raise or lower but would like advice from people with a little more engineering background than myself

42 minutes ago, NateHitch said:

So wife and neighbors wife want to do one of those fold down, fence bars. It's not a bad idea, we spend a lot of time with them and we'd put it to good use. I don't want to do the super simple ones I've seen on social media, where it folds down on one side so one neighbor has a bar/seating area and the other has to stand up. Trying to think of an idea so it pivots down and both sides have a table area. It's a 6' fence. Was thinking maybe I could just have the top 3 feet on a rail that can pivot and raise or lower but would like advice from people with a little more engineering background than myself

Yeah, rails that allow it to accordion downward so you get some "bar" on either side of the fence might work. I'm imagining something like a garage door track with rollers at the top and middle, and two or three sections hinged opposite one another.  For a 6' fence you could have the bottom 3'-4' stationary and then 2 or 3 sections at the top that collapse down onto one another providing a little bit of bar to either side of the fence centerline.

Edited by utee94

Yeah, rails that allow it to accordion downward so you get some "bar" on either side of the fence might work. I'm imagining something like a garage door track with rollers at the top and middle, and two or three sections hinged opposite one another.  For a 6' fence you could have the bottom 3'-4' stationary and then 2 or 3 sections at the top that collapse down onto one another providing a little bit of bar to either side of the fence centerline.

You could have a small section of fence pivot in the middle so that it ends up on both sides of the property and is open under it. Cut that section loose and use some pipe with clamps for it to rotate on. Or get fancy and use an actual shaft with bearing on either end.

On 5/2/2020 at 11:15 PM, UTexasFight said:

Finished these a month ago.
Got a fair amount of use out of them during the cool spring evenings during the quarantine.

702b8ca52eae9ee822f43e091197cc2f.jpg

Were you working from plans on these or did you just wing it?  I like the looks of those and might have to make a pair for myself.

On 5/2/2020 at 11:15 PM, UTexasFight said:

Finished these a month ago.
Got a fair amount of use out of them during the cool spring evenings during the quarantine.

702b8ca52eae9ee822f43e091197cc2f.jpg

Were you working from plans on these or did you just wing it?  I like the looks of those and might have to make a pair for myself.

You could have a small section of fence pivot in the middle so that it ends up on both sides of the property and is open under it. Cut that section loose and use some pipe with clamps for it to rotate on. Or get fancy and use an actual shaft with bearing on either end.
a25a63b8e5a5bcf605ebcc26383faf3c.jpgba73a3f279c8504992d78a482ac64203.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, davidg said:

I don't understand these fence table/bars.  You like your neighbors enough to have a drink  with them but not enough to actually invite them over to sit on the patio under some shade? WTF?

What, you think they should actually have a gate or something?  Why do that when you can Tim Toolman Taylor it up in this bitch?

1 hour ago, davidg said:

I don't understand these fence table/bars.  You like your neighbors enough to have a drink  with them but not enough to actually invite them over to sit on the patio under some shade? WTF?

In the times of social distancing, I suppose I can sort of understand them. 

Before that though, if I wanted to spend time with neighbors in a backyard, it was either ours or theirs.  And it included comfortable chairs, around a table, under a covered patio or out by the pool, or in the pool, or whatever.

Edited by utee94

I don't really either, it's just something the wives saw and liked and it'd give me something to do. I might do it or might not

18 hours ago, NateHitch said:

Saw this on reddit today:

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 11:59 AM, McFly said:

Love the chairs.  What's the link?

On 5/15/2020 at 12:18 PM, UTexasFight said:

On 5/26/2020 at 11:19 AM, The Royal We said:

/

• 2 weeks later...
I get pissed all the time at things the previous owners screwed up on my house.
Along this same vein, I do not like when dumbfuck previous owners hire dumbfuck contractors who do a shitty job. Or maybe it was the dumbfuck homeowners trying to DIY when they had no business DIYing. Just wasted half my day fixing bad irrigation joints that I uncovered while prepping for the patio I'm putting in. From what I saw it looks like only the pressure from the surrounding dirt was holding them together at all. This is the type of shit that causes me to never finish any projects in a reasonable amount of time. Fuck I need a beer.
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 5:47 AM, Okie State said:
On 5/25/2020 at 10:25 PM, Jkwellborn said:
Been repairing my back porch. Previous owners didn’t take care of it and it was falling apart. Have been pretty pissed working on it.

I get pissed all the time at things the previous owners screwed up on my house.

Fucking this. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1