Woodworking, DIY, and home repair thread

Mojo Hand

Does he do this for a living? Thats a lot of shop for a hobby. I only ask out of curiosity, I can't keep my little garage shop clean, know other carpenters with big shops, used every day and they make an emphasis of being clean and organized and their shops look nothing like that.  

On 7/31/2020 at 7:06 AM, Dewey said:

Its been more than a few years,  and I dont recall much of the conversation,  but had a homeowner wanting to go crazy with insulation and the pro told them to stop, because at a certain point, there is such a thing as too much, that your house needs to breathe. He went on about the new window installs, the guys who show up and pipe in foam and said that its not good (insulation on top of insulation) . I forget what exactly was so bad about it all, but if a house can't breathe... I'll hang-up and listen.

We're in a 40 year old house that I'm constantly working on myself.  The original insulation is still there, and at some point in the future we will address it.  Keep in mind I'm 6 hours north of Dallas so it gets hot but not as humid as where most of you are.  Summer time the attic is probably 130+ most days, when the outside is 90-95.  The house faces south but there is good shade and some days the AC may not kick on til after noon.  Would it make sense to have an attic fan to pull some of that hot air out during the day?  Especially when I am working up in the attic.  As it is now, I try to do early morning in summer or wait til winter.  

I'm not talking about running it all day, but would it benefit from time to time to recycle that air during the day and would it help the AC run more efficient/less often than it does now.

1 hour ago, mulletpelini said:

We're in a 40 year old house that I'm constantly working on myself.  The original insulation is still there, and at some point in the future we will address it.  Keep in mind I'm 6 hours north of Dallas so it gets hot but not as humid as where most of you are.  Summer time the attic is probably 130+ most days, when the outside is 90-95.  The house faces south but there is good shade and some days the AC may not kick on til after noon.  Would it make sense to have an attic fan to pull some of that hot air out during the day?  Especially when I am working up in the attic.  As it is now, I try to do early morning in summer or wait til winter.  

I'm not talking about running it all day, but would it benefit from time to time to recycle that air during the day and would it help the AC run more efficient/less often than it does now.

Be very careful about attic fans. They can fuck up the pressure in a house, and do more harm than good. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I haven’t used this urethane before. The wood stain was a nice gray color before but after two applications it looks streaky yellow and in my opinion bad. Hasn’t dried a whole day yet but I’m wondering I should continue with the typical process and what will come of the yellow color or if I should sand it all off and use a different finish. It’s just a TV mount base going in my garage but I’m using it to learn how to apply the veneer trim to edges of wood and how to properly stain and apply varnish.

1552e6e7a4ca37ed8db2d3274e85b5bc.jpg

Well here goes the second sand. I originally had it stained dark (espresso) then when I wiped with mineral spirits today to finally varnish I noticed all my sweat drop marks from last nights sanding session came thru. That was a ball buster learning experience. Now the stain looked nice this round and the varnish is what killed me. Jesus. What should I use if anything? It’s not even going to be seen just trying to learn.

Before 60679a29f16c9cfde545e11b504bbcc7.jpg

cb21d1047a9647a7234ceccfe748d237.jpg

9c7674540f313de1af59e4736a005dd3.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thought this crowd would appreciate what I found when I started removing some drywall as I redo my fireplace surround and mantel. I don't speak Spanish, but my wife says it's something to the effect of 'fuck your mother framers'. I'm guessing it was left by the fireplace installers when they found the opening was less than ideal to install the gas insert square to the wall.be1946c4af75a4e6252cd6360120ee9d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Not really DIY because I didn't DIY it, but thought I'd post a sneak peek at the metal roof deadshank's guys just finished on my patio. They also fixed the POS framing that I didn't think could be fixed. I'll post more once they get the gutters up. Big thanks to ROFL BOX for putting me into contact with deadshank on this thread. Amazing what can be done when you use a carpenter instead of a handyman.526bd2103c68260e51cad50eebaf378b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• Snap Lock panels?  - Check.
  • Striations?  - Check
  • Lighter color to reduce the heat island signature?  - ................

(assuming your HOA would allow that)

Looks good.  I'm more interested in the headwall flashing & Eaves + any vent penetrations, but then that's the roof dork in me.

The color was all me. They offered up a much lighter gray, but I thought this looked better with my house and existing shingles. What's a heat island?

No vents on this since it's an open patio. I'll try to get some pics of the flashing. I'll say that where it ties into the house is 100% better than the shit that was there before.

This is the first metal roof I've had and the striations were interesting to me. I had always just seen, or noticed, the flat panels and really liked them. I was a little worried this would look like a corrugated roof, but it looks really good once everything is installed.

On 9/15/2020 at 2:51 PM, Gil Bang said:

So I am a pretty good finish carpenter, but I don’t really consider myself a woodworker.

I just bought a new jigsaw, and the blade set includes a “reverse cut” blade.

When and why would I use that?

When you've cut something too short, and need to undo it of course ...... d'uuuuuh.

51 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Striations are your friend.  Makes the panels stiffer,* less prone to blow-offs & you won't have those ugly wrinkles every 3 to 4 ft. wherever the clips & / or screws are set (assuming clipped vs. flange).

*That's what she said.

Yeah,  but it just doesn't have that traditional standing seam look.  And I like a little oil canning...

5 hours ago, Okie State said:

The color was all me. They offered up a much lighter gray, but I thought this looked better with my house and existing shingles. What's a heat island?

No vents on this since it's an open patio. I'll try to get some pics of the flashing. I'll say that where it ties into the house is 100% better than the shit that was there before.

This is the first metal roof I've had and the striations were interesting to me. I had always just seen, or noticed, the flat panels and really liked them. I was a little worried this would look like a corrugated roof, but it looks really good once everything is installed.

Striations hide the oil-canning distortion that is common with the rollforming process. Some people are more bothered by it than others but most of our clients are real assholes about it.

Striations hide the oil-canning distortion that is common with the rollforming process. Some people are more bothered by it than others but most of our clients are real assholes about it.
Yeah that's what I gathered although I read darker colors in Texas heat can also lead to more oil canning. I'm sure I would have been fine with it regardless, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I look at oil canning like true divided lite windows (multiple actual panes of glass) over simulated divided lite units (one single pane of glass).   Multiple panes reflect light a bit different, and refract it making a more interesting looking window. I like the subtle texture it and oil canning adds.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Okie State said:
3 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Yeah that's what I gathered although I read darker colors in Texas heat can also lead to more oil canning. I'm sure I would have been fine with it regardless, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Yeah, Onboard and ROFLBOX explained it very well. I should have read their replies before I jumped in to  show off my big brain. As a manufacturer of rollform machines, I'm expected to produce flawless panels and then the customer goes and buys the cheapest, most fucked up material they can find and expect to get the same results as they got from the flawless sample coils they sent me. Striations make our lives much easier.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 7:44 PM, Okie State said:

Not really DIY because I didn't DIY it, but thought I'd post a sneak peek at the metal roof deadshank's guys just finished on my patio. They also fixed the POS framing that I didn't think could be fixed. I'll post more once they get the gutters up. Big thanks to ROFL BOX for putting me into contact with deadshank on this thread. Amazing what can be done when you use a carpenter instead of a handyman.526bd2103c68260e51cad50eebaf378b.jpg

Post the pic of  the jacked up framing that was remedied.  

Daaaamn.

& I say GotDammmm...

I should post some pics of the fubar'd shit I come across either in my inspections or through groups on FB where the shit-tacular is routinely discussed.

One of the craziest is near where @baboso used to live in Plano; this house probably had 10 skylights in a crazy tightly packed area, hip roof setup.

• Like 1

Public service announcement. Apex Construction, operating out of Austin, San Antonio, Collin County and Ft Bend County, is run by a convicted felon and according to an Austin news report yesterday has been fraudulently running off with homeowner home renovation payments, sometimes $100k+. Bad dudes.

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Public service announcement. Apex Construction, operating out of Austin, San Antonio, Collin County and Ft Bend County, is run by a convicted felon and according to an Austin news report yesterday has been fraudulently running off with homeowner home renovation payments, sometimes $100k+. Bad dudes.

It ain't no coincidence that the word contractor starts with CON.  

Heeeeeeeey-ohhhhhhhhhhhh.....but seriously.... some of my best friends are contractors...

Edited by Onboard 2.0

20 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I look at oil canning like true divided lite windows (multiple actual panes of glass) over simulated divided lite units (one single pane of glass).   Multiple panes reflect light a bit different, and refract it making a more interesting looking window. I like the subtle texture it and oil canning adds.

I'm in the same boat.  As the owner of a construction company, I always pitch striated roof panels so I don't have to field call backs about oil-canning, but on my personal house, I went flat panel galvalume.  Love the oil canning and I like the variations in patina that are starting to show after four years.  I think it adds character, and it's not sacrificing performance (unless we get a crazy wind storm where flat panels are less rigid).

That's an interesting take on SDLs vs true divided lites.  I never really thought about that, but it makes sense.  I actually had a customer complain a few months ago because the tempered glass in her living room adjacent to the front door looked slightly different than the non-tempered glass in the next bedroom.  We always go all tempered in the same room to avoid that issue, but she was concerned about the difference from the exterior between rooms.  I couldn't notice it.  Luckily, we have a good relationship with the window manufacturer, and they came out to back us up and cited the language in their product sheet that she signed identifying potential variances in glass color.  

It's the same with paint.  We had an architect insist that samples we put up not only matched color and sheen, but also PRODUCT so he could review.  So, we had to buy full gallons of all 15 samples he wanted to see.  I thought it was bullshit, but sure enough, he was able to pretty much call out each color variance.  Some people can see variations that others can't.

13 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I'm in the same boat.  As the owner of a construction company, I always pitch striated roof panels so I don't have to field call backs about oil-canning, but on my personal house, I went flat panel galvalume.  Love the oil canning and I like the variations in patina that are starting to show after four years.  I think it adds character, and it's not sacrificing performance (unless we get a crazy wind storm where flat panels are less rigid).

That's an interesting take on SDLs vs true divided lites.  I never really thought about that, but it makes sense.  I actually had a customer complain a few months ago because the tempered glass in her living room adjacent to the front door looked slightly different than the non-tempered glass in the next bedroom.  We always go all tempered in the same room to avoid that issue, but she was concerned about the difference from the exterior between rooms.  I couldn't notice it.  Luckily, we have a good relationship with the window manufacturer, and they came out to back us up and cited the language in their product sheet that she signed identifying potential variances in glass color.  

It's the same with paint.  We had an architect insist that samples we put up not only matched color and sheen, but also PRODUCT so he could review.  So, we had to buy full gallons of all 15 samples he wanted to see.  I thought it was bullshit, but sure enough, he was able to pretty much call out each color variance.  Some people can see variations that others can't.

Yeah, the patina, and oil can of a hand crimped roof can't be beat.  You really see the refraction on houses built before the 70's with multi lite windows.

• Hook 'Em 1

Could I interest either of you fine gentlemen in a snap-loc standing seam  or soffit line? Perhaps a 4-line trim with adjustable width ridge cap? No? How about a light gage stud/track line?

You are honestly the first pro-oilcanning people I have ever run across in almost 40 years of doing this. Very refreshing.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:21 AM, Shoxthemonkey said:

Could I interest either of you fine gentlemen in a snap-loc standing seam  or soffit line? Perhaps a 4-line trim with adjustable width ridge cap? No? How about a light gage stud/track line?

You are honestly the first pro-oilcanning people I have ever run across in almost 40 years of doing this. Very refreshing.

Oil canning is a PITA for me.  Have the disclaimer in every metal roof contract we send out.  NOT CAUSE FOR REJECTION BY BUILDER OR PROPERTY OWNER.

(narrator:  they still complain)

Personally, I don’t care for striations.  I have a copper standing seam accent eyebrow roof on the front of my joint.  It would look awful with striations. 

I honestly like the flat panels better as well and asked for them initially. Talked myself into the striated though and I think it turned out nice. If I do another metal roof I'll probably do the flat although I do think it depends on the situation. I had never even noticed a difference until I started looking at the metal roofs around town.

• Hook 'Em 1

One of the biggest problems in a flat panel is the wrinkles that can appear.

More common with a snap lock that has flanges & then 2nd is a SS or snap that has clips & the clips are secured too tightly; doesn't allow for expansion & contraction as needed due to temperature changes.

& While I dig the look of copper, that's only when it is fresh & new.  So I'll go with a colored panel in full on white as my 1st choice (energy efficiency).

3 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

One of the biggest problems in a flat panel is the wrinkles that can appear.

More common with a snap lock that has flanges & then 2nd is a SS or snap that has clips & the clips are secured too tightly; doesn't allow for expansion & contraction as needed due to temperature changes.

& While I dig the look of copper, that's only when it is fresh & new.  So I'll go with a colored panel in full on white as my 1st choice (energy efficiency).

Yes those white roofs look particularly nice on a double wide...especially with a 2:12 pitch.

• Haha 2

Question for you @deadshank and @ROFL BOX. I have a double pitch full length roof on both sides of the house. I haven't measured the pitch to be certain but it appears that the lower is 4:12 and the upper is 6:12. I'm wanting to replace my asphalt shingles with standing seam. How do you treat the pitch transition? Mueller makes a 10' long transition trim that somewhat matches the profile, slips under the upper metal and rides over the lower. Have you used any of that?

Is the transition shallow enough that you can "bend" the panels and go full length? I like the idea of not having a caulked joint the full length of my roof. Does the double roof make a metal roof impractical?

What is a double pitched roof? - Roofgenius.com

It looks a lot like this but less pitch.

5 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Question for you @deadshank and @ROFL BOX. I have a double pitch full length roof on both sides of the house. I haven't measured the pitch to be certain but it appears that the lower is 4:12 and the upper is 6:12. I'm wanting to replace my asphalt shingles with standing seam. How do you treat the pitch transition? Mueller makes a 10' long transition trim that somewhat matches the profile, slips under the upper metal and rides over the lower. Have you used any of that?

Is the transition shallow enough that you can "bend" the panels and go full length? I like the idea of not having a caulked joint the full length of my roof. Does the double roof make a metal roof impractical?

https://www.muellerinc.com/documents/20143/2144365/cf_install_manual_rev0418.pdf/7245cece-3e3d-5b96-0d42-2c1f3df7dd70?t=1576698229523

Page 24.

The spec / detail calls for wood grip screws to attach the metal transition flashing to the metal panels.  If you go metal to metal then you need metal to metal "stitch" screws.  Metal to wood needs wood grip screws.  Always use zac screws for exposed screws with metal roofs.  

Edited by deadshank

Thanks. I had never looked at that brochure before. That looks a lot less involved than some of the youtube vids that I watched. I doubt that there is a way to hide the fasteners?

https://www.muellerinc.com/documents/20143/1759354/TrimCatalog_rev_072120.pdf/e8e97d74-e422-1428-59e6-041372aa6c48?t=1595362970865

Page 13 shows the transition panels I was talking about. I don't think the standing seam matches close enough to suit me. Full disclosure, we designed and built the dies for those transition panels and we made the rollformers for many of their trim profiles. They are good people to work with/for.

31 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Thanks. I had never looked at that brochure before. That looks a lot less involved than some of the youtube vids that I watched. I doubt that there is a way to hide the fasteners?

https://www.muellerinc.com/documents/20143/1759354/TrimCatalog_rev_072120.pdf/e8e97d74-e422-1428-59e6-041372aa6c48?t=1595362970865

Page 13 shows the transition panels I was talking about. I don't think the standing seam matches close enough to suit me. Full disclosure, we designed and built the dies for those transition panels and we made the rollformers for many of their trim profiles. They are good people to work with/for.

If you don't want to look at the fastners then you could use pop rivets to hold down the lower edge of the transition flashing.  If you don't like their transition flashing profile then you can get a custom "flat" top piece made and then get matching metal closures to put under the transition flashing and between the lower metal panel ribs.

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

That's a pretty cool little house.  Digging the porch roof framing, open rafter tales, and rafters, knee brackets on the wide gable outlooks.

12 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's a pretty cool little house.  Digging the porch roof framing, open rafter tales, and rafters, knee brackets on the wide gable outlooks.

If you look real close you can see his old lady in the shower up in the second floor window.

It is a cool house.

No way in hell that I'm gonna post any pictures of my actual house now. I do have the same porch framing, knee brackets, exposed rafter tails, etc but I think less pitch = less cute factor. It also helps that this picture shows trees and I can't grow a tree within 1/2 mile of my house. Hedge and Redbuds are all that can find a purchase.  I'm perched on the edge of an abandoned limestone quarry and I might have 12" of topsoil over the caprock.

If you look real close you can see his old lady in the shower up in the second floor window.

It is a cool house.

There is a house in our hood that has a huge opaque glass block window in what appears to be their shower. When it is dark outside and they have the light on in the bathroom, the shadows are a little revealing. Strangest damn thing I’ve ever seen since it faces the main road in and out of our neighborhood.

2 hours ago, EE2B said:

There is a house in our hood that has a huge opaque glass block window in what appears to be their shower. When it is dark outside and they have the light on in the bathroom, the shadows are a little revealing. Strangest damn thing I’ve ever seen since it faces the main road in and out of our neighborhood.

So is he hot?  Does he know you’re watching?

• Haha 1

We put that in so your wife could see. Pervert.