Woodworking, DIY, and home repair thread

Mojo Hand

So is he hot?  Does he know you’re watching?

At 5 in the morning it’s hard to miss a ~4x4 square wall of light with shadows when it’s completely dark outside. It’s fucking weird since it faces the main road. If it was the back of the house, I could understand.

• 2 weeks later...

Water softener system has had a somewhat slow leak, like... 1 gallon every 3 hours slow

This has caused mold on the closet wall, so I will get after this while the tank is out.

Most of the black stuff on the floor is pill bugs & dirt.

Something I have been putting off.

Drained probably 55 lbs. of water, then got the entire tank to the driveway.

I'm thinking either the O-ring has a flat spot or possibly the R screw wasn't set as tight as it needed to be... unsure if there is a torque spec for this & if Tractor Supply has the right match. If TS has this same dia. & dimension, I doubt it is pre-shaped to an oval.78fce229b3242bbc47de89643012b0f3.jpg29531eabf73a1fb7acbb1a6db5f54ef6.jpg4a3b9b77b493da72cea0ae6eb482eea7.jpg05de84dd2bd33991ad361e575755a2d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

Tractor Supply didn't have the correct thickness, did have the right dia.

Homer Despot was similarly ill equipped.

Found an O-ring supplier near Burnet & 183, will try to get tomorrow, Monday.

In the meantime, I have painted over the wall with Kilz primer & will top coat tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but does anyone know about fireplaces?  

I live in a 140 year old house that still has two of the original 4 fireplaces showing.   These are are the small coal style (l live in an old port town, so steamer coal was more readily available than wood).  The previous owner capped the chimney and installed a gas powered space heater (flameless), which has since been removed.   Does anyone have any experience with ventless gas flame elements?   Pros/cons?  Would it work in this type of a setup? Would it be an easy install or should I just pay for someone to install a vent in the side of the house?  Below are pictures of the fireplace  (cool side story: the ship painted fireplace cover was actually found in the attic - it doubles as a card table)

On that note, who should I even call for the installation?  Anyone know any good fireplace guys in the Houston / Galveston area? 

I grew up in a cold climate and love fireplaces, nothing better than sitting around a roaring log fire as a family and I would love for my little kids to have the same memories.   While true logs are out of the question, I would like to recreate it as best I can. 

FE3B8D0C-CAF1-42E6-9979-1670423C3458.jpeg

207B26D6-DA68-4C2A-BFC6-84E52F4CD86D.jpeg

885B92BC-3C1B-447C-A710-6CECCB3AABDF.jpeg

1CD81927-0345-442E-B105-8BA6F7E74EB4.jpeg

4F93D08A-62B9-4810-BF10-218798EF7B56.jpeg

86E5652D-EEE0-4169-9FB9-DE2AF770F2BF.jpeg

That wood showing looks to be supporting the slate mantle, I’ll obviously have to cover it with something, just not sure what. 

have a feeling that while this seems simple, the risks are just too great for a DIY job since it involves gas and fire...  now just need to find someone I can trust to do it. 

Yeah, a pro is going to put some kind of firewall "brick-y" looking liner wall, then a double walled flue all the way up to the cap... someone down low, someone on the top of the chimney.

Don't fuck around with a handyman.  There is a lot going on there & every single detail needs to be UL inspected parts.

Maybe @deadshank has a Houston / Galveston resource?

On 10/18/2020 at 12:52 PM, capnamerca said:

Is there a chance that mold is in the framing? Looks like it's been leaking for a while ... are you gonna pull the drywall?

Not as heavy as the pic makes it appear.  The existing paint is a latex, so it held up well.

Kilz primer over the mold, dried a day, then an oil based latex over that.  Poly Razz - ma - Tazz!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, deadshank said:

@XianIf you need a masonry contractor that knows how to refurbish fireplaces with fire brick or Isokern you can PM me.

This work is tedious, messy and will be expensive.  Gird your loins.

So true....finding a mason who deals in fireplaces/chimneys is no easy task....will no doubt be an old geezer.

8 hours ago, deadshank said:

@XianIf you need a masonry contractor that knows how to refurbish fireplaces with fire brick or Isokern you can PM me.

This work is tedious, messy and will be expensive.  Gird your loins.

Thanks. Can you send me his contact.  I have a foundation masonry guy I use, but haven’t thought to ask him about this. I thought if it more as a plumber or something.    Your guy would be a good second bid, assuming he works gtown.  That said, Remember, I don’t plan on using the existing chimney. Maybe they can just block it off a few feet up. 

depending on the price I might need to push it back. Currently been having all the windows reglazed and the storm shutters rebuilt.  On the third week of work, with probably another week left. Shit adds up. 

(would try it myself but I’m in an elevated house and scared of heights - not a good combo). 

plus the the wife is pushing for a remodel of the kitchen, Landry and mud room, on top of that she is drawing up plans for an additional bathroom and bedroom.  

don’t marry an architect. It Never ends lol. 

17 hours ago, Xian said:

Thanks. Can you send me his contact.  I have a foundation masonry guy I use, but haven’t thought to ask him about this. I thought if it more as a plumber or something.    Your guy would be a good second bid, assuming he works gtown.  That said, Remember, I don’t plan on using the existing chimney. Maybe they can just block it off a few feet up. 

depending on the price I might need to push it back. Currently been having all the windows reglazed and the storm shutters rebuilt.  On the third week of work, with probably another week left. Shit adds up. 

(would try it myself but I’m in an elevated house and scared of heights - not a good combo). 

plus the the wife is pushing for a remodel of the kitchen, Landry and mud room, on top of that she is drawing up plans for an additional bathroom and bedroom.  

don’t marry an architect. It Never ends lol. 

PM sent. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wood-Storage-Cabinet-36-inch-with-2-Shelves-Coastal-White-Finish-SC3036-CW/312634453

So I need to make two cabinets to fit in recessed areas on each side of my fireplace. I want the design to be similar to the one in the link. I need mine to be 44x48x24. When I look up plans, I cant seem to find something like this one. They have toe kicks or just not exactly what I am looking for.

I have the tools needed but have never tried making a cabinet. Anyone have a simple process or plans to get me started?

Screenshot_20201030-093945_Chrome.jpg

On 10/30/2020 at 9:46 AM, RexWilson said:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wood-Storage-Cabinet-36-inch-with-2-Shelves-Coastal-White-Finish-SC3036-CW/312634453

So I need to make two cabinets to fit in recessed areas on each side of my fireplace. I want the design to be similar to the one in the link. I need mine to be 44x48x24. When I look up plans, I cant seem to find something like this one. They have toe kicks or just not exactly what I am looking for.

I have the tools needed but have never tried making a cabinet. Anyone have a simple process or plans to get me started?

Screenshot_20201030-093945_Chrome.jpg

I had this exact same issue.  Two large niches, one on each side of the fireplace.  Each nice is a little over 48" wide, 26" deep, and about 8' high (in a room with 10' ceilings).

Carpenters wanted a fortune for custom built-ins, so I decided I could put together something on my own.  For each niche, I used two stock 24" kitchen base cabinets.  I bought them raw unfinished because I needed to match the stain color to the already-existing mantle, and none of the stock colors matched.  I screwed the two stock base cabinets together, built custom filler plates on each side out of 1x2 stock, to stretch all the way to the wall on either side.

As you noted, those stock cabinets all tend to have toe kicks, so I built a custom filler plate on the bottom out of 1x4 and then tacked on some standard base molding to fill the gap all the way to the floor.

Above each of those, I installed floating shelves into the niche.

Also, since one of those two niches serves as the best place in the Great Room for our Christmas tree, I put that one side on casters and made it removable.  For 11 months out of the year, that cabinet sits in its spot in the niche.  But at Christmastime, I roll it out, stow it in the laundry room, and put the tree in that niche.

If you're interested in seeing it, I'll take some pictures and post them here.  It turned out pretty slick.

Stock cabinets were either Lowes or Home Depot, don't remember which, but they look like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Hampton-Assembled-24x34-5x24-in-Base-Kitchen-Cabinet-in-Unfinished-Beech-KB24-UFDF/307611107

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’m in the process of finishing my back deck too. It’s been a pain. I want to cover it, but I might go ahead and pay someone to frame up the top.

Will get some pics of roof structure frame out and post them for you.   We may not get it done as Montalbano Lumber screwed up our order delivery.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah stain and seal. I’ve always heard you needed to put something on the lumber, even if it was treated.

Have never had a problem with treated.  Untreated left in the weather will have problems and we usually clad untreated wood with 24-ga. Galvalume. 

6 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Have never had a problem with treated.  Untreated left in the weather will have problems and we usually clad untreated wood with 24-ga. Galvalume. 

You wanna put a sealer or oil on exposed deck boards every year or so to keep it conditioned against the constant beat down of sun IMO.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You wanna put a sealer or oil on exposed deck boards every year or so to keep it conditioned against the constant beat down of sun IMO.

Huh?  The sun NEVER beats down in Uvalde.   NEVER!!

We’ve just never done it and the treated deck boards seem to last forever.  Granted they are covered with metal roofs but do get angled sun and rain.  

Maybe we are just lucky. 

• Like 2

Just now, deadshank said:

Huh?  The sun NEVER beats down in Uvalde.   NEVER!!

We’ve just never done it and the treated deck boards seem to last forever.  Granted they are covered with metal roofs but do get angled sun and rain.  

Maybe we are just lucky. 

No sun where ?  Covered roof is a different story. Around here an uncovered deck will start dying quickly if you don't treat it occasionally.

That’s why I’m replacing every thing on mine. They didn’t use treated wood but they didn’t do anything to it either. We had a pretty good sized back deck when I was growing up and I can’t remember my stepdad doing much to it. It lasted a long time.

40 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

That’s why I’m replacing every thing on mine. They didn’t use treated wood but they didn’t do anything to it either. We had a pretty good sized back deck when I was growing up and I can’t remember my stepdad doing much to it. It lasted a long time.

It's gonna be a regional climate situation as well along the coast in North Carolina there are lots of houses with pressure-treated decks if you don't do something to them they just get destroyed from the sun in the moisture in the Saltair after a few years if you treat them every year to the woods stays together much longer it doesn't check and Wayne and move and split and crack and literally right after a certain point We have those similar conditions in central Virginia as well lots of sun lots of moisture that's a combination for wood moving and splitting and cracking so you want to keep a treat it to keep the moisture at bayWe have those similar conditions in central Virginia as well lots of sun lots of moisture that's a combination for wood moving and splitting and cracking so you want to keep a treat it to keep the moisture at bay

Anyone tried using a pressure washer to remove the stringy bark off of cedar poles before putting them up?  I saw a thread on a forum where a guy built a big deck surround his home and use cedar poles he had stripped with a pressure washer.  He hit the softwood with a sealer/stain and they looked pretty good. 

55 minutes ago, davidg said:

Anyone tried using a pressure washer to remove the stringy bark off of cedar poles before putting them up?  I saw a thread on a forum where a guy built a big deck surround his home and use cedar poles he had stripped with a pressure washer.  He hit the softwood with a sealer/stain and they looked pretty good. 

We have a dog that gnaws it off

• Like 1