Woodworking, DIY, and home repair thread

Mojo Hand

9 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's a big piece of soapstone. Moving that thing around will be a bitch.  That would be my very first consideration.  Then where is it going, and am I damn sure that's where it's going, because that's a big piece of soapstone.

It’s really fucking big, agreed, but for now it’s sitting in my garage against the wall. Hated paying for a full slab and letting the contractor take it with him.

Initially kept it because I thought in might want to add on the counter space outside or a separate bar or something. Can probably do both honestly, just need two guys to help me lift it so it can be cut/sanded down. 

13 hours ago, Okie State said:

How much does that sumbitch weigh? Tree fiddy at least.

well the initial slab was lifted by overhead crane if I recall correctly.  But once it was cut down for install, that piece plus the remainder could be moved by three guys. It's heavy.  It's basically a third of the initial slab left.

Any shop shelving recs? I have a pretty good size shop with just a few wire shelving units. I need a lot more shelf space, the freakin clutter drives me insane. Thought about just building wooden 2x4 units with a ripped sheet of 3/4 or 1/2” plywood for the shelf.  

I built some quick shelves out of 2x4s and 7/16 OSB in a couple of shipping containers.  The rears are full 4x8 sheets with 2x4s vertical and 2x4s for joists supports under the osb.  The ones on the left are 16" x 96" (2 cuts on the osb) with 2x4 verticals and 2x2 (saw) for the joist.  Put them up real quick and they hold a bunch of stuff as you can see.  Need to build another 16" on the RH side and and workbench on the left by the door and this one will be good.    If you don't want to build, we've also used several of these shelves and with enclosed bins like on the second shelf.    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Black-5-Tier-Heavy-Duty-Industrial-Welded-Steel-Garage-Shelving-Unit-90-in-W-x-90-in-H-x-24-in-D-HBR902490W5/310651467

2108645056_ShippingContainerShelves.thumb.jpg.03b05acb6474453bac3fa4d2dc538600.jpg

1509812201_Shelveunit.thumb.JPG.0cd4df1cc8bd9c7c97cc09f8a68d56e0.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Any shop shelving recs? I have a pretty good size shop with just a few wire shelving units. I need a lot more shelf space, the freakin clutter drives me insane. Thought about just building wooden 2x4 units with a ripped sheet of 3/4 or 1/2” plywood for the shelf.  

Don't get the plastic assemble yoursef ones. Texas heat warps them in no time

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

Those both look good. Thanks for pic and the link.

Keep a look out on craigslist, people sell them periodically.  I was going to sell several of mine that are similar in design, when I built my shed/shop and didn't need them in the garage anymore, but a friend was in need so I let him take them.

The heavy duty shelves at Home Depot are actually pretty damn good.  I have these in the garage.  Only modification I made was to put a sheet of plywood in one section where I store smaller things that are prone to not sit evenly on the wire.

I'm also a huge fan of these for lumber, pipe, etc.  Save tons of space by having them wall-mounted.  Cheap and easy to install.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

The heavy duty shelves at Home Depot are actually pretty damn good.  I have these in the garage.  Only modification I made was to put a sheet of plywood in one section where I store smaller things that are prone to not sit evenly on the wire.

I'm also a huge fan of these for lumber, pipe, etc.  Save tons of space by having them wall-mounted.  Cheap and easy to install.

spacer.png

I dig those.

14 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

spacer.png

Got a link?

10 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

spacer.png

Are you ordering these online?

@Onboard 2.0 @RMac5 @McFly

https://www.amazon.com/ECOTRIC-Steel-Lumber-Storage-Wall-Mounted/dp/B07BY5F99V

I have three sets of these in my shop.  They're awesome.  The only criticism I have is that the lag bolts that come with them seemed a bit undersized.  I used larger ones for the one rack that I store my steel on to be safe.  I have every one of them loaded down.  

Edited by Spaulding Smails
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I made a boot jack out of a plank I'd had in my curing pile. It's been so long I'd forgotten about it. I believe it's rosewood. I'm happy to have found a use for the leather thongs I'd saved when I had my baseball glove relaced.

dc69767e9f3381e82cadb66d2e1970ee.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Spaulding Smails I ordered a set of those orange wall brackets off of Amazon. It’s missing the screw and anchor packet. Are there small screws that go in the vertical pieces just to keep the brackets from sliding down? Also, the spacer washer looking things, those just for wall clearance for the backside of the shelf piece?  Think I will just mount each vertical piece to a 1x6 and then mount that to the wall. 

14 hours ago, RMac5 said:

@Spaulding Smails I ordered a set of those orange wall brackets off of Amazon. It’s missing the screw and anchor packet. Are there small screws that go in the vertical pieces just to keep the brackets from sliding down? Also, the spacer washer looking things, those just for wall clearance for the backside of the shelf piece?  Think I will just mount each vertical piece to a 1x6 and then mount that to the wall. 

Correct.  There should have been some little black screws that keep the horizontal brackets in place.  You should be able to use any machine screw in place of those.  Good idea on the 1x6 behind it.  That will probably give you more flexibility on where you actually mount them.  Like I mentioned earlier, I have them loaded down, so I beefed up the lag screws from the little ones they sent in the kit.  No issues since then.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have tips for building a Pergola? We’re moving to an apartment in NYC with a big terrace (has tiles but concrete under the tiles and landlord has approved it). I want to get this thing up before the summer/rooftop season starts. 

I was thinking of either 4x4 or 6x6 posts for the support beams, 2x6s for the cross beams and then 2x6s or 2x4s for the rafters. Was gonna use some steel wire and hooks to make a makeshift retractable canopy too. 

Just not sure where to start in terms of securing the posts to the foundation - have thought about pouring concrete into 5 gallon buckets and putting the posts in there or using anchors. If y’all have any general tips as well, would really appreciate them. Thanks.

90% of the people who have Pergolas wish they had just gone ahead & put an actual roof on it.  Sure, good for shade where the beams are.  Sucks for wanting actual protection from a blazing sun & esp. (obviously) no buen re: rain.

@scottsins had his absolutely slammed with hail.  Haven't told him yet, but I'm gonna suggest we swap out the polycarb top for metal.  His choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Wish I had the tools and knowledge to build them. I just order the tops and finish them before installing. Black Walnut island and kitchen table top finished with Waterlox.

This one is about 6 years old and had a few black rings on it from our carbon steel pans. I need to keep up with it better and wipe on a new coat every year or so.

11 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Wish I had the tools and knowledge to build them. I just order the tops and finish them before installing. Black Walnut island and kitchen table top finished with Waterlox.

This one is about 6 years old and had a few black rings on it from our carbon steel pans. I need to keep up with it better and wipe on a new coat every year or so.

Yeah.  I don't have the skill or patience for finished carpentry.  I can stack dimes all day, but finish carpentry just isn't for me.  That said, I'm going to start looking for something similar.  It's a nice table, and the top wasn't necessarily cheap, but it's been thru three small kids every. single. night for the last 9 years.   I've actually done a ton of work to the house over the last 18 months and need to sit and load up this thread one day.  Give Tapa a workout.

eta: first glance shows Ill need to really research this, as the Amish want $2200 for what I need. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

Cue neighbor firing up leaf blower in 3, 2, 1….
Ha sounds about right.

I'll do the final coat indoors. I'm lightly sanding between each to knock off dust so I'm not worried about it for now.

Besides, exactly zero of my neighbors know how to fire up a blower and all the lawn crews did their thing Saturday morning.
  • Haha 1

You must not be as sensitive to Waterlox as I was if you're thinking of doing that final coat indoors.  It's been a few years, but pretty sure I used a respirator when I applied it because the fumes were not pleasant.

Looks great btw.

You must not be as sensitive to Waterlox as I was if you're thinking of doing that final coat indoors.  It's been a few years, but pretty sure I used a respirator when I applied it because the fumes were not pleasant.
Looks great btw.
Oh it's some strong shit. We'll be gone for a week so I was thinking about doing it right before we headed out. No way I would with all of us there.

The fumes do seem to die down pretty quickly. I'll put a coat on in the morning and then bring it inside overnight and haven't had any issues. It cures pretty quickly with good air flow.

• 2 weeks later...

Started an outdoor shower project at the river house this weekend. I had some left over Ipe (Ee-pay) decking from a screen porch project at our home. I considered several different configurations. Even had the original shower location on the outside of the slab so water would just soak down into the surrounding sand lot.  Lots of reasons to alter that design, didn't want to block any views of my neighbors looking out to the water thru our lot, more privacy with the shower under the existing deck, and easier foundation framing (just used the existing slab, and framed it up, and off that surface).

After considering lots of options, I finally bit the bullet, and worked out a sloped shower pan so the whole thing could be located under the deck from above, and water is kept off the surrounding slab.

I used a sheet of 1/2" PVC sheet, and sloped, ground contact 2 x 6 lumber for the shower pan to be installed under the finished Ipe decking, and it will wash right out into the sand.  I'm thinking about an additional drain pipe in a geo sock, and gravel bed running along the side of the cottage (not really needed, but it's easy to dig out the sand so I'm considering putting it in as extra insurance).

I glued, and screwed all the sleepers, and the pan together, and added PVC quarter round to the 3 sides of the pan in a bed of caulk,  screwed all that into place, then covered the seams with a good bed of swimming pool grade caulk.

Next weekend I'll install the Ipe, grooved edge decking with blind stainless steel fasteners for the decking field, and then install a stainless steel fastened 5/4 x 6 mitered corner, edge border.  Ipe is a bitch to cut, and drill so I'm using the full length deck boards where possible.

I've designed a 2 sided slat wall privacy screen with ground contact 1 x 6's and  2 x 2 's.  

Last step is the install of a 314 grade, stainless steel shower, and foot wash fixture.  The 314 grade is what they use for marine grade boat railings, and fittings so rust isn't an issue as long as you provide some periodic cleaning.   We're right at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay with salt water, and lots of windy, salt driven spray.  Anything not stainless steel will rust quickly, even galv. connections

More pics after it's finished next week.

FullSizeRender-301.thumb.jpg.54c0db189280736e0f6478df37ba9d42.jpgFullSizeRender-298.thumb.jpg.452c97a79bc0c8869630ae38681ce8ee.jpgFullSizeRender-299.thumb.jpg.b2c9f9e83a3e627242163d1d52837865.jpgFullSizeRender-296.thumb.jpg.54ee132284ffbdba66eeb36d0d00fed7.jpgIMG_0458.thumb.JPG.0ac16a835248e4602ef24a7def6978b8.JPGFullSizeRender-300.thumb.jpg.14da9c778cfeaf39d75e6022194d0db9.jpgFullSizeRender-295.thumb.jpg.d5ec23762a9e966dc0926057ebf12407.jpgFullSizeRender-294.thumb.jpg.4c743d67b7259ac58ea241468a9e2ec4.jpg

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we've been thinking about an outdoor shower too, will be referencing this for ideas, thanks.

Yeah, I've already thought about a couple potential modifications to the framing, and shower pan system before installing the decking.   The PVC, and wood  (especially when it gets wet) will move at different rates to I'm thinking about a couple little tweaks. 

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

All that wood?  You must be a bazillionaire.  Nice humblebrag. ;)

Looking good.  Love that ipe decking.

Well,  not anymore....

We've had that Ipe sitting around since 2007 when it was $5.00 a square foot for materials, and fasteners.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

I had a rudimentary outdoor shower on our 19 acre place; had a decent view to the W & sunsets with a solar show bag hanging.  Unless the neighbor comes walking up without notice, nobody would see anything for around 300 yards minimum but I put up 2 walls anyhow to help with the breeze / not get ya cold ('SHRINKAGE!" /Costanza).

I used a plastic beer pallet for the floor & moved rocks in & out of place to level it.

The bag was hanging from a pulley & rope.  Nowhere near as sophisticated as your setup.  I might have a pic around here somewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

Did you use a palm nailer for securing nails to the joist hangers or just screw them in?

The work looks nice.  Great place, too.

Palm nailers are nice little tools. I used a Simpson hex head, heavy duty, galv. screw. The hangers are for a 2 x 4 but cost less than a dollar apiece. The 2 x 6 hangers were $3.00 apiece, and I needed about 28. They're more than enough to handle the load. I also put (2) 3" long, heavy duty, deck screws in the rim board faces.  I'll cover those with a piece of white PVC for a cleaner look, but also a little better visual at night.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Palm nailers are nice little tools. I used a Simpson hex head, heavy duty, galv. screw. The hangers are for a 2 x 4 but cost less than a dollar apiece. The 2 x 6 hangers were $3.00 apiece, and I needed about 28. They're more than enough to handle the load. I also put (2) 3" long, heavy duty, deck screws in the rim board faces.  I'll cover those with a piece of white PVC for a cleaner look, but also a little better visual at night.

Palm nailers are awesome.  Especially from driving small nails into joist hangers.  

1 hour ago, ROFL BOX said:

I had a rudimentary outdoor shower on our 19 acre place; had a decent view to the W & sunsets with a solar show bag hanging.  Unless the neighbor comes walking up without notice, nobody would see anything for around 300 yards minimum but I put up 2 walls anyhow to help with the breeze / not get ya cold ('SHRINKAGE!" /Costanza).

I used a plastic beer pallet for the floor & moved rocks in & out of place to level it.

The bag was hanging from a pulley & rope.  Nowhere near as sophisticated as your setup.  I might have a pic around here somewhere.

This comes to mind.

EDDIE ALBERT hand-signed GREEN ACRES 8x10 authentic w/ coa FUNNY OUTDOOR SHOWER

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So now that I’ve closed on the house, I’m turning my attention to creating a home office suite out of thin air. 

will be an outbuilding, as a home addition doesn’t make sense with the way the house is layed out. So I’m wondering if a kit is sufficient, or if those materials are substandard.  Prefabricated limits me to 8 ft on one side to get through the gate.  

anyone do something like this?  I like the idea of assembling myself to work on a new skillset.  Already have electrica conduit running to the general location, that we placed concurrently when we ran power for the rv service. 

amd I want a high enough roof line that I can add a lean-to style garden shed off of one side.