Woodworking, DIY, and home repair thread

Mojo Hand

While you’re at it you should add a shutoff in your house. I have one right after it comes into the house and one (two) after it’s split for hot and cold. 
Definitely a great idea I'm going to look into after this past fiasco. I learned a lot about myself. I love to build shit and have some talent despite a serious lack of experience. But plumbing is not my thing. I'm willing to give anything a shot to save money but I'm calling a plumber next time anything involves the high pressure side. Fuck. That. Shit.

27 minutes ago, NateHitch said:
On 6/27/2018 at 4:47 PM, heso said:
While you’re at it you should add a shutoff in your house. I have one right after it comes into the house and one (two) after it’s split for hot and cold. 

Definitely a great idea I'm going to look into after this past fiasco. I learned a lot about myself. I love to build shit and have some talent despite a serious lack of experience. But plumbing is not my thing. I'm willing to give anything a shot to save money but I'm calling a plumber next time anything involves the high pressure side. Fuck. That. Shit.

It's all about ball bearings now.

We have a dining room table that arrived split in two, ended up keeping it, but the two pieces need to be dove-tailed together and needs to be refinished. We’re in central Houston...any recs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Installed a under sink reverse osmosis water filter. Been sitting in the box for a month or so just cause I thought it'd be a pain in the ass and didn't feel like fucking with it. Wasn't bad at all though, the instructions were shit but youtube was good. 3a8d764a28555c30ab9792b032afdd96.jpg

Buy a router and some bits and do it yourself. In the spirit of the thread of course.

Thinking about it, but it’s a 9’ x 4’ table that’s about 2.5” thick and solid wood. I’d hate to trust my novice skills and mess it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2018 at 3:38 PM, NateHitch said:

Installed a under sink reverse osmosis water filter. Been sitting in the box for a month or so just cause I thought it'd be a pain in the ass and didn't feel like fucking with it. Wasn't bad at all though, the instructions were shit but youtube was good. 3a8d764a28555c30ab9792b032afdd96.jpg

How long did the install take?

Posted about this project a bit in the wife thread because of the 14 different stain samples I had to do, but just finished staining a headboard for my almost 7 year old. Next step is to put on poly tomorrow night, but a mattress and cut the legs to the appropriate height. I also want to add some old camp lanterns that are wired for AC on a switch that will hang from either side, but that will come later. My son helped me, and it was a really fun project. I’m not great, but the fact it was supposed to be somewhat rustic gave me the wiggle room I needed to tackle it.

132208676824cf7819759fb4ca23d070.jpg
a593e2389837a2d32192caf38d6fbabb.jpg
79b0b80a8302f72d90d972872dffd5a7.jpg
f164cd98beceafd04e46d7dc8b3cc135.jpg

• Like 2

Ok, this may belong in an electrical thread, but it is simple enough I think, I thought I would start here.  What I want to do with this headboard now that it is sealed, is to add some lantern style lights to either side that are on a switch installed in the headboard.  I will first have to convert the hard wired lights to plug in lights, but that is simple enough to just splice them with an extension cord.  I also want to put a light switch in between the plug and the lights, which I will install on the side of the headboard.  Switches typically have a neutral wire though, and extension cords only have hot and ground.  Do I just leave the neutral unconnected?  

You can buy a plug at any hardware store that will have all three.

Edit: You should also be able to buy a complete cord that has all three. But you will need a way to secure the cord to the lights so that it can't be yanked out and there are no exposed wires.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JSB said:

Ok, this may belong in an electrical thread, but it is simple enough I think, I thought I would start here.  What I want to do with this headboard now that it is sealed, is to add some lantern style lights to either side that are on a switch installed in the headboard.  I will first have to convert the hard wired lights to plug in lights, but that is simple enough to just splice them with an extension cord.  I also want to put a light switch in between the plug and the lights, which I will install on the side of the headboard.  Switches typically have a neutral wire though, and extension cords only have hot and ground.  Do I just leave the neutral unconnected?  

You can just buy and install a single pole "inline" switch, only two wires on these, one stays continuous through the switch and for the other you cut the wire and both ends fit against metal prongs inside the switch.  Then the switch itself either makes or breaks the connection within

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-3-Amp-Single-Pole-Feed-Thru-Appliance-Switch-Ivory-5410-I/301667468?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D27L|Multi|NA|PLA|InteriorLighting|71700000038836110|58700004241533705|92700035280099904&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5r6rs_3L3AIVzcDACh1SwANtEAQYBSABEgIXa_D_BwE&dclid=CO6X5bf9y9wCFY7ZwAodlPYESA

Or you can get fancier and buy an extension cord that already has the switch on it like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Remote-Switch-Extension-Cord-1PC-002-015FWH/dp/B000GAS3HG

Or you can get fancier still and buy outlets or surge protectors that have WIFI built-in and use your smartphone to control it like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Iron-m-Protector-4-Outlet-5-Foot-Control/dp/B0721QD57S/ref=asc_df_B0721QD57S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216539147262&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7482194008809118994&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028226&hvtargid=pla-351410255665&psc=1

(there are likely cheaper options for the wifi surge protector, that's just the first one that came up in a search).

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

Also, it is level, just took a crooked picture.  I'm really happy with it, but after putting it up, I am going to anchor it to the wall.  Now it is just a matter of time before we catch JSB Jr. throwing knives or darts into it.  I did just that as a kid into my dresser, and karma being a bitch and all...

Headboard looks really good, JSB.  Are you going to add lights, or decide against it?  I've done it on three headboard projects and really like it.  On the first one I used those inline switches, but have used wireless ever since.

Chicken, that gonna be a covered patio, or a pergola?  Either way, lookin' good.

Headboard looks really good, JSB.  Are you going to add lights, or decide against it?  I've done it on three headboard projects and really like it.  On the first one I used those inline switches, but have used wireless ever since.
Chicken, that gonna be a covered patio, or a pergola?  Either way, lookin' good.

Will likely add the lights, but with as long as it took for the wife to pick a stain color, she won’t settle on a set of lights until Christmas, so for now... it’s done.

Looks good.  I need to get after my doors.  What paint did you use?  Any prep tips?

Used Sherwin Williams Emerald interior/exterior urethane trim enamel. Also used it on my front door.

Since it was already painted before, there wasn't anything special with prep other than normal cleaning, light sanding, and filling gouges from where our dog scratched it up. The front door took more time to prep since it was stained wood with the difference being that I primed with Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3.

I've had good results with this paint using brushes for the hard to reach spots and finishing out with foam mini rollers. Doesn't look quite as good as sprayed, but pretty close.

Also, I tried something new with the hardware to hopefully prevent it from sticking if I need to remove it in the future. Before reinstalling I coated the contact points with a thin layer of dry Teflon lubricant. Not sure if it will work or not, but worth a try.

• Like 1

I'm in a pickle. I'm rounding third on my farmhouse desk and have realized how much I've fucked up on the top. There's significant cupping in the middle of one end on the board. I went to a mill to have them plane it down as much as possible and, while they got a few good laughs at me, they still couldn't get the cupping out.

So, what are my options other than starting completely over? I thought about cutting the top to fit while sacrificing as much of the cupped side as possible. To get some of the thickness back, I was planning on gluing the current board on top of osb and trim out underneath the edge with the same wood as the top. I don't have large enough clamps to get the all around so, would parking my car on it be the worst idea ever?

Any other good ideas?107b3412bfde4007eb345424c344e6a4.jpg

2 hours ago, Spur08 said:

I'm in a pickle. I'm rounding third on my farmhouse desk and have realized how much I've fucked up on the top. There's significant cupping in the middle of one end on the board. I went to a mill to have them plane it down as much as possible and, while they got a few good laughs at me, they still couldn't get the cupping out.

So, what are my options other than starting completely over? I thought about cutting the top to fit while sacrificing as much of the cupped side as possible. To get some of the thickness back, I was planning on gluing the current board on top of osb and trim out underneath the edge with the same wood as the top. I don't have large enough clamps to get the all around so, would parking my car on it be the worst idea ever?

Any other good ideas?107b3412bfde4007eb345424c344e6a4.jpg

add edge materials with about a 1/4-3/8" showing above the highest point on the existing top, and pour a thick bed of poly (like a bar top). 

11 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

add edge materials with about a 1/4-3/8" showing above the highest point on the existing top, and pour a thick bed of poly (like a bar top). 

I actually really like this idea.  The only problem is that everything I've read about it suggests it's for people with more advanced skills.  Clearly, if I'm messing up selecting and gluing wood together, then I'm not sure if I can do this properly.

12 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

I actually really like this idea.  The only problem is that everything I've read about it suggests it's for people with more advanced skills.  Clearly, if I'm messing up selecting and gluing wood together, then I'm not sure if I can do this properly.

I don't know how advanced it is. I've seen DIY guys pull it off. Youtube is your fried for these types of projects.

2 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Not to sound like a troll, but it's only wood and some money. You can do this and if not right the first time you'll get it on the next go round. You'll learn some skills that can be used down the road and get a warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment. Go for it.

Pouring bar-table top is pretty easy.  Just need a clean, flat place (indoors) to do it.  Dust is very much your enemy. 

For the record, that stuff isn't polyurethane, it's actually a two-part resin and hardener.  Working time is limited but manageable.  But to do a surface that large, won't exactly be cheap.  

30 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Pouring bar-table top is pretty easy.  Just need a clean, flat place (indoors) to do it.  Dust is very much your enemy. 

For the record, that stuff isn't polyurethane, it's actually a two-part resin and hardener.  Working time is limited but manageable.  But to do a surface that large, won't exactly be cheap.  

Thanks, figured there was a better product than poly now that won't yellow and is probably harder.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks good. What did you wind up going with for the switch?

Basic in line switch. I got a 15’ grounded extension cord, cut the end off, wired it to the far light, stapled it to the back of the headboard, cut again at the light closest to the plug, wired it in, then the in line switch about four feet from the male end of the cord and done. I may attach the switch to the headboard later, but for now it hangs in a good spot. My son loves it.

One of those, I'm bored let's build something out of the scraps in the wood rack.  I started with a stair tread left over from a built in cabinet project.  Built a little mud room bench with an Arts and Crafts, Japanese flavor design influence.  

Oak tread remnant w/oak 1 x --  and 2 x --- scraps with pegged joints left "proud".  I think design and build time was about 2 hours.

e0qx09.jpg

14boyo7.jpg

• Like 2

I assume that breezeway connects house and garage.  If you haven't already, recommend completely sealing that chamber on the house end to prevent rodents from using that as an expressway into your house.  I know its buttoned up already, but since you haven't caulked and painted yet, still feasible with the least amount of pain.  Speaking from experience...  

• Like 1