Typical cost or range for cedar privacy fence

I know the real answer is "it depends on the job", but what would be a reasonable cost or range (per linear foot) for installation of a new cedar privacy fence (6 ft high, treated wood posts set in concrete, but no frills)?  Needs to include labor, teardown & disposal of old fencing material, etc. Location is Austin if that's a factor.

Google gives me some numbers like $15-20 per linear foot, but I'm not sure if that includes labor or just materials.

Asking because a family member was just charged over $3000 for about 60-70 feet of basic fencing. Thanks....

2 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

I know the real answer is "it depends on the job", but what would be a reasonable cost or range (per linear foot) for installation of a new cedar privacy fence (6 ft high, treated wood posts set in concrete, but no frills)?  Needs to include labor, teardown & disposal of old fencing material, etc. Location is Austin if that's a factor.

Google gives me some numbers like $15-20 per linear foot, but I'm not sure if that includes labor or just materials.

Asking because a family member was just charged over $3000 for about 60-70 feet of basic fencing. Thanks....

15 + is about right - at least in Houston.  3k for that short of fence is insane.  

Any Austin area fence company recommendations? I want to at least get gates for either side of the house (one 3' and the other 4'), but might replace the entirety of the original chain link (Crestview standard issue) if I get a good deal.

5 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Get someone that knows what they are doing to do the frame work. You put the boards up and save some coin.

for ultra savings, letting others put up the posts, this is the best option.  Putting up aligned posts is a hell of a lot more difficult than it seems, so best to let a pro do that. 

The company my brother works for in the Tulsa area charges $17-$18/ft for steel posts, three pressure treated rails, and cedar pickets on a standard six foot privacy fence. I've seen anywhere from $20-$30/ft around Katy but I doubt any of them use steel posts unless you ask.

I got ripped off on a portion a few years ago because I let my idiot neighbor shop around and I didn't know any better. Three years old and it already looks like shit. Won't be making that mistake again.

$3,000 for 60 feet is cold blooded robbery.

Thanks for all the replies. This was a shady deal and my cousin doesn't seem to want to fight it (and may have no recourse). Basically a neighbor suggested they split the cost of replacing the fence between their properties. This was agreed to with no paperwork or estimate. The neighbor hired some guy (not a professional) to do it.  After work is done, neighbor presents a receipt for $3000 and asks to be reimbursed for half, which she paid. I strongly suspect neighbor is in cahoots with the guy he hired to build the fence.

5 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Thanks for all the replies. This was a shady deal and my cousin doesn't seem to want to fight it (and may have no recourse). Basically a neighbor suggested they split the cost of replacing the fence between their properties. This was agreed to with no paperwork or estimate. The neighbor hired some guy (not a professional) to do it.  After work is done, neighbor presents a receipt for $3000 and asks to be reimbursed for half, which she paid. I strongly suspect neighbor is in cahoots with the guy he hired to build the fence.

Good fences make for good neighbors.  The exception to this rule is when you become business partners with your neighbor for the construction of the fence.

my neighbor is an excellent handyman (not his real profession), so he and I put up a shared fence for $500, posts, cement and all. He did the posts, both of us did the nailing, I did the hauloff to the city dump. Probably 70 feet.  If you can find a buddy for free, it's very affordable.  No door of course.

That brings up the question -- how much is a door with hinges and locking fixture? Seems to be expensive. 

random question -- what is the purpose of a kickboard? My neighbor installed on his side but I guess because he has a couple of dogs.  But is that the sole reason? 

On 8/3/2019 at 12:46 AM, NowThis said:

That brings up the question -- how much is a door with hinges and locking fixture? Seems to be expensive. 

I put in a 3.5ft x6ft cedar gate from Home Depot. The gate costs about $160. I also built one which doesn't take much time either. The one I built is sturdier. The one I bought is more decorative. Self closing hinges are about $30. The locking mechanism can be cheap or expensive depending on whether you require a childproof lock. So you will need 2 cedar posts for $30ea, 1 gate for $160 (if you are lazy), $50 in hardware, and $5 in cement. All in $275 doing it yourself pre-assembled.

On 7/31/2019 at 9:09 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If you have string and a level, and your IQ is larger than your shoe size, putting up properly aligned fence posts should be easy.

Yep, did that at my first two homes. The damn post hole digging in July sucked though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thought I would bump this to see if I could get some feedback.  It's been a year since the last post in this thread.  I realize covid and all but it seems that everyone was looking at $20 - $25 per LF.  I am in Plano.  I got three quotes for a fence. This is the least expensive quote.  Here is the breakdown for 108 LF fence:

Removal of old $288

Cedar Fence: full cedar 2x4 runners, built with screws, .095 steal posts, 6' centers; 8' tall board on board 6" - $4676

Stain & Seal - 8' tall Pre-Stained - $750

Pederstiran Gate $150 x 2 - $300

Kickboard 2x6 pcf .40 - $510

8' Boxed Posts - $528

City Permit - $50

Total = $7102 / 108 = $65.76 per LF

Did I just pick a really fancy fence?  This seems to be quite high compared to what you guys were discussing last year.

22 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

Thought I would bump this to see if I could get some feedback.  It's been a year since the last post in this thread.  I realize covid and all but it seems that everyone was looking at $20 - $25 per LF.  I am in Plano.  I got three quotes for a fence. This is the least expensive quote.  Here is the breakdown for 108 LF fence:

Removal of old $288

Cedar Fence: full cedar 2x4 runners, built with screws, .095 steal posts, 6' centers; 8' tall board on board 6" - $4676

8' Boxed Posts - $528

City Permit - $50

Did I just pick a really fancy fence?  This seems to be quite high compared to what you guys were discussing last year.

that is fucking NUTS. You did not get anything outrageous, just standard cedar posts with metal posts.

i was quoted $3600 for about 148 linear feet last fall (~25 sq ft). No idea what they're running now but i can't imagine them going up $40/ft because of covid

1 hour ago, TexasGary said:

Removal of old $288

8' Boxed Posts - $528

City Permit - $50

Is this what's required by hoa?  2x4 runners  are usually pressure treated as are the top caps.  And pederstiran sounds illegal. 

4 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Is this what's required by hoa?  2x4 runners  are usually pressure treated as are the top caps.  And pederstiran sounds illegal. 

It's not required by the HOA. The existing fence is the builder grade fence from 20 something years ago and its in bad shape.  

2x4 runners pressure treated.  Got it.

That was a typo.  How about pedestrian ?

Viking just replaced a 120' section and another 28' for us in Round Rock.  Metal posts were intact except for 3 that had to be reset.  They removed the old fence and replaced what we had which was:   

6' cedar pickets (6" width), 2x6 cedar top cap, with 1x4 cedar top trim just beneath top cap, and 1x6 cedar bottom trim.  No gates.  

$22.50/ft.

I just got quoted $26.50 a LF for 7' fence.  I need to measure, but I've guestimated it as about 220 LF.  I need to ask my neighbors if they will split their portion.  I may be able to lessen my expense if they are cool about it. 

3 hours ago, Okie State said:

I have heard lumber prices have gone up and that seems to be a pretty nice fence. Still seems expensive though.

Just finished replacing back fence. It has metal posts so the majority was wood replacement. Had to replace three posts. 

used appearance grade cedar for all. 
pickets $4.67 6ft x 5.5 inch. Aprox 18-20 per 8 ft section. (Price went up .50 in 5 days)

2x4x8  $9.70 3 per 8 ft section 

3 poles at $20/per

9 brackets $4 each

concrete, screws and bolts 

*all prices Home Depot 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

My cost on OSB has gone up probably 3× what it was 9 months ago.

Somewhat timely question regarding lumber prices as this last week there was a post on a FB contractor group asking this question. I think the highest $$ I saw in OSB was around $ 32 & a 2'×4'×96" was around $ 7.20 (paying a hair under $ 6.00 in Central Texas).

I don't recall where these higher prices were located.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, TexasGary said:

Removal of old $288

8' Boxed Posts - $528

City Permit - $50

Keep in mind most were also likely not quoting "board on board". That's going to be a 30%+ difference.

Still price on high side but prices definitely up right now.

12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Just finished replacing back fence. It has metal posts so the majority was wood replacement. Had to replace three posts. 

used appearance grade cedar for all. 
pickets $4.67 6ft x 5.5 inch. Aprox 18-20 per 8 ft section. (Price went up .50 in 5 days)

2x4x8  $9.70 3 per 8 ft section 

3 poles at $20/per

9 brackets $4 each

concrete, screws and bolts 

*all prices Home Depot 

No shout out for tools, delivery, and labor?

• 3 months later...

Bumping this again - I need to fence my back yard and have a quote for either 5 ft tall field fence (t-posts and 4x4 wire fabric) or 6 ft black metal. I thought the field fence would be the cheap option. Quote is $28/ft for the field, $36/ft for the metal. What am I missing? The welded metal fence feels in the ballpark, the other seems about 3 times too high?

Fencing ain't cheap.

My wholesale price that I pay starts around $ 26.00 / linear ft. for a 6' Western cedar picket + $ 100 per gate.

Bull panels are around $ 28.00 for a 4"x4" post setup, 4 ft. high.

Again, that's my wholesale pricing, starting point... things may vary based your particular application.  When I'm doing site surveys, I look @ how the land moves (high side, low side, existing planters, vegetation, etc).

Lumber has gone ape shit during covid.  I need to check and see what shit costs these days.  Trying to decide how I may finish out the side of the house.  I think I am going to excavate out a couple feet and build out a rock/block wall with cedar fending along the top.  I've done a few fences in the past and with a string level, some mathematical planning  and making damn sure the poles are straight and on center, it usually works out pretty well.  Hardest thing in Austin at least is oftentimes dealing with the limestone...

On 12/21/2020 at 3:48 PM, Godzillatron said:

Bumping this again - I need to fence my back yard and have a quote for either 5 ft tall field fence (t-posts and 4x4 wire fabric) or 6 ft black metal. I thought the field fence would be the cheap option. Quote is $28/ft for the field, $36/ft for the metal. What am I missing? The welded metal fence feels in the ballpark, the other seems about 3 times too high?

What are you trying to keep in?  And what type of wire fabric fence did you get quoted?

8’ tposts are $6ea,   60” tall, 2x4 mesh galvanized field fence is $1.25 a foot, a tpost driver is $40.   Field fence goes up quick, probably quicker than 4 strands of barbed wire.  $28/ft seems high to me.

What are you trying to keep in?  And what type of wire fabric fence did you get quoted?
8’ tposts are $6ea,   60” tall, 2x4 mesh galvanized field fence is $1.25 a foot, a tpost driver is $40.   Field fence goes up quick, probably quicker than 4 strands of barbed wire.  $28/ft seems high to me.

Mainly trying to keep coyotes and hikers in the greenbelt out without blocking the view. Agree that’s too high for field fence. Ive got a guy that will do ornamental iron for $28/ft so leaning they way.

On 12/26/2020 at 2:14 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Fencing ain't cheap.

My wholesale price that I pay starts around $ 26.00 / linear ft. for a 6' Western cedar picket + $ 100 per gate.

Bull panels are around $ 28.00 for a 4"x4" post setup, 4 ft. high.

Again, that's my wholesale pricing, starting point... things may vary based your particular application.  When I'm doing site surveys, I look @ how the land moves (high side, low side, existing planters, vegetation, etc).

Is that $26 for 6" cedar or 4" ?  We are looking at combining with 4 other houses around us and getting all the fencing re-done.  There would also need to be some drainage/rock work done to raise the fence and level some.  Didn't realize you did fencing now.

• 4 months later...

bumping the thread again, but got quoted about $82 / LF for 85' of fence with 6' cedar pickets, metal posts, 3 rails and 1 gate (including labor) - without labor it comes out to about $45 a LF for materials only. To be fair, the guy does fantastic work and is absolutely the best in the area bar none. I am in the Central Texas (West of Austin) area.

...Obviously I am not going to be doing that.

I am assuming this is going to be a bitch to build, and if I do it it's going to be extended beyond the 85'. That said, there is no reason i CAN'T build it mostly by myself. I would need help with posts and runners but outside of that I should be ok to do it on my own i THINK?

I remember when thieves were looking for copper to take. They should now be looking for cedar. Find an empty house. Tell the nosy neighbor that you were hired to replace the fence. Tear down the old pickets and leave. If the old planks are screwed in, you could make short work of it with a team of 4.

• Hook 'Em 1

i got a 69' length done last month for $33 / sq ft.  two gates.  3/4" thick 1x4x6 #2 western red cedar, galvenized posts set in concrete.  three 2x4 rails across the entire length, all planks screwed in.  pflugerville pfence.  

• Hook 'Em 1