Typical cost or range for cedar privacy fence

for that amount i wish i was in Austin, located further west unfortunately. $33 / linear foot would be amazing! even $40 / LF would be great at this point...

it's just amazing all the way around at how high that quote is. especially when looking at a big box store material 1:1 quote for everything but fence vs what his quote had in it.

just annoying entirely, i don't want to go with some rando who half asses it, nor do i want to pay that much.

just had mine replaced in northeast austin for $25/lf by Woodcare Custom Services. total was around 140 lf.

1 gate, 1/2 thick 6" wide western red cedar pickets, 5/8" thick galvanized steel posts set in concrete, 3 cross posts of 2x4 treated pine, and galvanized nails that are like screws.

they did great work

13 minutes ago, El Tri said:

just had mine replaced in northeast austin for $25/lf by Woodcare Custom Services. total was around 140 lf.

1 gate, 1/2 thick 6" wide western red cedar pickets, 5/8" thick galvanized steel posts set in concrete, 3 cross posts of 2x4 treated pine, and galvanized nails that are like screws.

they did great work

this stuff just makes me weep, because of how high this quote is and was.

reached out to another (small) company locally who is booked out until the fall and doesn't do quotes without about a 2 week lead time before project because of prices of lumber, which makes sense.

it's looking more and more like i am going to be doing this basically all myself

I was looking around Home Depot the other day and decided to take a look at the lumber prices ....

A single Cedar picket is $4.99.    Good grief.  The bulk price is a little better, but damn if you have to do a major repair or full replacement...

How well do PVC fences stand up to the wear and tear?

Edited by Nueces River Rat

I was looking around Home Depot the other day and decided to take a look at the lumber prices ....
A single Cedar picket is $4.99.    Good grief.  The bulk price is a little better, but damn if you have to do a major repair or full replacement...
How well do PVC fences stand up to the wear and tear?

The PVC or vinyl ones look damn good. There are a few around me that I check out pretty regularly.

On 5/11/2021 at 12:57 PM, gsoda3 said:

i got a 69' length done last month for $33 / sq ft.  two gates.  3/4" thick 1x4x6 #2 western red cedar, galvenized posts set in concrete.  three 2x4 rails across the entire length, all planks screwed in.  pflugerville pfence.  

Wells Branch / 35 is vastly different earf as compared to Lakeway.  Harder post setting w/ the limestone (Balcones Fault, etc).

25 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Wells Branch / 35 is vastly different earf as compared to Lakeway.  Harder post setting w/ the limestone (Balcones Fault, etc).

we're west of 35 which is apparently the dividing line between hard limestone under 7 inches of soil (west of 35) and good soil 2 feet down (east of 35).

• 4 months later...

Got a quote to replace 125' of fence + 4 gates in SW Austin. $7400!!!!   

The gates were quoted about $550 each and the fence at about $43/ft. 

This is for a 6 ft cedar (horizontal), with cedar posts. Nothing hard to do - 2 straight fence lines with a minimal slope. 

That's crazy, right? 

22 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

This is for a 6 ft cedar (horizontal), with cedar posts. Nothing hard to do - 2 straight fence lines with a minimal slope. 

That's crazy, right? 

No.  Not crazy.  A little high but not crazy for a turnkey job. 

What's the M.O. when your neighbor has a pool behind you and a section of your shared fence falls down from anchor rot and that neighbor refuses to replace it even though City of Austin requires that you have a fence surrounding a pool?  Asking for a friend with a cunt neighbor who never once offered to pitch in on the $40k fence I put in to protect his pool?  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

What's the M.O. when your neighbor has a pool behind you and a section of your shared fence falls down from anchor rot and that neighbor refuses to replace it even though City of Austin requires that you have a fence surrounding a pool?  Asking for a friend with a cunt neighbor who never once offered to pitch in on the $40k fence I put in to protect his pool?  

Is the fence on your side of the property line, his side, or is it on the line?  Do you have an HOA and do they have guidelines about fences that address whether it's shared or not? 

It's literally right on the line.  He lives in a different HOA than I do.  I'm on the end of my cul-de-sac, he's on the end of his cul-de-sac (no homo).  

Both of our HOA's say if you have a pool deeper than 3-4 feet at any point, you have to have at least a 3-4' fence either around the pool perimeter proper.  Or just around yur whole yard, in general.  Years ago, when we moved in, they had this rotted fence which had slapped up a few replacement sections on top of that were only 4' tall, most of which were rotted away and many others served to just serve as a place where animals could rot and die between the segments.  They were being assholes about it so I had built between us, so as to protect children from wandering into their swimming pool which has no safety mechanisms of any kind, an almost 60 yard cedar fence at 8' in height.  Not built to cadillac level, but pretty damn nice and I stained it personally myself.  

After this many years, there's a few panels that need replacing and his attitude is, "You put it up, you replace it.  My kids can swim.  Tough shit on the youngins behind us that can't."  I'm trying to be nice.  But with fence prices and the fact that he's in violation of a buncha City of Austin laws, I dunno.  Jsut asking to help me pick up part of his tab since he never kicked in the first place and couldbe sued into kingdom come.

26 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's literally right on the line.  He lives in a different HOA than I do.  I'm on the end of my cul-de-sac, he's on the end of his cul-de-sac (no homo).  

Both of our HOA's say if you have a pool deeper than 3-4 feet at any point, you have to have at least a 3-4' fence either around the pool perimeter proper.  Or just around yur whole yard, in general.  Years ago, when we moved in, they had this rotted fence which had slapped up a few replacement sections on top of that were only 4' tall, most of which were rotted away and many others served to just serve as a place where animals could rot and die between the segments.  They were being assholes about it so I had built between us, so as to protect children from wandering into their swimming pool which has no safety mechanisms of any kind, an almost 60 yard cedar fence at 8' in height.  Not built to cadillac level, but pretty damn nice and I stained it personally myself.  

After this many years, there's a few panels that need replacing and his attitude is, "You put it up, you replace it.  My kids can swim.  Tough shit on the youngins behind us that can't."  I'm trying to be nice.  But with fence prices and the fact that he's in violation of a buncha City of Austin laws, I dunno.  Jsut asking to help me pick up part of his tab since he never kicked in the first place and couldbe sued into kingdom come.

Fucking assholes - we're trying to have a society here. 

It's a tough one. You could report him to the City and/or his HOA and they may force him to do something - but chances are good that he'd do the minimum and you'd be staring at some hack job back there. If he's not in violation of his HOA or the City code, then not sure what you could do. 

Caveat: IANAL

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

That's crazy, right? 

I’m in the fencing industry in Austin and that price seems about right. We get a minimal discount on our bulk purchases but the lack of WRC being produced right now is what’s keeping the cost incredibly high. Currently, the price of the cedar posts is higher than using 2-3/8 (.095) galvanized steel posts. We were also just hit with an 65% increase on all ornamental iron coming in from China. Most of the material is sitting offshore on boats that can’t be offloaded because of lack of workers at docks. 

Also for the guy asking about vinyl/pvc fencing, it is also very expensive and all 3 of our vendors are quoting a lead time of 6 months for delivery due to shortages in the manufacturing of plastic pellets. Everything is pretty fucked right now. 

I advise my friends to wait until at least next spring to buy a new fence if possible. Hopefully prices will go down by then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Fucking assholes - we're trying to have a society here. 
It's a tough one. You could report him to the City and/or his HOA and they may force him to do something - but chances are good that he'd do the minimum and you'd be staring at some hack job back there. If he's not in violation of his HOA or the City code, then not sure what you could do. 
Caveat: IANAL
UANAL?

10 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

I’m in the fencing industry in Austin and that price seems about right. We get a minimal discount on our bulk purchases but the lack of WRC being produced right now is what’s keeping the cost incredibly high. Currently, the price of the cedar posts is higher than using 2-3/8 (.095) galvanized steel posts.

at this point, is there a reason to build with cedar posts over steel if the prices are anywhere close to the same?

having to build one on my own this fall, got a few quotes but EVERYONE where I live recommends one dude who does fantastic work but is booked way out and quoted me like $80/ft.

any recs on where to buy pickets if i am willing to drive some? live west of Austin in the hill country, but far enough out that Austin fence builders won't come this far - willing to drive some to get decent pickets.

at this point, is there a reason to build with cedar posts over steel if the prices are anywhere close to the same?
having to build one on my own this fall, got a few quotes but EVERYONE where I live recommends one dude who does fantastic work but is booked way out and quoted me like $80/ft.
any recs on where to buy pickets if i am willing to drive some? live west of Austin in the hill country, but far enough out that Austin fence builders won't come this far - willing to drive some to get decent pickets.
What zip code?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, NoName said:

1. No, there's no reason to build with cedar posts aside for the aesthetics. Cedar posts look very good but will rot over time. Steel posts if set right will last you for mulitple fences. 

2. Most of the fence companies are not selling retail right now because of the limited stock. Hell, I'm pretty sure our company and maybe 2 others carry stock on site. All of the other companies send their workers to the box stores to pick up the materials on the day of the project. I would check out HD or Lowes as its the same quality you would get if a small company is putting up your fence. 

4 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

@T-shirt Sip @ROFL BOX

Is it worth looking at treated lumber for parts of the fence (posts, gates?) or will it look bad and/or not last long? 

You can use treated posts and it is currently cheaper than steel or cedar. You can also use treated rails for your project but would suggest waiting until its a little bit cooler. Treated pine is somewhat wet and the heat will draw out the moisture quickly which will probably cause warping, twisting or cupping. Under no circumstance should you use treated pickets. They will look like Steve Buscemi's tooth within the month. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...