Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

11 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Okay, I'm going to open myself up to the "ask your husband" comments, but whatever. What is a "stunt" (use small words), and haven't these guys seen some form of stunt since middle school? Isn't there some kind of adjustment that can be made once it becomes obvious that the stunts are coming. I assume that a stunt is something of a gamble iow there must be some down side to using them...leaving a hole where there was none before...some down side.  Can't adjustments be made to take advantage of the down side?

watch the shittalking right DE or ROLB from LSU do a stunt to the Center gap in this unfortunate sack late in the 2nd quarter vs LSU:

In fairness to Shack on this play, the MLB essentially blocks/shields him from having a chance to scrape off and handle the stunting DE/ROLB.

8 minutes ago, zork said:

watch the shittalking right DE or ROLB from LSU do a stunt to the Center gap in this unfortunate sack late in the 2nd quarter vs LSU:

In fairness to Shack on this play, the MLB essentially blocks/shields him from having a chance to scrape off and handle the stunting DE/ROLB.

That's #73 Parker Braun who busted. Shack is engaged.

1 minute ago, Thetexashammer said:

That's #73 Parker Braun who busted. Shack is engaged.

maybe, but look as the mlb and shack are engaged that shack gets pulled/pushed to his left which opens that gap for ROLB even more clean to the QB.  can't tell if it is defensive holding but that was my initial reaction when watching the play on TeeVee when the sack happened and the replay view was from behind Ehlinger.  From this view it is harder to see if Shack was held, but it is clear he is moving to his left when he should be releasing to get the stunting guy who goes right past.  Braun seemed like he was part of the doubleteam with Shack, but I guess maybe he could have released and taken 2 or 3 steps back and behind Shack to maybe get to the speedy Chaisson?

I'm just a fan.

8 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

So, a spin move is a stunt?

In simplest terms, a stunt is when two dl don't rush straight ahead. One goes diagonally one way, and the other goes diagonally the other way.  So that they don't run into each other, one of them has to loop behind the other.  The biggest downside from the d perspective is that the looping guy takes too long to loop and the play happens before he has a chance to even get engaged.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RiceOwl said:

Braun did not have extensive pass-blocking experience at GT...

He was a freshman all American, and two time 1st team all- ACC. He’s now a fourth year starter. People who probably never watched him overstated how raw he was a a pass blocker before getting here. He was already a pretty solid pass blocker before he ever stepped foot on campus.

So it’s not a bad sign that a 4th year guy  who’s clearly a damn good OL is our second best pass blocker this year and it’s completely false that he’s only been pass blocking for three months like you said. 

7 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Does GT still run the wishbone? Because he wasn’t pass blocking in that offense.

Yes he was. Obviously not as often as elsewhere but there was plenty of film showing he was already solid as a pass blocker at GT, including against Clemson. 

People just like you just assumed he was terrible as a pass blocker because he played at GT, but he already showed skill as a pass blocker there.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I might have looked up the wrong stats, but the 120 attempts he blocked for his last season there tell me they don’t through the ball for shit. That’s not to say he hasn’t and can’t pass block, but don’t try to act like it was just the posters here that wondered if he would be able to adjust to having to pass protect 30+times a game.

22 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I might have looked up the wrong stats, but the 120 attempts he blocked for his last season there tell me they don’t through the ball for shit. That’s not to say he hasn’t and can’t pass block, but don’t try to act like it was just the posters here that wondered if he would be able to adjust to having to pass protect 30+times a game.

Yeah. You jumped in mid-conversation and don’t know what’s going on. OP said he only has 3 months’ experience pass blocking. My point was he’s physically developed as a 4th year starting OL and already showed skill as a pass blocker in limited reps at GT, so him being one of our best pass blockers this year isn’t an indictment on our other O linemen. Plus, 3 years of playing at GT is still a decent amount of practice and game pass blocking reps compared to someone like Angilau.

Overall though, Braun is really damn good and that doesn’t mean the rest of our OL is terrible.

Edited by Burt Macklin

58 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yes he was. Obviously not as often as elsewhere but there was plenty of film showing he was already solid as a pass blocker at GT, including against Clemson. 

they threw the ball twice in that clemson game.  blocking for the wishbone is completely different from what he’s doing here.  take the loss, pussy. 

Yeah. You jumped in mid-conversation and don’t know what’s going on. OP said he only has 3 months’ experience pass blocking. My point was he’s physically developed as a 4th year starting OL and already showed skill as a pass blocker in limited reps at GT, so him being one of our best pass blockers this year isn’t an indictment on our other O linemen. Plus, 3 years of playing at GT is still a decent amount of practice and game pass blocking reps compared to someone like Angilau.

Overall though, Braun is really damn good and that doesn’t mean the rest of our OL is terrible.

Lol. Go fuck yourself. I simply made a comment that Braun doesn’t have a lot of game reps due to the offense he ran at GT. Then I pointed out that he had about 4 games worth of pass attempts under his belt for the entire season there. I’d be willing to bet that he had less than 900 pass attempts his entire career at GT to block. So yeah, there’s game footage but it’s not quite the same as what he’s asked to do at Texas. He’s been damn good while he’s been at Texas. He wasn’t great Saturday, no one was.

I agree with your point about being physically developed to the end of what I quoted.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Okafor subbing in gave our running game a big shot in the arm today.

Not sure how he holds up in pass pro, but he definitely improved our rushing attack.

Kerstetter at guard next to Shack may be the best way to slow the stunts in the middle!!

50 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Okafor subbing in gave our running game a big shot in the arm today.

Not sure how he holds up in pass pro, but he definitely improved our rushing attack.

Okafor, Kerstetter, Cosmi, and Angilau more than likely 4 of the starters next year.  Will be interesting to see if we target a grad transfer next year or let guys like Tyler Johnson, Willie, Tyler, amd Ghirmai battle for the 5th spot.  Maybe Hookfin could be a sleeper?

4 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Somebody mentioned in the recruiting thread that jr should have been given half the reps that he's been given. He's gonna be good but if Kerstetter gives you the best option at RG I think you should start him

This was the same thing last season, Hand picks his 5 and rolls with them. Only injury will get one of the 5 replaced, no matter how bad they are performing on the field. After OU, Angilau should have not been getting 100% of the game reps, and really neither should Braun.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This was the same thing last season, Hand picks his 5 and rolls with them. Only injury will get one of the 5 replaced, no matter how bad they are performing on the field. After OU, Angilau should have not been getting 100% of the game reps, and really neither should Braun.

do you watch the games?

On 11/9/2019 at 2:51 PM, Neonmoon said:

What happened to our line this year?

Depth is the biggest problem.
We returned 10 o-linemen this year and added Braun and 4 freshmen. Mack and Charlie both blew a hole in this position group and Herman is doing a decent job at fixing it, but it takes some time to develop quality.

We lost a really good 5th year senior LT, a pretty good 4 year starter at LG, and a senior RG. None of their replacements are a significant upgrade.

Youth is a factor with Cosmi and Angilau replacing Anderson and E Rod. 
Kerstetter has almost everything you want in a lineman, he's just not as physically dominating as the elite guys.
Braun and Shack are both pretty good.
Beyond those 5 you have Okafor and Imade as primary backups and both are a drop off from the starters.

There's another factor that's affecting the o line, but I don't know if they're banged up a little or if it's coaching. But they aren't improving as the year goes along and they seem to be getting a little worse. 

5 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Depth is the biggest problem.
We returned 10 o-linemen this year and added Braun and 4 freshmen. Mack and Charlie both blew a hole in this position group and Herman is doing a decent job at fixing it, but it takes some time to develop quality.

We lost a really good 5th year senior LT, a pretty good 4 year starter at LG, and a senior RG. None of their replacements are a significant upgrade.

Youth is a factor with Cosmi and Angilau replacing Anderson and E Rod. 
Kerstetter has almost everything you want in a lineman, he's just not as physically dominating as the elite guys.
Braun and Shack are both pretty good.
Beyond those 5 you have Okafor and Imade as primary backups and both are a drop off from the starters.

There's another factor that's affecting the o line, but I don't know if they're banged up a little or if it's coaching. But they aren't improving as the year goes along and they seem to be getting a little worse. 

Sucks that Texas can't rotate their OL more during games.  Kerstetter is  better at OG right now than Junior.  Okafor seems to block well on run plays

On 11/13/2019 at 6:12 PM, LTtxfan said:

Cool Video...

Zach Shackelford ASL feature (LonghornNetwork)

The senior OL is minoring in American Sign Language at Texas.

If that Malcom is Malcom Epps, I think I know his problem catching the ball.  There is no need to sign "I got it" every time the ball comes your way.

On 11/13/2019 at 6:12 PM, LTtxfan said:

Cool Video...

Zach Shackelford ASL feature (LonghornNetwork)

The senior OL is minoring in American Sign Language at Texas.

Hey, I know a little ASL and I call bullshit at 2:45. He's actually signing, "And you may ask yourself, 'Well, how did I get here?'"

Disconnect and Poor Coaching

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Tom-Herman-Dan-Neil-run-game-embarrassing-Sam-Ehlinger-Denzel-Okafor-Reese-Leitao-Marcel-Spears-Mike-Rose-139018240/

Dan Neil: Texas run game against Iowa State was embarrassing

ByDAN NEIL 63 minutes ago

Former Longhorns’ All-American OL DAN NEIL, who won three conference titles at Texas and two Super Bowls with the Denver Broncos, provides an exclusive game analysis to Horns247. Here's his breakdown following Texas' 23-21 loss at Iowa State:

I finally got ahold of the game film and started watching the Texas offense to see what happened against Iowa State. It really is sickening to watch Texas try to run the ball in this game.

What is obvious is ISU played harder on defense then Texas did on offense.  Iowa State linebacker Marcel Spears (No. 42) and Mike Rose (No. 23) whipped everyone’s ass last Saturday.  At one point Rose stands up Denzel Okafor in the hole. When a lineman gets stood up in the hole, taking away the running backs lane, you are going to lose every time.  Texas also turned free safety Lawrence White (No. 11) into a tackling machine. He was one-on-one with the back and made the tackle every time. The back needs to make this guy miss or flat out run his ass over! He is a safety and a back needs to beat a safety.

Herman said the injury to right guard Junior Angilau was more of a problem then they thought. The problem was Okafor in the run. He simply can’t cut off the backside end. This takes away your entire run game to the left. He missed the backside cutoff the entire game!  I’m watching guys like left guard Parker Braun, who has played well, not get their head across in zone blocks. The tight end getting beat. I see no defender getting driven backward - ever.   

What jumps out at me more then anything else is Texas made Spears into an All-American. He whipped everyone’s backside on Saturday. It was not that Texas did not get a body on him. Rather, he kicked the guy’s ass who was trying to block him. You will not see it in the stat sheets, because Spears didn’t always make the tackle. What he did was take on the lead blocker, drive him in the hole so the back had nowhere to run and allowed someone else to make the tackle.  There are plays where the tight end and Okafor do not know who to block. I will defend offensive line coach Herb Hand here. These are the two new starters for this game.

It was not all bad. 

There were times where the line got the back to the safety and the back did not make the safety miss, but it was for a gain. I will take that. At least it is not for a loss. You can’t have a loss of yards. Negative plays kill an offense. 

Let me give you the sequence for the failed fourth-and-2 play in the second quarter after D’Shawn Jamison’s interception in Iowa State territory.  On third-and-3, Texas ran QB power right. They moved Samuel Cosmi to the right side in an overload line. The middle linebacker came in unblocked. On this play that’s not unusual.  It is hard to get to the middle linebacker because of all the bodies in a small area. Running back Keaontay Ingram completely missed his guy. Watch the film and you would laugh at the attempt (if it wasn’t so heartbreaking to watch this over and over again all day).

So, what does Texas do? Get in an overloaded line and run the exact same play! Same result. Ingram got beat - again - and the middle linebacker was unblocked - again. Not sure why Texas thought somehow the result was going to be different.  I have a philosophy about running the same play back-to-back. You do that in middle school. When I was at Texas with John Mackovic calling plays and at Denver with Gary Kubiak and Mike Shanahan calling plays, I can’t remember ever calling a play back-to-back after the first one failed.

I don’t even know what to say.

Now, let’s take a look at the final two run plays everyone is complaining about when Texas had the ball with four minutes left, holding a 21-20 lead from the Texas 15.  The first one failed because tight end Reese Leitao didn’t know who to block. Mental error. The second play was a zone read out of an unbalanced formation.  Instead of Sam Ehlinger keeping it, he hands it off to Roschon Johnson going to the left side. Braun and Leitao got beat, and those two defenders made the tackle.

I hear everyone complain about the time it took Tom Herman to get out of 21 personnel and into 11 personnel. Let me just say they should have never been in 21 personnel.  It has nothing to do with the plays or the situations. It has to do with the fact their tight ends (Leitao and Jared Wiley) can’t block, and the ball was never thrown to either of them. Coaches need to see this and take the tight ends off the field earlier.

I try not to be too critical of the coaches or players. I know one thing: everyone is trying to win the game.  I usually stay out of the week-to-week overreactions about if a coach is the greatest or should be fired.  Watch the film and you will see all you need to see. I watched this film and I am here to say on offense that both the coaches and the players were bad.

This loss falls across the entire offense - top to bottom. The fourth-and-2 call was bad. Taking too long to get out of the run game and into a pass-first, run-second mode was bad. Effort and execution by the players were bad. Getting beat physically is awful.

Now comes the moment when we see if the coaches can call a better game and if the players decide they want to be more physical than their opponent.  Baylor’s front three are damn good and physical along with linebacker Terrel Bernard (No. 26) being a tackling machine. Texas better show up for this one!

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 4