Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, texifornia said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/2020-NFL-Draft-Texas-Longhorns-football-Zach-Shackelford-signs-undrafted-free-agent-Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers-146471183/  

LOL...Thought Shack was supposed to be strong.  Not a good scouting report.

Shackelford has good feet and is seen as having good mobility, a redeeming quality when considering his limitations in power. Lateral slide and quickness should offer him some level of appeal in outside zone rushing offenses and he can move in space.

Shackelford's strength was a knock by NFL scouts, who noted his lack of power is evident when he sets his hands. He also struggles to make a strong set when having to take on rushes, possibly exposing him to power or twitchy linemen.

He's guilty of some lapses in both hand and footwork and he can be overwhelmed when defenses stunt and twist along the line. he's giving up his initial gap. Struggled at times with the simple tasks, too — like snapping. He rolled back a few too many snaps in Shrine Bowl practices.

An arm length of 31 inches was seen as a negative by NFL scouts who noted even when he's framed blocks well, he'll get out-reached by long-armed interior defenders. He's in need of more strength in the lower half because without much extension in the upper body, he's going to struggle to mask his lack of influence at the point of attack.

Edited by LTtxfan

29 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Nah, he's always been athletically limited but smart.

25 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

When Kerksetter played Center, the interior played better.. Angilou and Braun benefited with him at Center last season.  If Kerk does get the start at C in 2020, it's going to be fun

How in the hell did you put an extra 'k' in his name?

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/derek-kerstetter/9789

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Will he get the same AIDS that Hall got when his career ended? That kid went from 300+ to 180 over night.

Human beings don't just occur naturally at 300lbs. Especially not at 6'3" or 6'4". You have to shovel a lot into your body and train purposefully to hit that weight. Or just shovel even more food in. A lot of linemen lose big amounts of weight after football because they're no longer forced to keep it on. The others just get really fat, or were already.

33 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Human beings don't just occur naturally at 300lbs. Especially not at 6'3" or 6'4". You have to shovel a lot into your body and train purposefully to hit that weight. Or just shovel even more food in. A lot of linemen lose big amounts of weight after football because they're no longer forced to keep it on. The others just get really fat, or were already.

That, and many actively try to lose the weight because it generally isn't healthy to have that much mass. 

I mentioned it on the draft thread, but we took a two time All-ACC performer in Parker Braun and left him undrafted. tOSU took a lower regarded prospect in Jonah Jackson and put him in the 3rd round. 

I can't even find a draft profile on this guy. Anyone know what happened?

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I mentioned it on the draft thread, but we took a two time All-ACC performer in Parker Braun and left him undrafted. tOSU took a lower regarded prospect in Jonah Jackson and put him in the 3rd round. 

The NFL knock on him was two-pronged coming into Texas:

1.) Size. He is listed at 6'3" and played at GT at like 280 or something. I think Texas listed him at 300 but we all know how listing weights are. Right after a five course meal the evening before fall camp. I don't think he was ever considered to have NFL size outside of maybe getting a shot at center.

2.) Pass pro. Obviously coming from a triple option scheme at GT, his pass pro reps were extremely limited. His pass pro tape didn't light the world on fire here.

12 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Jonah Jackson was a much more highly recruited transfer for the reasons gmr listed. Not saying we came close to maximizing Braun, but no reason to rewrite history to make ourselves feel worse.

29 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Damn Atticus aggy, please try to be reasonable.  Your red ass is on display in multiple threads.  Parker Braun will do just fine.  

25 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Jonah Jackson was a much more highly recruited transfer for the reasons gmr listed. Not saying we came close to maximizing Braun, but no reason to rewrite history to make ourselves feel worse.

I didn't even realize they were both rated 95 on 247, I thought i recalled Jackson being the lesser preferred transfer between the two.

I'm a blunt guy, so I'm not intentionally dogpiling. Part of the fun in draft day is seeing names you remember reading about in those recruiting articles.

I couldn't find an answer on google, so I came here.

Edited by Atticus
  • Like 1

Parker was like 275lbs when he visited Texas.  He wasn’t a NFL prospect at GT either, or he wouldn’t have grad transferred here.  We’re going  to see more OLs drafted the next 3-4 years.  For the first time in a long time, we’ve given many of these guys redshirt years in a good S&C program with a consistent offensive scheme.  If Christian Jones keeps developing, he’s has top 3 round NFL potential.  Cosmi will go in the 1st two rounds.  He’s the best tackle prospect to come out of UT since the Vince days.  The film of him punking K’Lavon Chaisson is going to make GMs wet themselves.  I think Angilau and Tyler John both have NFL athleticism and size at guard.  Let’s see if Hand can develop them.  Kerstetter is a very good college OL that can play all 3 positions on the OL.  I don’t think he has NFL athleticism but some team will pick him up in the later rounds or as an UDFA.  I think next years OL is going the be the best one yet.  We’ve come a long fucking way from having to trot out Cameron Hughes out there.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kiper had Cosmi at #12 prospect and #2 OL in his way too early top 25 prospects for '21 draft. 

"Cosmi, who started at right tackle as a redshirt freshman in 2018 then switched to left tackle last season, is a phenomenal athlete. Just watch this 12-yard touchdown reception from 2019. He has great feet and can also bowl over edge defenders in the run game. If he puts all of his talent together, he could be a top-10 pick. The Big 12 is wide open in 2020, but the Longhorns have the league's best offensive lineman and a really solid veteran quarterback in Sam Ehlinger."

Edited by Coach pop a bitch
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Kiper had Cosmi at #12 prospect and #2 OL in his way too early top 25 prospects for '21 draft. 

"Cosmi, who started at right tackle as a redshirt freshman in 2018 then switched to left tackle last season, is a phenomenal athlete. Just watch this 12-yard touchdown reception from 2019. He has great feet and can also bowl over edge defenders in the run game. If he puts all of his talent together, he could be a top-10 pick. The Big 12 is wide open in 2020, but the Longhorns have the league's best offensive lineman and a really solid veteran quarterback in Sam Ehlinger."

In terms of draft stock, he just needs a season where he can credibly say he stuck above 300 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...