Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The Card/Epps lateral play inflated the rushing numbers.   Our run blocking inside didn’t look great given the competition.  They might have to run more off tackle behind Cosmi, but outside runs never seemed to be Herman’s deal.  

Interior pass rush will be fine when Collins and Sweat get more reps.   The edge rushers need to be better.  Ossai needs to avoid contact more instead of bull rushing and just trying to get there with motor. 

We are good, though.  Really good.  The schemes on both offense and defense are miles better than last year, and we have plus plus athletes all over except maybe OL.

We have plus athletes at OL as well.  Cosmi might be the most athletic tackle in the country and Christian Jones was basically recruited and offered based on this athletic profile.  Hookfin is also very athletic.  OL is simply lacking experienced depth on for the 2nd string.  

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Our run blocking inside didn’t look great given the competition. 

That's because UTEP was committing numbers inside. Want to stop that? Take the free 10 to 15 yards they're giving Ehlinger in the zone read game. I get not risking injury in a game like UTEP but if better competition plays this way Ehlinger has to run the ball. 

UTEP didn't stay contained at all in this game and Ehlinger could have run for an easy 100 if they needed it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's because UTEP was committing numbers inside. Want to stop that? Take the free 10 to 15 yards they're giving Ehlinger in the zone read game. I get not risking injury in a game like UTEP but if better competition plays this way Ehlinger has to run the ball. 

UTEP didn't stay contained at all in this game and Ehlinger could have run for an easy 100 if they needed it. 

Yeah, I liked Yurcich using WR screens to convert 3rd and short a couple times. We need to make teams pay for committing too many numbers on obvious run downs.

Unlike last year when OSU had extra men in the box and we ran right into them on fourth down while we had Smith and Eagles on the right side with one DB on both of them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So are there any write-ups analyzing the TEXAS OL performance for UTEP yet??

(Seemed like Angilau struggled in pass protection??)

Who got majority of reps with the 2nd team OL??

That idiot who writes for OB does analysis for the OL each game - goes through play by play for each guy on the OL.  I don't think that comes out until Monday or Tuesday though.

Thanks for this @satyanash 

(Eric Nahlin) Conversational thoughts: UTEP

- The offensive line isn’t going to be great this year. The goal will be for it to improve. I received a handful of text messages voicing concerns about the OL and I have them too. Without the hiring of Yurcich these concerns would be much more founded. Yurcich won’t be resolute to run first and asserting bully ball. And if bully ball doesn’t work, then hero ball. He’ll just pass first or formation the run game to his advantage. This offense isn’t nearly as predictable as last year. It was fun. Early on UT was winning based on chess rather than out-athleting. Texas will be able to easily turn on the run game when it needs to, but it will involve Ehlinger or a commitment to 12 personnel. It’ll get really fun when it’s both.

The run game not getting going is less of a worry, Kerstetter's holding penalties notwithstanding. Yurcich will always base his offense on reading the numbers in the box (which is why Okie Lite had so much trouble with Orlando's lightning package in 2017).

More concerning was seeing Christian Jones get beat multiple times in pass protection. You would expect a "league average" right tackle to hold up better against a UTEP-quality pass rush. At this point Jones is clearly the better option that Okafor, so let's see if he improves.

Thanks @satyanash 

(Bobby Burton) Texas vs. UTEP grades: Sam Ehlinger, offense dominates opener

Offensive line

For their first time together as a starting unit, the group played reasonably well. Some will nitpick about the lack of explosive plays in the run game, and that's a legitimate issue. However, UTEP was determined to make the Horns beat them through the air, which is exactly what Texas was able to do, in part because of solid pass protection given to the QBs from the OL. The move of Derek Kerstetter to center improves pass blocking, particularly to the left side where Junior Angilau can struggle. Denzel Okafor and Christian Jones both had solid games. Each had a whiff or two but they played solidly overall. Samuel Cosmi looks like a future first rounder. Of the back-ups, I was particularly impressed with Isaiah Hookfin. He knocked his defender back a couple of times in the run game and in pass protection. His ceiling is as high as any OL on the team, and that includes Cosmi. This unit's grade is dictated by the total yardage of the offense and the fact that Sam Ehlinger was not sacked all night.

Grade: A

(Lutz... Burton for giving OL a Grade A... there's a ton of work needed to get that OL group ready for B12 play),

Edited by LTtxfan

Thanks @satyanash

(Scipio Tex) 2020 UTEP Post-Mortem: Offense

OL

You shouldn't drop 698 yards and score 59 points and have a long concerns list, but the OL did have some hiccups. UTEP had a moderate tilt towards stopping the run early, even after Texas was gouging them throwing the ball, but there is some stuff that really needs to cleaned up. Pass protection breakdowns were as much on the protection as individuals getting beaten consistently. That's good or bad, depending on how you feel about which is more addressable by Hand. Christian Jones gave up a couple of flyby pressures on Ehlinger and just looked too hesitant at times, and the OL gave up too many hits on Ehlinger overall, even if he was converting many of those plays for big gains. It wasn't just the right side of the OL. Watch Angilau give up a QB hit on the Cade Brewer TD when he overextends on the interior defender. Run blocking didn't always create push, but some of that was guys not properly passing off in zone runs. Okafor had a terrific block that created the hole on Bijan's 29 yard burst. A Kerstetter hold negated a 35 yard RoJo run and from my vantage point it was a ticky tack call, but maybe his arm drifted out while cutting off the nose. Very few penalties overall, which is good.

We can always create more space by involving Sam in the run game against higher tier opponents and layering in the RPO game, but obviously we'd like to be able to run on honest boxes. A good scheme and a QB getting the ball out on time can bolster protection substantially and the zone run game should come together with more live reps. Ultimately, I'm interested in seeing good protection on clear drop back passing downs, when indecision won't slow down a rusher and the secondary knows it's pass all of the way. That's the real challenge. Accept that this is a work in progress. They have two weeks to work and get some other guys healthy and we'll gauge results against Tech in Lubbock.

Final Thoughts

Again, I can't stress enough that UTEP was weak. However, Texas did exactly what you should do to a bad football team and the offensive approach was perfect. Sam + Yurcich + skill player committees will work just fine. Whether this offense is very good or potentially excellent will rest primarily on health and the OL's growth.

Edited by LTtxfan

I'm sure there's TEXAS O-Line talk on today's podcast...

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/flagship-former-texas-all-american-dan-neil-recaps/id1279981104?i=1000491254310

247 The Flagship Podcast: Former Texas All-American Dan Neil recaps Longhorns' season opener vs. UTEP   ( Sept. 14th)

On Monday's episode of The Flagship Podcast, Horns247 columnist Chip Brown sits down with former Texas All-American and two-time Super Bowl champion Dan Neil for his take on the Longhorns. The two breakdown Saturday's game in detailed fashion, including guys who looked good and those who have some work to do.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/ut-utep-offense-grades-i-have-some-worries-about-this-team-151463439/ 

If you enjoy entertainment, here's a link to a thread on 247 where LotusCorn ripped the OL performance vs UTEP... Also criticized Ehlinger some.

Offensive Line: Yikes. PFF graded this group a C (76.9). Against UTEP. We got some massive problems here. If you are looking for our glaring weakness which could keep us out of championship contention, it's this group. Our pass blocking is decent, run blocking is awful and a liability. The issues on the oline I've been seeing for multiple years and I'm starting to question coaching.

Cosmi: Played great. Absolutely demolished defensive players in the run game and was absolutely mitigating players in the pass game. He had two or big three whiffs though that you shouldn't be seeing out of a top 10 pick. A bad one in the pass and a bad one in the run game. At the end of the day though he kept Sam clean and gave us a significant push in the run game. A-

Angilau: Massive inconsistency. Got overwhelmed repeatedly in the run game. Then he would make some great blocks. It's not a physical issue, this is technique. In the pass game he held his own but then would he miss an assignment or would just let someone blow by. I wasn't impressed at all. I wouldn't be happy with this performance against a talented team, much less UTEP. C+

Kerstetter: I feel bad for the guy. Whatever success he had at right tackle, is gone at center. I despised Shack at center, and Kerstetter is in my opinion possibly worse. Multiple mistakes in the run and pass game. To me it seems, again, technique and mental issues. What's even more worrying, is he didn't have the worst performance on the line. That would belong to the next guy. C-

Okafor: Terrible. Horrible. Absolute liability. Insane that this guy is in our top five offensive line players. Looked lost in every phase of the game. Was worse in the run game where he barely got a push. I'm terrified for what we'll see in conference play. Bad feet, hands, athleticism. D

Christian Jones: This guy has some very real promise. I'm excited to see his development. At times he looked dominant in the run game. What stood out to me however was some of his issues in pass blocking. Bad technique led to him letting up pressures on Sam, multiple times. I think he'll do us good in conference play if we can improve oline cohesiveness and get a little more practice in. C+

Edited by LTtxfan

24 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Who the hell is LotusCorn?  

Just a regular poster on 247 who started the above thread.  To learn more, just read the 247 thread -- it's unlocked...

On the PFF grade of 76.9, just remember that's for the entire game which includes 2nd and 3rd team OL...

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/ut-utep-offense-grades-i-have-some-worries-about-this-team-151463439/ 

If you enjoy entertainment, here's a link to a thread on 247 where LotusCorn ripped the OL performance vs UTEP... Also criticized Ehlinger some.

Anyone care to comment our O line performance? 

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I have to agree with most of that review although I was not as down on DK's center play. Angilou plays meathead fb & I do not see it with Okafor. Jones does not look ready either. Let's hope they were affected with 1st game nerves. 

34 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I have to agree with most of that review although I was not as down on DK's center play. Angilou plays meathead fb & I do not see it with Okafor. Jones does not look ready either. Let's hope they were affected with 1st game nerves. 

Two weeks to work on problems... glad they made mistakes vs UTEP so Hand learns what the HELL they need to work on.  Got to keep improving week to week to week to win a B12 Championship...

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I don't know if this is intended to be parody or not, but it's not accurate based on my rewatch.  Cosmi and Kerstetter were both great.  Kerstetter has a way different job as center than he did at right tackle and most of the time against UTEP, he was playing against a nose guard.  Very rarely did I see Kerstetter get beat, and I don't think I ever saw him make a mental error and blow his assignment.

Our next best lineman, based on my watch, was Okafor.  He played a pretty clean game and was solid in pass pro.

Christian Jones played fine.  There were some times where he missed an assignment (mentally) and a few times where he got beat (usually after first engaging).  He was okay.

Angilau was pretty obviously our worst OL on my rewatch.  Several mental errors where he just blows his assignment.  For example, on the 2 yard run by Roschon to go up 20-0, we run inside zone and Angilau leaves unblocked the guy that's right over him.  The DL runs right past Roschon and doesn't blow up the play, but it's a huge and inexcusable error.  Angilau ends up running around like a chicken with its head cut off on this play, really not doing anything.  There were too many Angilau plays that looked like this on my rewatch.

dwHQfk.gif

But look at the other OL.  They do a fine job.  Cosmi does a great job and is still locked up with his dude in the end zone when Roschon scores.  Kerstetter gets great movement on his block.  Okafor's block is solid enough, although the DL is able to disengage from him.  Christian Jones drives a poor safety across the hash. 

I'm not sure why Wiley doesn't try to work to #28.  If this were a real zone-read call, the DE actually gives Sam a pull read: look at how hard #10 crashes to Roschon; he's the guy that makes the tackle.  If there were a real read, Sam should pull the ball, but #28 would be lurking over the top.  Once Wiley helps Cosmi with the combo block, he should be looking for work and #28 runs right off of his hip.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

I don't know if this is intended to be parody or not, but it's not accurate based on my rewatch.  Cosmi and Kerstetter were both great.  Kerstetter has a way different job as center than he did at right tackle and most of the time against UTEP, he was playing against a nose guard.  Very rarely did I see Kerstetter get beat, and I don't think I ever saw him make a mental error and blow his assignment.

Our next best lineman, based on my watch, was Okafor.  He played a pretty clean game and was solid in pass pro.

Christian Jones played fine.  There were some times where he missed an assignment (mentally) and a few times where he got beat (usually after first engaging).  He was okay.

Angilau was pretty obviously our worst OL on my rewatch.  Several mental errors where he just blows his assignment.  For example, on the 2 yard run by Roschon to go up 20-0, we run inside zone and Angilau leaves unblocked the guy that's right over him.  The DL runs right past Roschon and doesn't blow up the play, but it's a huge and inexcusable error.  Angilau ends up running around like a chicken with its head cut off on this play, really not doing anything.  There were too many Angilau plays that looked like this on my rewatch.

dwHQfk.gif

But look at the other OL.  They do a fine job.  Cosmi does a great job and is still locked up with his dude in the end zone when Roschon scores.  Kerstetter gets great movement on his block.  Okafor's block is solid enough, although the DL is able to disengage from him.  Christian Jones drives a poor safety across the hash. 

I'm not sure why Wiley doesn't try to work to #28.  If this were a real zone-read call, the DE actually gives Sam a pull read: look at how hard #10 crashes to Roschon; he's the guy that makes the tackle.  If there were a real read, Sam should pull the ball, but #28 would be lurking over the top.  Once Wiley helps Cosmi with the combo block, he should be looking for work and #28 runs right off of his hip.

I hope he got chewed out for that play.  Terrible.  

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

What credentials does this clown have for grading O-line performance?

BTW, a 76.9 PFF grade is actually pretty decent.  A PFF O-line grade in the 80's is excellent.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

dwHQfk.gif

Great stuff... Thanks @Katfid54 

On 9/13/2020 at 10:00 AM, Hiphopopotamos said:

That idiot who writes for OB does analysis for the OL each game - goes through play by play for each guy on the OL.  I don't think that comes out until Monday or Tuesday though.

I don't know if I'm in the minority on this but I like Dunlap's OL writeups. At the very least he is one of the few Texas writers that has an actual grading metric that can be tracked and reviewed over the course of the season. 

The other thing I want to point out about OL play this week--Shack was a 4 year starter at the leading position on the OL. Say what you want about his play, but the C is in charge of a lot pre-snap. It'll take some time for the line to adjust to someone new at that spot. I think some of the issues with missing assignments will improve over time as the new starters get experience and everyone settles in with Kerstetter at C. 

That said I still think this line has a pretty hard ceiling of above average. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

dwHQfk.gif

Angilau clearly recognized his mistake mid-play. Do you think he initially thought it was inside zone to the left?

Thanks to @satyanash 

Humidor:  

A battle is emerging at right tackle between Christian Jones and Isaiah Hookfin. Jones originally received the start because Hookfin sustained a slight shoulder injury, but at the time, Hookfin was playing guard and Denzel Okafor was playing right tackle. The injury to Hookfin forced Okafor to right guard and Christian Jones to right tackle. That injury may have been a blessing in disguise for a couple of reasons: Okafor appears entrenched at guard now, which has likely been his best position all along, and, after receiving live snaps versus UTEP at tackle, and looking good doing it, Hookfin is earning more reps at tackle.

Offensive tackle was always the evaluation for Hookfin, with playing guard appearing to be a way to get his feet wet. However, he may be too good to keep off the edge in a year where there is no certain starter. Known for being athletic and hard working, the staff may be forced to live with the highs and lows he’d bring as a redshirt freshman.

But Christian Jones won’t go away quietly and hasn’t been jumped by Hookfin as of yet. We could see a scenario where this competition plays out in games as much as in practice. That would probably be to the benefit of Hookfin. Jones played a little timid at times but he could show vast improvement in the coming weeks as he becomes more comfortable. The staff needs both of the players now and in the years to come so it will be interesting to see how things are handled.