Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

18 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

Here's another one. This is from the first drive. A blitzer lines up right in the middle. At the snap, neither Majors nor Okafor pick him up. I think this is on Okafor - he goes for the double team and ignores a guy right in front of him.

split.gif

Just love when I see OT/OG double and a C/OG double in pass protection, while a LB blitzes A gap untouched, especially when the LB was kind enough to wear a neon sign on his helmet to let everyone know he was blitzing. 

On 9/22/2021 at 8:08 PM, Texasrocks said:

Here's another one. This is from the first drive. A blitzer lines up right in the middle. At the snap, neither Majors nor Okafor pick him up. I think this is on Okafor - he goes for the double team and ignores a guy right in front of him.

split.gif

On 9/23/2021 at 3:23 PM, JBJ said:

That's the read man.

Look at how Rice plays this. All 11 inside of 10 yards. No safety over top of the outside formation and Rice comes flying up at the mere hint of a receiver screen. If Bijan picks up the blitzer, and we show this action with a one count and release with the blocking receiver, there is a fade route to be had off of this. A faster receiver and its a TD. I bet Sark has that in his pocket if he sees this look again a little further down the season.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/23/2021 at 5:38 PM, Burt Macklin said:

Jeff Howe said, per PFF,  81% of the run yards to the left are after contact while only 52% are after contact on the right side, ie we are much better at run blocking on the right side. 

Best edge players are usually lined up on that side, so there is that.

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I guess Flood told the OL they’re all Art majors now, right @Thatguy

It was obvious what needed to be the staple of our run game. Glad to see the coaches adjusted. 

And miraculously, once our OL had some success and tasted aggression, we were able to get some movement inside against a whooped ass defense looking to defend the perimeter. 

Oh, and you can still play pass off the lesser used inside run game just fine. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

So when we scheme/run plays that fit the personnel, the O-line is decent?

Or am I just delirious, right now?

Some non meathead stopped and asked the following in a staff meeting...”So what if we run the plays our players are good at instead of what we like to run as coaches?”

After a solid 90 seconds of stunned silence the OL coach said “Whoa, that’s deep” under his breath, and Sark decided to accept the challenge of tailoring his offense to be based on OZ. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I guess Flood told the OL they’re all Art majors now, right @Thatguy

It was obvious what needed to be the staple of our run game. Glad to see the coaches adjusted. 

13 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

And miraculously, once our OL had some success and tasted aggression, we were able to get some movement inside against a whooped ass defense looking to defend the perimeter. 

Oh, and you can still play pass off the lesser used inside run game just fine. 

Geezus you guys are ridiculous with your knee-jerk reactions to everything. It's Tech. I answered your post in the other thread, but you guys are all over the place. The sky is falling one week, followed by look at how great we are the next, and see THATGUY, told you we can do this and that. How about you be more even-keeled, understand what kind of teams OZ works against, and chill the hell out. Lets just bask in the one week glory of Arkansas was better than we thought they were. Had Arkansas' QB not gone down, and they not be able to move the ball for pretty much 2 full quarters, then they would've held Aggy to under 200 yards of total offense. They were better against Aggy on both sides of the ball than they were against us.

8 hours ago, TXpride said:

So why are we burning Conner's redshirt in garbage time? Is Imade so bad he can't be out there with a 35 point lead?

Yeah, I don’t think Sark really gives a shit about redshirts. Brooks and Conner are steaming towards a shirt burn, as they should. 

Playing Charles Wright in game 4 was very curious.

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah, I don’t think Sark really gives a shit about redshirts. Brooks and Conner are steaming towards a shirt burn, as they should. 

Wright played only because Card allowed a delay of game, and then was a split second away from consecutive delay of game penalties. Sark yanked him for not being mentally prepared.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I just don't see garbage time reps making that much of a difference. I'd rather us try to redshirt every O-lineman (unless there's no other option, e.g. Connor Williams). We'll wish we did 3 years from now.

As for Brooks, I don't have a problem with it; if a running back is any good (which he appears to be), it's not a smart business decision to stick around for a redshirt senior year.

2 minutes ago, TXpride said:

I just don't see garbage time reps making that much of a difference. I'd rather us try to redshirt every O-lineman (unless there's no other option, e.g. Connor Williams). We'll wish we did 3 years from now.

As for Brooks, I don't have a problem with it; if a running back is any good (which he appears to be), it's not a smart business decision to stick around for a redshirt senior year.

The staff views Conner as our 6th or 7th best OL, and he’s the primary backup if any of our interior OL get hurt so he’s going to play a good bit this year and may even end up starting at some point. He’s been getting more than just garbage time reps this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Geezus you guys are ridiculous with your knee-jerk reactions to everything. It's Tech. I answered your post in the other thread, but you guys are all over the place. The sky is falling one week, followed by look at how great we are the next, and see THATGUY, told you we can do this and that. How about you be more even-keeled, understand what kind of teams OZ works against, and chill the hell out. Lets just bask in the one week glory of Arkansas was better than we thought they were. Had Arkansas' QB not gone down, and they not be able to move the ball for pretty much 2 full quarters, then they would've held Aggy to under 200 yards of total offense. They were better against Aggy on both sides of the ball than they were against us.

Or maybe we just understand that running OZ well is a better option than running IZ poorly regardless of the opponent.

Oh noes, we might face an athletic front!!!!!!!! How does we ever account for that????? STFU. You’re on the wrong side of this. It’s been clear which concepts our players can execute well since the end of last year. Same dudes playing this year. Same shit works. And now we have a one cut monster starting at RB.

I personally don’t care what offense we run so long as it works. I am, however, good and damn tired of trying the force things that don’t work in the name of dogmatic BS.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Here or in another thread, it was speculated or asserted that Flood had "designed" the OL and the run game (his end of it anyway) for the Big XII.  And Arkansas is kind of the opposite of the Big XII.

Tceh is still more or less the epitome of the Big XII.

Could this partly supply the reason the OL looked actually pretty good yesterday?

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Here or in another thread, it was speculated or asserted that Flood had "designed" the OL and the run game (his end of it anyway) for the Big XII.  And Arkansas is kind of the opposite of the Big XII.

Could this partly supply the reason the OL looked actually pretty good yesterday?

Past season's this oline was trash and not improving. To allow 0 pressures even if it is against tech that's a sign of an improving unit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Past season's this oline was trash and not improving. To allow 0 pressures even if it is against tech that's a sign of an improving unit. 

The O-line's performance against Arkansas was, I believe, worse than anything we saw last year, combined with the scheme that seemed to work overtime to expose its weaknesses.

Granted, there should be improvement over time, but two weeks from one of the worst to  one of the better OL performances in years seems like a lot, even accounting for Tcehs suckage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not sure about the previous post you're referencing but I'd push back a bit on the Tech D being emblematic of the Big 12 as a whole. OU is only undefeated because of their defense. Same for Oklahoma State. ISU has been playing some really good defense the past few years and the scheme Arkansas deployed was very similar to theirs. Don't know what the hell is going on at TCU this year but they've always been a good defensive team and a steady producer of NFL draft picks on defense. One of CFB's most renowned defensive coordinators took over the Baylor job. The Big 12 had five top 20 S&P defenses last year if I remember correctly. This conference plays defense now and Arkansas's scheme was not totally foreign.

I haven't had a chance to watch the game yet but I've read that Texas fed Tech a steady diet of OZ. That is really encouraging. I was skeptical that they would make that shift given the way the OL was constructed and the offense was designed the first few games of the season, despite it being known that the strength of the OL was it's athleticism and ability to block OZ. I guess seeing reality play out forced their hand - it sucks it had to be learned the hard way, but at least it seems to have been learned. If the past staff had learned from mistakes instead of stubbornly repeating them, they'd still be here and my liver would probably have a couple additional years in the tank, so that's a very welcome change. It does make Karic's absence even more curious. If you're willing to shift to a more OZ heavy approach, why would you not work him in?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The O-line's performance against Arkansas was, I believe, worse than anything we saw last year, combined with the scheme that seemed to work overtime to expose its weaknesses.

Granted, there should be improvement over time, but two weeks from one of the worst to  one of the better OL performances in years seems like a lot, even accounting for Tcehs suckage.

Arkansas runs the same defense as ISU. 

Our OL execution was abysmal combined with running into fronts that looked inviting, but were bait for hard charging secondary members. In short, it was very much a Big XII defense. 

Our guys were confused, executing poorly and being asked to do things they aren’t very good at in addition to all the pig emotion etc.  

Poor design, poor play selection, poor player deployment, poor execution and poor preparation for the kind of environment we were walking into. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Scipio Tex --  Texas Tech Postmortem

The Longhorn offense also murdered Texas Tech in space, up close, and everywhere else, turning 11 offensive possessions into 9 touchdowns. This is how you want Texas offensive drive charts to look:

10-75-TD
9-80-TD
12-75-TD
6-40-TD
9-84-TD
3--5-INT (Bench Casey Thompson!)
2-7-TD
6-87-TD
3-75-TD
6-60-TD
9-46-Downs

Texas ran 75 plays for 639 yards at 8.5 yards per play and put 63 on the board (7 were from Josh Thompson). Once again, Texas found its footing in the ground game, relentlessly running outside zone until Tech tried to adjust and then the entire running game repertoire opened up for 336 yards. The Texas offensive line and running backs are pretty good at outside zone. WHO KNEW?

OL

I'm starting with the much criticized big guys up front. They dominated. Great game. Pockets in the passing game were nearly flawless (Thompson's only sack came when he mishandled a play action fake and fell on the fumble), #11 had all day to throw, and even when he moved off of his spot, it was to step up into a wide open window or as a covered Tech defender went by. That's not pressure. That's just moving from a good pocket to a better one. Two observations:

The Texas OL did a much better job of maintaining cohesion inside (no turned shoulders or guards bailing out on Jake Majors) and on the exterior the tackles are allowing defenders determined to sprint up field to go right past Thompson while they provide a helpful push and maintain contact. Kerstetter is particularly good at this. This served as the Windex on Casey's passing windows.

In the run game, Texas pounded outside zone like the coaches told them this was going to be our first 10 scripted runs. It turned out well. As they gain facility in running it, they will start to realize (again) that it's the most flexible running play in football. Being able to run OZ opens up every other run in the repertoire as defenders start to worry more about occupying blockers and their relation to their gap and the depth and path of the ballcarrier than playmaking and attacking the offense. Thinking, reflective defenses are generally faltering defenses and well run OZ introduces a lot of doubt to defenders at every level.

Okafor had an early holding call and Jones drew another in the second half on a Thompson scramble, but that's the the extent of the malfeasance list for the OL. Every Texas guy whipped the guy in front of him on most downs. Energy was great, pad level was better, physicality was markedly improved. Tech's DL stinks, but the Raider LBs don't, and Texas generally clowned them. Tech had only 3 tackles for loss (had been averaging 8+ per game) and one of those was Casey Thompson sacking himself with a fumbled snap.

Watch (correction: Tope Imade) #67 on the right side on this Robinson 3rd and 1 run. Skip to 10:21:

Thx for this @satyanash

• Hook 'Em 1