Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

6 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I’m just going to do a bit of hit and run on this thread, but someone reconcile a few things for me.

First, of our top 4 offensive performers per PFF, three were Olinemen. The other was Bijan. Our 4 lowest rated guys were skill position players and the 5th worst was a TE.

Second, we gave up 3 sacks and 4 QB hurries. Those 3 sacks were due to a backup guard and the RBs playing a part in the other two. Only threw 27 passes.

So the numbers aren’t horrific and indicate some positives from the front five at least from PFF. Are there some numbers somewhere that indicate this unit played like trash versus OSU? Do we consider PFF useless? If it’s an RB, that helps screw it up, are we still tagging the Oline?

If you give any weight to PFF, then OU was a clear screw up on the coaching staff. Kerstetter was an 87 versus OSU and 54 graded pass blocker versus OU. The move inside may have been a net negative at two positions. Then Angilau likely lost some continuity too. Historically, PFF loves Kerstetter at RT but not on the interior. No matter what PFF says that was an incredibly dumb move by the staff. It hurt us big time versus OU. And that dumbshittery had to have had some negative carryover to OSU.

Guess I still need to watch the presser.

no don't watch the presser where the actual coach explains why he did everything he did just keep posting stupid shit about PFF which is all the sudden the bible to some people, oh yeah stat people.

First off, I'm not a big stats guy and I don't pay much attention to PFF.  Seems like they're good for adding information to a discussion, and that's it. 
Some of my comments on what you stated though, as much as we all love Bijan he is average to below average in pass protection.  Maybe a lot of it is communication with the QB on protection sets, but bottom line is the starting RB position isn't adding much on passing or play action.  He has to see the field though so let's work around all that somehow.  Another nitpick is he moves early on nearly every snap and it's starting to get egregious, but I digress.  Tight ends are also very spotty across the board... Nothing new there.  And the skill players like Moore had bad drops cuz he kinda sucks and Worthy well he got blasted on several screens probably because the OSU corners were way bigger, and older.  Idk haven't looked at PFF I'm just posting while sick and should be sleeping
As for your 2nd paragraph, OU is flat out superior to OSU on the DL... Doesn't that factor in to why guys are grading out worse vs a better opponent?  Or is that supposedly accounted for?  Truly not sure what or how PFF arrives at their numbers
Lastly, what did the QB get as rating?  

QB rating versus OSU was a 44, lowest on the offense.

I’m not totally sure how PFF grades, but the grade for Kerstetter in pass pro was outstanding. In spite of not knowing how they specifically grade, I made the assumption they are consistent week to week, team to team. Kerstetter has graded better on the outside than inside the last three years to which all would agree.

OUs front is better than OSUs. Rodriguez caused us lots of problems last week so not real sure their front did any damage. Rod bullied Roschon for one of those sacks.

I agree with your comments on the pass pro from the TEs and Bijan. Then throw in some free releases from the Oline way too often, and it is less than an ideal pocket. In this particular game, Worthy got his butt handed to him several different times attempting to block on plays that would have been nice gains otherwise. He’s not big or strong enough or savvy enough to get that done.

just went to their site, didn't know it was a fantasy football thing. How much do you pay?

Maybe I own the site and my efforts to draw you there worked.

I got the info from Longhorns Wire that was referenced above.

Actually I did get a sub around super bowl as I was curious how the OLines for KC and Tampa were rated. Don’t use it for fantasy football or any weekly review of the Horns.

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

QB rating versus OSU was a 44, lowest on the offense.

I’m not totally sure how PFF grades, but the grade for Kerstetter in pass pro was outstanding. In spite of not knowing how they specifically grade, I made the assumption they are consistent week to week, team to team. Kerstetter has graded better on the outside than inside the last three years to which all would agree.

OUs front is better than OSUs. Rodriguez caused us lots of problems last week so not real sure their front did any damage. Rod bullied Roschon for one of those sacks.

I agree with your comments on the pass pro from the TEs and Bijan. Then throw in some free releases from the Oline way too often, and it is less than an ideal pocket. In this particular game, Worthy got his butt handed to him several different times attempting to block on plays that would have been nice gains otherwise. He’s not big or strong enough or savvy enough to get that done.

Ok, this falls in line with my personal feelings as a fan.  The O line generally did improve over their play vs OU, but neither me or anyone else can say whether it had to do with personnel, or simply a different set of opponents and challenges, or both.  Either way, I felt the game vs OSU was lost at the QB position, and the 2nd half offensive struggles came mainly from Casey not mentally recovering from the pick six.  Combined with a very active and veteran linebacker group smelling blood in the water, and good field position play by OSU, we would have needed exceptional play from the line, and that's a tough ask at this point. 

Also, good tight ends do absolute wonders for an offense in this position.  Herman fools gold strikes again

Edited by squeegeedegg

6 hours ago, hookem48 said:

he falls back on plays our pathetic oline can supposedly block. We will forever be in this situation (over a decade now)until our pathetic oline is fixed no matter how much you guys think the old triple reverse halfback pass back to the qb will work.

If Mackovic thought like you roll left never happens.

On 10/18/2021 at 5:57 PM, Atticus said:

I think Casey's reads are just as big of an issue as the OL at this point. I would also like to see more of the Rojo direct snap package. It should help us convert short yardage with an extra blocker, and maybe even give him an pass option out of it at some point. 

Agree.  A better OL would make Casey look better, but he still can't perform against decent defenses.

Don't know anything about Suamatia, but his 247 page does show he had an offer from Bama and camped there, with Banks and Flood as his recruiters, so there's some preexisting connection there. Though he is from Utah - Utah exists to ruin our day with the transfer portal and BYU did get a visit, so blindly I'd give those two the best odds. What a huge get that would be though.

On 10/18/2021 at 5:57 PM, Atticus said:

I would also like to see more of the Rojo direct snap package. It should help us convert short yardage with an extra blocker, and maybe even give him an pass option out of it at some point. 

more? More?? MORE?@!?!?  WTF Sark

On 10/18/2021 at 3:22 PM, westexhorn said:

Sark said in his presser that they tried to go back to a few of the plays that they did well to help the oline get some confidence back.  Clearly got shutout by Ok St as they still couldnt get anything going.

This seems rather predictable. "Oh we can't do shit, let's go back to the limited shit that they've already seen and are now ready for." It seems that we have lost our sense of urgency and creativity in the second half of games. We can't be the only team in college football that has turnstiles all along the line. Game plan around that when it has become obvious in the second half.

I'm out of my element. Peace.

We need to hire an NFL coach to scout for our offensive line.   Their only job will be to look for offensive linemen.  Pay the dude 2 million a year to drive around for 6 months out of the year and do nothing else.    This dude should not belong to any coaching staff but simply report to the AD.   

See, I can fix every problem with your money.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

We need to hire an NFL coach to scout for our offensive line.   Their only job will be to look for offensive linemen.  Pay the dude 2 million a year to drive around for 6 months out of the year and do nothing else.    This dude should not belong to any coaching staff but simply report to the AD.   

Pay him $200k to identify the OL. Use the other $1.8mm to buy them with. Surely, we've got a Big Ed Bookman-type out there who'll spring for the $2mm. 

See, now you're fixing every problem with Big Ed's money. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

more? More?? MORE?@!?!?  WTF Sark

This seems rather predictable. "Oh we can't do shit, let's go back to the limited shit that they've already seen and are now ready for." It seems that we have lost our sense of urgency and creativity in the second half of games. We can't be the only team in college football that has turnstiles all along the line. Game plan around that when it has become obvious in the second half.

I'm out of my element. Peace.

Seeing something a few times before doesn't make you able to stop it from then on. Even if a team is ready for something, the other team can out execute them. Calling something they execute well is a good way to start a drive. The guys just aren't blocking it well even against favorable looks.

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Nivek said:

What is Mike Sherman up to today? He has a pretty good eye for OL.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Before the season, I didn't think it could be possible for our o-line to be worse than 2017's.  How do yall think this o-line compare's to 2017?

Better talent ceiling, but Jones is probably worse than Nickelson. Vahe would probably be the second best OL on this team right now too.
  • Like 1

Saw this in a video prior to Baylor game:

Here are some stats before the Baylor game comparing the current results this season for Baylor vs TEXAS O-linemen:  

• 6 Bear O-linemen in Top 20 ranking for run blocking in B12 
  • 6 Bear O-linemen in Top 20 ranking for pass blocking in B12 

Texas has only 1 player in Top 20 run blocking (Angilau) and only 1 player Top 20 pass blocking (Kerstetter)

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

PFF grades are out. Maybe our best pass blocking effort based on their metrics. Three guys greater than 80 (Jones, Karic, Kerstetter). One over 70 (Angilau).

Casey also got an 82.

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-football-longhorns-baylor-bears-loss-pff-grades-report-card-xavier-worthy-casey-thompson/.

Yeah I made this point in the fame thread. The grades for the first half I’m sure are double the second half

Edited by alphahorn

4 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

They can’t be worse than the covid year seniors that are playing. I agree ordinarily you wouldn’t but this season is shot. Time to start looking ahead to next year. 

Yes they can, and likely are. Shit Merrill needs to be shown the portal anyway. I don't know what to say about Johnson and Hookfin, it appears they don't like football all that much. Garth's knee injury in HS really set him back, and Parr is a JAG. Connor has played plenty this season, and only looked good against Rice and a shitty Tech defense.

Who are these young OL you want to play?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

You don't start freshmen on the OL. 

Has worked out for the aggies who are starting two currently, one at center and the other at RT. Those guys played early and looked rough in the beginning but as the season went along they progressed and Fatheree looks like a future nfl 1st rounder.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes they can, and likely are. Shit Merrill needs to be shown the portal anyway. I don't know what to say about Johnson and Hookfin, it appears they don't like football all that much. Garth's knee injury in HS really set him back, and Parr is a JAG. Connor has played plenty this season, and only looked good against Rice and a shitty Tech defense.

There is no reason Imade should be playing over Conner, especially going forward with this season. Get Conner the experience so he can roll into next year not being inexperienced. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I think the senior OL by and large are a waste of space and as they won't be here next year and this season is blown up I would rather start underclassmen

Karic sucked in an outing but reps are much more valuable for him to get than Imade or Jones.

Put Parr in, Garth, Connor. The reps they gain now will serve the team better than wasting them on the lumps we have on the OL currently playing.

I by no means am an OL expert (far fucking from it) I am just tired of seeing guys who have been on campus forever do jack shit.