Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

FWIW, currently Army has 184 yards rushing against OU.  I think our o-line is better than theirs and might be able to keep the chains moving against the Sooners with running the ball.  They are showing dominance in the second half of the last two games allowing the defense to rest and leading time killing drives with a lead.  Good mojo.
I wouldn't read too much into Army's triple option run totals against OU either way. It's largely scheme, which is completely different from Texas, and you could argue that holding an option offense below 200 is an achievement given that they run the ball 50 plus times a game.

This line has just not been that good at run blocking. Marginally better than last year but were still sub 4 ypc yesterday. Watson and Ingram have been good at making sonething from nothing and Sam has had a couple nice runs but the ground game leaves a lot to be desired with this group. Rewatching TCU right now and Cosmi in particular had a pretty tough time run blocking in the first half. Just not a lot of movement and getting to the second level in general from this group. Still, better than getting blown off the ball.

I would echo the sentiment that they look really good in pass pro. Sam holds the ball too long back there sometimes but the fact that he even has that long is incredible given where this group was a year ago. Vahe is slow and has let some guys go up the middle when he has no help or has to pick up a blitz/stunt as a result, but otherwise it has been solid all year.

Elijah is playing better than Shack ever has and should remain the starter, especially if this group can continue to build on its progress and pave the way for a big day on the ground next week.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 9/23/2018 at 3:46 PM, Hook'Em0608 said:

I'm not gonna lie, I don't want Shack back in the starting lineup. Rodriguez is the better center. Kerstetter is better at guard than tackle too. Cosmi shouldn't be leaving the lineup regardless, he looks like the read deal. So if Shack is inserted, Rodriguez or Kerstetter better be going to the bench. 

herman/hand plz dont replace rodriguez  with shack 🙏

• Like 1

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Anderson has somewhat underwhelmed so far at LT. Just got beat hard on a speed rush and gave up a strip sack that could have been disastrous.

Anderson was said in preseason to be vulnerable to speed rushes. I was actually quite concerned that Ben Banogu would roast him in the TCU game because of it, but the damage wasn't all that bad.

4 hours ago, hookem48 said:

is that good or bad?

Well we've seen a fuckload of bad in recent years so it almost has to be good. 

Today was a rough performance by the OL. Maybe the worst of the year, though it is worth qualifying that it was still better than anything last year. Still no push in the ground game and they gave up some pressure on the QB as well. Fortunately they are serviceable enough that Watson, Ehlinger, and especially Ingram can make something of it, but we aren't going to be grinding anyone to a pulp this year. We do need to stay committed to the run though, particularly next week. Make OU respect it and play 6-7 man boxes so LJH, CJ, and DD can abuse their shitty DBs.

Edited by gmr548

19 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

If ever there was a game the line needed to step up and run block it's this one. We can't win if we don't run for a 150+ yards. 

Ugh, yeah, hmm, I’m gonna have to go ahead and sort of...disagree with you there. I think that OU will put as many men near the LOS as needed to stop our running game, and gamble that Sam continues to suck with the long passes (which is a pretty good bet). This team is not a DKR-era team and it’s not going to run at will on OU. If they try that, they will find themselves with 30 rushing yards in the first half and down by 3 TDs. I think the way to beat them is to burn them deep and force them to back off. Only then will they be able to run the ball.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Is Cosmi our best OL, five games into his freshman year? Didn’t see that coming.

Probably, of the 6 guys that have played the most snaps I would rate them thus:

1) Cosmi

2) Kerstetter

3) Anderson

4) Rodriguez

5) Vahe

6) Shackelford

As much as the OL has improved from last year to this year, the best players are still in their 1st and 2nd seasons.

With Hudson likely out for the season, Texas is going to hit the grad transfer market next year, or they are likely looking at an OL of Cosmi, Imade/Aniglau, Shackelford, Kerstetter, Okafor. They really need a GT center.

Edited by HtownHorn

Dude seems like he doesn't like dumb questions in that presser he did for Beck lol.

herb_man_doesn_t_like_questions.jpg

I agree - no more Shack. 

Also, all these threads about individual defensive players and Sam .... blah blah.. NONE of it matters if the O line does it's job, we score, our defense will be good enough to get stops and we win. Our O line doesn't do it's job, we lose. People will blame Beck, Herman, Sam, playcalling anything.. Doesn't matter. The O line does its job, we stuff it down their throats and we win. 

THE GAME HAPPENS IN THE TRENCHES 

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Probably, of the 6 guys that have played the most snaps I would rate them thus:

1) Cosmi

2) Kerstetter

3) Anderson

4) Rodriguez

5) Vahe

6) Shackelford

As much as the OL has improved from last year to this year, the best players are still in their 1st and 2nd seasons.

With Hudson likely out for the season, Texas is going to hit the grad transfer market next year, or they are likely looking at an OL of Cosmi, Imade/Aniglau, Shackelford, Kerstetter, Okafor. They really need a GT center.

YEP. Since Shack has been hurt, it seems like playing those top 5 guys has worked great.

4 hours ago, Zavala said:

Dude seems like he doesn't like dumb questions in that presser he did for Beck lol.

herb_man_doesn_t_like_questions.jpg

I agree - no more Shack. 

Also, all these threads about individual defensive players and Sam .... blah blah.. NONE of it matters if the O line does it's job, we score, our defense will be good enough to get stops and we win. Our O line doesn't do it's job, we lose. People will blame Beck, Herman, Sam, playcalling anything.. Doesn't matter. The O line does its job, we stuff it down their throats and we win. 

THE GAME HAPPENS IN THE TRENCHES 

shack is starting elijah moved to rg

4 hours ago, Carl Winslow said:

shack is starting elijah moved to rg

Yeah, I saw this too. I was hoping it was a misprint. 

"After playing last weekend against Kansas State, junior center Zach Shackelford is expected to start now that he’s fully recovered or close to fully recovered from the foot sprain that caused him to miss several games. The current plan is to start senior Elijah Rodriguez next to Shackelford at right guard, with sophomore Derek Kerstetter also set to receive some action."

Shack could use a red-shirt year to get stronger. He's probably been rushed.
He could work on some technique, too... I said it when he was coming out of HS... it's easy to judo throw HS defenders who are smaller than you... it's easy to find a guy who you can pancake because you're naturally bigger.... but not when you get to CFB and you're the small guy on the OL and the NG in front of you has your weight and strength, but is 3 inches shorter...

What Shack had in HS was bully attitude... which is good, if you can back it up.