Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

On 9/23/2019 at 10:08 AM, sushihorn said:

Rewatching OSU it became clear just how dominant the O-Line was.  The left side got caved in frequently using straight zone.  On power and counter the pullers were blowing open huge holes with their kickout blocks.  The Cowboys rarely got penetration, as reflected by only 3 TFLs (each for 1 yd) and ZERO sacks.  I was a bit surprised that Texas averaged only 5.0 YPC but looking at the stats, the 2 kneel downs in victory formation took the YPC from 5.4 to 5.0 and the former is more reflective of what the OL did on Saturday.

It's too bad 2 of those 3 TFL's came on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 where we telegraphed the play and OSU sent their entire front 7 through the gaps.

On 9/23/2019 at 11:05 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

LOS is great, but it seems like 2nd level blocking isn’t there to allow for long runs. Our rbs might get through the line fairly clean but always are met by next level defenders and have to fight and break tackles to get a 20 yard run. 

Is that a product of how we block, of how defenses play against us, bad luck?

is that the next step the OL or offense needs to take?

Defenses play zone against us a lot, because we show a lot of quick routes on film. It seems we take 4-5 deep shots a game, and usually outside the hashes. Of course, you have an injured starter, a true freshmen backup that was recruited as a QB, and the most athletic guy out for another 3-4 weeks. Ingram started busting long gains against Rice and looked healthy against OSU.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:29 PM, Coach pop a bitch said:

West Virginia is allowing 172 yards running per game with 4.18 yards per carry. I'm confident they haven't dealt with a coach hand type of line. Can we expect a healthy Ingram to rush for more then 150? I say fuck yes.

Easily. I honestly won't be surprised if both Ingram and Roschon both go for 100

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Lol Shea Patterson really making the most of that line. There's a reason Ole Miss got better when Ta'amu was the starter.

He’s fucking horrible. He misses wide open guys all the time. Camps and playing at IMG really obscured the fact that he can’t read defenses to save his life.

nrw-tx-kstate-47.jpg

Texas offensive lineman Derek Kerstetter (68) works against Kansas State defensive end Tanner Wood (34) in Austin on Oct. 7, 2017. NICK WAGNER / AMERICAN-STATESMAN

"Texas notebook: Longhorns linemen bond over grilling competitions, living arrangements"

October 1st, 2019. Danny Davis   

Texas offensive lineman Derek Kerstetter spent his 21st birthday Monday at a Chipotle.  That was by choice, though. The junior swears by the food chain and highly recommends a double serving of rice in your burrito bowl. Fellow lineman Samuel Cosmi said that Kerstetter has even been known to bring his own Chipotle into other restaurants that the linemen are dining at.  “I firmly believe Chipotle is the best restaurant in Austin,” Kerstetter said on Tuesday. “It’s great for you, it’s great (for your) budget and it’s great food.”

As passionate as Kerstetter is about Chipotle, it isn’t his only culinary love. He’s been grilling since high school. That hobby has set up a rivalry within his own home.  During UT’s weekly availability with players, both Kerstetter and senior center Zach Shackelford claimed to be the grill master of the house they share with four other linemen. Shackelford, whose bye-week activity included grilling a bone-in ribeye, is known for his seasoning and preference of charcoal. Kerstetter does a mean marinade and can use a smoker.  “They both cook really, really good steaks,” Cosmi said.  Shackelford, Kerstetter and Cosmi are roommates with backup linemen J.P. Urquidez and Reese Moore. Mikey Grandy, who medically retired before the 2018 season, also lives among the Longhorn linemen. When that house hosts the linemen for dinners, Shackelford said the grocery bill can be “pretty pricey.”

Five of the seven sacks allowed by Texas this season came in the LSU game. The Longhorns are averaging 165.5 yards on the ground. In Kerstetter’s eyes, those on-field successes are related to the off-field bonding.  “We’re basically like brothers. We’re like a little family,” Kerstetter said. “It’s been a lot of fun just kind of growing closer and seeing each other more outside of the football bubble.”

Grade corrections: Each week, Texas uses a grading system to determine how its offensive linemen fared. Cosmi, a redshirt sophomore, said he first graded out as a champion during the second game of the 2018 season. At first, he recalled, “it seemed like it was almost nearly impossible to grade out as a champion.” Now Cosmi knows exactly what a championship performance looks like.  In fact, he recently corrected the grading done by assistant coach Herb Hand after the 36-30 win over Oklahoma State on Sept. 21. After receiving an 84 percent — champions must get at least an 85 — Cosmi obsessed over Hand’s scoring of one play. After watching film and concluding that his assignment and technique on that play were correct, he presented his findings to Hand. The coach agreed with the grading and Cosmi was given his fourth championship grade of the season.

“It’s just something about that. I don’t not want to be a champion,” said Cosmi, a 6-7, 300-pound left tackle. “Knowing that I did put the effort but my football ability didn’t let me grade out as a champion, there’s something about that just irritates me in the back of my head. Even being a point shy was irritating me.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-notebook-longhorn-linemen-bond-over-grilling-competitions-and-living-arrangements/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

When we hired him I read over and over how he couldn't coach pass protection.  
Looks like he learned how. 

I remember the posts about that. There were plenty of questions about Braun being able to learn to handle pass pro quickly too. Be damned if Hand hasn’t done a good job of teaching that.

It seemed to me, looking back I thought I saw it at the time but didn't remember till reading the LSU sacks total in the article above, that the LSU D-linemen slanted right and held the Texas OL so Chaisson could stunt from DE all the way in through the center gap.  Anyone remember that play late in the first half, IIRC, on third down that caused a sack and a punt?  Did I see that elusive, rarely called, DL holding, clearly not called on the play?

Edited by zork

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

That left side of the line is pretty damn good.  Wish we had Braun for more than a year (and hope Cosmi wants to come back).

Braun's motor is always running.  His father is a coach and his older brother also played and was a multi-year starter for GT so he knows what it takes.  He is downright nasty at LG and I like to believe that his intensity is contagious.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

nrw-tx-kstate-47.jpg

Texas offensive lineman Derek Kerstetter (68) works against Kansas State defensive end Tanner Wood (34) in Austin on Oct. 7, 2017. NICK WAGNER / AMERICAN-STATESMAN

"Texas notebook: Longhorns linemen bond over grilling competitions, living arrangements"

October 1st, 2019. Danny Davis   

Texas offensive lineman Derek Kerstetter spent his 21st birthday Monday at a Chipotle.  That was by choice, though. The junior swears by the food chain and highly recommends a double serving of rice in your burrito bowl. Fellow lineman Samuel Cosmi said that Kerstetter has even been known to bring his own Chipotle into other restaurants that the linemen are dining at.  “I firmly believe Chipotle is the best restaurant in Austin,” Kerstetter said on Tuesday. “It’s great for you, it’s great (for your) budget and it’s great food.”

As passionate as Kerstetter is about Chipotle, it isn’t his only culinary love. He’s been grilling since high school. That hobby has set up a rivalry within his own home.  During UT’s weekly availability with players, both Kerstetter and senior center Zach Shackelford claimed to be the grill master of the house they share with four other linemen. Shackelford, whose bye-week activity included grilling a bone-in ribeye, is known for his seasoning and preference of charcoal. Kerstetter does a mean marinade and can use a smoker.  “They both cook really, really good steaks,” Cosmi said.  Shackelford, Kerstetter and Cosmi are roommates with backup linemen J.P. Urquidez and Reese Moore. Mikey Grandy, who medically retired before the 2018 season, also lives among the Longhorn linemen. When that house hosts the linemen for dinners, Shackelford said the grocery bill can be “pretty pricey.”

Five of the seven sacks allowed by Texas this season came in the LSU game. The Longhorns are averaging 165.5 yards on the ground. In Kerstetter’s eyes, those on-field successes are related to the off-field bonding.  “We’re basically like brothers. We’re like a little family,” Kerstetter said. “It’s been a lot of fun just kind of growing closer and seeing each other more outside of the football bubble.”

Grade corrections: Each week, Texas uses a grading system to determine how its offensive linemen fared. Cosmi, a redshirt sophomore, said he first graded out as a champion during the second game of the 2018 season. At first, he recalled, “it seemed like it was almost nearly impossible to grade out as a champion.” Now Cosmi knows exactly what a championship performance looks like.  In fact, he recently corrected the grading done by assistant coach Herb Hand after the 36-30 win over Oklahoma State on Sept. 21. After receiving an 84 percent — champions must get at least an 85 — Cosmi obsessed over Hand’s scoring of one play. After watching film and concluding that his assignment and technique on that play were correct, he presented his findings to Hand. The coach agreed with the grading and Cosmi was given his fourth championship grade of the season.

“It’s just something about that. I don’t not want to be a champion,” said Cosmi, a 6-7, 300-pound left tackle. “Knowing that I did put the effort but my football ability didn’t let me grade out as a champion, there’s something about that just irritates me in the back of my head. Even being a point shy was irritating me.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/texas-notebook-longhorn-linemen-bond-over-grilling-competitions-and-living-arrangements/

spacer.png

I'm guessing he finally figured out the secret to eating chipotle.

Braun's motor is always running.  His father is a coach and his older brother also played and was a multi-year starter for GT so he knows what it takes.  He is downright nasty at LG and I like to believe that his intensity is contagious.

Coming here he was considered very strong in run blocking but relatively less experienced in pass protection, no? The overall performance of the OL and especially in pass protection has to be extremely beneficial to him as a guy looking to prove his draft worthiness.

Hope Herman has a no Chipotle rule 72 hours before games. Don’t need the whole OL picking up food poisoning.

20 hours ago, Laga4 said:

When we hired him I read over and over how he couldn't coach pass protection.  

Looks like he learned how. 

May have had to do with the Malzahn offense which is very run centric and has a lot of window dressing creating a lot of looks for defenses which in turn creates a lot of looks for OL countering those defenses. 

13 minutes ago, staboner said:

think they are playing ok. i think WVU knows what plays are coming for the most part. runs and passes

Playcalling's been super predictable. But we're still not getting much push in the middle. WVU LBs are flowing to the ball pretty much unhindered.

Just now, longhornmatt said:

I would fly a fire Tom Herman banner if we tried to throw a fucking backwards pass to an offensive lineman against OU.  I’m good with the time and place for that call, Kurt.

Respectfully disagree. However, I expect Roschon will pass it to Sam for a TD.

I have no idea why we were so bad in the run today. Somebody who knows more than me should explain it.

Edited by Thetexashammer

16 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Respectfully disagree. However, I expect Roschon will pass it to Sam for a TD.

I have no idea why we were so bad in the run today. Somebody who knows more than me should explain it.

That kind of stuff always becomes much more apparent on rewatch, which I haven’t done, so I could be off, but the biggest thing I noticed is we kept trying to run zone away from the side Darius Stills was lined up. Much like we’ve done to many teams on defense, Stills/WVU knew it was coming and when a guy with Stills’ quickness slants towards the zone, it’s almost impossible to stop. Most of the time we were asking Angilau to reach block Stills on zones to the left, which was pretty much an impossible task. Shack should have (or should have been coached to) help Angilau our before moving on, but instead he helped out Braun (who didn’t need help most of the time), then tried to move to the second level. Shack did what you’d normally do on that play, but the coaches should’ve changed it up for this game, or not called the play. 
We also generally had a lack of creativity and failed to call runs or screens that would make Stills pay for over pursuing. Overall, I think issues in the run game were more due to playcalling/a lack of creativity, than our players having bad games. The coaches did a poor job of putting them in positions to win. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1