Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

Please explain to me, slowly because my fragile mind can't handle too much nuance, what the fuck happened today here. This, to my understanding, was our #1 advantage coming into this game. Then it wasn't. Right side got worked but I don't think the left did a whole lot better. 

Whole fucking offense sucked today but this one puzzles me. They just never practiced against stunts and slants or what?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Please explain to me, slowly because my fragile mind can't handle too much nuance, what the fuck happened today here. This, to my understanding, was our #1 advantage coming into this game. Then it wasn't. Right side got worked but I don't think the left did a whole lot better. 

Whole fucking offense sucked today but this one puzzles me. They just never practiced against stunts and slants or what?

It’s a combination of many factors compounding each other. 

Yes, it is a weakness. LSU found success stunting but Sam would beat them enough with his legs to to overcome it. Now Sam most likely got hurt in the LSU game because  he has not been the same. He definitely isn’t running as much, and has developed a bad habit to hold the ball way too long and then can’t escape the pressure. 

Now take into account that Herman stopped calling plays for some reason (short of stopping his family from being murdered, the reason isn’t good enough)

So, our run game has been sluggish this season anyway, but when you take away Sams running, our offense becomes one dimensional and the blitz ate us alive. 

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Yes, it is a weakness. LSU found success stunting but Sam would beat them enough with his legs to to overcome it. Now Sam most likely got hurt in the LSU game because  he has not been the same. He definitely isn’t running as much, and has developed a bad habit to hold the ball way too long and then can’t escape the pressure. 

Now take into account that Herman stopped calling plays for some reason (short of stopping his family from being murdered, the reason isn’t good enough)

So, our run game has been sluggish this season anyway, but when you take away Sams running, our offense becomes one dimensional and the blitz ate us alive. 

The running game has been hurting with Ingram in. It seems to be a whole lot better with RoJo 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

1. Not sure if he got injured or he's thinking too much within each play call. I don't doubt him reading coverages right but it seems like he's become much more hesitant to take what is there/ get rid of it (intentional grounding call perfect example.)

2. Is this speculation or the only rationale came up with? Don't doubt that one either...

3. I'm sorry but Ingram needs to be second string, fuck feelings. It may not be entirely on him for his issues this season but having him in place of Roschon is criminal at this point. 

7 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

The running game has been hurting with Ingram in. It seems to be a whole lot better with RoJo 

This guy gets it

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

The o-line sucked this game, but we're headed in the right direction with them. Least concern of all the groups. 

That's what I thought--probably what everybody thought. Until this game. By and large, we couldn't open holes for the running game and 9 sacks is brutal in the passing game.  "F-" in both areas. I guess time will tell if this game was an aberration or if we're not nearly where we need to be. 

(Still trust Hand waaaaay more than most of the assistants on the defensive side, and don't trust Orlando at all.)

33 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Shack is the weakest player along the OL.  Last season Kerk came in and did better than Shack for the stretch of games he was out.

Surly OL experts, any deep dive in problems that occurred for Texas OL verses blOU??

I know Shack was blown up a time or two, just curious about the other guys??

Does it make sense to rotate Kerstetter at center or RG a few plays against Kansas??

Edited by LTtxfan

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Surly OL experts, any deep dive in problems that occurred for Texas OL verses blOU??

I know Shack was blown up a time or two, just curious about the other guys??

Does it make sense to rotate Kerstetter at center or RG a few plays against Kansas??

Appears that the simple stunt OU kept running was due to break down in communication between Shackelford and Angilau. Not surprising that Grinch attacked the RS Fr and the worst OL on the team.

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Appears that the simple stunt OU kept running was due to break down in communication between Shackelford and Angilau. Not surprising that Grinch attacked the RS Fr and the worst OL on the team.

One of the worst issues to have for an OL is problems up the middle....

Even Tom Brady struggles with rushers that break thru in the center/guard areas...

Edited by LTtxfan

That's what I thought--probably what everybody thought. Until this game. By and large, we couldn't open holes for the running game and 9 sacks is brutal in the passing game.  "F-" in both areas. I guess time will tell if this game was an aberration or if we're not nearly where we need to be. 
(Still trust Hand waaaaay more than most of the assistants on the defensive side, and don't trust Orlando at all.)

RoJo averaged 5.5 ypc even after removing his 50 yarder. Sam's starts are so skewed by sacks that it's hard to evaluate, but he did score twice on the ground and I remember at least one other pretty effective run for him. Keontay didn't play well but that doesn't mean running lanes weren't there. Texas did okay or even fairly well when it tried to run the ball. That's without the benefit of wearing the OU defense down over the course of the game with a commitment to the run.

You can say running lanes weren't there, but that's because the gameplan didn't feature any sort of serious effort to run the ball.

As for pass pro, nine sacks obviously speaks for itself. I haven't rewatched and don't think I will but it seemed like it was the right side, Shack through Kerstetter, really having trouble with picking up blitzes/stunts as well as Gallimore individually. I don't remember Cosmi ever getting beat.

Shack is the least talented of the OL and is petty much always hurt to some degree. He's out there for leadership and because he's a senior that knows the calls. You can generally make that trade off at Center if it's the weak link on the OL, which I'd say it is.

I think you get Kerstetter some practice reps at C because he probably slots on there if Shack goes down and is probably your opening day starter there next year. I'm sure they do that already to an extent. But I wouldn't do it in a game. The blueprint is out - teams are going to stunt and blitz the right side of this OL going forward. Those three need the in game reps against KU to work on handling that stuff because TCU, ISU, and Baylor all have NFL DL that can be schemed into 1 on 1 matchups the same way OU did for Gallimore.

Side note - Texas doesn't have the top end talent at the position as it has had in years past but this is a really nice year for DL in this conference. Stills brothers (WVU), Gallimore, Perkins (OU), Blacklock, Bethley (TCU), Lynch (Baylor), and Lima (ISU) will all get NFL looks. Several will be drafted. Bailey at ISU is really good too but he got hurt.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sock Drawer said:

A lot of those sacks were Sam not throwing the ball away, too. But yeah, it wasn't a good game for these guys, but they'll get better. They were humbled, and hopefully that should send them a message. Hand has work to do, but he's working with what he was left, and a true frosh on the line. He does have Cosmi, but even he got worked a bit. 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Shack has and continues to be a dumb football player, now most should understand what a mess it was having Shack/Vahe for the 3 past years. Rodriguez was a smart player and helped the right side last year. Too soon to tell which trend Junior's development will follow.

15 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Shack has and continues to be a dumb football player, now most should understand what a mess it was having Shack/Vahe for the 3 past years. Rodriguez was a smart player and helped the right side last year. Too soon to tell which trend Junior's development will follow.

Seemed like Shack took on double teams with G when G had guy lined up right over him and a LB would be like 2 feet off the line and run in unblocked on a couple of occasions. Just zero insight into what D is planning.

I don't think Shack is award worthy, but he's taking too much of the blame from a total shit job by our entire line. It looked like he was taking double teams a lot, but he's not the answer, regardless. I can't remember off the top of my head, but is Kerstetter a junior or senior? He should take over at C, and move Imade to RT. 

I don't think Shack is award worthy, but he's taking too much of the blame from a total shit job by our entire line. It looked like he was taking double teams a lot, but he's not the answer, regardless. I can't remember off the top of my head, but is Kerstetter a junior or senior? He should take over at C, and move Imade to RT. 

Insert a 350lb guard who has never repped at tackle at RT. That will help pass protection. Bold move. Where do I send my $9.95?

18 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Kerstetter is a true Junior.

27 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Insert a 350lb guard who has never repped at tackle at RT. That will help pass protection. Bold move. Where do I send my $9.95?

Didn't know he never played RT, my apologies. I knew guard, but for whatever reason I kept thinking he had repped T in practice. 

Seemed like Shack took on double teams with G when G had guy lined up right over him and a LB would be like 2 feet off the line and run in unblocked on a couple of occasions. Just zero insight into what D is planning.

Shit, we should have just thrown Brewer back there as a FB/H-back, couldn’t have been any worse. Lol

Okay, I'm going to open myself up to the "ask your husband" comments, but whatever. What is a "stunt" (use small words), and haven't these guys seen some form of stunt since middle school? Isn't there some kind of adjustment that can be made once it becomes obvious that the stunts are coming. I assume that a stunt is something of a gamble iow there must be some down side to using them...leaving a hole where there was none before...some down side.  Can't adjustments be made to take advantage of the down side?

Okay, I'm going to open myself up to the "ask your husband" comments, but whatever. What is a "stunt" (use small words), and haven't these guys seen some form of stunt since middle school? Isn't there some kind of adjustment that can be made once it becomes obvious that the stunts are coming. I assume that a stunt is something of a gamble iow there must be some down side to using them...leaving a hole where there was none before...some down side.  Can't adjustments be made to take advantage of the down side?