• Ghirmai                 C         
  • Tyler Johnson     RG 
  • Christian Jones   RT 
  • Imade                   RG/RT
  • Garth                   RG
  • Hookfin                RT
  • Hayden Conner
  • Max Merrill

Depth at center and left tackle are concerning -- hopefully Kerstetter returns healthy in 2021.

image.pngChart thanks to @RollLeft

I feel like we do have some talent at the OL position just lack some experience. We also have some depth now that we didn't 2-3 years ago. I'm excited to see what Flood will do with these guys.

I like your lineup but may make a slight change.

LT - Isiah Hookfin 6'5 314

LG - Karic 6'4 295

C - Majors 6'3 298

RG - Okafor 6'4 317

RT - Kerstetter 6'5 295 - Could play guard and I think that may be his best position if he wants to make it to the NFL.

Rotational:

Christian Jones - Jones is the typical size that Sark/Flood want on the offensive line and I see him making a huge jump with Flood in terms of production

Junior Angilau 

Tope Imade

Edited by BurntOrange&White

57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I feel like we do have some talent at the OL position just lack some experience. We also have some depth now that we didn't 2-3 years ago. I'm excited to see what Flood will do with these guys.

LG - Karic 6'4 295

C - Majors 6'3 298

RG - Okafor 6'4 317

RT - Kerstetter 6'5 295 - Could play guard and I think that may be his best position if he wants to make it to the NFL.

Rotational:

Christian Jones - Jones is the typical size that Sark/Flood want on the offensive line and I see him making a huge jump with Flood in terms of production

Junior Angilau 

Tope Imade

Angilau isn’t great but he isn’t getting benched. 

Thanks for this @Machinator  

What do those who were on the inside think? The Athletic spoke to four members of Texas’ 2020 staff who were granted anonymity in return for offering a clear picture of what Sarkisian inherits on the Longhorns’ roster.

Offensive line
In the bowl win over Colorado, the Longhorns started four freshmen and a sophomore on the offensive line. One of those freshmen, center Jake Majors, drew a lot of praise from the former staff members. The sophomore is right tackle Christian Jones, a former high school soccer player who reported at 275 pounds, is now 6-6, 320 and is “starting to figure things out” according to Coach Two. Derek Kerstetter, who has started 37 games, is coming off ankle surgery that caused him to miss the bowl game. Also coming back is senior Denzel Okafor, who started every game in 2020 other than the bowl game at right guard.

“On the offensive line, we really only signed two kids in this class,” Sarkisian said during his signing day press conference. “Moving forward, that is gonna be a position that we’re gonna have to focus on in the 2022 class.”

• 3 weeks later...

With DK officially back the OL battle is going to be really interesting this year. They sure looked good in a small sample vs mediocre opponents at the end of the year with Karic/Jr/Majors/Tyler/Jones, but now Okafor, DK, and Hookfin are back in play now.

Have to think Majors is a lock to start and probably Junior.

Other three positions will be battles. If healthy, I'd expect DK at RT because of pass pro (not sure how he compares to Jones in the run game). But maybe not if Jones is improving. Overall a lot of different lineup options though.

LG - Karic 6'4 295
C - Majors 6'3 298
RG - Okafor 6'4 317

Rotational:
Junior Angilau 
Tope Imade

Karic isn’t playing guard.

Your day 1 line is probably Karic, Junior, Majors, Okafor, Kerstetter. Jones and Johnson are the two that will probably also play filling in for injury or just getting reps (OL shouldn’t be rotating much by the time you hit conference play). If it gets beyond that Texas is going to be way worse than people think.

16 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Karic isn’t playing guard.

Your day 1 line is probably Karic, Junior, Majors, Okafor, Kerstetter. Jones and Johnson are the two that will probably also play filling in for injury or just getting reps (OL shouldn’t be rotating much by the time you hit conference play). If it gets beyond that Texas is going to be way worse than people think.

Yeah it's hard to decide what the line will truly be. We don't know how these guys will take to the new coaching and where Flood will want them. I feel confident in Flood's development of them though and that's the first time I can say that about a Texas OL since early late 90s early 00s. I also feel like the position these guys were in last year won't be the same this year for some of them and that we will prioritize getting the best 5 on the field.

It does appear we have some decent depth as well which will be huge, especially with good coaching. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Yeah it's hard to decide what the line will truly be. We don't know how these guys will take to the new coaching and where Flood will want them. I feel confident in Flood's development of them though and that's the first time I can say that about a Texas OL since early late 90s early 00s. I also feel like the position these guys were in last year won't be the same this year for some of them and that we will prioritize getting the best 5 on the field.
It does appear we have some decent depth as well which will be huge, especially with good coaching. 

Agreed, Flood is a proven OL coach who should elevate the group. He may not be as good as the Alabama OL made him look - I’m pretty sure anyone who understands OL play reasonably well could get that unit to be outstanding - but he was successful in that position at Rutgers and has worked in the NFL. He knows what he’s doing.

I’m not sure we’re going to see the kind of position shuffling everyone seems to expect though.

IT on the OL

Spoiler

OFFENSIVE LINE

Previously we’ve mentioned the staff thinks the o-line has some workable parts. They think they can win with these guys, however the Texas OL room won’t be confused for Bama’s any time soon. That’s where the 2022 recruiting class comes into play.

Offensive tackle: In an effort to add length to left tackle, the staff will test Christian Jones on the blindside. He’s always had the frame and athleticism, but was on a longer developmental curve. Perhaps he’ll be a test case for just how good Kyle Flood is.

Andrej Karic will still get his shot at tackle but lack of length is a concern for the coaches, at least initially. They want to see him tested versus athletic pass rushers, of which Texas doesn’t have a lot of.

Isaiah Hookfin will get a look at tackle. IT was quite surprised when it learned Herb Hand wanted to play him at guard rather than tackle. This staff had a similar response.

Derek Kerstetter’s return adds depth whether he starts or not, and also versatility. On the hoof he doesn’t look like Jones or Hookfin, but he’s scrappy and can move his feet. He may be a guard, however.

Interior: Jake Majors might not have been a prospect Bama would have pursued but the staff thinks he can be a good player. While there aren’t a ton of players to test Karic at OT, there are numerous NFL players to help sharpen Majors.

As stated, there is no depth chart, but it’s safe to say both Majors and Junior Angilau are very likely to start at center and left guard respectively.

Tyler Johnson, one of the few guys on the roster who looks like a Bama player, is said to be thought of highly by the staff. He has the baseline traits and shows good effort.

Denzel Okafor, Tope Imade, and Rafiti Ghirmai will also add competition and/or depth.

The staff is going to have 10 guys capable of playing and around 7-8 capable of starting.

The talent is not Bama, but it’s not bad. And yeah, if they can find a starter in the portal, they’ll add one.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT on the OL

Hide contents

OFFENSIVE LINE

Previously we’ve mentioned the staff thinks the o-line has some workable parts. They think they can win with these guys, however the Texas OL room won’t be confused for Bama’s any time soon. That’s where the 2022 recruiting class comes into play.

Offensive tackle: In an effort to add length to left tackle, the staff will test Christian Jones on the blindside. He’s always had the frame and athleticism, but was on a longer developmental curve. Perhaps he’ll be a test case for just how good Kyle Flood is.

Andrej Karic will still get his shot at tackle but lack of length is a concern for the coaches, at least initially. They want to see him tested versus athletic pass rushers, of which Texas doesn’t have a lot of.

Isaiah Hookfin will get a look at tackle. IT was quite surprised when it learned Herb Hand wanted to play him at guard rather than tackle. This staff had a similar response.

Derek Kerstetter’s return adds depth whether he starts or not, and also versatility. On the hoof he doesn’t look like Jones or Hookfin, but he’s scrappy and can move his feet. He may be a guard, however.

Interior: Jake Majors might not have been a prospect Bama would have pursued but the staff thinks he can be a good player. While there aren’t a ton of players to test Karic at OT, there are numerous NFL players to help sharpen Majors.

As stated, there is no depth chart, but it’s safe to say both Majors and Junior Angilau are very likely to start at center and left guard respectively.

Tyler Johnson, one of the few guys on the roster who looks like a Bama player, is said to be thought of highly by the staff. He has the baseline traits and shows good effort.

Denzel Okafor, Tope Imade, and Rafiti Ghirmai will also add competition and/or depth.

The staff is going to have 10 guys capable of playing and around 7-8 capable of starting.

The talent is not Bama, but it’s not bad. And yeah, if they can find a starter in the portal, they’ll add one.

Excited to see what happens with Tyler. So I guess they're saying he'd be a RG? Seems like he played well in his one game vs Colorado

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT on the OL

Hide contents

OFFENSIVE LINE

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think Kerstetter could make it to the NFL as a guard and should try and get work there if he's healthy. Speaking of what is the timetable for his return?

I don't see Kerstetter at Guard at all. He's not powerful enough to get movement off the LOS in the run game, which is the primary thing asked of guards.  He also wouldn't hold up well pass blocking DTs.  He's much better at Tackle where he can use his feet and agility to stay in front of edge rushers.  He can get away with giving more ground in pass pro at Tackle than Guard.

I also don't see any way Jones is our LT.  He has so many issues with footwork and technique, there's no way he gets enough of it figured out to be our best option at LT going into the season.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thx @Machinator 

IT Team notes... O-Line

*Keeping in mind that a real depth chart hasn’t been issued, and it would still be meaningless if it existed, here’s how the OL looked this week during team sessions (left-to-right): Christian Jones-Denzel Okafor-Jake Majors-Junior Angilau-Andrej Karic. There are a million potential combinations with the abundant OL parts and the coaches will experiment with everything, e.g., Tope Imade at RT. Jaylen Garth is slotted to begin at LT with this staff. Derek Kerstetter will either be a RG or RT. There’s some hope Jones will flourish with good, consistent coaching. This was to be his year to take the next step; having Flood should help. Will he ultimately be better than Karic? There’s no way to know, but that would be a very good sign.

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn autocorrect

New Texas OC/OL coach Kyle Flood inherits a deep group heading into spring

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/3/16/22331135/texas-longhorns-offensive-line-kyle-flood-derek-kerstetter-junior-angilau

Spoiler

In spite of a group that potentially returns four of five starters, the Texas Longhorns have a lot of questions to answer along the offensive line as the head into spring practice.

Perhaps the biggest question to answer is the status of Derek Kerstetter.

After Samuel Cosmi opted out ahead of the Kansas State game, the Longhorns experimented with a new lineup in the trenches. Sophomore Christian Jones shifted from right to left tackle to fill the spot, Kerstetter moved from center to right tackle — where he spent the 2019 season — and true freshman Jake Majors stepped into the starting lineup at center.

The experiment seemed to work as Texas found success on the ground, but the experiment was short-lived after Kerstetter left the game in the first half due to injury.

Following surgery for a dislocated ankle and a broken fibula, he remained relatively silent while many other seniors were announcing decisions about their additional years of eligibility. With a potential five-month recovery from the injury, it’s likely we won’t know the full answer to that question until fall, so the true look of the offensive line will likely remain cloudy ahead of fall practice.

However, he is reportedly set to return for 2021 and as a player with NFL aspirations, a year to show he’s healthy and can play will go a long way for his professional future.

Kerstetter’s likely return means that Texas can look to freshman Jake Majors to take over in the middle.

Prior to last season, it seemed like Majors had a shot at taking the job, but former offensive line coach Herb Hand opted for experience in the middle of the line. It seems as if Majors not only came to campus with a higher floor than many expected, he also showed up ready to compete, passing redshirt sophomore Rafiti Ghirmai on the depth chart at center.

Majors came to Texas as one of the earliest recruiting wins for Hand; coming in at No. 195 nationally in the 2020 recruiting class, the Prosper product was the second-highest player Hand secured in his time on the Forty Acres. Majors hoped to get up to speed earlier than expected as an early enrollee, but COVID stopped the spring season. So with a full period of spring conditioning and practice, the hope is that Majors can fulfill the talent that earned him a top-200 ranking by building on his success late last season.

The other three positions, left tackle, left guard and right guard, have plenty of talent to sort through.

Fourth-year player Junior Angilau, who made the move from right guard to left guard a year ago, sits with 22 starts under his belt heading into spring practice. The new coaching staff will likely start with a clean slate, but Angilau obviously has a leg up in the experience department as well as talent floor heading into the competition. Angilau managed to hold down the left guard position for the entirety of the 2020 season, so a change there would be surprising.

Christian Jones was another 11-game starter from a year ago, starting the first nine games of 2020 at right tackle, before shifting to left for the Kansas State experiment and then back to right tackle following Kerstetter’s injury. To his advantage, of all of the linemen vying for position during the spring, he has the most positional versatility, meaning he has an opportunity to compete both at guard and at tackle. But with Kerstetter likely to miss part or most of spring practice, expect Jones to remain outside. At least for now.

If Jones does eventually compete inside, he will take on sixth-year senior Denzel Okafor, who chose to take advantage of the additional year of eligibility for that guard spot. Although listed as the starter on the depth chart heading into the Alamo Bowl game, Okafor was not available and redshirt freshman Tyler Johnson got the start in the bowl game.

Perhaps the most intriguing player to watch in the battle is redshirt freshman Andrej Karic, who was another young lineman to come in and make waves a year ago.

As a part of the 2020 class, Karic was a relatively late addition for Hand, but was eager to be a Longhorn, taking his first visit and committing all within 60 days. He was an early enrollee and another young player that may have competed for playing time early had he not lost out on the entirety of his early enrollee spring practice.

His frame and skillset has drawn comparisons to another under-recruited tackle who became an NFL prospect — former Texas left tackle and current Dallas Cowboy Connor Williams.

When Kerstetter returns, Texas will have a solid core of four players with significant experience now and two young players in Karic and Majors who look like potential multi-year starters if they continue developing.

As Flood enters his first spring on the Forty Acres, one of the important storylines is whether any other young or inexperienced players step up from a group that includes Johnson, Ghirmai, and redshirt freshman guard Logan Parr.

As Flood takes over the group with a blank slate, Texas needs to sort out the offensive line quickly to aid the installation of a new offensive system, as well as breaking in a new quarterback, because when the 2021 season opens, the offensive line will likely be the group with the most to say about the early success of the Texas offense.

giphy.gif

Feeding us the kool-aid since it gets more clicks.

Thx TARS...

(Eric Nahlin) Spring Roster Audit: Offense

Offensive Line
Derek Kerstetter: I don’t see him winning a tackle spot in 2021 and I’m not sure he has the size, strength, and upside as some of the contenders at guard. But I’m hyped he elected to return because he helps set a higher floor on the o-line. If he’s not starting next year, it tells you a lot about the o-line. If he has an NFL position, it’s as a center, and yes I’m aware of his struggles last year. The younger tackles are going to have to compete to unseat Kerstetter.
Denzel Okafor: My sentiments on Okafor echo Kerstetter. He may start at guard but he’s going to have to hold off younger talent with more upside. If he gets beat out it’ll say good things about the overall quality of the guards. I’ve always felt he could be a really good guard. Maybe Flood unlocks something. Could be an emergency tackle.
Junior Angilau: The light might have started to come on later in the 2020 season for Angilau. Flood will have to work on his pass-pro but the new OL coach will find a game-run blocker with the sort of attitude he’s accustomed to working with in Tuscaloosa. Angilau is a very likely starter at guard but he’ll have to compete and earn it.
Christian Jones: From a traits standpoint, he’s an NFL starter kit but his tape still has a long way to go. His awareness in picking up stunts or blitzes has been lacking. He still thinks too much which limits both his athleticism and physicality. The staff will try him out at left tackle, which makes sense when you see him in person. He has to become much more reliable on the field before you trust the quarterback’s blindside to him. Too bad the roster doesn’t have Joseph Ossai on it to test Jones’ progress.
Andrej Karic: The staff is going to do all it can to develop Jones but part of me thinks Karic will end up winning the LT job thanks to consistency. He’s like a stud version of Kerstetter. He has length limitations but his feet and fight help him get by. He does have good quickness. With more S&C he could be a stud guard, especially in a scheme that gets him on the move. If he did end up at guard, that will speak volumes about the tackles.
Isaiah Hookfin: We know he can be a good guard, but there’s a chance he can also become a good tackle. Tackle upside will be explored this spring. The current staff is wondering why he wasn’t played at tackle. In addition, tackle was the high school eval.
Jake Majors: Excellent high school tackle tape and a Stanford brain to boot, but length limitations forced him to center. He’ll struggle 1-on-1 with bigs like Keondre Coburn and T’Vondre Sweat, but that’s not only a Jake Majors issue. Big spring for him as he has a new offense to learn — we tend to put that learning curve more on quarterbacks — but he has the aptitude to pick things up quickly.
Tyler Johnson: Late in the 2020 campaign we began to see signs of Johnson’s tantalizing ability. He’s a tackle athlete but in a guard body. Seeing him with the quickness to make tough reach blocks was encouraging. For the OL to reach its ceiling, Johnson needs to emerge as a starter and future draft pick. Could be an emergency tackle.
Tope Imade: He could start at guard and not look out of place. He’s a bit heavy footed but can be an effective drive blocker. There is a lot of competition at guard and it will be difficult to win playing time but it goes to show you how improved things are since the 2017 season.
Rafiti Ghirmai: He’s bounced around the line in his time in Austin. Guard seems to be the natural fit and there is still some upside to him at that position. He wouldn’t be out of place if thrown into a game. We’ve heard him called physical in the past.
Jaylen Garth: Injuries have robbed Garth of developmental time but the staff still has him penciled in at left tackle. We’ll be interested to hear how he looks this spring. He was limited most of last season.
Logan Parr: Length limitations make him guard specific, though he could potentially learn center as well. The roster does need a long-term backup plan at center.
Hayden Conner: The early enrollee is slated for guard. There’s a quality combination of size and athleticism for Flood to work with.
*Quick note: We’ve heard the new staff is intrigued by Max Merrill’s high school tape. Would he be a guy at Bama? No. Is he a piece they can work with at Texas? Yes.

Edited by LTtxfan

14 hours ago, pacman said:

Ideal starting lineup?, aka supposed "length" and "tools"

Jones - Angilau - Majors - Johnson - Hookfin

Realistic starting lineup?

Karic - Angilau - Majors - Kerstetter - Jones

I think Karic belongs in both. Maybe sub him out for Johnson at RG in your ideal lineup:

Jones - Angilau - Majors - Karic - Hookfin

If everyone is heathy and Flood decides that is the best five that would be a really positive sign. 

• 2 weeks later...

No matter who the starting 5 will be, I am sure Flood will build depth during games unlike Hand, who played the same 5 until injury forced him to change or in the rare case we kicked someone's ass. So just UTEP. By the time we were kicking KSU and Colorado's ass he had already lost his starting LT (quit) and starting C (injury).

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

No matter who the starting 5 will be, I am sure Flood will build depth during games unlike Hand, who played the same 5 until injury forced him to change or in the rare case we kicked someone's ass. So just UTEP. By the time we were kicking KSU and Colorado's ass he had already lost his starting LT (quit) and starting C (injury).

Yeah, rotating more OL players in during games has to be a goal for better OL development and depth under Coach Flood. Hopefully with Sark's offense, TEXAS can get larger leads in games against weaker teams, and provide more playing time for our backups...

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

In the limited time we've seen Ghirmai get, has he been a disaster after the ball is snapped? The main issue with him is he's a center who's terrible at snapping the ball, which is a problem, but I don't have a good idea how much of a liability he's been on the few plays where the qb has gotten the ball normally. 

Shotgun snaps would seem to be one of the more teachable/improvable skills on the OL. 

3 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

In the limited time we've seen Ghirmai get, has he been a disaster after the ball is snapped? The main issue with him is he's a center who's terrible at snapping the ball, which is a problem, but I don't have a good idea how much of a liability he's been on the few plays where the qb has gotten the ball normally. 

Shotgun snaps would seem to be one of the more teachable/improvable skills on the OL. 

We’ve seen very little of him. Having said that, he’s been god awful in practice and games. His problems go way beyond just snapping the ball. Him seeing a single meaningful snap for us this year would probably be a bad sign. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Him seeing a single meaningful snap for us this year would probably be a bad sign. 

Yeah hopefully it won't come to that this season. The IT practice report mentioned that Parr has been splitting snaps with the 2s. Once the season starts Kerstetter will probably be the 1st backup at several spots, including center anyway. 

We should have enough versatile guys that will be cross trained that our 8th or 9th best lineman won't be needed much.  

• 2 weeks later...

Notes from IT on Kyle Flood's clinic

Spoiler

Flood was terrific and detailed as well. He was praising the state of Texas for its offensive linemen and talked about some of the Texans he was coaching at Alabama when they won the national championship.

He talked a bit about recruiting and what he looks for from his guys. Flood wants length but he uses arm measurements and not wingspan, "the defender is in front of you not to the side." He also noted one of their best lineman doesn't have good length (probably Karic). He wants 33-inch arms for tackles and 32 inches for guards and centers.

Flood also categorized players as fitting into one of a few types: guys who can only play tackle who have length and athleticism but lack power to move inside; guys who can play tackle or guard; guys who have the power to play inside at guard but not the length to play outside; guys who have the power to play guard and the quickness and flexibility to play center; and then guys who have the flexibility to play center but not enough power or length to play guard or tackle. You need a mixture of all of them, can't get too many who fit into one category or you'll get into trouble.

Flood's drill work was also extensive and showed improvement from Texas' different players over the course of spring. He mentioned an approach to blocking linebackers coming off a combo block he got from Dante Scarnecchia of the Patriots and showed Denzel Okafor executing a perfect rep in a drill designed to teach it. Christian Jones came up an awful lot, often for minor technical issues that Flood would later show as being either corrected or getting better. From the clips, I see why they like Jones; moves well, can bend, and is massive.

They're teaching these kids a ton, "the option is the only thing we don't do." Flood said they emphasize "this is the same as" a lot when teaching different schemes and situations so there's overlap and the players are able to absorb and master more information.

Flood seemed to genuinely feel they have a lot of promising athletes on the offensive line, they just need to whip some of their techniques into shape. It seems like they'll rely on the run game to help set up the offense and to help them out in pass protection.

• Hook 'Em 2