Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We're about two years away from having a truly good offensive line. But they've been good enough this year.

This. Cosmi is actually coming on sooner than I expected him to. If Reese Moore or Christian Jones show up early, look out.

On 10/5/2018 at 8:49 AM, Snacks said:

Why does everyone keep rating Vahe so low?

And why can nobody seem to replace him for 4 years? Even when he got benched as a SO, the replacement was worse.

because he sucks, and still can't recognize a simple blitz concept. With Hudson likely out for the season, there is literally no one else that has practiced at LG on the team that has taken a live snap.

because he sucks, and still can't recognize a simple blitz concept. With Hudson likely out for the season, there is literally no one else that has practiced at LG on the team that has taken a live snap.
So... nobody has practiced at the spot of a guy that sucks... for 4 years.

Got it.

And I agree that his recognition skills are below avg and I think he has slow feet... but he's a + OL almost every game.
  • Like 2

I like how energetic he is, too. He's the heart of the OL, and maybe even the entire offense. I love seeing him celebrating and often being the first to congratulate the touchdown guy. He's the third most-talented guy on the OL, and granted, you would want a 4-year starter to be the most, but I'd rather see him there right now than Kerstetter, Imade, or Hudson. 

10 minutes ago, Snacks said:

So... nobody has practiced at the spot of a guy that sucks... for 4 years.

Got it.

And I agree that his recognition skills are below avg and I think he has slow feet... but he's a + OL almost every game.

I did like his effort on the screen pass, he was really moving looking for a Sooner to hit.

• Like 1

All of the improvement on offense is partially attributable to the improvement of the O-line.  Change out the play of this year's O-line with last year's and I don't think we have a winning record.

Strategically, this is where we turn the corner with the o-line.  They are getting good enough to where freshmen-with-potential are going to be able to sit and develop for a bit before being thrown into the fire.

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

All of the improvement on offense is partially attributable to the improvement of the O-line.  Change out the play of this year's O-line with last year's and I don't think we have a winning record.

Strategically, this is where we turn the corner with the o-line.  They are getting good enough to where freshmen-with-potential are going to be able to sit and develop for a bit before being thrown into the fire.

100% this.  Instead of immediately trying to evade pass rush Sams going through his progressions and making smart reads 

On 10/5/2018 at 8:49 AM, Snacks said:

And why can nobody seem to replace him for 4 years? Even when he got benched as a SO, the replacement was worse.

LG sees a lot of blitz pickups and he's not great at that.

6 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Yep. He was our dead last rated recruit his year for a reason. No idea why they trust him so much.
Anderson-Vahe-Rodriguez-Kerstetter-Cosmi is clearly our best five.

I wasn’t happy they started Shack, but he actually played pretty well. 

Edited by Schulz2.0

Vahe is a decent run blocker but isn't athletic enough to reliably get to the second level in a zone blocking scheme. In pass pro he is slow, so athletic guys can beat him without help, and even with four years of experience gets caught not paying attention/making mental errors, allowing blitzes to go untouched through the gap he is responsible for. I don't think he is terrible and he probably is the best we have at LG but he's a net neutral at best.

Did play pretty well yesterday, credit where it's due. He obviously wanted that win.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Vahe is a decent run blocker but isn't athletic enough to reliably get to the second level in a zone blocking scheme. In pass pro he is slow, so athletic guys can beat him without help, and even with four years of experience gets caught not paying attention/making mental errors, allowing blitzes to go untouched through the gap he is responsible for. I don't think he is terrible and he probably is the best we have at LG but he's a net neutral at best.

Did play pretty well yesterday, credit where it's due. He obviously wanted that win.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes. Agreed. Overall neutral. But grades at + most games.

He had several whiffs against ou. I thought this was one of his poorer games, but still positive overall.

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

Cosmi had two holds, Shack had one.

Cosmi has been a revelation this season, those penalties notwithstanding. I expect to see some All-Conference honors this season or next if he keeps it up.

Shackelford had two, Cosmi and Rodriguez each had one.

2 hours ago, Snacks said:

Yes. Agreed. Overall neutral. But grades at + most games.

He had several whiffs against ou. I thought this was one of his poorer games, but still positive overall.

He's not nearly as bad as Tristan Nickelson, or Shack last year, or Rodriguez at tackle last year, so our floor is definitely higher as an o-line, and that's important.

• Like 1

The biggest tribute to the OL play was the fact that OU couldn't stop that outside zone play to the boundary.  Not one time.  Even when they knew it was coming, even when they used goal line defensive packages they couldn't stop Ehlinger and often enough couldn't even touch him.  Beck (I think Brewer in one case) caving in the corner and cutting off the LBs pursuit angles was a thing of beauty.

One time OU tried hard.  The LB jumped outside to beat the TE and DL got penetration playside, either a 3-tech or DE.  Beck seals the LB outside and Sam calmly cuts it back to the A gap, strolling into the end zone.  OU did much the same on the prior play 1st and goal and Sam picks up 6 yards.

• Like 3

Shack's holding at the end of the game left we with a question.

We were trying to kill the clock, which had like 5 minutes still left. We had four downs to play with, so we could kill a little over 2 minutes just standing there if we did nothing.

We ran a play. We gained yards. Shack held. OU accepted the penalty. We moved back, but the down stayed the same (duh!) and the clock kept running!

What would prevent us from gaining yards over and over by having our OL deliberately hold their opponent, probably getting a penalty, but always keeping the clock running against the 25 second play clock until the game was killed off?

This is obviously very unsporting behavior, but it would put the defensive coaches in a position of either accepting the penalty and keeping the clock running, or declining the penalty and accepting whatever gain the RB managed to generate from a blatantly holding OL.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 5:39 PM, Bevo VIII said:

Just goes to show you how shitty Warehime truly was.

Anderson wasn’t here yet, cosmi was red shirting, Rodriguez was hurt and not playing, shack was hurt and trying to play, kerstetter was a true freshman.

Warehime had guys like cuney and Nicholson playing, and had to try a kid at left tackle that can’t get in the lineup anywhere this year, or badly needed a redshirt in his second year in okafor. 

I don’t want to be misconstrued as defending warehime, but there’s an obvious talent improvement across the line between the new guys and health, that makes it apples to oranges this year to last. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Anderson wasn’t here yet, cosmi was red shirting, Rodriguez was hurt and not playing, shack was hurt and trying to play, kerstetter was a true freshman.

Warehime had guys like cuney and Nicholson playing, and had to try a kid at left tackle that can’t get in the lineup anywhere this year, or badly needed a redshirt in his second year in okafor. 

I don’t want to be misconstrued as defending warehime, but there’s an obvious talent improvement across the line between the new guys and health, that makes it apples to oranges this year to last. 

Meh.  This is all true.  But we were completely schematically incompetent last year.  We couldn't even get our assignments right.  Houston's offensive lines were huge disasters, too, and their offense was saved only by Greg Ward's ability to make off-schedule plays.

Warehime is a bad OL coach.

Meh.  This is all true.  But we were completely schematically incompetent last year.  We couldn't even get our assignments right.  Houston's offensive lines were huge disasters, too, and their offense was saved only by Greg Ward's ability to make off-schedule plays.
Warehime is a bad OL coach.
Houston also had no OL talent. They would have roofied an actual Cougar to have Shack and Vahe.

4 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

We were trying to kill the clock, which had like 5 minutes still left. We had four downs to play with, so we could kill a little over 2 minutes just standing there if we did nothing.

We ran a play. We gained yards. Shack held. OU accepted the penalty. We moved back, but the down stayed the same (duh!) and the clock kept running!

What would prevent us from gaining yards over and over by having our OL deliberately hold their opponent, probably getting a penalty, but always keeping the clock running against the 25 second play clock until the game was killed off?

This is obviously very unsporting behavior, but it would put the defensive coaches in a position of either accepting the penalty and keeping the clock running, or declining the penalty and accepting whatever gain the RB managed to generate from a blatantly holding OL.

I noticed that windfall too. I don't remember ever really paying attention to the fact that the clock keeps running (until we really, really needed it to Saturday).

4 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

You are either playing Chess with us all or somehow related to Shack.

Maybe both.

Edited by ckhorn