Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

Indeed.  One of the less heralded but critical areas of improvement is pass pro.  So far this year the OL is giving up a sack about 4% of the time.  246 pass attempts plus however many drop backs turn in scrambles which have resulted in only 10 sacks.  And that's after facing K-State and TCU.  Last year Texas gave up 34 sacks on 499 pass attempts, a sack ratio of 7%.  Yes Sam is doing better throwing the ball away when there's nothing but we are also seeing more deep shots in the passing game.
They really are an upper tier, borderline elite unit in pass pro. The tackle play is just light years better. We still give up some interior pressure, especially on blitzes (I don't know why opposing defenses don't send guys in the A gaps more often), but we generally have numbers there so it isn't a big problem most of the time. They're not so bad as to get beat on a double team.

Sam also has developed exponentially better pocket presence, which helps, as does the fact that he is better about throwing the ball away outside the pocket, but it's very rare that he's running for his life as soon as he gets the ball, which was normal last year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Sam also has developed exponentially better pocket presence, which helps, as does the fact that he is better about throwing the ball away outside the pocket, but it's very rare that he's running for his life as soon as he gets the ball, which was normal last year.

Sam actually trusts his line enough to step up into the pocket instead of taking off at the first sign of pressure.  Anderson and Cosmi have been studs at OT. 

• Fuck You 1

Sam actually trusts his line enough to step up into the pocket instead of taking off at the first sign of pressure.  Anderson and Cosmi have been studs at OT. 

Yeah, he’s reset the clock in his head. If Shane gets to that point, it should make the next game he plays in less painful.

4 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah, he’s reset the clock in his head. If Shane gets to that point, it should make the next game he plays in less painful.

Exactly.  The one sack he took against Baylor was because he bailed out of the pocket straight backwards while he still had protection.

Yep. Hope the focus on O line and D line from Herman helps recruit some great guys for him to coach up as well.

Yep Herman has two more stud OL recruits coming in next year. You have to win the trenches on both sides of the line to be elite. I find it unbelievable that it has taken a decade to realize you have to have a good OL to have a good offense. Especially running the kind of offense we run now.

The only way you can get away with an average OL is on a tech air raid system where the QB gets rid of the ball in 1.75 seconds. Anyone can get in the way for that long. And always passing opens up running lanes for the occasional run.

Agree that trenches are part of TEXAS moving into the Top 10 this year.

Still expecting at least 1-2 JUCO or Grad Transfer OK for 2019 Season.  Better happen cause we play LAU early in 2019

Vandy Grad Transfer OLCandidate

https://twitter.com/pfeifdaddy57?lang=en

Honors:  2016 First Team SEC All-Freshman OL, Athlon Sports

2017:  Pfiefer played in 10 games, contributing at offensive guard and on special team conversion units... Earned starts at left guard in early-season victories over Middle Tennessee, Alabama A&M and Kansas State and kept the assignment for the next two games... Injuries limited his participation late in the season.

2016:  Pfeifer took over for Delando Crooks at left guard early in the season and never relinquished his position... Redshirt freshman showed improvement with each game, playing most of the team's critical snaps over the last nine games... By the end of the season, Pfeifer and the line played a huge role in running Ralph Webb becoming the team's all-time leading rusher and sophomore Kyle Shurmur producing one of the finest seasons ever by a Commodore quarterback... Earned Freshman All-SEC honors from Athlon Sports... Pfeifer and the line helped the Commodore offense improved in nearly every stat category from 2015, including points scored, first downs, total yards and red-zone efficiency where the unit produced points on 43 of 46 possessions inside the 20-yard line.

Edited by LTtxfan

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2018 at 9:46 AM, Mileslong said:

Yep Herman has two more stud OL recruits coming in next year. You have to win the trenches on both sides of the line to be elite. I find it unbelievable that it has taken a decade to realize you have to have a good OL to have a good offense. 

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I knew our O-Line was hot garbage back in 2009 and I don't know shit about football.

3 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Not sure if Ingram got better as the game went on or the oline just tired out the tech dline but I for one like how ingram was busting runs late before he got hurt.  

Yes the OL wore out the Tech DL in the 3Q, when Tech ran like 8 offensive plays. The interior still lacks consistency.

• 2 weeks later...

The OL's pass pro pretty much neutralized ISU's favored tactic of rushing 3 and dropping 8 in coverage.  If they can force the ball out in 2-3 secs, the 2nd level defenders are going to drop 5-7 yds off the LOS.  At 4-6 secs into the play that drop goes 10 yards deep and the check downs are going to be very productive.  Look at how many times check down to the RBs went for 5+ yds.

ISU's lack of pressure in 3 man rushes alternated with blitzing which was sometimes effective but gave up big plays.  Little swing pass to Ingram in the flat turns into a 20 yd TD.  Zero yd crossing route to LJ converts 3rd and long when the Cyclones bring 6.  The pass protection has been notably good during Sam's run of protecting the ball.

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We live in a world where our entire O-line received votes for Big 12 honors yet LJH is honorable mention and CJ receives no honors.

That's more of a comment on the absurd depth at WR in this conference than an indictment of CJ or LJH.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

Machinator, that is really more of a comment on the competition from other Big XII WRs and lack of same at OL than a judgement on the relative value of those players' contribution at Texas.

edit: Mitch took half the words right out of my mouth.  lol

Edited by sushihorn

Just now, sushihorn said:

Machinator, that is really more of a comment on the competition from other Big XII WRs and lack of same at OL than a judgement on the relative value of those players' contribution at Texas.

Maybe I was rash in saying that about the WRs, but this is as much about the amazing turnaround by our offensive line that even our relatively weak links are getting votes. If you had asked me I would not have said that Vahe or Rodriguez were among the top 10 OL in the conference this season.

On 11/28/2018 at 10:05 PM, futureman said:

the OL and keontay ingram are going to salt away the game from the first snap.  we need to run ingram, sam, and watson all day.  fuck OU with a blunt spoon.  we are going to win. 

The Okie defense was gassed by Texas' 3rd drive in the early 2nd quarter.  The big boys need to put the hurt on those Sooners from the opening snap.

• 3 weeks later...

How are we feeling about the future with two signees and one maybe along the OL in this class? I know amazing linemen don't grow on trees and you've got to take the best of what you can get when you can get it, but man I want to see us get to where we can dominate at the LOS every week. A couple of those drives against ISU were among my favorite moments of the season just because I was so hype about the physical dominance being displayed. After all the worry about facing one of the best defenses we were going to see during the regular season, we were able (at key times) to just straight up shove them all the way down the field. So good.

2 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

How are we feeling about the future with two signees and one maybe along the OL in this class? I know amazing linemen don't grow on trees and you've got to take the best of what you can get when you can get it, but man I want to see us get to where we can dominate at the LOS every week. A couple of those drives against ISU were among my favorite moments of the season just because I was so hype about the physical dominance being displayed. After all the worry about facing one of the best defenses we were going to see during the regular season, we were able (at key times) to just straight up shove them all the way down the field. So good.

Let's see what we have in February and maybe later than that, depending on grad transfers.

Class is still definitely incomplete. I don't put too much stock in recruiting rankings for OL because it's the hardest positron to eval, but I do like the look of Johnson and Hoofkin. Both move really well for their size and definitely have the athleticism and talent to shine if they take to choaching and put in the work. We're pretty thin in terms of numbers on the interior, even if you count Hudson, who we should probably assme will never play at this point, so it will be interesting to see if one or both of them starts at guard.

Overall, I think the unit is still a year or two away from being really good, but it's pretty incredible for it to be where it is now compared to where it was a year ago.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We are better than last year but there are still issues. Shack got better as the season went along so that was promising. We are fucked if he goes down. Missing on Bragg really hurt. Need a JUCO Center. 

Vahe graduating should be addition by subtraction. He had some good games and many great plays, and I love him for playing at Texas all 4 years, but too many times he got torched in pass protection or missed a run block. *hopefully* we can plug in someone that is more assignment sound. 

Next year our line should be better with Cosmi, Kerstetter, Anguilar, Ghrimai, Shackelford, Hudson (maybe), Tope Imade, Christian Jones, Okafor, Reese Moore. 

Hookfin and Johnson will redshirt. 

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Brock Sampson said:

I think the ball is a distraction technique to keep him focused on not losing sight of where the other player is stepping while still catching the ball at the same time. 

Blending foot and hand movements for quick reaction to a speed rusher.  Put the hands out but move the feet also to maintain position between the rusher and the QB.