One man cement siding installation tool EUREKA !!!!

This could be an old device, but I just stumbled on it this week. I'm replacing the failing masonite siding around the house as we get it ready to sell, down size, and get the fuck out of suburban land, and back to a city neighborhood. 

Gecko-Gauge cement siding installation clamps.  2 Adjustable clamping devices that allow one man to easily install 12' lengths of cement siding with complete accuracy.

You can set the siding show/reveal in 1/4" increments. Each clamp slips under the bottom edge of the siding board. A lever is pulled upward that creates a clamping action against the siding, firmly holding it in place.

You drop the next siding board into the top of each of the 2 clamps, and it's held in place, at the exact desired show each and every time, for hands free nail gunning.   Has made installing siding when I don't have a helper easy as shit.

These types of gadgets don't work as advertised 9 X out of 10. This one works as advertised.

shopping.jpeg

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

I love these!  Glad you put them out here!  I use a guage to be consistent but I can see how they would work especially well higher up with the smaller angle cut pieces going towards the peaks.  Can you vary the board thickness or is that fixed to accomodate most cement boards.  I wonder if I could modify or hillbilly engineer some for cedar plank siding?

31 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I love these!  Glad you put them out here!  I use a guage to be consistent but I can see how they would work especially well higher up with the smaller angle cut pieces going towards the peaks.  Can you vary the board thickness or is that fixed to accomodate most cement boards.  I wonder if I could modify or hillbilly engineer some for cedar plank siding?

There's a max thickness that will fit in the unclamped position.  It fits pretty tightly over masonite before clamping, which is a bit thicker than cement siding (3/8" or so). If there isn't one already, they should develop one for wood siding. I don't know when weight starts to be a factor, but it holds 12' lengths of Hardi plank with no issues.

It's really a time saver, and you don't need to pay for an extra set of hands.  2 guys woking together, one cutting, and the other nailing could rock and roll in a day.   I'm working in the shade today, thermometer in the house reads 107, but its probably more like 99-100.  Lots of friggin' water breaks.

18 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

There's a max thickness that will fit in the unclamped position.  It fits pretty tightly over masonite before clamping, which is a bit thicker than cement siding (3/8" or so). If there isn't one already, they should develop one for wood siding. I don't know when weight starts to be a factor, but it holds 12' lengths of Hardi plank with no issues.

It's really a time saver, and you don't need to pay for an extra set of hands.  2 guys woking together, one cutting, and the other nailing could rock and roll in a day.   I'm working in the shade today, thermometer in the house reads 107, but its probably more like 99-100.  Lots of friggin' water breaks.

Masonite?  Really?  

Shame. 

29 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Masonite?  Really?  

Shame. 

Yeah it was used everywhere around here up until the early 90's. We inherited it when we bought the house.

Some areas have held up well, but bases of walls, around windows and doors and places where the nail heads broke the surface of the siding or got behind the laps. 

I've been replacing it a wall at a time the last two or three years .  These gecko clamps are friggin the bomb.

19 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Can't be more'n a hundred & fourteen.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 11:31 AM, horn4life said:

Can you vary the board thickness or is that fixed to accomodate most cement boards.  I wonder if I could modify or hillbilly engineer some for cedar plank siding?

They are sold in 3 thicknesses:  5/16, 3/8 & 7/16.

Amazon has them starting @ $ 55+ & Home Depot only does ship to store for $ 63 & up.

https://smile.amazon.com/PacTool-International-SA90338-Siding-Installation/dp/B00E3ATUF4/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_3905707922?_encoding=UTF8&hvadid=309811990469&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028302&hvnetw=g&hvpone=&hvpos=1o1&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvrand=5778840194237081918&hvtargid=pla-365069365133&ie=UTF8&linkCode=df0&psc=1&tag=hyprod-20

Edited by ROFL BOX
  • Like 1