If you were a coach, what's one thing...

Augustus

That you would emphasize with your players to the point of threatening castration if they failed to obey?

There are a bunch of options, but my number one:

Lowering a shoulder and attempting to knock a guy down instead of wrapping him up.

This is something so fundamental to the game that it ought be burned in the brains of football players before they reach high school. But tune into almost any game, and you'll see a guy missing a tackle because he went for the knockdown instead of the takedown.

I don't understand it, I'll never understand it and despite seeing it for so many years without end, it still somehow surprises me.

Anyway, I'm curious what other fans get frustrated by when it comes to easily correctable, stupid mistakes players regularly make that there's no excuse for.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Lining up offsides would probably be second on my list.

This and illegal formation.  If you can't figure out where to stand before the snap, why in the hell should I trust that you're going to know what to do after the ball is snapped?

32 minutes ago, FlaBuff said:

John Heisman May have been a bit harsh, but he was serious about his ball security.

Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football.

John Heisman

That's almost as good as the Lou Holtz quote from that same site:

Zu awent goween to phhind anybotty thhats goween to be sssusssesssfoo wifou makeen a thackrifithe and wiffou pertheveranth.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FlaBuff said:

John Heisman May have been a bit harsh, but he was serious about his ball security.

Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football.

John Heisman

This. Hasn’t it been statistically proven that the team that hasn’t less turnovers wins more? Or I making that up?

Thought that was why Herman won’t play anyone who turns it over

If I have a kicker that I’m not 100% confident will make any kick within 50 yards, I’m going for 2 the vast majority of the time, and I’m going for it on just about every 4th down from my 45 yard line and on (as long as it’s 4th and 8 or less). Also, I’m going for every 4th and 2 or less as long as my punter isn’t standing in the end zone. Even if I’m on my own 20 yard line. If we can’t come up with a route to get 2 yards just about every time, then wtf are we doing? There are the obvious scenarios where I’m going to send my kicker or punter out there depending on the score and the time of the game, but kickers are so fucking fickle that I’m trusting my qb and skill guys to make a play before I trust a soccer player to decide games for me. If I lose, it’s not going to be because my kicker went 2-4 on fgs, or because of a missed XP fucking up the math. The analytics show that these are the right decisions, but only a few teams actually do it. 

Another one to kind of piggy back off of that if that’s a little too extreme, one that I will never understand is why coaches don’t go for 2 late in games when a successful 2pt conversion will give them a 9 point lead. The risk/reward favors the reward so heavily that it doesn’t make any sense to me. If you get stopped, you have a 7 point lead. If you’re successful, the game is basically over because it’s a 2 score game. Players have done this in madden since the beginning of time and it works out most of the time, even if you don’t get it. 

• Like 4

One thing that I have noticed just over the past few years, is that when the offense is in a hurry-up and they hurry to the line and then stop what they are doing, and it seems over half the team looks at the coaches, thus killing all momentum.  This is on the coaches, not the players.  I would threaten my OC's life with this: don't ever do that hurry up and stop stuff.  Either keep hurrying up all of the time, or go into a huddle and that way the defense will not know what formation you are in.  

Only other thing that gets me is from forever ago.  Coming out of a time out and having a delay of game penalty.  Used to happen a generation or more ago. Think Fred Akers. 

11 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

One thing that I have noticed just over the past few years, is that when the offense is in a hurry-up and they hurry to the line and then stop what they are doing, and it seems over half the team looks at the coaches, thus killing all momentum.  This is on the coaches, not the players.  I would threaten my OC's life with this: don't ever do that hurry up and stop stuff.  Either keep hurrying up all of the time, or go into a huddle and that way the defense will not know what formation you are in.  

Only other thing that gets me is from forever ago.  Coming out of a time out and having a delay of game penalty.  Used to happen a generation or more ago. Think Fred Akers. 

It happened to us multiple times last year, but IMO, that’s as much on the coaches as the players.  The delay of game thing.

Edited by conVINCEd
Formatting

45 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

When they do that, the coaches are looking to see how the defense is lined up and what personnel, and then adjusting the play call based on it.  It also forces the defense to commit to a personnel set.  Once the offense is lined up, they can't make a personnel change.

But there are times, yeah, when it's incompetence.  I just think it's a small minority of the time.

19 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

When they do that, the coaches are looking to see how the defense is lined up and what personnel, and then adjusting the play call based on it.  It also forces the defense to commit to a personnel set.  Once the offense is lined up, they can't make a personnel change.

But there are times, yeah, when it's incompetence.  I just think it's a small minority of the time.

100% this. Your making it really tough for the defense to sub anyone in and out by creating the illusion that you’re going to run a play right away. They don’t really want to “hurry up” at all. Plus it leaves the defense in a weird spot where they have to call a play on the fly. It’s a lot easier to hurry on offense than it is on defense in terms of getting everyone on the same page. I’d actually prefer if we ran our offense like this all the time. I want to dictate when you’re subbing your guys in and out on defense.

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

100% this. Your making it really tough for the defense to sub anyone in and out by creating the illusion that you’re going to run a play right away. They don’t really want to “hurry up” at all. Plus it leaves the defense in a weird spot where they have to call a play on the fly. It’s a lot easier to hurry on offense than it is on defense in terms of getting everyone on the same page. I’d actually prefer if we ran our offense like this all the time. I want to dictate when you’re subbing your guys in and out on defense.

Yea the only time it ever drives me nuts is when the defense is in complete disarray (think 3 WRs to one side and one DB covering that whole side of the field with others running all around to scramble into position).  A lot of times the team is so used to doing what is described above they don't take advantage of those moments (often you will see the QB is looking the other way etc and doesn't even see the opportunity). I know a HS team in the area who when they are in hurry up has their WRs yell a series of random words on every play, there is one word that is the hot word which basically means "hey QB you didn't see it yet but we have fucking chaos over here on our side of the field let's fucking go" it draws the QB attention to immediately call for the ball and look their way.  They then have prescribed pattern they run.  

14 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yea the only time it ever drives me nuts is when the defense is in complete disarray (think 3 WRs to one side and one DB covering that whole side of the field with others running all around to scramble into position).  A lot of times the team is so used to doing what is described above they don't take advantage of those moments (often you will see the QB is looking the other way etc and doesn't even see the opportunity). I know a HS team in the area who when they are in hurry up has their WRs yell a series of random words on every play, there is one word that is the hot word which basically means "hey QB you didn't see it yet but we have fucking chaos over here on our side of the field let's fucking go" it draws the QB attention to immediately call for the ball and look their way.  They then have prescribed pattern they run.  

I agree 100% in this scenario.

On the other hand, I hate it when an offense hauls ass to the LOS to try to get the jump on the defense in a 3rd- or 4th-and-1 or less situation.

The goal obviously is to get the ball snapped and sneak forward for the first down before the defense is set and ready to defend.

But I swear I've seen that attempt get stuffed far more than I've seen it succeed.  Being quick is always good.  Being in a hurry is a recipe for a fuckup.