If you were a coach, what's one thing...

Augustus

Another one that drives me fucking insane is when a wr runs a half assed route because they aren’t expecting to get the ball (maybe they’re the 3rd or 4th option), but the coverage says that’s where the ball should go. 9 times out of 10 this leads to either an INT, or a throw that makes everyone think to themselves “wtf was our qb thinking”. 

If this ever happened to a team I was coaching, that player won’t play for the rest of the game assuming I have other options. And on Monday, we’re going to make him watch that play over and over again with all his teammates in the room so they know that our qb threw an interception because our bone headed wr fucked up. Running the wrong route happens from time to time. That’s acceptable. It sucks, but it happens. But the “well I’m not getting the ball so who cares” route drives me insane. It’s like, bro, maybe this is part of the reason you’re the 4th option.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

39 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Intercepting a deep pass on 4th down instead of knocking it down.

I agree with you from a team standpoint, but when contract negotiations come around, another INT is going to look a lot better than a PBU. It’s selfish, but I get it. Nobody is going to talk about when that INT took place in the game at the end of the year. I’m not saying that’s why they’re doing it, but takeaways matter for DBs in contract negotiations.

Now if were talking college or high school, no excuse. You have to have more awareness than that...Blake Gideon. 

Tackling with your head down, eyes on the ground, and making contact with the top of your helmet would be an immediate self-ejection from the game if I were a coach and saw it.

1. You are more likely to miss the tackle.
2. You are way more likely to break your neck.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:36 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

100% this. Your making it really tough for the defense to sub anyone in and out by creating the illusion that you’re going to run a play right away. They don’t really want to “hurry up” at all. Plus it leaves the defense in a weird spot where they have to call a play on the fly. It’s a lot easier to hurry on offense than it is on defense in terms of getting everyone on the same page. I’d actually prefer if we ran our offense like this all the time. I want to dictate when you’re subbing your guys in and out on defense.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:09 PM, TrashMaster G said:

When they do that, the coaches are looking to see how the defense is lined up and what personnel, and then adjusting the play call based on it.  It also forces the defense to commit to a personnel set.  Once the offense is lined up, they can't make a personnel change.

But there are times, yeah, when it's incompetence.  I just think it's a small minority of the time.

Two wonderful responses.

Yes, it's not always about snapping the ball in 10 seconds or less. That's what drove me nuts about ESPN during those years when Oregon had really good teams (2010-2014). They always wanted to have that shot clock graphic at the bottom to show how fast they were snapping the ball. Yeah, well sometimes that's not the point. The only constant point in all that chaos is to force the defense to scramble around, denied a substitution, denied the ability to disguise coverage, denied the ability of the DC to scramble through different plays to call, and yeah in the rare occasion of a WR being uncovered, denied the ability to stop an easy TD. 

High and tight!

Under non-extreme circumstances, there is NO EXCUSE for not carrying a football properly with one hand over the end, pressed high against the chest and tight within the forearm. Any defender trying to tackle you will choose between securing your body at the waist or ripping at the ball - thus missing the tackle entirely. Upon threat of contact, the off hand goes over the top. If you feel the ball shift, go down immediately!

We can always run the next play - provided we maintain possession on THIS play!

Yes, there are circumstances. 4th and <whatever> where reaching the ball out to break the plane or gain the 1st down are critical. In that case, you risk it obviously. However, outside of those special circumstances, all players on both offense and defense should know how, train, and be expected to carry the ball properly and securely.

High and tight!
Under non-extreme circumstances, there is NO EXCUSE for not carrying a football properly with one hand over the end, pressed high against the chest and tight within the forearm. Any defender trying to tackle you will choose between securing your body at the waist or ripping at the ball - thus missing the tackle entirely.

Derrick Johnson would like to have a word with you.

My players would never, ever, ever complain to a referee. They will never change the call, ever. Plus, it's my fucking job to bark at the refs if they are fucking us. You get on with the fucking game. Double castration if the penalty you were called for was obvious or even close. There are a dozen cameras on you capable of slow motion, moron. Same goes for flopping in basketball. Triple castration for that shit.

Edited by 'stache

48 minutes ago, 'stache said:

My players would never, ever, ever complain to a referee. They will never change the call, ever. Plus, it's my fucking job to bark at the refs if they are fucking us. You get on with the fucking game. Double castration if the penalty you were called for was obvious or even close. There are a dozen cameras on you capable of slow motion, moron. Same goes for flopping in basketball. Triple castration for that shit.

Talking to the ref is an important part of pretty much every sport. Being disrespectful isn’t ok but asking for explanations on calls or pointing out stuff they’re missing is part of the game. It can maybe payoff on a later call.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 1:45 PM, Augustus said:

Intercepting a deep pass on 4th down instead of knocking it down.

Gideon easily gave up over 20 yards of field position doing this when he picked off the Bama punter in the beginning of the 2010 title game. “Coach on the field” my ass. /rant

There are a lot of penalties/mistakes I find ridiculous and infuriating, but I think the only one I'd put into the "absolutely 0 tolerance, unacceptable" category is a player (on a team that's losing by less than 9 points) getting tackled with the ball in their hands to end the game. To me, there is nothing more simple than knowing "If I get tackled with this ball in my hand, the game is over and we lose", so any player who can't process that thought doesn't belong on a football field past the age of like 8.  

11 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Derrick Johnson would like to have a word with you.

Precisely!

If you're talking about the massive OU punch on Jason White, the OU QB had the ball palmed in one hand, wagging it around like a loaf of bread. Derrick hooks his waist with one arm, then throws a right uppercut at the ball, obviously punching it free! A brilliant power move by a dominant LB!

If Jason had secured the ball against his body high on his chest, Derrick would have only made a devastating hit to bring up 4th down - preserving the ability to punt. Instead, it set Texas up with a short field.

12 hours ago, 'stache said:

You know... you're not wrong, but when the players bitch at the refs, it does impact the crowd a bit. I know that logical or no, when I think we get a bad call, I somehow feel better when it looks like it bothers the players. 

13 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

You know... you're not wrong, but when the players bitch at the refs, it does impact the crowd a bit. I know that logical or no, when I think we get a bad call, I somehow feel better when it looks like it bothers the players. 

Maybe, but most of the time and what bothers me is when they go to the ref with their hands out like "what I do?" and not getting back to the line for the next play, especially since most of the time it also was an obvious or at least close call.

As for firing up the crowd, it's much more effective when the coach does it. Some of my best basketball memories are when Eddie Sutton would lay into a ref and the crowd started the "Eddie Eddie Eddie" chant. A few times Gundy has gone on the field like a man on fire yelling at the refs for some obvious bad calls and it fires up the crowd. A dumbass wide receiver who was barely touched and drops a pass complaining to a ref does the opposite, just makes me ragey against my own player.

Edited by 'stache

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Maybe, but most of the time and what bothers me is when they go to the ref with their hands out like "what I do?" and not getting back to the line for the next play, especially since most of the time it also was an obvious or at least close call.

As for firing up the crowd, it's much more effective when the coach does it. Some of my best basketball memories are when Eddie Sutton would lay into a ref and the crowd started the "Eddie Eddie Eddie" chant. A few times Gundy has gone on the field like a man on fire yelling at the refs for some obvious bad calls and it fires up the crowd. A dumbass wide receiver who was barely touched and drops a pass complaining to a ref does the opposite, just makes me ragey against my own player.

Agreed. I think this is contextual, I'm certainly not talking about your scenario there where there's no question about the call, and it can't be allowed to affect readiness for the next play.

I've just seen too many Texas players the past 30 years look disinterested in stuff I think they should take an active interest in, whether it's horseshit calls or their QB getting messed with or in Kris Boyd's case, receivers running by him. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent