The new C8 Corvette

Parliament

Love the idea of mid engine.  Lookswise, it looks fantastic from the front, so-so from the back.  But if I was a vette dude and had the money to spend, I'd skip it because I want three pedals.  I know it's the supposed way of things.  But as long as other manufacturers are building real manual transmissions, I'll spend my money there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dcbc said:

Love the idea of mid engine.  Lookswise, it looks fantastic from the front, so-so from the back.  But if I was a vette dude and had the money to spend, I'd skip it because I want three pedals.  I know it's the supposed way of things.  But as long as other manufacturers are building real manual transmissions, I'll spend my money there.

Vettes rear ends have sucked for a while now IMO.  They look like some kind of kit car.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, we've got ourselves a classic Italian American sportscar here. NTTAWWT. If anybody wants to give one away to get an honest review of whether it sucks or not I could probably manage the embarrassment of driving one around.

Still the most speed for the dollar on the planet isn't it ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, we've got ourselves a classic Italian American sportscar here. NTTAWWT. If anybody wants to give one away to get an honest review of whether it sucks or not I could probably manage the embarrassment of driving one around.

63759082-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

32 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Well, if keeping your mom from getting wet is your goal then get a Corvette.

Nah, I'd be going for a new Mustang anyway. Best new American car design in the last 10 years IMO.  

Mom rides around in 50 ford, a 39 Ford roadster and a 49 Mercury with suicide doors. She ridin' old school cool.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nah, I'd be going for a new Mustang anyway. Best new American car design in the last 10 years IMO.  

Mom rides around in 50 ford, a 39 Ford roadster and a 49 Mercury with suicide doors. She ridin' old school cool.

I'm flattered that you think I'm old school cool, but I'm only 33.

On 7/22/2019 at 12:26 AM, GringoSalado said:

Looks like a Ferrari. NTTAWTT

On 7/22/2019 at 6:49 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

It seems that nowadays, every fucking car is moving that way.  Even the 4 cylinder putt-putts without turbo this or that.  Hell even SUV's.

I mean it's better than say the 1975 Pacer, but it's getting a little ridiculous.  

16 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

It seems that nowadays, every fucking car is moving that way.  Even the 4 cylinder putt-putts without turbo this or that.  Hell even SUV's.

I mean it's better than say the 1975 Pacer, but it's getting a little ridiculous.  

You go to hell sir, the '75 Pacer is a god damned Icon of America car design !!!

On 7/20/2019 at 4:18 PM, Parliament said:

I'm totally fine with a mid-engine Vette, so long as it has a SBC. Musta been some engineering magic getting that monster to stay cool.

And a twin-clutch transmission. This car is gonna be a winner (and very expensive.)

https://jalopnik.com/heres-a-detailed-look-at-the-2020-corvette-c8s-impressi-1836540969

Chevy can't properly cool the front engine Corvettes.  You think this one will be any different?

38 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Chevy can't properly cool the front engine Corvettes.  You think this one will be any different?

You have to wonder since the Z package mentioned includes a third radiator despite the motor only making a few more hp reportedly due to an upgraded exhaust (typically if an exhaust adds 10 hp it is taking more heat away? I'm not Italian).

The C7 was a beautiful machine, and they managed to carry that look over to the mid-engine design.

Regarding the ZR1 having trouble with heat, they had similar trouble with the high-end Camaro of older gen, and I think they fixed it (with like 7 radiators. But still). I have confidence in this one.

Just wait until it gets the LT5 and wider meats.

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Rear end looks like a damned Camero and have for a while

I can't believe that's the best their designers could come up with.  Look at the new Mustang.  I don't think there's a better American car design out there right now, of course I'm a bit biased, but for so long that car was shit, and the cues they've taken from the 60's cars have breathed new life in to an American classic.

Why doesn't Chevy look to those great designs for cues to a new body instead of the proto Japanese spaceship design trend they've latched on to.  

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I can't believe that's the best their designers could come up with.  Look at the new Mustang.  I don't think there's a better American car design out there right now, of course I'm a bit biased, but for so long that car was shit, and the cues they've taken from the 60's cars have breathed new life in to an American classic.

Why doesn't Chevy look to those great designs for cues to a new body instead of the proto Japanese spaceship design trend they've latched on to.  

Absolutely agree.  From the C5 like I've got, they started going downhill after that imo.

They started getting "stubby" looking, and then did away with the oval tail lights.  It just seemed to somehow lose its overall sleekness a little more every year.

Am tempted to try the new one though... after a thorough looking over in person.

2 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Absolutely agree.  From the C5 like I've got, they started going downhill after that imo.

They started getting "stubby" looking, and then did away with the oval tail lights.  It just seemed to somehow lose its overall sleekness a little more every year.

Am tempted to try the new one though... after a thorough looking over in person.

Yeah they're still a marvel as a piece of machinery for the dollars. Some designers want to wash away yesterday, and impart their own unique stamp on something. I see it in architecture all the time. Instead of building on what was there, they ignore, and let their personal vanity get in the way.

I liked the C5 years, they still said I'm a fucking Corvette bitches !!!  and I liked the rear end, clean, spare, but well proportioned.

53 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I see it in architecture all the time. Instead of building on what was there, they ignore, and let their personal vanity get in the way.

I liked the C5 years, they still said I'm a fucking Corvette bitches !!!  and I liked the rear end, clean, spare, but well proportioned.

Your statement about architecture is something that has driven me insane for decades. while I realize some old classic buildings cannot be salvaged I've seen so many beautiful old buildings in perfectly good shape demolished to put up some new ugly crap. I remember as a kid in Pleasanton Texas there was an old four-story motel called the McCaleb hotel that was demolished to put in a damned Sonic.  it was one of the old school 1800's type building that during its heyday hadbeauty shops barber shops all that kinds of stuff in it and it should have been preserved as a historic landmark.

I'll end that rant.  I love my C5 and I think it's the C3's that I love a lot too. I know they are in the engineering marvel in one sense at least as far as the C5 is concerned is that it gets amazing gas mileage when driving conservatively it will flat scorch the pavement when you get on it. The first time I drove mine was from San Antonio to junction and then cut off to go to EdenTexas and averaged 33 miles per gallon and thought the trip computer was wrong, until I pulled over in the evening filled up and calculated it for myself.  that being said I have headed up to 185 miles per hour also, of course I can't say much about the gas mileage at that speed. Needless to say that is the best car I've ever owned and definitely the best car for the money. It is a 2000 that I bought in 2002 and it only have 16000 miles on it and I paid right at 20 grand on it.  that's why it's really going to be hard to buy a brand new one because they are such an awesome deal if you can find a low mileage Vette that has been taken care of.

(Nope I did not finance it, wrote a check)

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...