How to claim diminished value after no-fault accident?

My wife's car was hit by my neighbor last week when he was backing out of his driveway.  He came over, admitted fault, gave me his insurance info, and called to initiate the claim.  I was able to get her car into the body shop a few days later and everything has gone smoothly so far, with his insurance covering everything.  The damage estimate is probably 30% of the car's trade-in value, so pretty significant but not in total loss territory.  Up until this point, the car has never been in an accident.  Now that it has been, I want to claim diminished value through his insurance.  What is the best tactic to go with?  Besides just asking for it, how do I go about putting a dollar value on it?  Will they generally approve up to a certain dollar amount, or will this be a fight?  He's with State Farm btw. 

If possible find 2 similar cars for sale, with one of them being involved in a previous accident.  That will tell you you the difference in value.  This task may not be worthwhile in putting too much effort in it.  Depends on the car make and model.

If you ask for $100 or 200, perhaps the insurance rep will just pay you to get rid of you quickly.  

7 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Diminished value on 7 year old car? Were you hoping to get $100 check ?

If you were poor like me and buying a 7 year old car, one having an accident history and one not, would you pay more for the one with the clean history?  So would I.  Whether it's $100 or $1, there is a diminished value now, thanks to my neighbor, so gimme my money!

• Like 1

If you were poor like me and buying a 7 year old car, one having an accident history and one not, would you pay more for the one with the clean history?  So would I.  Whether it's $100 or $1, there is a diminished value now, thanks to my neighbor, so gimme my money!

Fair enough I’m used to everyone here being rich and banging hot chicks