Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4: Tripping Balls (Spoilers)

atomheartbevo

I'm excited.  This is different, and it's good.  And they are giving us a What If...? series, hells yeah!

Most importantly: No X-Men, but adding Fantastic Four.  Yes, thank you very much.

Here's the lineup from Comic Con

No idea if Movie or TV Series

• Blade starring Mahershala Ali

Movies

• Black Widow - May, 2020
  • Eternals - November, 2020
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Feb, 2021
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - May, 2021 (teams up with Scarlet Witch, and it's a horror movie)
  • Thor: Love and Thunder - November, 2021 (Natalie Portman returning)
  • Fantastic Four - No release date
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 3 - No release date
  • Black Panther 2 - No release date
  • Captain Marvel 2 - No release date

Television (Disney+)

• The Falcon and the Winter Solder - August, 2020
  • WandaVision - Spring, 2021 (feeds into the Doctor Strange movie)
  • Loki - Spring, 2021
  • What If....? - Summer, 2021 (animated)
  • Hawkeye - Fall, 2021

Edited by atomheartbevo

The good news for Shang Chi is that the villain will be the real Mandarin. The bad news is that the leading lady for Shang Chi is....Awkwafina.

I would rather lick both of Brie Larson's armpits than watch Awkwafina in another movie.

9 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

How long can the morons keep supporting these Disney cash grabs? Is the stupidity so strong that this can go on another decade plus?

You shut your whore mouth.  If you went back to the kid version of me and said "hey atomheartkid, you're gonna get a big-budget What If....? tv series someday.  And a bunch of other shows and movies", I would have thought the future would be much cooler than it is.

I would not have believed you if you told me that a fourth big-budget Thor was in production.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Guardians 3 has to come before Thor 4 right?

Two movies next year, three in 2021.  Not sure how they could squeeze it in, because they won’t do 4 in a year, and for a next year release, they’d have to be well into production.   

Spoiler

Thor 4 may have Natalie Portman coming in as the female version of Thor, leaving Thor to run with the Guardians.

Edited by atomheartbevo

11 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Ali going to kill it as Blade. 

Time travel back to the late 90s: “Hey, they are working on a Blade project with a two-time Oscar winner in the 2020s.”  “Wesley Snipes won two Oscars?”  “Well no, Marvel can basically cast whoever they want.” “GTFO!”

8 hours ago, ajax said:

The good news for Shang Chi is that the villain will be the real Mandarin. The bad news is that the leading lady for Shang Chi is....Awkwafina.

I would rather lick both of Brie Larson's armpits than watch Awkwafina in another movie.

Is she the leading lady? I keep reading she’s been cast in an undetermined role but not the lead lady. 

11 hours ago, ajax said:

im going to be open minded here, she's a very underrated actress 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Love and thunder doesn’t seem like the right title to introduce beta ray bill, but here’s to hoping. Maybe it can happen in guardians 3. 

But if anyone can do Beta Ray Bill as weird as that character is, it’s Taika.

On 7/21/2019 at 1:32 AM, atomheartbevo said:

You shut your whore mouth.  If you went back to the kid version of me and said "hey atomheartkid, you're gonna get a big-budget What If....? tv series someday.  And a bunch of other shows and movies", I would have thought the future would be much cooler than it is.

I would not have believed you if you told me that a fourth big-budget Thor was in production.

I guess it means that I am old because my childhood self never heard of Shang Chi, What If?, or the Eternals.  Some of these are starting to seem more "fringe."

And not looking forward to Fantastic Four based on 3 bad attempts - including 2 tries where they somehow fucked up a movie with Jessica Alba in her prime in a skin-tight suit. 

Will Captain America get to be the torch again or are we just supposed to keep forgetting that ever happened?

This "phase" just seems directionless to me other than the sequels - lots of random one-off stuff.  Is there going to be a new over-arching big story, or is that idea done?  

• Like 1

No idea if Movie or TV Series

• Blade starring Mahershala Ali - ABSOLUTELY

Movies

• Black Widow - May, 2020 - If she returns from the dead, I might be out.
  • Eternals - November, 2020 - Intrigued
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Feb, 2021 - Eh, maybe
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - May, 2021 (teams up with Scarlet Witch, and it's a horror movie) - In
  • Thor: Love and Thunder - November, 2021 (Natalie Portman returning) - In
  • Fantastic Four - No release date - Cautiously Optimistic
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 3 - No release date - My favorite of the bunch, so I'll be first in line.
  • Black Panther 2 - No release date - I'll probably end up watching it on the Disney streaming service
  • Captain Marvel 2 - No release date - Haven't seen the first one yet.

Black Widow will take place after Civil War.    Not an origin story, just fleshing out her character in Budapest after CA: CW.

Guessing GOT3, BP2 and CM2 will be 2022 onwards. 

Dr. Strange movie sounds legit.  Probably the one I am most excited for.  If I had to rate my excitement:

• Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  • Thor: Love and Thunder
  • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  • Black Widow
  • Eternals
Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I guess it means that I am old because my childhood self never heard of Shang Chi, What If?, or the Eternals.  Some of these are starting to seem more "fringe."

And not looking forward to Fantastic Four based on 3 bad attempts - including 2 tries where they somehow fucked up a movie with Jessica Alba in her prime in a skin-tight suit. 

Will Captain America get to be the torch again or are we just supposed to keep forgetting that ever happened?

This "phase" just seems directionless to me other than the sequels - lots of random one-off stuff.  Is there going to be a new over-arching big story, or is that idea done?  

The cool part is they seem to be going the weird and obscure route like Guardians for Phase 4. I mean the Doctor Strange sequel is supposed to be the first Marvel horror movie. Please let it have Mephisto or Nightmare then. 

And What If? is seriously one of the best ideas they could thrown out on the Disney+ service. Alternate realities where heroes easily die, things go off the rails in horrific fashion. It's one of my favorite series growing up. 

And the Eternals is another weird choice that will be interesting to see but with that cast, it will hopefully be something very enjoyable. I mean Feige knows what he's doing. Trust the Feige. 

38 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I guess I would be worried that post-big story and 24 movies in, some fatigue would set in with moviegoers, and I would want to counter that with a bigger draw than Shang-Chi with Awkwafina.  

Shang-Chi is going to be huge.  Asian audiences are hungry for their own superhero.  The China numbers alone will be astronomical. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 12:41 AM, ajax said:

I don't understand this metaphor. Do you not want to lick her armpits?

51 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Shang-Chi is going to be huge.  Asian audiences are hungry for their own superhero.  The China numbers alone will be astronomical. 

Are they though? I feel like the Chinese will come out for any good movie and same for Asian Americans. Weren't there a couple of Asian X-men?

My kids are half Asian and while my son doesn't care for Marvel movies, my daughter is more interested in Spiderman and (unfortunately) Captain Marvel. An Asian character isn't going to change her allegiances. 

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

To be fair, not all Asian folks are Chinese.  And many non-Chinese Asians H.A.T.E China.  Do you think a Chinese superhero is popular in Japan?  Or Taiwan?

To be fair:

AVENGERS: ENDGAME

Foreign Total: $1,936,059,483
China: $614,316,021 (~32% of worldwide total)
Japan: $54,661,638 (~3%)
Taiwan: $29,339,734 (~1.5%)
South Korea: $105,172,204 (~5%)

I think Disney knows how to make money and who is going to show up to watch it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I guess I would be worried that post-big story and 24 movies in, some fatigue would set in with moviegoers, and I would want to counter that with a bigger draw than Shang-Chi with Awkwafina.  

The potential for fatigue setting in is partly why we are getting this next phase - look at the next 4 announced movies:

• A spy/espionage thriller
  • Space opera + mythology + LSD trip
  • Kung Fu/martial arts movie
  • Horror movie
  • No date was attached, but a vampire movie was also the biggest announcement out of this bunch

That's a pretty unique and diverse set of genres to kick off the next phase, for what is a comic book company.

I'm not including Thor, because there's no way of guessing which way that will go, and BP2, Guardians 3, and CM2 will probably continue what they started, or at least be the more "conventional" movies.  Fantastic Four is rumored to kick off Phase 5 (possibly the mutant phase), so not including that either.