ABIA Expansion Thread

Pasken

our non-convention center based convention business (if that makes sense) is the fastest growing of any city in the nation.  (yes, hard to believe other cities are also not using our convention center, but should understand what that sentence means).  The RevPAR at all of our Central/Domain hotels is off the charts.  Sure we lost some direct flights on Frontier because their operations team is grossly incompetent.  But think about how relatively small our MSA is compared to our peer group of airports and we're growing leaps and bounds.  Was speaking with an executive from Lynxs the other night (granted, after a lot of wine at a holiday party), the logistics side of the airport is about to take an interesting turn as well in the coming years.  But not just straight air cargo, rather a kind of on-site fulfillment logistics site. 

10 hours ago, futureman said:

impressive?  it’s gonna be either san antonio or abia.  and we won, I guess.  the city of san antonio is a lot bigger so I guess it’s kind of impressive.  maybe. 

Believe it or not the San Antonio metro is not much bigger than the Austin metro anymore.  SA is around 2.5 million while lil ole Austin is around 2.2 million.

And Austin has a larger economy, is wealthier, has a larger and busier airport with more destinations, is growing faster....

Not slamming SA, but some folks don't realize how much Austin's grown.  The last few decades have seen phenomenal growth in the greater Austin area.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Really?   Things seem to be getting cheaper and traffic/parking has become a breeze.  Where are you getting your info from?

Lulz.

Just saying it's seems to be common amongst people who don't keep up with such things to think of Austin as much smaller than it really is.  They think of it's peers such as San Antonio, or Indianapolis, or Kansas City, etc. as cities that are "much larger" than Austin cuz they all used to be...

^
Good point.  You can win a lot of bar bets by asking which city is bigger?  Austin or Kansas City?  Austin or Boston?  Austin or San Francisco?  Austin or Detroit?  Austin or Miami?  Invariably, the other person cries foul, stating that the 300-mile radius around that dying city does indeed contain more people than Austin does.  But what was the fucking point of the question, "Which city has more people?"  If you can't hold your liquor and pay attention to syntax, and you're from a shithole city that's dying in America...get the fuck out of my bar...you're making my patrons sad you illiterate piece of shit.  

On 12/6/2019 at 3:41 PM, Lobo said:

the 300-mile radius around that dying city does indeed contain more people than Austin does.  

I don't think you understand the issue. It's not just that there are a lot of bigger suburbs in other cities compared to Austin (there are). It's that Austin is geographically larger while other areas have multiple cities within the same area as the total size of Austin. For example, Seattle and Tacoma are right next to each other and have more people combined than Austin but are still only 2/3 the size of Austin when you combine them.  

On 12/6/2019 at 9:38 AM, Lobo said:

Was speaking with an executive from Lynxs the other night (granted, after a lot of wine at a holiday party), the logistics side of the airport is about to take an interesting turn as well in the coming years.  But not just straight air cargo, rather a kind of on-site fulfillment logistics site. 

I believe he is referring to this section of the airport which has already had a public request for interest for use.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-08-at-12-39-08-PM.jp

On 12/8/2019 at 12:40 PM, Pasken said:

I don't think you understand the issue. It's not just that there are a lot of bigger suburbs in other cities compared to Austin (there are). It's that Austin is geographically larger while other areas have multiple cities within the same area as the total size of Austin. For example, Seattle and Tacoma are right next to each other and have more people combined than Austin but are still only 2/3 the size of Austin when you combine them.  

I believe he is referring to this section of the airport which has already had a public request for interest for use.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-08-at-12-39-08-PM.jp

To illustrate the issue, the pink box represents the land area of Seattle compared to Austin (yellow). You would need to extend the box a little in your head to accommodate for lady bird lake and lake Austin. 

Basically, Austin's population related to other cities around the country is inflated because of the large amount of land it has annexed in relation to most other cities. That's why saying Austin isn't really the 11th largest city in a bar is not a dumb exercise in futility. 

Seattleto-Austin.jpg

Edited by Pasken

On April 7, the American Airlines will add new service between Austin (AUS) and Boston Logan (BOS), and resume service between Austin and San Jose, California (SJC), American said Tuesday. Both routes will operate twice daily on weekdays with Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

American will also add weekend service between Austin and Los Cabos (SJD) in Mexico on Saturdays and Sundays from May 9.

Nerd Bird sorties not going away.

as much as I dislike American, more service to Boston is great and their itineraries are good to boot. 

Edited by Lobo

I think the 81 v. 83 differential has to do with surface water acreage.  

But Yes, a big part of the reason Austin has so many people is because the footprint is so vast.  

In summer 2020, JetBlue will increase flights between Boston and Austin–Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) with up to three daily roundtrips. The added daily flight will offer travelers a new morning departure from the Texas capital to New England, as well as an evening return. Together, with the two additional daily trips, travelers will have more options than ever to choose from when flying between the Lone Star State and Boston.

Also,

Two Starbucks locations should be open by the end of the year at ABIA or early January at the latest. Starbucks signed a 10-year lease with the airport’s concessionaire partner HMS Host.

Here is a list of all the new stores opened as a part of the recent focus on local vendors. This is probably the best food court in town:

Fara Cafe & Bar (center of the terminal by the east entry)

Z Cafe (center of terminal)

Parkside (between gates 3 & 5) Cafe Medici (gate 9)
Vino Volo (gate 😎Jugo (gate 10)
Fig + Plum (gate 11)
Briggo Coffee (gate 12 & 17)

Hut’s Hamburgers (gate 14)

Ruta Maya Coffee (gate 14)
Second Bar + Kitchen (between gates 15 & 16)

Mad Greens (gate 16)
Juiceland (gate 16)
Peached Tortilla (gate 16)
Hippies & Hops (gate 17)
Departure Lounge (gate 17)
Berry Austin (gate 17)
Saxon Pub -Asleep at the Wheel Stage (gate 19)

Jo’s Coffee (gate 19)
Earl Campbell’s Taco Truck (gate 19)
Amy’s Ice Creams (gate 21)
Hat Creek Burger Co. (gate 21)
Flyrite Chicken Sandwiches (gate 21)
East Side Pies (gate 21)
Salt Lick BBQ (gate 21)
Vino Volo (gate 22)
High Brew Coffee Kiosk (gate 23 & baggage claim)

TacoDeli (gate 23)

Einstein Bros. Bagels and Caribou Coffee (gate 24)

Haymakers (gate 24)

Annie’s Cafe (gate 27)

Ruta Maya Cafe & ThunderCloud Subs (gate 28)

Vini Fresh Italian (gate 30)

Edited by Pasken

7 minutes ago, Pasken said:

In summer 2020, JetBlue will increase flights between Boston and Austin–Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) with up to three daily roundtrips. The added daily flight will offer travelers a new morning departure from the Texas capital to New England, as well as an evening return. Together, with the two additional daily trips, travelers will have more options than ever to choose from when flying between the Lone Star State and Boston.

Also,

Two Starbucks locations should be open by the end of the year at ABIA or early January at the latest. Starbucks signed a 10-year lease with the airport’s concessionaire partner HMS Host.

Here is a map/list of all the new joints opened as a part of the expansion. This is probably the best food court in town:

spacer.png

is hoover's no longer there?

In other news, I am heartbroken to report that AUS has seen the last of the Queen of the Skies.  BA will be switching BA190/191 to an A350-1000 on March 29.

This means no more First Class.  But it does also means four more Club World seats and a significantly better Club World hard product.

And, most interestingly for AUS, this is one of the first BA routes to be getting the A350-1000 (with the new Club World suites) along with BOS, IAD, and PHL (JFK has the new Club World product on a retrofitted 777).  So we are getting a better premium product before DFW or IAH, which is . . . surprising.

• Like 1

Top revenue flights from abia. Was surprised London was so high

1) Los Angeles International Airport: $58.5 million

Airlines serving the route: American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines and United Airlines

2) San Francisco International Airport: $56.8 million

Airlines serving the route: Alaska Airlines, Frontier Airlines and United Airlines

3) Denver International Airport: $53.9 million

Airlines serving the route: Frontier, Southwest, Spirit and United

4) Newark-Liberty International Airport: $53.5 million

Airlines serving the route: United and Southwest, although Southwest ended its Austin-Newark service in November. Spirit Airlines will begin operating flights to Newark in March

) New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport: $51.9 million

Airlines serving the route: American, Delta and JetBlue Airways

6) Chicago O'Hare International Airport: $42.4 million

Airlines serving the route: American, Frontier, Spirit and United

7) Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport: $41.3 million

Airlines serving the route: Delta, Frontier, Southwest and Spirit

8) London Heathrow Airport: $41.1 million

Airlines serving the route: British Airways

9) Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport: $40.7 million

Airlines serving the route: American and Southwest

10) Boston Logan International Airport: $38.9 million

Airlines serving the route: Delta, JetBlue and Southwest

American Airlines will start flying to Boston beginning in April.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2019/12/18/which-flights-out-of-austin-make-the-most-money.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

spacer.png

Interesting Southwest's November 2019 was an almost 5% drop from Nov 2018 despite the port overall being up 6.8% compared to November 2018. On the year, SW is still up 4.6%.

AUSTIN, TEXAS – The number of travelers passing through Austin-Bergstrom International Airport in November 2019 pushed the airport’s passenger travel for the year past the annual record set in 2018, with 15,872,676 traveling through the airport year-to-date. With December 2019 passenger numbers still being calculated, 2019 will be Austin-Bergstrom’s busiest travel year ever.

November 2019

Passenger Activity: Total passenger traffic for November 2019 was 1,453,417 up 6.8% compared to November 2018. November 2019 enplanements totaled 735,746, up 7.95%. Southwest Airlines passengers totaled 476,335, down 4.7%;American Airlines passengers totaled 264,124, up 3.4%; United Airlines passengers totaled 206,273, up 2.7%; Delta Air Lines passengers totaled 192,744, up 10.8%; Spirit Airlines passengers totaled 78,324; Frontier Airlinespassengers totaled 75,303, down 16.8%; Alaska Airlines passengers 56,744, up 12%; JetBlue Airways passengers totaled 50,930, up 13.1%; British Airways passengers totaled 15,060, up 12.5%; Allegiant Air passengers totaled 12,954, down 22.5%;  Lufthansa  passengers totaled 7,953; Air Canada passengers totaled 4,824, up 3%; AeroMexicopassengers totaled 4,880, up 29.6% ; Sun Country Airlines passengers totaled 4,487, up 152.4%; Miami Air passengers totaled 981; Swift Air passengers totaled 882, up 41.3% and WestJet passengers totaled 619.

November 2019 air cargo totaled 17,347,972 lbs., up 14.5% compared to November 2018.  International air cargototaled 3,567,663 lbs., up 94.9%. Federal Express carried 7,348,321 -lbs., down 5.7% and United Parcel Service carried 3,131,307 lbs., down 10.4%.

Air Services transferred 958,618 lbs. of mail, up 29%; and 2,093,204 lbs. of belly freight, up 12.9%.

Aircraft Operations: General Aviation operations totaled 4,242, down 0.6%. Combined operations (including commercial and military) totaled 17,864, up 1.9%.

January – November 2019

Passenger Activity: Total passenger traffic for January – November 2019 was 15,872,676, up 9.04%, compared to January – November 2018. January – November 2019 enplanements totaled 7,937,028, up 9.1%. Southwest Airlinespassengers totaled 5,345,066, up 4.6%; American Airlines passengers totaled 2,827,588, up 9%; United Airlines passengers totaled 2,273,724, up 6.2%; Delta Air Lines passengers totaled 2,162,261, up 11.6%; Frontier Airlinespassengers totaled 832,893, down 22.3%; Spirit Airlines passengers totaled 692,781; Alaska Airlines passengers 580,240, up 13.4%; JetBlue Airways passengers totaled 522,503, down 2.3%; British Airways passengers totaled 173,262, up 10.1%; Allegiant Air passengers totaled 170,551, down 34.4%; Air Canada passengers totaled 66,097, up 48.2%; Norwegian Air passengers totaled 62,435, up 15.4%; Lufthansa  passengers totaled 58,175; AeroMexicopassengers totaled 43,186, up 9.6% ; Sun Country Airlines passengers totaled 37,133, up 46.4%; WestJet passengers totaled 13,365; Via Air passengers totaled 3,218; Swift Air passengers totaled 2,729, up 7.3%; Miami Air passengers totaled 2,396; Vacation Express passengers totaled 1,750, down 36.5%; Volaris passengers totaled 434; Scandinavian Airlines passengers totaled 423, down 39.3%;  Air New Zealand passengers totaled 302 and VivaAerobus passengers totaled 164.

January – November 2019 air cargo totaled 166,095,937 lbs., down 0.9% compared to November 2018. International air cargo totaled 19,902,895 lbs., down 4.9%. Federal Express carried 85,027,001 lbs., down 5.8%; and United Parcel Service carried 34,697,020 lbs., up 0.9 %.

Air Services transferred 9,628,130 lbs. of mail, up 37.7%; and 20,121,552 lbs. of belly freight, up 8.4%.

Aircraft Operations: General Aviation operations totaled 40,215 for January – November 2019, down 10.6%. Combined operations (including commercial and military) totaled 192,768, down 0.5%.

• 2 weeks later...

Newest Surly hangout?

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2020/01/16/new-kind-of-lounge-in-the-works-at-austin-airport.html?ana=e_me_set1&j=90446201&t=Morning&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT0dOa1lXWXhaRFUwTTJRNCIsInQiOiI5ZE4zOHlGbEx6RjRaaUJZbEhGMjJNb3ZvZUZHS0ZtRzFwSXpcL0FzOVpzM1dmalwvaTZaVEpEMkdTTXdpSnFvaXYxeXVLOEZwNGJUQWVRUWdqQ2JFRWl3MzdxVkdiWTZKNTVudmo3UTZwclp5blwvRnVyM2EyUTFieUx1ajExaVRwaCJ9

Apparently they have a few other locations around the country, but I've never been to one.  Anybody have any reports or experiences?  And for the life of me, I just can't picture where in the mezzanine this is gonna go?  Unless it's taking over for some other space up there.  Anyway, sounds great.  I plan to start using Delta more now that they're getting more entrenched in Austin as a Focus City, but for those of us with zero allegiance to any one carrier because itinerary is more important than miles...this is welcomed news.   I can only assume we'll have some surly folks who get far more in drinks than the $40 day pass.  

But yeah, where exactly is this going inside and anybody visited any of their other lounge properties ? 

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Newest Surly hangout?

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2020/01/16/new-kind-of-lounge-in-the-works-at-austin-airport.html?ana=e_me_set1&j=90446201&t=Morning&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT0dOa1lXWXhaRFUwTTJRNCIsInQiOiI5ZE4zOHlGbEx6RjRaaUJZbEhGMjJNb3ZvZUZHS0ZtRzFwSXpcL0FzOVpzM1dmalwvaTZaVEpEMkdTTXdpSnFvaXYxeXVLOEZwNGJUQWVRUWdqQ2JFRWl3MzdxVkdiWTZKNTVudmo3UTZwclp5blwvRnVyM2EyUTFieUx1ajExaVRwaCJ9

Apparently they have a few other locations around the country, but I've never been to one.  Anybody have any reports or experiences?  And for the life of me, I just can't picture where in the mezzanine this is gonna go?  Unless it's taking over for some other space up there.  Anyway, sounds great.  I plan to start using Delta more now that they're getting more entrenched in Austin as a Focus City, but for those of us with zero allegiance to any one carrier because itinerary is more important than miles...this is welcomed news.   I can only assume we'll have some surly folks who get far more in drinks than the $40 day pass.  

But yeah, where exactly is this going inside and anybody visited any of their other lounge properties ? 

It's in the same place as the United/American clubs except on the east side of the airport instead of the west. This used to be airport admin offices but that has been moved to the new parking garage.  Basically, between security check 1 and 2 and up the staircase.

Obviously would have sniffed out the bar eventually, but pos rep.  Convenient then for SWA, Delta, et. al.  Obviously one tends to use lounges more for return flights rather than outbound, but nice to have the option until I get status with Delta.  And of course, one will just have to assume you get comped beverages for that $40-$50/day pass?  Or will it be a Blues Brothers situation?
"Lobo, you owe us $100 for all that beer you boys drank tonight."

Well, then let me just go out to the plane and get a traveler's check.  I have to sit down there as well to sign it.  

Edited by Lobo

When’s the last time you didn’t hear ‘this is a full flight’?  Granted that’s industry-wide but it’s a given outta Austin most days.  

Got it on SW this morning. We had to rearrange seating before takeoff because they needed to balance more weight to the back of the plane. It was crazy

Was on a trip to Houston earlier this week with maybe 1/3 capacity, 60-70 folks or so.  Almost everyone got their own  3-seat row .  Except of course, there I was sitting with shoulders totally squared and my work shit spread around as if to say, "NO."  And of course, this guy moves into my row.  Despite numerous empty rows or rows with people smaller than he was (and he was creepily small).  I eventually just got up and moved and he didn't get the fucking hint.  I wasn't in an exit row or anything fun, just a normal row near the back with a good bulkhead carveout for my shoulder so I could work better.  I'll never fucking understand why people do that shit.  Same thing with parking lots.  There I am in the way back so I can finish up a call or something before heading inside the store or whatever.  And invariably, somebody comes and just slides in right up next to me despite there being 30 empty spaces in our immediate vicinity.  What the fuck is with people and their need to be around other people or their need to be heard?  

Anyway, ABIA will have a busy 2020.  

Edited by Lobo

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Why would one not just go immediately home?

Maybe I phrased it wrong.  I'm saying that I tend to use airport lounges way more when I'm at the destination city waiting to fly home to Austin.  I would think that's the case for most business travelers.  We get to the outbound flight at the last minute so as to either spend more time with the family or at work.  And just zip out in the place we know best.  but then when flying back home, since you may have finished up work early, or had to check out of the hotel to avoid late fees, or finished just had some time to kill at the out-of-town/out-of-country airport...that's when you'll more typically have some time to kill and so you use one of those airport lounge services.  I'd use that priority pass for many years and 75% of the uses were in other cities, not Austin.  My M.O. was to get to Bergstrom with 45 minutes to spare, no sense in anything more.  But in other cities, shit just happens and you end up with 2 hours to spare there so you want to get a lounge pass or awards access.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Maybe I phrased it wrong.  I'm saying that I tend to use airport lounges way more when I'm at the destination city waiting to fly home to Austin.  I would think that's the case for most business travelers.  We get to the outbound flight at the last minute so as to either spend more time with the family or at work.  And just zip out in the place we know best.  but then when flying back home, since you may have finished up work early, or had to check out of the hotel to avoid late fees, or finished just had some time to kill at the out-of-town/out-of-country airport...that's when you'll more typically have some time to kill and so you use one of those airport lounge services.  I'd use that priority pass for many years and 75% of the uses were in other cities, not Austin.  My M.O. was to get to Bergstrom with 45 minutes to spare, no sense in anything more.  But in other cities, shit just happens and you end up with 2 hours to spare there so you want to get a lounge pass or awards access.  

Got it.  That was kind of my question.  I don't really care about the lounges at ABIA because I'll never use them.

Yeah, only reason I'd use this new one that I linked or the new Delta one would be same reason I had that United club access years ago...when traveling with family.  Because my wife likes to get there three hours ahead of time because airports are fun and have chairs 'n stuff.  And I know Daddy is gonna need a few glasses of medicine so may as well have some kinda tacit access to these things.  Think I check it out once to make sure the barware is in order.  Then 1-2x a year when traveling with the kids.  But I think their business model is forward-thinking.  Most business travelers are only beholden to their perk-based club lounge because their employer buys tickets on that one airline.  As the gig/self-employed/independent contractor world gets bigger and bigger (yet smaller and smaller), most of us shop around now based on itinerary and then price because time means more then miles.  And as such, these 'flex-lounges' are more and more attractive on an a la carte basis. 

Everything in travel is becoming a utility and experience, rather than how we business travelers thought of it for the last quarter century.  I want to get to a city when I need to get to it, not 7 hours earlier to save $9 to get UAL miles.  I don't need Hertz #1 club gold, I want to uber from point to point with no wait.  I don't care about Hyatt miles, I just want to stay at the hotel where the conference is.  I don't care about gold lounge recognition, I have 45 minutes to kill which means 3 drinks so tell me how much I can pay to get that.  I don't need to be "known" in some Delta Sky Lounge as a first-class superstar.  I don't need complimentary upgrades at Avis.  Travel is functionality until destination.  Which is why alcohol remains such a popular product during transit.  

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

my wife likes to get there three hours ahead of time because airports are fun and have chairs 'n stuff

lulz

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don't need Hertz #1 club gold, I want to uber from point to point with no wait.

How in the blue fuck has the rental car industry not been disrupted yet?  They still operate like it's 1991.

• Like 1

Yep.  And that people are still say with a straight face how proud they are of their elite status with rental car companies.  

silvercar is kinda doing it.  they recognize that there’ll always be a small demand for rental cars by traveling salesman, families with small children for whom Uber doesn’t make sense, and folks who have a car in the shop.  But they realized there’s three things people will never miss about the rental car experience no matter how much Avis screams “but we’re a people company.  We have people skills!  What the hell is wrong with you people?!”  The shuttle/rental desk bullshit, the car you reserved is rarely anything like the one you get, and the bullshit insurance/walk thru/gas shakedown.  So an austin company thought just put a bunch of identical cars right by the airport with no annoying people in matching shirts, and the renter just scans the car with their phones and just drives away.  

It’s a three dollar Uber or cab fare to get to it.  Infinitely faster than the shuttle system at most airports (admittedly the abia setup is pretty easy for traditional rentals).   But at most airports, they are infinitely faster and easier especially for late arrivals.  

it’s unfortunate you had a negative customer service experience though.  Out of curiosity what was it?  

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It’s a three dollar Uber or cab fare to get to it.  Infinitely faster than the shuttle system at most airports (admittedly the abia setup is pretty easy for traditional rentals).   But at most airports, they are infinitely faster and easier especially for late arrivals.  

it’s unfortunate you had a negative customer service experience though.  Out of curiosity what was it?  

It takes longer to walk to the Uber pick-up at ABIA than it takes to walk to the rental car center and pick a car from the President's Circle at Hertz and drive off. Plus it's not some shady abandoned gas Station next to a rooms by the hour motel.

As for customer service, months after a rental I received a notice from a collection agency wanting me to pay for a replacement rim and tire that they claimed was damaged while I had the car. No one from Silvercar had contacted me prior to that about alleged damage. The car was in perfect condition when I returned it so it was either a complete fabrication or it happened after I returned the car. It took months of back and forth with the asshole collection agency to get the charges reversed. Meanwhile no one from Silvercar never bothered to pick up the phone to return my calls or email me back. From someone who spends 150+ days a year in a rental car, fuck those guys. Never again.

21 hours ago, Lobo said:

Because my wife likes to get there three hours ahead of time because airports are fun and have chairs 'n stuff

I agree with your wife.  back before I was square I loved getting drunk in airports and I’m not really sure why.  but I would frequently show up at noon for a 5pm flight and just get hammered. 

Frequent Turo (previously RelayRides) user here. It’s essentially Airbnb for cars and, more often than not, the owner will drop off the car in short term parking shortly before I land, I’m wheels down, find the car, and off I go. 

I will say, however, my last couple times renting with Avis and doing the check-in and everything else through their shitty app wasn’t _too_ terrible. I ended up going straight from the plane to the car without having to deal with any humans. But I think that depends on the local franchise or location from which you’re renting. 

Edited by The People’s Elbow

On 1/18/2020 at 6:30 AM, Lobo said:

Yep.  And that people are still say with a straight face how proud they are of their elite status with rental car companies.  

I am not "proud" of it but Hertz with Presidents Circle is pretty nice and easy, it has none of those things you complain of and I primarily fly to SJC where the rental building is right across the street from the terminal. 

Does it have people involved?  Then it's just waiting to suck. 

I get it, honestly.  I was just shamelessly plugging Silvercar since they're here in Austin and we do business with them.  A lot of issues with the rental car companies does stem from poor terminal layout and it's only going to be exacerbated as more and more airports renovate/upgrade/expand to accommodate ride-sharing and eventually self-driving cars and the traditional model of rental desks downstairs/shuttles to your right/lot is 4 miles away is going bye-bye.  They're perpetually under-staffed, you spend 10 minutes at the desk doing business with them, only to have another person to deal with to walk-around and offer your bullshit, and then the guy in the booth that's making sure you're not stealing the car.  It adds on a lot of time, but as I said above-there are just some travelers that will always need a rental car.  But I just can't imagine flying to a city now, renting a car to drive to the hotel, to drive it to 1 or 2 meetings, park it at your hotel for $30/night, and then drive it back while trying not to forget to buy more fuel.  That was the model for 50 years, even with taxis and Blue Shuttle (which just went out of business officially this month).  Another thing I've often wondered is why more hotels and rental car companies work out scams with overnight parking fees.  Anyway...

I also don't like how I don't think I've ever gotten the car I reserved online.  I mean, I get giving me a Civic instead of a Corolla, but it's usually some bullshit like when I reserved a Camry for driving all around the RGV and instead got a Forte with a windshield that was taped on and paper tags which immediately makes me a target for Border Patrol (true story).  How do they expect to get people to join their loyalty programs if they provide zero effort or customer service on the front end?  In the end, as long as the car is clean and running well...even most of us frequent business travelers don't really give a shit about the car itself as long as its within our budget/expense.  But the time suck and the necessity to deal with one moron after the other really starts to grind me down.  A few well-functioning airport/rental operations aside, it is a consistent 45 minutes from time you walk off the Jetway to the time you are driving towards your destination in your rental away from the facility.  There aren't many CBD's in this nation where, within 45 minutes you can already be at your hotel, checked-in, and at the bar within that same amount of time for less money with ride-sharing.  SFO is a shitshow of a terminal, but last time I was there, I was in my Silvercar 15 minutes after I walked off the plane and already heading towards the the North Bay.  

To each his own, don't really care other than the Silvercar plug.  I guess the frustration stems from how we're still seeing one airport after another  that keeps building more parking garages (we're building ours because our growth demands it)  or swallowing up more land around it for surface lots.  So that they can offer more parking and more room for rental car facilities when both those trends are declining in most markets (again, not ABIA).  It's costing taxpayers unnecessary hundreds of millions a year in superfluous projects that don't meet what's actually happening in travel.  More access to ride-share platforms. 

Remember when Ann Kitchen cut off Uber/Lyft.  The visitors at ABIA didn't learn of the situation and think "Well, in that case I guess I'll walk over to Avis and get a Ford Focus."  Instead they created enough organic demand for alternatives in the ride-sharing space that a half-dozen services popped up within days of the ban.  Two of which are still in business to this day.  That's a microcosm of what's happening with airport ground transportation. Then fuckstick Adler and Kitchen come along and declare we need more room for taxis to wait downstairs.  He's said the same fucking thing around big hotels downtown, that there needs to be more dedicated curb-feet for cabs to wait in a line.  His reasoning is that there are so many cabs backed up, they're causing congestion at the back of the line.  They're stacked up like that, because nobody is using them you fucking moron.  Same thing downtown at the hotels.  Go and look at how many more feet have been carved out near Hyatt, SFA, J.W., et. al.  And it's the same fucking thing everytime, it's either the same 5 cabs that'll all still be there when you walk out from lunch, or it's completely barren but nobody else can park there.  Anyway, I want airports to think about their future instead of short-sighted money-grabs, but that's a dream.

Fun fact-the U.S. Corporation that hires more new college grads (graduation in last 6-12 months) than any other company---Enterprise Rental.  By far.

Yep.  First rant in the history of Surly about travel frustration and government ineptitude.  We should archive the thread because nobody will ever go off on a rant ever again.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you guys are interested in this level of detail but:

February Port Updates:

-Virtually all aspects of phase 1 of 2040 master plan in progress to studies/design phase despite master plan still not approved by FAA

-ABIA looking to hire 2 films to help with on call planning services for general planning and implementation of 2040 master plan. The proposals from interested firms are due Feb 27th

-ABIA trying to purchase the Lynxs Caro buildings to allow port control of the cargo warehouse to provide future cargo expansion and concessions storage

-Demo permits finally going out for 4 old airforce buildings that were suppose to go down in 2019. 9 more airforce buildings suppose to be demolished this year

-consolidated maintenance facility construction underway. Piers are complete and foundations should begin later this month.

-Admin building almost done. Getting punch items.

-Old IT building set for demolition in April to make way for new IT building

-Should now have executed contract for new centralized baggage handling system

-Checkpoint One remodel issues being worked out with TSA and architects 

-Last phase of East Terminal project is the 2nd phase of Apron expansion and should be finished in March

Air Service Updates:  On January 14, 2020, Allegiant Airlines announced four new nonstop destinations from the South Terminal. The new seasonal routes include: 1.    Asheville, North Carolina will operate on Monday and Friday, May 22, 2020 to November 16, 2020. 2.    Des Moines, Iowa will operate on Sunday and Thursday, May 21, 2020 to November 15, 2020. 3.    Grand Rapids, Michigan will operate on Friday and Monday, May 22, 2020 to November 17, 2020. 4.    Knoxville, Tennessee will operate on Friday and Monday May 22, 2020 to November 17, 2020.

Edited by Pasken
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Have they ever done anything with those old Air Force nuclear storage bunks over by the east runway?

As I recall when Bergstrom was a SAC base, hydrogen bombs were stored in those bunkers.

I'm not sure what buildings you are talking about since the east runway is pretty long. It's possible but the new maintenance complex they are building now will likely heavily reduce the number of old Air Force buildings that are in use.

document-65-DEE1-DD-DD4-D-C8-C3-6238119-

Complexz_700px.jpg

Edited by Pasken

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Have they ever done anything with those old Air Force nuclear storage bunks over by the east runway?

As I recall when Bergstrom was a SAC base, hydrogen bombs were stored in those bunkers.

Pretty sure those are still there. They’re mostly underground with a little grassy knoll built up to accommodate a door like a hobbit hole. They’re out in the grass east of the East runway.