ABIA Expansion Thread

Pasken

43 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Pretty sure those are still there. They’re mostly underground with a little grassy knoll built up to accommodate a door like a hobbit hole. They’re out in the grass east of the East runway. 

Yup, those are what I’m talking about. We haven’t flown in or out of the east runway for several years, so didn’t know if they were still there. An interesting relic of the Cold War when B-52s were stationed at Bergstrom.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Yes, but I thought there used to be several more of them.

wonder what the radiation level is in those things?

Hardly any would be my guess.  Those bombs are hardened against fire, radiation, shock, water, etc with the pit buried deep inside.  They contain radioactive batteries but I’d bet they’re also safe from the outside as the electrical system is the key to detonating it and therefore very difficult to access through the strong link. Any external radiation would be limited as they’re never opened in a bunker...they’re serviced at places like Los Alamos or Pantex outside Amarillo.  

• Like 2

A port insider on SSP says the port has shifted to a tunnel connection between the existing Barbara Jordan terminal and the new center concourse.  This was something I predicted after hearing the comments from the port's new chief Jacqueline Yaft who came from Denver which has the same parallel concourse design with bridges and tunnels. 

She knows that the tunnel is cleaner, has less visible obstructions and would not put a big column in the middle of the taxi path for planes. My worry is you have an outsider that is not listening to her staff that have been building at the port for 20 years who are saying tunneling and maintaining a people mover train underground is going to be very difficult because of the water table at the airport. For those who don't know, there are flood planes all around the port. Also, the needed next port expansion will cost billions of dollars and a tunnel is going to add a huge expense.  

He also says they are going to extend the Barbara Jordan terminal a little bit to the west to compensate for the gates lost because of the bridge/tunnel connection in the middle of the BJ concourse. . This west extension should not jeopardize the future center runway. If the extension follows one of the options previously discussed, it will be about half the length of the eastern extension that was just completed. 

New Images via Mikey711MN at SSP

Some key differences in what we've seen before:

1) A tunnel connecting the Barbara Jordan Terminal to new center concourse 

2) 1st phase of new center concourse is the west end instead of east

3) New West infill project on BJ Terminal

4) BJ terminal extension to compensate for the loss of gates due to tunnel infrastructure on BJ concourse

8v7hu4U.jpg
KzXHQ1F.jpg
N0OWI9D.jpg
ijV1sTZ.jpg

He also mentioned the phasing would shift so the west infill and new center concourse would come online years before the new northern terminal extension. The increased security and other utilities of the west infill will be enough for the port for a little longer. This basically means checkpoint 3 would be revbuilt to mirror the massive checking 1 which itself is getting 2 more security lines. 

-Looks like seasonal Norwegian service is back. Paris service starts May 6th, and then KLM to Amsterdam starts May 7th.

-Duty Free store is now open at AUS

Some of my takeaways about changes from the initial master plan: 

-I hope they know what they are doing with the tunnel...
-it'll be nice the south terminal has its own taxiway to both runways while heavy construction is going on in the center.
-It makes sense to start with the west half of the new center concourse since there is more room on the west side due to the new deicing facility on the east side
-Looks like the new road connection will just be 2 levels instead of having a 3rd for pedestrian crossing and instead there will be a massive arc bridge for pedestrian crossings
-I'm sure it'll be nice for the planes in the back of the east terminal extension to have the new corner connection (new Golf1 I'm Guessing) to the east runway taxiway. 
-Interesting that the new terminal processing building will be more integrated to the BJ terminal. I wonder what the construction plan is. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st phase of the processing building is more separate and the integration project comes after it opens. 

Some thoughts on Mikey's schedule notes:

-It helps solve the question of, "how the hell can they aford all this?" It'll be interesting to see how they design the west infill. I'm betting it is more rectangular to fill the space to make more room for check in without taking away space for security.  
-I wonder if they can manage to get the new west taxiway Foxtrot ready to build at the same time they close the west runway for maintenance/upgrades and renumbering. Seems like it would be hard to build the taxiway next to an active runway. I assume all the quick exits in the new taxiway increases the amount of operations the runways can handle per hour?
-Would it be crazy to cut and cap the tunnel? You would have to probably get the scheduling right so you finish the south half of the cap with the new apron so you could cut and cap the north half.

Reminder about TxDOT work drastically changing how cars get to airport: 
-The new entrance system for the port is going to be really great. Now all airport traffic on WB 71 will exit before 183, take a bridge over 183, and take a new bridge over Spirt of Texas to get to the new braided Presidential Blvd which will eliminate the traffic light for everyone. The new 183 SB to 71 EB direct ramp will have an exit built onto it for airport traffic as well to the new EB frontage roads and a new ramp from 183 NB to the new frontage as well as a ramp to the WB mainlanes. Basically, it get airport bound cars off the highway before 183 traffic joins the 71 mainlanes. Just smart highway design.

• Like 2

Appreciate your updates as always.  You ever work with the Brimble group?

and yes, as Kramer likes to sing “I like to stop at the duty free shop.  I like to stop at the duty free shop.”

1 hour ago, Pasken said:

-Looks like seasonal Norwegian service is back. Paris service starts May 6th, and then KLM to Amsterdam starts May 7th.

-Duty Free store is now open at AUS

Some of my takeaways about changes from the initial master plan: 

-I hope they know what they are doing with the tunnel...
-it'll be nice the south terminal has its own taxiway to both runways while heavy construction is going on in the center.
-It makes sense to start with the west half of the new center concourse since there is more room on the west side due to the new deicing facility on the east side
-Looks like the new road connection will just be 2 levels instead of having a 3rd for pedestrian crossing and instead there will be a massive arc bridge for pedestrian crossings
-I'm sure it'll be nice for the planes in the back of the east terminal extension to have the new corner connection (new Golf1 I'm Guessing) to the east runway taxiway. 
-Interesting that the new terminal processing building will be more integrated to the BJ terminal. I wonder what the construction plan is. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st phase of the processing building is more separate and the integration project comes after it opens. 

Some thoughts on Mikey's schedule notes:

-It helps solve the question of, "how the hell can they aford all this?" It'll be interesting to see how they design the west infill. I'm betting it is more rectangular to fill the space to make more room for check in without taking away space for security.  
-I wonder if they can manage to get the new west taxiway Foxtrot ready to build at the same time they close the west runway for maintenance/upgrades and renumbering. Seems like it would be hard to build the taxiway next to an active runway. I assume all the quick exits in the new taxiway increases the amount of operations the runways can handle per hour?
-Would it be crazy to cut and cap the tunnel? You would have to probably get the scheduling right so you finish the south half of the cap with the new apron so you could cut and cap the north half.

Reminder about TxDOT work drastically changing how cars get to airport: 
-The new entrance system for the port is going to be really great. Now all airport traffic on WB 71 will exit before 183, take a bridge over 183, and take a new bridge over Spirt of Texas to get to the new braided Presidential Blvd which will eliminate the traffic light for everyone. The new 183 SB to 71 EB direct ramp will have an exit built onto it for airport traffic as well to the new EB frontage roads and a new ramp from 183 NB to the new frontage as well as a ramp to the WB mainlanes. Basically, it get airport bound cars off the highway before 183 traffic joins the 71 mainlanes. Just smart highway design.

I hope Norwegian sticks around.  Really enjoyed my direct to London last fall.  Wife is taking the direct to Paris in May also.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Appreciate your updates as always.  You ever work with the Brimble group?

and yes, as Kramer likes to sing “I like to stop at the duty free shop.  I like to stop at the duty free shop.”

Thanks! No clue what that group is.

53 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I hope Norwegian sticks around.  Really enjoyed my direct to London last fall.  Wife is taking the direct to Paris in May also.

I think they will. AUS has seemed to go all in on budget airlines like Norwegian, Allegiant, Frontier and Spirit. It has opened up a lot of new directs. 

56 minutes ago, Pasken said:

I think they will. AUS has seemed to go all in on budget airlines like Norwegian, Allegiant, Frontier and Spirit. It has opened up a lot of new directs. 

Still weird to me that they are considered a budget airline.  The planes are really nice and I never felt like we were going to fall out of the sky, unlike Spirit.  I've never flown the others.

• Like 1

I think AUS has gone all in on value carriers because they are all trying to gobble up point-to-point that SWA can't cover.  I know AAL & UAL are still preferred for some because of legacy points with work and shit.  But more and more Austin business travelers just base things on itinerary and lack of stops.  I won't fly Spirit, am very hesitant about Allegiant, but have little issue with Norwegian, Frontier, et. al.  I think the real game changer will be seeing how Delta's focus city plan unfolds over the next half decade.  I'm willing to go all-in with them (or I guess 75% all-in) if they can prove out a good itinerary platform.  And they gotta add MDW.  But, I digest. 

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think AUS has gone all in on value carriers because they are all trying to gobble up point-to-point that SWA can't cover.  I know AAL & UAL are still preferred for some because of legacy points with work and shit.  But more and more Austin business travelers just base things on itinerary and lack of stops.  I won't fly Spirit, am very hesitant about Allegiant, but have little issue with Norwegian, Frontier, et. al.  I think the real game changer will be seeing how Delta's focus city plan unfolds over the next half decade.  I'm willing to go all-in with them (or I guess 75% all-in) if they can prove out a good itinerary platform.  And they gotta add MDW.  But, I digest. 

Allegiant is terrible but they haven't had a hull loss at least. Leasing out the South Terminal really ended up being a great call. No cost to the port and really gives more opportunities for trying out new routes. Not all will stick but some do. 

Props to Delta and their investment in Austin.  I’ve always kind of been indifferent about flying with them, however having the Delta Sky Club at ABIA makes a world of difference.  

Flights times being relatively equal, I’ll happily pay a little extra from now on in order to slam some free cocktails and good food upstairs in the Sky Club before my departure.   

• Like 1

I think I've only flown spirit once, but it was for a quick one-night turnaround to atlanta and so I only had a small backpack which was free.  I'm not a sociopath so I don't recline my airline seat.  roundtrip fare was like $80.  and plane wasn't full so I still got a window seat.  what's wrong with that?

What’s wrong with that?  The fact that you recalled every detail from the flight despite saying “I think I’ve only flown once”.  

what we got here is a little game of Show and Tell 

23 hours ago, futureman said:

I thought Spirit had the "youngest fleet" of any major airline.  or maybe they meant to say youngest pilots?

I think it’s back and for between them and Frontier for the youngest fleet. Both have a ton of Airbus orders on deck and will be the youngest fleets going for sometime  with the exception of startups like Breeze. 

Age wise both are in the 35-45 range for the majority of their pilots which won’t be that abnormal with the legacies sending all their olds off to polish their recliners. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If they knew Prop A was coming and was going to be a great idea, why'd we blow so much money and destroy so much environment on those parking garages?

Edited by Lobo

6 hours ago, Pasken said:

So you think they should be spending more money on Prop A?

Nope.  But for however many $B they want now, you'd think their conceptual drawings could at least lie and have an A/C system before they inevitably increase the cost by 200% and reduce the coverage by 50%.

That platform drawing also has a distinct lack of tents.  Must of been drawn by an out of town artist.

Edited by Horn of Gabriel
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Nope.  But for however many $B they want now, you'd think their conceptual drawings could at least lie and have an A/C system before they inevitably increase the cost by 200% and reduce the coverage by 50%.

That platform drawing also has a distinct lack of tents.  Must of been drawn by an out of town artist.

Should've included the heat waves that will be radiating between the concrete and metal roof from May through September.

• 1 month later...