ABIA Expansion Thread

Pasken

6 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Hopefully I'll be retired to some small town when this all goes down.  

I would guess construction would start in about 2022. It still needs to be approved by city council and the FAA which should happen by the end of the year. Then it has to be designed/engineered and permitted which will take a couple years.

Although, I think they can do the west infill on the Barbara Jordan terminal pretty soon since that has been planed for years and that would require closing the existing west security checkpoint for a couple years.

Edited by Pasken
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Any airport that mandates you must ride a train to get around can lick my ball sack. Your move Austin.

You say that but I like DFW's train system.  I've spent many a flights in CTL literally running all the way from Terminal E to one of the real terminals.  I hate CTL.

32 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Any airport that mandates you must ride a train to get around can lick my ball sack. Your move Austin.

The airport team agrees with you. Everything is a walkway. The connector from BJ to the new concourse would be about 70 feet in the air and have a pretty great view of Austin. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Not surprised by these numbers.

The airport was an absolute shitshow this summer - just unbearably bad. At times I felt like I was in Ohare.

I will say that the new reserved garage parking is the shit. Totally worth the extra $4 a day or whatever. #shaggy1percent

Well, now--this is the first I've heard of this reserved parking thing.  I'm very interested in this offering.

9 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

Serious question - Why use anything other than off airport? Pickup and dropoff at your vehicle.

Do you even valet, bro?

If I'm traveling for a long weekend or really anything less than 4 days, I valet.  Drop your car.  Hand them the keys and walk across the street to to security check-in.  Call them when you land, and your car is pulled up and running.  

You can put this in the "trivial things that please you" category for me.  Worth the extra $10/day or whatever it is.

11 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

Serious question - Why use anything other than off airport? Pickup and dropoff at your vehicle.

business travel means company pays for parking.  The garage reserved parking is way faster and more convenient than getting on a bus for the off site places.

If I was paying for parking I would definitely do offsite.

8 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

business travel means company pays for parking.  The garage reserved parking is way faster and more convenient than getting on a bus for the off site places.

If I was paying for parking I would definitely do offsite.

Company’s paying for mine, too. I just like being picked up and dropped off at my exact spot. I’m also a nerd about getting to the airport early after getting stuck in Savannah an extra day after missing my flight after too much Grey Goose one night, so not worried about the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Sneak peak of the terminal expansion:

VIEW3_Dawn_FINAL_Gensler.0.jpg

Austin and Texas culture take center stage in a dramatic new terminal and apron expansion currently under construction at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. The expansion will add nearly 175,000 square feet and nine new gates to the terminal, increasing the gate total to 34 and international flight gates from two to six.

Designed by Gensler, with Hensel Phelps as the main contractor, the expansion maintains the modernist bent of the original terminal (also designed by Gensler), but takes its influences from older regional sources, including the dance hall in Greune, Texas, and Austin’s famous moonlight towers. The dance-hall influence can be seen on the planned concourse, which is meant to have an open, relaxing feel and will feature shops and a food hall. At the end of the concourse will be a two-story, moontower-influenced structure that will feature Parkside restaurant on the ground floor, open to all passengers, and Delta’s Sky Club lounge on the mezzanine level.

More renderings and writings:

https://austin.curbed.com/2018/9/26/17907272/austin-airport-expansion-design-terminal

On 8/3/2018 at 1:12 PM, kevwun said:

My wife texted me the other day that Frontier had $83 flights to New Orleans, so I started looking in to it.  They have this weird rotating schedule and don't fly it every day.  On weeks where there is a flight out on Friday, there's not a return flight until Monday.  When there is a return flight on Sunday, you have to fly out on Thursday.  I guess most of their customers are only using Frontier for one leg?

I just flew Frontier from Seattle to Austin for $49.  (plus baggage)

I've seen DEN-AUS for $29 each way.

• 1 month later...

Not quite sure how this is going to work out:

https://www.statesman.com/news/20181119/ride-hailing-taxi-pickup-spot-at-airport-moved-to-new-spot

Ride-hailing, taxi pickup spot at airport moved to new spot

Philip Jankowski  

Posted Nov 19, 2018 at 2:09 PM 

Many of those at the end of their journey to Austin at the airport will now have to add another leg to their trip: a 600-foot walk.

That’s because officials at the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport on Monday changed the pickup location for all ride-hailing and taxis from just outside of the airport’s main terminal to the rental car facility.

Airport spokesman Derick Hackett said the change was needed to relieve congestion on Presidential Boulevard along the main terminal on the bottom level of the street, where cars can stack up while drivers weave in and out of four lanes of traffic to pick up recent arrivals.

“We were looking at a way to reduce congestion at the Barbara Jordan Terminal,” Hackett said. “This was a solution that we looked at and thought it would be a win.”

The move will reduce the amount of vehicle trips along that stretch of road by an estimated 3,700 cars per day, airport officials said in a statement Monday. The effect on traffic is not fully clear because Austin-Bergstrom International Airport does not track the total number of vehicle trips to the airport each day. Taxis and ride-hailing services can still drop passengers off at the terminal.

To get to the new pickup spot from baggage claim, recent arrivals have to walk across Presidential Boulevard to the adjacent parking garage, take an elevator to the second level, walk along a pathway found in the center of the garage and cross another street to enter the rental facility. There, pickup spots for taxis and ride-hailing services will are marked with color-coded lanes.

The airport also has vehicles in place at the parking garage to take passengers with mobility issues to the new pickup spot.

“The way this is set up is pretty common in airports that have very high efficiency,” Hackett said.

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

Sounds like a similar system to SEA. It works pretty well there. They need to do something to alleviate traffic on the arrivals level so this is a step in the right direction.

Yea - just read this Wired article on other cities diverting ride-hailing to other parts of the airport too. Seems like it might help. 

It should definitely help I fly a lot for work and it has gotten ridiculous for both drop off and pick up. 

I have completely switched from Uber to and from airport to valet only. 

These new gates can’t get here fast enough, the airport is always packed these days. Security is great compared to other cities but the walkway of ABIA is way to narrow and when a non Southwest plane is about to take off they completely block the walkway.

Get off my lawn. Gif 

Edited by LebongJames
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 2:51 PM, The Dog said:

You're right. Nobody flies to Chicago out of Austin. ;)

Ho Lee Fuk Chicago airport was a fucking zoo a couple of weeks ago. I think I remember passing though before, but I've never seen an airport so packed. Apparently they have like 3 huge airports too. Crossing a damn freeway on an overpass to get to the terminal was nuts.

On 9/27/2018 at 10:15 AM, bolverk said:

Sneak peak of the terminal expansion:

VIEW3_Dawn_FINAL_Gensler.0.jpg

Austin and Texas culture take center stage in a dramatic new terminal and apron expansion currently under construction at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. The expansion will add nearly 175,000 square feet and nine new gates to the terminal, increasing the gate total to 34 and international flight gates from two to six.

Designed by Gensler, with Hensel Phelps as the main contractor, the expansion maintains the modernist bent of the original terminal (also designed by Gensler), but takes its influences from older regional sources, including the dance hall in Greune, Texas, and Austin’s famous moonlight towers. The dance-hall influence can be seen on the planned concourse, which is meant to have an open, relaxing feel and will feature shops and a food hall. At the end of the concourse will be a two-story, moontower-influenced structure that will feature Parkside restaurant on the ground floor, open to all passengers, and Delta’s Sky Club lounge on the mezzanine level.

More renderings and writings:

https://austin.curbed.com/2018/9/26/17907272/austin-airport-expansion-design-terminal

They should've never went away from Larry Speck & Page.

Not quite sure how this is going to work out:
https://www.statesman.com/news/20181119/ride-hailing-taxi-pickup-spot-at-airport-moved-to-new-spot
Ride-hailing, taxi pickup spot at airport moved to new spot
Philip Jankowski  
Posted Nov 19, 2018 at 2:09 PM 
Many of those at the end of their journey to Austin at the airport will now have to add another leg to their trip: a 600-foot walk.
That’s because officials at the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport on Monday changed the pickup location for all ride-hailing and taxis from just outside of the airport’s main terminal to the rental car facility.
Airport spokesman Derick Hackett said the change was needed to relieve congestion on Presidential Boulevard along the main terminal on the bottom level of the street, where cars can stack up while drivers weave in and out of four lanes of traffic to pick up recent arrivals.
“We were looking at a way to reduce congestion at the Barbara Jordan Terminal,” Hackett said. “This was a solution that we looked at and thought it would be a win.”
The move will reduce the amount of vehicle trips along that stretch of road by an estimated 3,700 cars per day, airport officials said in a statement Monday. The effect on traffic is not fully clear because Austin-Bergstrom International Airport does not track the total number of vehicle trips to the airport each day. Taxis and ride-hailing services can still drop passengers off at the terminal.
To get to the new pickup spot from baggage claim, recent arrivals have to walk across Presidential Boulevard to the adjacent parking garage, take an elevator to the second level, walk along a pathway found in the center of the garage and cross another street to enter the rental facility. There, pickup spots for taxis and ride-hailing services will are marked with color-coded lanes.
The airport also has vehicles in place at the parking garage to take passengers with mobility issues to the new pickup spot.
“The way this is set up is pretty common in airports that have very high efficiency,” Hackett said.

I used the new setup yesterday (arrival) and it's pretty simple/easy. The driver said they'd had some trouble earlier in the day figuring out how/where to enter the garage pickup area.

As a passenger returning home from a trip it was easy. When setting your pickup location you just select whichever color-coded pillar you want to wait by.

3 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

I used the new setup yesterday (arrival) and it's pretty simple/easy. The driver said they'd had some trouble earlier in the day figuring out how/where to enter the garage pickup area.

As a passenger returning home from a trip it was easy. When setting your pickup location you just select whichever color-coded pillar you want to wait by.

Same. We got back in town at midnight last night. It was a little bit more of a walk but it was faster in and out once we were in the car. 

4 hours ago, LebongJames said:

... but the walkway of ABIA is way to narrow and when a non Southwest plane is about to take off they completely block the walkway.

Get off my lawn. Gif 

I want to murder all the fucking idiots in group 7 who crowd up in front of the boarding area and back the whole thing up into the walkway. It's not a phenomena unique to AUS. Airports are a consistent reminder that we are long overdue for a good plague.  

• Like 1

Sounds like a similar system to SEA. It works pretty well there. They need to do something to alleviate traffic on the arrivals level so this is a step in the right direction.

When I pickup people now I tell them to go upstairs to the departure level and pick them up there. Downstairs arrivals is a cluster.

47 minutes ago, Homercles said:

When I pickup people now I tell them to go upstairs to the departure level and pick them up there. Downstairs arrivals is a cluster.

Fuck that, I tell them to walk out to the El Tenampa Bar on Ben White and I suck down a few Modelos while they get their ass over to me and my car.  

Actually when it is horrifically crowded, my wife will zip up to top of rental car area, grab me, and we zip out...avoiding most of the terminal madness and you can get out free still if you complain about the construction cones and lack of quality pained road signage and can prove you were just in there...confused...for 7 minutes.  

Just got back from ABIA-- I do like that the rental car terminal is on site and not a tram or bus ride away, but I don't like the airports that make you hike somewhere to get to an Uber (Seattle, Atlanta, etc.).
Also, was disappointed that my terminal maps and google said that ABIA had a Maudie's but really only had a lame wine bars a Thundercloud and a Taco Deli (barf).
Maudie's and Amy's are being renovated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I curse that Italian place down by United.  Food is fine, but who the fuck thought that giant fucking footprint that allows for a 2 foot wide aisle can eat a bag of taints.  

we flew out Monday morning on American and went to the security on the right. 

Signs said 10-15 minutes from this point. As we walked up a tsa jackass informed us we needed to go to the other line as it's much faster. So we walked over to the one on the left and the line extended all the way past the sw check in area and took 25 minutes to get through, and then had to walk to our gate, which was right next to where the other security let out. Thanks dickhole.

we flew out Monday morning on American and went to the security on the right.  Signs said 10-15 minutes from this point. As we walked up a tsa jackass informed us we needed to go to the other line as it's much faster. So we walked over to the one on the left and the line extended all the way past the sw check in area and took 25 minutes to get through, and then had to walk to our gate, which was right next to where the other security let out. Thanks dickhole.

They do that all the time. If you have any status whatsoever tell them that and go to the far right preferred line. If you are precheck the will then send you to the precheck scanner after checking your ID.

It’s a sneaky way to cut the precheck line also. I do it every week now.