ABIA Expansion Thread

Pasken

On 7/10/2023 at 8:00 PM, YGIFS said:

Yeah, for a city promising us light rail direct to the airport from the CBD, and the innovative autonomous vehicle hub of North America.............we are sure building a fuck-ton of parking garages out there when we should be focusing on ingress/egress and gates.  Also that underground tunnel is gonna be a fucking disaster for apron/taxi traffic for 3 years.  They may as well build it elevated to connect the two concourses with gradual escalators on each end to get well above wide-bodied equipment.  

Anyway, follow Ray Brimble's String Theory when he gets to aviation facilities construction and our fair city (he does stuff all over the world but is based here).  He's got some great insight into this next comedy of errors.

Comparing it to the MoPac fiasco?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/6/2023 at 8:06 AM, dieucla98 said:

Cool visual of all the work upcoming at ABIA:

On 7/9/2023 at 3:18 PM, swraith said:

Is there an associated timeline for this? 

Sounds like the concourse tunnel start is imminent? I wasn’t listening totally but covered on KUT this morning. 

The west expansion is well underway. They've blocked off the end gates and added a stringer gate as a temp replacement. I was looking for evidence of the new terminal work but couldn't see any. Granted, if the tunnel is first then seeing evidence of it would be more of a challenge. 

5 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

The west expansion is well underway. They've blocked off the end gates and added a stringer gate as a temp replacement. I was looking for evidence of the new terminal work but couldn't see any. Granted, if the tunnel is first then seeing evidence of it would be more of a challenge. 

I couldn’t tell if it’s started they had a spokesperson talking about how complex the project is. 2030 was estimated completion now that I think about it. Garage demo, tunnel, new concourse I think they said.

• Hook 'Em 1

Garage demo is going to make parking more of a nightmare... I assume that's to make way to expand the non-secure portion of the airport. It's desperately needed as the checkin/security area is probably the most congested part of the whole airport.

11 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Garage demo is going to make parking more of a nightmare... I assume that's to make way to expand the non-secure portion of the airport. It's desperately needed as the checkin/security area is probably the most congested part of the whole airport.

Yes looking at that video. Then later another garage. Sadly we live so far away we have to drive and park. Plus ride share is so far away it’s dumb.

• 2 months later...
23 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Seems like it would be more cost effective to just go with the "ultimate" layout in the bottom image while you're building everything else.  So, we won't do that.

Planning and infrastructure aren’t in the DNA of the City of Austin. This expansion should have broken ground five years ago and not one shovelful of dirt has been turned yet.

• Hook 'Em 1