My LSU @ Texas Analysis: The Overview

sushihorn

9 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i can absolutely assure you we’ll be ready and not be taking this game lightly. we’ll show up and play like our ass is on fire.

it seems as if a few of you are relying on us coming out half-ass and cocky. if you are one of those, you’re going to be sorely disappointed.

you’ll get our best, rest assured.

I also assure you that, if Texas wins, that will not be the ESPN narrative.  I'm not saying that would be your take but it will be the national media's.  They will come up w/ some great excuse as to why the SEC lost a high profile game against the B12.

• Like 1

i liked this for sport, but yes, it has been heard, in september.
That's awesome if so! Dumbest excuse ever. NFL GMs would like to know this.
It’s Herman MO that we will lose against LaTech and then destroy LSU. I really hope he figures out how to win the big games and the little games this year.
No kidding.

10 hours ago, markstanco said:
12 hours ago, OU Sucks said:
Given the past 2 years, let's just assume we'll lose to LaTech and if we win, we'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm hoping the team isnt trying as hard as last year.

No Pizza breaks during the 3rd Q

• Like 1

I think the UGA comparison is apt. They're bigger and stronger than Texas. They have to be, because they were designed to compete with 'bama. If both teams stood still on the field and played 1970's NFL style ball, LSU would win by 2 TDs.

Of course, that's not what's going to happen. Texas moves. A lot. On offense and defense. Watch the Sugar Bowl replay and see how often Georgia's defense lined up and just waited. You're basically giving Sam and Shack time to find your weakness (every defensive scheme has them). Success wasn't guaranteed because football plays are still won by players winning battles, but it allowed Texas to maximize its chance for success on any given play.

Conversely, on defense, Texas never showed its true intention before the snap. If they did that, Big 12 offenses would shred them. A couple of large DL would drop anchor, an edge rusher would move around, and 8 other speedy guys would find some gaps to stand near. At the snap, or just before, everyone starts moving. Both the OL and QB will need to find their schemes in real time.

I was afraid that UGA's OL was simply going to be able to dictate terms irrespective of Texas' schemes. Early miscues trashed that game plan (if it were ever there), and they couldn't adapt to Plan B against an inscrutable Texas defense. LSU was very one-dimensional last season, largely by necessity. They have hopes of adding a more dangerous passing game this season, so we'll see how that progresses. The Texas secondary is a tough school to learn in, though.

It's the offseason, so anything's possible. Also, an OL doesn't play on paper. They only show their mettle when beaten on by a hostile defense. However, if Cosmi and Braun hold down the left side like I'm thinking, Sam could have Colt and Vince levels of time behind that line. When that happens, football becomes really easy for the rest of the team.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i can absolutely assure you we’ll be ready and not be taking this game lightly. we’ll show up and play like our ass is on fire.

it seems as if a few of you are relying on us coming out half-ass and cocky. if you are one of those, you’re going to be sorely disappointed.

you’ll get our best, rest assured.

Your players’ Twitter accounts say differently. I bet more than a couple players discount the Sugar Bowl because their own success against UGA, and walk into Austin unprepared for getting hit in the mouth. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

In fairness, USC absolutely smoked Texas in the co-ed game. It's not like Texas brought out the scrubs for that game, in fact they brought it strong. However, the USC coed lineup was just too strong top to bottom.

I'm hoping for a similar result vs LSU with Texas just edging them out for the win.

I expect a very close game. LSU may not be USC, but they bring a lot of talent to the matchup.

Goddamn 7% rule is putting a huge dent in our co-ed recruiting.

3 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

How much of an effect is LSU's offensive change going to have in game #2?   

I think it's safe to assume they aren't going to put much on film in their first game against Georgia Southern, so really we're going to be their first game with the new offense. Refer to our season opener against ND in 2015 when we debuted our new up-tempo, high powered offense for an example of how well that typically works out. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

I think it's safe to assume they aren't going to put much on film in their first game against Georgia Southern, so really we're going to be their first game with the new offense. Refer to our season opener against ND in 2015 when we debuted our new up-tempo, high powered offense for an example of how well that typically works out.  

Hey it worked alright the next year when we actually had a QB who could run the fancy new offense (and the DC on the other side was Brian Van Gorder)

Edited by texifornia

9 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

I think the UGA comparison is apt. They're bigger and stronger than Texas. They have to be, because they were designed to compete with 'bama. If both teams stood still on the field and played 1970's NFL style ball, LSU would win by 2 TDs.

Of course, that's not what's going to happen. Texas moves. A lot. On offense and defense. Watch the Sugar Bowl replay and see how often Georgia's defense lined up and just waited. You're basically giving Sam and Shack time to find your weakness (every defensive scheme has them). Success wasn't guaranteed because football plays are still won by players winning battles, but it allowed Texas to maximize its chance for success on any given play.

Conversely, on defense, Texas never showed its true intention before the snap. If they did that, Big 12 offenses would shred them. A couple of large DL would drop anchor, an edge rusher would move around, and 8 other speedy guys would find some gaps to stand near. At the snap, or just before, everyone starts moving. Both the OL and QB will need to find their schemes in real time.

I was afraid that UGA's OL was simply going to be able to dictate terms irrespective of Texas' schemes. Early miscues trashed that game plan (if it were ever there), and they couldn't adapt to Plan B against an inscrutable Texas defense. LSU was very one-dimensional last season, largely by necessity. They have hopes of adding a more dangerous passing game this season, so we'll see how that progresses. The Texas secondary is a tough school to learn in, though.

It's the offseason, so anything's possible. Also, an OL doesn't play on paper. They only show their mettle when beaten on by a hostile defense. However, if Cosmi and Braun hold down the left side like I'm thinking, Sam could have Colt and Vince levels of time behind that line. When that happens, football becomes really easy for the rest of the team.

It's Fatball(TM) par excellence.  The problem is that they are trying to counter Bama's defense from 5-10 years ago.  It's like nobody noticed that Saban just jammed up the interior running lanes using a 290 lb DT.  Did anybody notice that Texas stuffed a much better running game than LSU's with a front four weighing 255-310-275-245?  Georgia had a quicker and more athletic line than LSU does.  They were also even bigger: 340-320-308-335-330.  None of that helped them much.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 2:10 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

How much of an effect is LSU's offensive change going to have in game #2?   

LSU has gone into every season of the past decade with a "new offense" with the same success as Mack Brown's switch to the Bammer offense.  I will believe it when I see it. 

I think they have superior talent and inferior coaching.  Yeah, they got a great coach from the Saints, but that won't matter when the Neanderthal has his say on how the O supports his D.  I feel pretty good about beating LSU.

On 7/22/2019 at 9:36 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

we’re not Georgia, and of all the schools in our conference we’re the least of the “SEC” homers. we don’t give a single half-fuck about anyone in the SEC but us. let them all lose...we’ll laugh our asses off.

and we take all out of conference P5 opponents we can, and our history proves that.

tee it up...it’s time to party.

This & the fact y'all picked up where we left off on going balls deep on aggy..  Bayou Bengals are good in my book.

I think lost in the "LSU new offense" hype is that in many ways Texas is ushering in a new offense as well. UT really ran Herman's O in latter part of season (OU onwards) and Sam in year 3 will have a much different scope of plays to call and the speed on offense is far greater than the last two seasons.

The O line will finally truly be a strength, tremendous speed at RB and in Slot. Texas O will be dynamic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

LSU is coached by a mumbling regard, and their offense is one dimensional. I expect Herman and the team to beat the shit out of them. Their defense is good, but UCF almost beat them with a backup QB. Sam will curb stomp their pussies. 

Fuck yea. Let's go! 

7 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

LSU is coached by a mumbling regard, and their offense is one dimensional. I expect Herman and the team to beat the shit out of them. Their defense is good, but UCF almost beat them with a backup QB. Sam will curb stomp their pussies. 

I like the cut of your jib.

On 7/22/2019 at 3:35 PM, sushihorn said:

One correction (addition really).  The list of extremely talented teams that Texas has faced recently should also include USC.  The 2018 Trojans feautured the #4, #4, #10 and #2 recruiting classes in the nation and also were dominated by Tom Herman's Longhorns.  The 2017 Trojans needed OT to pull it out against a much younger and less talented Texas squad. 

Superior talent and ordinary schemes are not a formula for success against Herman-coached football teams. LSU has a small talent edge and a frankly poor offensive system.  It will take an extraordinary performance from their defense to overcome that.

Stop talking about the X's & O's, and talk about the Jimmy's & Joe's. 

Your whole "analysis" evolves around Orlando & "underdog" Herman scheming something up, but who's executing these schemes. 

How many new starters will Texas have on defense and offense?

How do you know what LSU offensive systems is? 

How will Texas OL hold up against an experienced defensive front 7?

Defensively, how many players will Texas commit to the box to stop the run?

How will LSU neutralize Sam Ehlinger as a run threat? 

How will Texas' inexperienced CBs matchup with LSU's veteran WR corp? Will Texas go zone or man?

• Fuck You 7

8 minutes ago, Kelevra said:

Your whole "analysis" evolves around Orlando & "underdog" Herman scheming something up, but who's executing these schemes. 

How will Texas' inexperienced CBs matchup with LSU's veteran WR corp? Will Texas go zone or man?

Texas dominated UGA and only beat them by 7 pts, while LSU dominated UGA and beat them by 20 pts. Why is that?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 9

8 minutes ago, Kelevra said:

Texas dominated UGA and only beat them by 7 pts, while LSU dominated UGA and beat them by 20 pts. Why is that?

All right. I'll say it. 'Cause Truman was too much of a *pussy wimp* to let MacArthur go in there and blow out those Commie bastards!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Kelevra said:

That would be because Texas said "fuck it, who cares? We got this in the bag."

At no point in the entirety of the game did Georgia have control of anything. Tom gave up mercy points because he already knew we were done. Don't be obtuse, and also butt hurt. 

• Like 1

The Texas/UGA game was a classic, but wasn't played that way. UGA made a LOT of mistakes in the 1st quarter that forced them into a different game than they wanted.

Be fair, though, Texas had a great deal to do with those "mistakes". They didn't occur in a vacuum.

The final margin is indicative of the fact that Herman rightly still did not trust his offense. On this, he and I agree. He had a dangerous opponent that lacked the ability to score quickly on the ropes. He chose to ride the fortune earned in the 1st half through the 4th quarter by playing smart possession ball and not risk giving UGA easy points.

It was the same strategy attempted against OU. The difference is that OU can (and did) score quickly. Texas caught a series of bad breaks and the Sooners capitalized on each one instantly (Sooner Magic isn't just a catch phrase). They certainly had the talent and firepower to do it. Fortunately for Texas, we got one last opportunity.

Unlike the Sooner game, the UGA game was never in serious doubt.

• Like 4

Way too much confidence and orange koolaid In this game.  The game comes down to defense and LSUs is better than ours. Point blank. Our guys are studs but they are all green and new and we always look like straight dogshit the first few games of the year until we figure out how to unfuck ourselves.  As the season wore on last year we were tops in the country but we started off struggling with Tulsa.  If the lsU game is 6-7 games in I’d feel better. But second game of the year with a bunch of brand new defenders and our inability to close out anything leaves me less confident than you guys. Unless we put 100 on la tech 

• Like 2

Way too much confidence and orange koolaid In this game.  The game comes down to defense and LSUs is better than ours. Point blank. Our guys are studs but they are all green and new and we always look like straight dogshit the first few games of the year until we figure out how to unfuck ourselves.  As the season wore on last year we were tops in the country but we started off struggling with Tulsa.  If the lsU game is 6-7 games in I’d feel better. But second game of the year with a bunch of brand new defenders and our inability to close out anything leaves me less confident than you guys. Unless we put 100 on la tech 

821164fd-c364-411c-af0e-7e4960778ab7_text.gif
  • Like 4

On 7/22/2019 at 4:00 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

we have our fair share on early watch lists, too.  for example, all 4 starting linebackers made the Butkus Award watch list.  Jefferson is on the Biletnikoff list, Cushenberry is on the Rimmington, Burrow and CEH on the Maxwell, Delpit and Fulton on the Bednarik (as well as both making CFN's preseason first team AA list).

so if that's your criteria for watering panties, we're doing okay.

I don't believe any of these cats are coonass legends without any o's, u's, or x's in their names.

23 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Coward.

27 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

It's fine not to be totally confident (I'm not) but we shouldn't base our opinion on what the team looks like against La Tech, either way.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I understand where you are coming from.  Let me offer a counterpoint.  Texas had a ton of question marks on defense going into the 2018 season.  Yet in the 3rd game of that season the Horns held one of the most talented teams in the country - USC to NEGATIVE rushing yardage.  The Trojans were a better team on paper than LSU.  They also run a similarly obsolescent offensive scheme. Todd Orlando feasts on those kinds of offenses, see also Iowa State, TCU, Georgia, Mizzou.  What causes Orlando trouble are spread passing teams with really good QBs.

Yes, LSU has a better defensive system than USC.  That's really the one thing that impresses me and is a genuine cause for concern.  Are they so good they can hold the Texas offense under 20 points?  It seems unlikely as only KSU managed that last year and the Longhorns' average was over 31 PPG. 

• Like 3

As much as anything mentioned about this game, talent and scheme and all, the most salient fact for me is LSU's pathetic 2018 record on the road, The fuckers played eight games at home and only four on the road. Of those four, they had two wins - squeaking by Arkysaw and Aubrun and losing o Florida and aTm(!). It's pretty clear Corch O had a problem last season leaving home, and I'm pretty fucking certain that problem will continue.

No offense to y'all Tigah fans, but y'all either dreaming or high af if you're seriously expecting to leave Austin with a W.

Even agi will laugh at you.

• Like 1