My LSU @ Texas Analysis: The Overview

sushihorn

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

I'm a little surprised at that.  LSU has always run a 1-gap scheme up front and the entire point of that is to penetrate those gaps.  They didn't do badly in creating sacks last season and were pretty good at generating TFLs also.  If I were Orgeron changing the play of the OL would be a MUCH higher priority than that of the DL.

This may have been discussed, but next year at LSU, will be interesting to us in Orange on the road.   LSU wears white at home.

If I remember right, the purple jerseys are traditionally worn for non-conference hone games that aren't the home opener. They pregame Texas with UTSA next year so we should be in the stormtroopers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If I remember right, the purple jerseys are traditionally worn for non-conference hone games that aren't the home opener. They pregame Texas with UTSA next year so we should be in the stormtroopers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

correct in stating that first home game of the year we always wear white regardless of opponent.

jersey color is negotiated in the contract for our OOC opponents.  basically, if an OOC wants to play in Tiger Stadium, then the terms are usually us wearing white unless we agree otherwise.  and "otherwise" is usually once per year when playing lesser opponents.

4 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

correct in stating that first home game of the year we always wear white regardless of opponent.

jersey color is negotiated in the contract for our OOC opponents.  basically, if an OOC wants to play in Tiger Stadium, then the terms are usually us wearing white unless we agree otherwise.  and "otherwise" is usually once per year when playing lesser opponents.

I was mistaken, LSU does wears White at home but only for SEC home games. 

14 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

wrong again...

f855685b515670ffac6bef6fee718de8_w200.gif

White Jerseys - LSU is notable as one of the few college football teams that wears white jerseys for home games as opposed to their darker jerseys (in their case, purple). Most other NCAA football teams wear their darker jerseys in home games, even though football is one of the few college sports that do not require a specific jersey type for each respective team (for instance, college basketballrequires home teams to wear white or light-colored jerseys while the away team wears their darker jerseys), and is similar to the NFL in letting the home team decide what to wear.

The tradition started in 1958, when Coach Paul Dietzel decided that LSU would wear white jerseys for home games. Another story is the tradition first started when Dietzel had LSU wear white at home for good luck against a ranked Georgia Tech team in 1957 because Georgia Tech's team had long been known for wearing white at home. LSU won the game and he continued that tradition for the 1958 season and LSU went on to win the national championship that year. Since the 1958 championship season, LSU continued to wear white jerseys at home games through the 18-year tenure of Charles McClendon. Then in 1983, new NCAA rules prohibited teams from wearing white jerseys at home. Because of this, LSU wore purple jerseys during home games from 1983 to 1994. The team's fans believed wearing purple jerseys were "bad luck" and often complained about being forced to wear purple jerseys at home although LSU won SEC championships in 1986 and 1988 wearing purple at home. In 1993, then-coach Curley Hallman asked the NCAA for permission to wear white jerseys at home during LSU's football centennial, but was turned down.

In 1995, LSU's new coach, Gerry DiNardo, was determined to restore LSU's tradition of white home jerseys. DiNardo personally met with each member of the NCAA Football Rules Committee, lobbying LSU's case. DiNardo was successful, and LSU again began wearing white jerseys at home when the 1995 season began. In LSU's first home game with the white jerseys, unranked LSU prevailed in a 12–6 upset victory over #6 Auburn.

The 1995 rule allowing LSU to wear white at home had one stipulation: the visiting team must agree for conference and non-conference games. In 1997, the SEC amended its rule to allow the home team its choice of jersey color for conference games without prior approval of the visiting team. Therefore, only for non-conference home games does the home team seek permission to wear white jerseys at home. In 2009, the NCAA further relaxed the previous rule that required most away teams to wear white. The rule now states that teams must simply wear contrasting colors.[33]

After the 1995 rule change, on two occasions LSU was forced to wear colored jerseys at home. The first time was in 1996 against Vanderbilt, who was still angry at LSU for hiring Gerry DiNardo, who left Vanderbilt to become LSU's head coach after the 1994 season. LSU wore gold jerseys for that game (a 35–0 LSU victory), and fans were encouraged to wear white in an effort to "white out" the Commodores. The other was in 2004 when Oregon State did not want to suffer in its black jerseys due to the humid weather of Louisiana in late summer, thus forcing LSU to wear its purple jerseys for a nationally televised game on ESPN.

After the 1995 rule change, LSU was forced to wear colored jerseys on the road on four occasions. In 1998 and 2000, Florida coach Steve Spurrierexercised this option and forced LSU to don a colored jersey at Gainesville. The Tigers wore gold in 1998 under Gerry DiNardo (lost 22–10) and purple in 2000 under Nick Saban (lost 41–9). In 2007 and 2009, LSU also wore its purple jerseys on the road at Mississippi State, but the Tigers emerged victorious both times (45–0 in 2007 and 30–26 in 2009). Prior to the rule change, in 1978 LSU lost to Mississippi State in Jackson, Mississippi wearing purple jerseys.

Currently, LSU does not wear the traditional white jerseys for every home game. LSU only wears white jerseys for the home opener and for home games against SEC opponents. For non-SEC home games other than the home opener, LSU wears purple jerseys at home.

White Jerseys - LSU is notable as one of the few college football teams that wears white jerseys for home games as opposed to their darker jerseys (in their case, purple). Most other NCAA football teams wear their darker jerseys in home games, even though football is one of the few college sports that do not require a specific jersey type for each respective team (for instance, college basketballrequires home teams to wear white or light-colored jerseys while the away team wears their darker jerseys), and is similar to the NFL in letting the home team decide what to wear.

The tradition started in 1958, when Coach Paul Dietzel decided that LSU would wear white jerseys for home games. Another story is the tradition first started when Dietzel had LSU wear white at home for good luck against a ranked Georgia Tech team in 1957 because Georgia Tech's team had long been known for wearing white at home. LSU won the game and he continued that tradition for the 1958 season and LSU went on to win the national championship that year. Since the 1958 championship season, LSU continued to wear white jerseys at home games through the 18-year tenure of Charles McClendon. Then in 1983, new NCAA rules prohibited teams from wearing white jerseys at home. Because of this, LSU wore purple jerseys during home games from 1983 to 1994. The team's fans believed wearing purple jerseys were "bad luck" and often complained about being forced to wear purple jerseys at home although LSU won SEC championships in 1986 and 1988 wearing purple at home. In 1993, then-coach Curley Hallman asked the NCAA for permission to wear white jerseys at home during LSU's football centennial, but was turned down.

In 1995, LSU's new coach, Gerry DiNardo, was determined to restore LSU's tradition of white home jerseys. DiNardo personally met with each member of the NCAA Football Rules Committee, lobbying LSU's case. DiNardo was successful, and LSU again began wearing white jerseys at home when the 1995 season began. In LSU's first home game with the white jerseys, unranked LSU prevailed in a 12–6 upset victory over #6 Auburn.

The 1995 rule allowing LSU to wear white at home had one stipulation: the visiting team must agree for conference and non-conference games. In 1997, the SEC amended its rule to allow the home team its choice of jersey color for conference games without prior approval of the visiting team. Therefore, only for non-conference home games does the home team seek permission to wear white jerseys at home. In 2009, the NCAA further relaxed the previous rule that required most away teams to wear white. The rule now states that teams must simply wear contrasting colors.[33]

After the 1995 rule change, on two occasions LSU was forced to wear colored jerseys at home. The first time was in 1996 against Vanderbilt, who was still angry at LSU for hiring Gerry DiNardo, who left Vanderbilt to become LSU's head coach after the 1994 season. LSU wore gold jerseys for that game (a 35–0 LSU victory), and fans were encouraged to wear white in an effort to "white out" the Commodores. The other was in 2004 when Oregon State did not want to suffer in its black jerseys due to the humid weather of Louisiana in late summer, thus forcing LSU to wear its purple jerseys for a nationally televised game on ESPN.

After the 1995 rule change, LSU was forced to wear colored jerseys on the road on four occasions. In 1998 and 2000, Florida coach Steve Spurrierexercised this option and forced LSU to don a colored jersey at Gainesville. The Tigers wore gold in 1998 under Gerry DiNardo (lost 22–10) and purple in 2000 under Nick Saban (lost 41–9). In 2007 and 2009, LSU also wore its purple jerseys on the road at Mississippi State, but the Tigers emerged victorious both times (45–0 in 2007 and 30–26 in 2009). Prior to the rule change, in 1978 LSU lost to Mississippi State in Jackson, Mississippi wearing purple jerseys.

Currently, LSU does not wear the traditional white jerseys for every home game. LSU only wears white jerseys for the home opener and for home games against SEC opponents. For non-SEC home games other than the home opener, LSU wears purple jerseys at home.

this is wrong...

10 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

lemme help you out...

vs Syracuse (ACC) in 2017...2nd home game of the year

lsu-guice-td-syracuse-960x693.jpg

vs UW (Pac 12) in 2012...second home game of the year

maxresdefault.jpg

vs Rice (Conf USA) last year...seventh home game of the year

5d011beeece10.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C866

seeing a pattern yet?

“This may have been discussed, but next year at LSU, will be interesting to us in Orange on the road.   LSU wears white at home.”

Let me help you out since you’re a little slow. Above was my Original post until you started fucking up your responses.  

LSU wears white at home for non-con and conf games, though they appear to change it up quite a bit. 

Edited by jdhorn92

“This may have been discussed, but next year at LSU, will be interesting to us in Orange on the road.   LSU wears white at home.”

Let me help you out since you’re a little slow. Above was my Original post until you started fucking up your responses. 

i never disagreed with that, though it is technically wrong given we wear purple one game a year...occasionally smattering in an alternate uniform in addition to the one purple uni game.

i disagreed with your statements i quoted above, such as the one in the article. and i did so because you, and ipso facto the article, are wrong.

I was at the cotton bowl following the 2002 season where we played LSU.  LSU finished the season technically ranked higher than us in the BCS, thus making them the “home” team, but we got to wear our orange jerseys anyway because LSU elected to wear white (as the home team).  Fun day.  I’d expect them to do the same next year at home, but it’d be cool to see them in purple for a change.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:33 AM, Kelevra said:

TEXAS SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN LIMITED BY KSU.

Look, all I'm saying is most good teams try to protect a second half lead by RUNNING the ball. It kills the clock while keeping the defense fresh. 

All I'm saying is that Texas was unable to do that against KSU. Again, it was a 19 - 14 game with 10 min. in the 4th quarter.  

you went to 7 OTs with 4 loss Aggy, what the hell are you talking about?

On 7/27/2019 at 12:19 PM, Kelevra said:

Lol. You're not going to answer the question?

Outside of Ark, all these teams were ranked last season. But hey.

A&M was the only loss.

Congrats, you just identified why the SEC conference strength is a joke.  None of those teams had any reason for being ranked at any point last season other than biased pre-season rankings.  Your Georgia win was a huge upset (5TOs) and that combined with the overall weak ass SEC allowed you to parade around as a powerhouse while only beating one solid but shitty Florida team that was allergic to offense. 

Then you lucked out in the bowl matchup against the back up QB.  There was not a bigger paper tiger in the NCAA last year than LSU

The rant has LSU win percentage at 85% and the majority think it will be by double digits. 

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/win-probability-via-trant-lsu-vs-texas---win-percent-lsu-85---spread-lsu--125/84827900/

If the D can't shut down Texas, they have no chance in a shootout...same as last year

28 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Congrats, you just identified why the SEC conference strength is a joke.  None of those teams had any reason for being ranked at any point last season other than biased pre-season rankings.  Your Georgia win was a huge upset (5TOs) and that combined with the overall weak ass SEC allowed you to parade around as a powerhouse while only beating one solid but shitty Florida team that was allergic to offense. 

Then you lucked out in the bowl matchup against the back up QB.  There was not a bigger paper tiger in the NCAA last year than LSU

1) We are also allergic to Gluten, thank you

2) They played in the national championship game, just ask The Golden Knights (they beat Auburn once!)

• 4 months later...
Observations are based on last season and a bit of their spring game.  I've been working on this in my spare time for a couple of months.  The detailed unit breakdowns are not done yet but I wanted to drop this now since surly seems to be getting antsy with peak offseason in effect.
====================================

LSU has some excellent athletes but not much better than Texas overall.  Starting with the 2019 recruiting class, LSU was ranked #5, #15, #7 and #2 nationally.  The Horns will field the #3, #3, #25 and #7 classes so their talent will be comparable but younger.  I have to give LSU the edge here because their upperclassmen are very highly rated and their DEVELOPED talent will be superior.

But the SCHEMES are very different and the most relevant comparison of players probably isn’t LSU v Texas but LSU v UGa.  From the 30,000 foot view those programs are very similar.  LSU’s recruiting is excellent but clearly below Georgia’s (#1, #3, #6 and #6 classes as of the 2019 Sugar Bowl).  Both run pretty conservative run-centric offenses with enormous offensive lines.  Georgia has more athletic OL and a much better passer at QB; Burrow’s mobility can only partially offset that.  The Bulldogs also had REALLY good RBs; LSU is good there but not in the same class.  WRs are a wash.  I’ll detail these areas in the breakdown of the offense. 

The bottom line here is that LSU’s offense is much less dangerous than that of UGa.. The only area of advantage is the QB’s ability to make some off schedule plays with his feet.  We have a fantastic defensive coordinator who majors in shutting down one-dimensional offensive schemes and LSU is a textbook example of that.  Their offense is not something to be greatly feared. 

The defense is really LSU’s calling card.  Their DC is outstanding and they can be VERY disruptive at times.  While they may have less talent on paper than Georgia, I expect them to do a better job of stopping drives.  LSU’s D creates a lot of sacks, TFLs and turnovers.  It’s the last that concerns me the most because turnovers and field position can make their pedestrian offense look effective.  For example the Tigers scored 36 points on Georgia but they needed a massive win in TO margin (+4) to do it.

The defense is very dangerous to LSU’s opponents and somewhat dangerous to themselves as their risk taking also means they give up big plays.  That risk-taking and high variance in possible results makes the range of potential outcomes much wider and the most likely result is less predictable than was the case against Georgia’s read and react style of D.  If LSU goes +4 in TO margin and doesn’t give up multiple big plays they win going away like they did against UGa.  For you stat geeks, I’d characterize LSU as a somewhat lower mean with a significantly higher standard deviation then UGa.  If they don’t get big plays from their defense and ST, I expect a comfortable Texas win.  If turnovers and the kicking game are fairly even, I expect a close win for the Longhorns.

People will say that the Longhorns have not seen this level of talent and technically they’d be right outside of the Sugar Bowl.  What those people ignore is that Texas has seen equal or better schemes on the defensive side of the ball from TCU and ISU.  The Horns have seen FAR superior schemes on the offensive side of the ball – often executed with near the same level of athletes. But the reverse is far from true.  Aranda himself is probably the only DC in the SEC who comes close to Todd Orlando’s level in terms of disguising coverages and blitz packages.  And no one in the SEC combines a highly accurate passer with a power spread ground game.

For me the bottom line is that LSU is not as good a team as Georgia but they have the potential to be more dangerous because they are more disruptive on defense.  Texas dominated UGa because of +2 in turnovers but probably wins a close game in a zero margin scenario.  The Horns have a better set up against LSU, especially adding in the home field.  This game is Texas’ to win but they need to avoid multiple turnovers (or have the Horn’s defense match them) to make that potential a reality. 

ttt because i’m reminiscing on this season and remembered this blow hard, completely full of shit, know-nothing, bullshitter who continues to deserve the ridicule i and a few others gave him back then.

and there are 47 of you who approved of this bloviation.

oh sushihorn, sushihorn, wherefore art thou, sushihorn? please, tell us more! enlighten us, oh font of football knowledge!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

ttt because i’m reminiscing on this season and remembered this blow hard, completely full of shit, know-nothing, bullshitter who continues to deserve the ridicule i and a few others gave him back then.

and there are 47 of you who approved of this bloviation.

oh sushihorn, sushihorn, wherefore art thou, sushihorn? please, tell us more! enlighten us, oh font of football knowledge!

It's sushihorn...he also predicted the end times in the market ~2011 or 2012.  He generally applies a very intellectual analysis to things and almost always draws the wrong conclusion....it is known.  

Otherwise good luck with Clemson, I hope they kick the shit out of you.  

• Like 1

Wow, four months ago LSU scrapes out a one-score win after faking a bunch of bullshit cramp injuries and having their fucktard loser coach lie like a typical fucking Lousisana shitbag politican about mistreatment in the Memorial Stadium locker rooms to cover the fake cramping, and only now, when they're on their way to the CFP title game, does Kyrie decide to zombify this thread?  

That's some weak shit.  I like you Kyrie, which is why I expect more from you.

I did find it amusing though, when an Aggie went down with a cramp in front of the LSU crowd and they booed him.  I was assured by all the classy LSU fans that such a thing could never happen in Baton Rouge. 

LMGDMFSBAO.

• Haha 1