Surly Jazz Thread

Anton Chigurh

wow, never ventured over here but love this thread.  Love jazz and was a dummy band nerd in HS and starting college.  Some of this conversation is so familiar.  Remember conversations that all popular mus is wasn't "real" music.  Lot of debates of whether "legit" (classical) was as musical as jazz.  Soooooo narrow minded through most of HS and starting college.  Was a sax player and my go to was Coltrane with Joe Henderson thrown in amongst many others.  LOVED big band guys like Stan Kenton/Rob McConnell/Woody Herman/Dallas Jzz Orchestra and of course Maynard ,but that was always with the appropriate qualification.

Decided music wasn't going to be my career and started listening to tons more music and became less douchey in that regard.  

Apologies for getting to this thread late so if you see some likes and responses on old posts, that's why.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 8:33 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Good topic.  I know a bit about jazz, and played it in HS, but I'd like to learn a lot more.  I have a good collection of the classics, mostly 50s/60s bop, etc. (Davis, Coltrane and the like), but certain styles appeal to me more.

In particular, if anyone could recommend great options (both the recording and the performance) for these I'd appreciate it:

-- piano trio (piano, upright bass & drums)

-- big band (real firepower like Maynard Ferguson but without the histrionics)

this may satisfy this question and a new music question.  I got to study under Steve Wiest at UTA.  Have a couple of stories, but connected with him on FB a few years ago.  He has some crazy stories about Maynard but has also continued to teach and make music.  One of his projects is Vinyl Hampdin.  More vocals than traditional big band, but the music is pretty phenomenal.

Here's  a taste and link for more content.

https://www.vinylhampdin.com/

• Like 1

I'm not certain, but he's retiring from there and moving to Chicago to pursue retirement and more performance/writing type stuf.

He shares some really cool stories on FB.  This one is old but cool.  He LOVED Maynard.

Well...I got nostalgic with all the fun talk of My Main Man Mighty Maynard. So, here is an unusual gem for ya. In 1987, the recording "Live From San Francisco" that we released in 1983 was doing very well in Europe, so they invited the band to perform at The Berlin Jazz Festival. But at that time (1987), Maynard's band was a small fusion group called "High Voltage." So, for the Berlin Jazz Festival, he added myself, Tim Riese, Don Hahn and Wayne Bergeron to fill out a "big bandish" type sound from the 1983 record along with HV member Matt Wallace. This resulted in the infamous "Mullet Band" a one-off one-concert-only affair where we sort of wrote the horn charts as we went along.

I am reminded how, even in this spontaneous chart version how very fun it was to perform with this giant of a man. I never tired of playing "Gonna Fly Now" (1:10:52 on this video) always such an emotionally-charged tune, but here I got to really dig into it with our custom arrangement. And, as you can see, we had great fun the entire time. On the same billing that night was Gil Evans and Chick Corea. Meeting those two legends was truly awe-inspiring. Chick was waiting stage right and shook all of our hands as we walked off. WOW! I was in heaven!

Check out how Maynard calls me down for a brief solo at 26:29....MAN, does THAT bring back memories....every time he called me up front for a solo it sent the same chills down my spine...Maynard wants ME to play! Too much fun man.

Edited by pied
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 2:09 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

This is driving me nuts. I was going to post this anyway because Jerry Garcia did it all. He was like a cross between Earl Scruggs and John Coltrane. He and Howard Wales recorded a studio album but the one-off jam session that preceded it was far superior.

They’re quoting some song toward the end of this track (probably earlier too). I suck at remembering the names of instrumental songs. It’s not All Blues, that was my first thought, but it’s not even close. I know it’s something. I tried singing it to Shazam to see if that would turn up anything but I guess I suck at singing too. Listen to the whole thing because it’s a great jam and a good example of why Jerry was so unique. He could play rock and blues and jazz and country and bluegrass and funk and disco and play them all in one show without a prepared setlist. But this is just jazz. They’re definitely quoting a song I know at the 16:30 mark. What the hell is that?

I feel it’s got to be Miles. I tried a half dozen different albums. The problem is that as soon as I listen to one song, that tune gets stuck in my head and I have to keep going back to this track to refresh my memory on what I listening for. I’ll bet musicians don’t have that problem. 

It sounds a little like Milestones, which also happens to be used in Super Smash Bros.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got into Sons Of Kemet's "Your Queen is a Reptile" over the weekend.  

"Trailer" for the album:

This spoken word isn't on the actual album itself.

The album is pretty great, if you have not checked it out already.  A tuba takes the place of a stringed bass on this one.  And they sometimes channel dub and electronics into some of the songs.  It is on the chaotic side at times, so a full hour of it may be exhausting.  I listened to it in 'doses' and really enjoyed it.

This came up as their next one is available for pre-order ($30 dollar on Amazon, some $50 variant on VMP).

Song from the upcoming album:

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

I'm reading Ashley Kahn's book on the making of Kind Of Blue. Pretty nice read. I'm listening to multiple version of Kind Of Blue will reading (Pono 192K, Sony SACD stereo DSD files, Original 6 eye Mono needle drop rip, and 200 gram Classic needle drop rip).

• Hook 'Em 2

The Portico Quartet started their career busking in London, with an instrument called the "hang" that is just a fancy bowl turned upside down. After a few years the hang started to sound like a gimmick and they changed their sound to get more electronic but they did it in a bad way and now ten years later I don't really check them anymore but they really were good a while back.

Edited by trza-hawk

• 4 weeks later...

I had a major jazz phase in the 80's so most of my favorite stuff was from that era.  Here were some of my favorites.

This will melt the panties off any woman, i recommend John Klemmer Mosaic Album (greatest hits)  Just put in on and lay back and let your woman, or in Chads case, your man take care of you

John Klemmer - Touch

One of all time favs - Lee Ritenour "Is It You?"

Grover Washington Jr. - Mister Magic Live

Ronnie Laws - Couldn't find a live version of his biggest hit "Awake"  but on the second song "People Make the World Go Round"  you can see him live playing his famous tenor sax at a cool lakeside venue.  I would highly recommend his album "Solid Ground"

Solid Ground

One of all time favs - Lee Ritenour "Is It You?"

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Looking at what I got on my Jazz genre... Davis, Coltrane, and Mingus.

I dare any one to listen to Mingus' II B.S. or Hora Decubitus while driving and see if they can keep it down at the speed limit.

What? You mean you’re not into 80’s smooth jazz? Come on and get hip, man!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Happy to discover this thread after it got bumped.  I played jazz trombone for years through HS and college, and though I haven't played in years, my love for the form has stayed with me.

I haven't seen Brad Mehldau mentioned - I love his trio work.

The work he did in late 90s with Larry Grenadier and Jorge Rossy (who also play on Radiohead cover above) is his best, IMHO.  Full set:

Also a huge fan of Kenton (who I know has been covered here) - but this is among my favorite charts/recordings of all time, featuring a sublimely great trombone solo by Carl Fontana:

Edited by sasquatch69
  • Hook 'Em 1

One of my favorite MF songs from the Live in San Francisco album, but a different night. The keyboard solo at the beginning is great. Steve Wiest shared today an have his comments below. Thought some may enjoy. 

MAN! Where do I start with THIS one? So many beautiful things on this video at Bob Wackerman’s school:
1. This was the first piece that I wrote that was recorded professionally and released internationally with a major artist. STILL get chills to this day!
2. A wonderful lineup and iteration of Maynard’s band with Denny, Tim, Ray, Matt, Bob, and my bass bone brother-DELUXE Joe Barati!
3. BOSS!! He was having an “off night” on this one (which was far better than most human being’s “on nights”) and yet he still managed to make spectacular music without his go-to extreme upper-register arsenal. That being said, he still NAILED the Dubbas where they needed to be nailed! A true professional showman that I will forever be in awe of🙏❤️
4. Getting to swap fours with Boss. WOWZA! It was like playing catch with Zeus using lightning bolts!😳ALWAYS an education in musicality, execution, and showmanship…EVERY single time!
5. The pure joy of this era! Being on the road with ALL the versions of the MF band that I had the honor of being a part of, were pure magic, creativity and unbridled energy on stage…no matter what!! 
It is not hyperbole at all to say being with Boss has made me who I am today and given me the tools to become who I was meant to be. Thanks Boss!❤️
All of the above from this video! Thanks for posting it my friend!

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2021 at 12:34 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Got into Sons Of Kemet's "Your Queen is a Reptile" over the weekend.  

"Trailer" for the album:

This spoken word isn't on the actual album itself.

The album is pretty great, if you have not checked it out already.  A tuba takes the place of a stringed bass on this one.  And they sometimes channel dub and electronics into some of the songs.  It is on the chaotic side at times, so a full hour of it may be exhausting.  I listened to it in 'doses' and really enjoyed it.

This came up as their next one is available for pre-order ($30 dollar on Amazon, some $50 variant on VMP).

Song from the upcoming album:

The new Sons of Kemet album came out a few months ago and got great reviews. I'm a complete novice in the jazz land and I'm really enjoying the new album. A mixture of spoken word, singing and just instruments.

On 12/14/2021 at 9:26 AM, zman13 said:

The new Sons of Kemet album came out a few months ago and got great reviews. I'm a complete novice in the jazz land and I'm really enjoying the new album. A mixture of spoken word, singing and just instruments.

Huh, thought I posted about it on here, but maybe not.  I enjoyed it, got the vinyl.  But for some reason just haven't felt like playing it more than once or twice.  Didn't stick with me for whatever reason.

So, in my local terrestrial radio area the NPR station is HD, and there are two channels for the same station.  I found the second channel playing jazz.  Turns out it plays jazz all the time.  I thought maybe it was some national broadcast, but I finally heard the call letters the other day:

https://kmhd.org/

Plenty of streaming jazz stations out there.  But to hear it over the air in my car without subscribing to a satellite service, well that's pretty cool to me.  

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2022 at 10:19 PM, BoomMF said:

Went down a Weather Report rabbit hole and eventually came across this guy. Circular breathing is witchcraft.

In case you haven't:

Check out Rahsaan Roland Kirk. Not only did he do the circular breathing thing, but he’d play multiple instruments at once. He’d play two horns, he had a percussion kit, he even played the nose flute. And he was blind. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...