Surly Jazz Thread

Anton Chigurh

This weekend's listening sorted. 50s jazz played on a turntable is as God intended.
8c2ce16d710d7dc5d4254ca2ec2fa877.jpg

This one has been a little polarizing over on Steve Hoffman. IMO, Bernie tends to master things pretty flat and mostly as they were recorded, which let the shrill Harmon mute shine here.

I like mine. I have a decent Bergenfield 2nd pressing too, and the new one is a bit more clear and present.
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 1:07 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Heard a cover of this on the radio yesterday. I thought to myself, “Hey, that guitarist sounds like Wes Montgomery.” Turned out it was a cover of a Wes Montgomery tune.

Ok what radio station are you listening to that’s playing Wes Montgomery (covers)??? Can I pick it up in Houston?????

26 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Ok what radio station are you listening to that’s playing Wes Montgomery (covers)??? Can I pick it up in Houston?????

NPR. 90.5 WCBE here in Columbus. On Sundays they have four hours of jazz programming from 2-6 pm. Jazz Night in America at 2 pm, and then Jazz Sunday from 3-6 pm. That’s followed up by Sean Carney’s Inside Blues from 6-9 pm. And they post playlists so when Shazam doesn’t tell me what song it is and if I miss the announcement then I can go online and find out what it was. They also archive shows. They’re an awesome station.

https://www.wcbe.org/schedule/

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2022 at 1:46 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Happy birthday, Sun Ra.

Very tangentially related, but I've been going down a youtube rabbit hole of skateboarding videos lately.  Soundtracks tend to be hip hop, punk/metal, and it seems lately a lot of just alternative type stuff.  

This is a part from a much longer video.  Found it interesting they chose Sun Ra

This was new to me. I think that first solo is a French horn. It’s got a little bit of a Frank Zappa feel to it, sort of reminiscent of Walt Fowler on flugelhorn. And I don’t know who the drummer is but whoever it is has some serious chops. The artist is Kamasi Washington and this is from his 2018 album Heaven and Earth.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/26/2022 at 2:54 PM, tokamak said:

RIP Joey Defrancesco. One of the all-time greats of the Hammond organ.

I just heard the news. Damn, he died way too young. He was only 51. He passed away on Thursday. His wife posted about it to Instagram but didn’t say the cause.

I love the Hammond B-3 and Joey was a master. I got to see him in concert once with John McLaughlin and Dennis Chambers. That was a great show. I don’t want to take the time to find a Joey-heavy track from them so I’ll go with this recording of Joey and his mentor Jack McDuff. Why stop with one Hammond when you can have two?

RIP, Joey. What a loss.

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay, check this out. First of all, I’m a big John McLaughlin fan. He’s the reason I know who Joey DeFrancesco is. If you want to hear that trio of John, Joey, and Dennis, pick up this album:

D67677DB-DCE8-4BC5-B124-A72026621A9C.thumb.png.bc339dd81de5ecf4866afc76ec46ac2e.png

I chose to share a track from The Promise, John’s next album which is also outstanding. It’s sort of a retrospective of John’s career. It covers a lot of territory and there’s a great diversity of sound. Plus the cover is one of those “Magic Eye” 3-D images which is pretty cool. This is the one track from that album featuring the trio with DeFrancesco and Chambers.

And here’s a live version I came across. Joey seriously throws down on this. The grin on John’s face says it all.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you can, check out Ron Carter: Finding the Right Notes on PBS. It debuted on Friday. I caught most of the late showing that night then watched the whole thing last night. It’s excellent. I didn’t know that Carter is in the Guinness Book of World Records for most recordings by a bassist at 2,221. He’s played with a lot of artists in a lot of styles. But he’s always got that distinctive sound.

They cover some of his childhood growing up in Detroit and visit his old neighborhood. He talks about coming up studying classical music and playing the cello and how he switched over to the bass and then jazz. A big reason was that black musicians didn’t get the same opportunities playing classical music as white musicians. There are contributions from other big names in jazz. A good number of live performances and I’ve got to say I teared up a few times. They cover his 80th birthday (he’s now 86). There’s a cool scene after his 80th birthday show where Bill Frisell who was in the band brings Elvis Costello backstage to see Carter. Elvis introduces himself and says they’d met once before. Ron says, yes, a long time ago and Elvis agrees, a long time ago. Elvis tells him how much he enjoyed the show and wishes him a happy birthday. You can see the fan in Elvis wanting to come out. He says he could say more but he’d just embarrass himself. So he tips his hat, says he hopes to see him again, and leaves.

The film starts with an interview of Carter by Jon Batiste and there are segments of that interview interspersed throughout. Maybe “conversation” is a better word. There’s a great segment where Ron is talking about finding the right note and they move to their instruments and play a little duet so Ron can demonstrate. It’s really cool how they play off each other and Carter draws several ahs from Batiste.

The film ends with a montage of My Funny Valentine with excerpts of various versions by various groups over the years seamlessly spliced together. That’s an impressive piece of editing. The whole doc is first rate from start to finish. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I need to be on this thread.  I love me some jazz.

Have to say Wynton Marsalis is what got me hooked my freshman year at UT with some of his early Neo-bop sound.  From there started my exploration.

Like the obvious ones masters like Miles (up until Bitches' Brew although that has grown on me a bit) to Coltrane... not so much Bird but everywhere from Sonny Stitt, Donald Byrd, Bobby Hutcherson, Charles Mingus, Eric Dolphy, Horace Silver (love lots of the Blue Note soun mid), Lee Morgan, Bill Evans, Wes Montgomery and then "some" free jazz like Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy, Don Cherry, Roland Kirk... you get the picture.

Was lucky enough to see live Stanley Turrentine, Steve Lacy, Mal Waldron, Ahmad Jamal, Wayne Shorter, Idris Mohammed, Wayne Shorter, John Patitucci and Bob Dorough.

And, let's be real, this is one of the best Christmas songs ever.

http://youtu.be/UqZ1O0YhY5Q

Edited by texasdago

That’s funny. Bitches Brew was my introduction to Miles and the first jazz album I ever purchased. (My second was Blue Train by Coltrane.) I love electric Miles and own all his albums from that era, from In A Silent Way all through the 70’s with the exception of Water Babies. I don’t own any Miles from after the 70’s but I have a decent collection of a little over 50 discs (counting double albums as 2 discs) going back to Blue Haze from ‘54, including a few bootlegs. My earliest recording is a collaboration with Sonny Rollins from ‘51.

But I love love love electric Miles. It’s gooey, jammy, psychedelic goodness that definitely passes the acid test. My favorite is probably On The Corner. It really gets out there. The only knock is that it’s only one disc and a compilation of excerpts from two different performances. The tracks don’t flow seamlessly from one to the next. Other albums are double live albums with huge jams. On Pangaea it’s just a single track per disc (check out disc 2 for a really smooth, mellow groove). And the names are afterthoughts. For example there’s a theme in Calypso Frelimo from the album Get Up With It that you can here in other jams on other recordings labeled under different names. (At least one, anyway, I’ve never made a serious effort to catalog the intersections between the various jams but the musicianship and the improvisational approach revealed in the collection of performances from that era are, I think, really exciting.) You can hear the theme I’m talking about played by the keyboard early on here.

Also, I just dig the pants off of this. The whistles, the bells, the hand claps, that funky bass line, and Miles all over it. It sends me.

On 9/22/2022 at 6:24 PM, TexPx said:

Going to see them in a couple of weeks. Nice to see some young’ungs helping to keep jazz alive

DOMi and JD Beck were just nominated for two Grammys, one for Best Contemporary Instrumental Album, and even bigger, for Best New Artist. Cool to see that for some Texans (JD, anyway, who hails from Allen).

They also got the Tiny Desk treatment:

Edited by sasquatch69
  • Like 1

DOMi and JD Beck are fantastic.  Really really like their sound.

Yeah, I guess I started with Miles' early stuff so I couldn't get past Bitches Brew at first although it has grown on me which is funny because now I can appreciate more of the type of music that was influenced by fusion.  DOMi and JD Beck is a case in point... or Medeski Martin and Wood.  So... yeah, kind of a quandary.   I should make it a point to start listening past Bitches Brew.... I think I actually liked Jack Johson.

I will say that the first time I heard Miles Smiles, it totally blew me away.  You could hear Miles changing.

Edited by texasdago
  • Like 1

DOMi and JD Beck are fantastic.  Really really like their sound.

Yeah, I guess I started with Miles' early stuff so I couldn't get past Bitches Brew at first although it has grown on me which is funny because now I can appreciate more of the type of music that was influenced by fusion.  DOMi and JD Beck is a case in point... or Medeski Martin and Wood.  So... yeah, kind of a quandary.   I should make it a point to start listening past Bitches Brew.... I think I actually liked Jack Johson.
I will say that the first time I heard Miles Smiles, it totally blew me away.  You could hear Miles changing.

Used to watch JD sit in with local bands when he was 16. Their debut is one of the most interesting I’ve heard this year.

Weird I didn’t get into Miles until much later in life but listened to fusion when I was a kid. Mahavishnu Orchestra, Stanley Clarke, Jean-Luc Ponty, Herbie Hancock and Weather Report.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just heard about it tonight on the 6 o’clock news. He was a giant. It shouldn’t be all that startling because he wasn’t a young man. But after so recently seeing that special on Ron Carter and how he’s still playing, it made it more of a shock. I mostly know Wayne’s work starting with that second great quintet with Miles Davis, Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, and Tony Williams. Man, that was one of the greatest ensembles of all time.

Shorter wrote one of the all time classic jazz tunes with this one:

I also knew him from Weather Report.

Of course there was also this performance:

RIP to an icon. I should cross-post this album in the psychedelic therapy thread:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not very educated in jazz, I know most of the heavy hitters but that's like "knowing" Beethoven or Tchaikovsky.  My jazz tastes run towards either slammin' big bands or small trios, mostly piano/bass/drums.  

That said, I heard this Argentinian group on KUT tonight and it really struck a nerve.  Very woodwind-heavy Latin jazz, but terrificly done.  I play no woodwinds, I was brought up on brass (trumpet and French horn), but these guys killed it.  Y'all probably know about them, but regardless, I hope it's a new find for someone as it was for me:

On 4/27/2023 at 3:08 PM, TexasHooch said:

I never knew this band existed until about a week ago.  Horns are immaculate, and the rhythm section will funk you up.

Holy smokes, now that I scroll back, this is what I'm talking about.  It might not be the most adventurous composition ever, but those folks are PLAYIN'.  Lefty bass is smokin', saxes are smokin', drummer is smokin', band is tight as a duck's ass in water.

I need to pay more attention to this thread.  Awesome!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

coltrane-dolphy-news.jpg?anchor=center&m

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/evenings-at-the-village-gate-john-coltrane-impulse-records

https://www.jazzwise.com/review/john-coltrane-eric-dolphy-evenings-at-the-village-gate-john-coltrane-with-eric-dolphy

I'm a sucker for just about anything these dudes did.  As noted, it is a singular mic recording so for me the bass (and there are two bass players) disappears most of the time quite often.  But Coltrane/Dolphy/Jones are on fire.  The playing outdoes the sound quality imo.  Is on all the streaming services.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

coltrane-dolphy-news.jpg?anchor=center&m

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/evenings-at-the-village-gate-john-coltrane-impulse-records

https://www.jazzwise.com/review/john-coltrane-eric-dolphy-evenings-at-the-village-gate-john-coltrane-with-eric-dolphy

I'm a sucker for just about anything these dudes did.  As noted, it is a singular mic recording so for me the bass disappears most of the time.  But Coltrane/Dolphy/Jones are on fire.  The playing outdoes the sound quality imo.  Is on all the streaming services.

Listening now on Spotify. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

Shit, I’ve been a Surly member since the day we all came over from the Shag and I just found this thread.  I play saxophone as my main instrument and I love jazz.  Just like the guitar thread, I collect horns and my saxophones are much more pron worthy than my guitars.  I’ve even got horns that were former #1 horns of some of the worlds best tenor players.    Good to know this thread exists!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2