Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

The thing that Jimi and Frank have in common is being all time great at their instrument. Doesn’t mean other people who play others’ music are worthless, but if there’s nothing else about what they’re doing than . Of course I also think Hootie’s cover of Wagon Wheel is pointless and that was a big hit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 9:24 PM, Stringer said:

For those that have been to the FJM/Isbell shows, do you remember the general timing of everything?  

I'm coming into Houston from Austin and trying to time it out.

I went last night.  FJM was up first and went on a 8ish.  Isbell went on at 9:45 and finished around 11.  I didn’t see any of the opener and walked in a little after 8.  I would be punctual. 

• 2 weeks later...

now i'm fucking mad because I said "The Highwomen!" before I even opened the link, but I can't decide if I was clever or my brain just pre-parsed it in the link.  either way, will listen

i bought the Gillian Welch Harrow album.  Realized that I've enjoyed a lot of stuff David Rawlings has done (O.C.M.S., Heartbreaker particularly To Be Young) and thought I'd pick a spot and start.

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

now i'm fucking mad because I said "The Highwomen!" before I even opened the link, but I can't decide if I was clever or my brain just pre-parsed it in the link.  either way, will listen

i bought the Gillian Welch Harrow album.  Realized that I've enjoyed a lot of stuff David Rawlings has done (O.C.M.S., Heartbreaker particularly To Be Young) and thought I'd pick a spot and start.

Dave Rawlings Machine is great too. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Awwww Shiiiitttt!

Simpson produced Sound & Fury, an album he called his “heaviest” and “most psychedelic” yet.

"Heavy" and "psychedelic" sound very similar to the set he played at the Hinterland festival last summer, which fucking slayed.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:56 AM, Celery Man said:

Rawlings is my favorite guitar player of all time.  And the Dave Rawlings machine shows are fantastic, especially when Willie Watson and John Paul Jones were in the band.  

Harrow is an OK album, but the starting point for Welch should probably be Time the Revelator.  That album is stunning start to finish. 

Here is some vintage Welch/Rawlings goodness: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

yeah I'm not sure I'm completely into this album but I may have just started in the wrong spot.

also bought Live from the Ryman.  It's good but doesn't sound as spectacular as the Live from Alabama.  Is there a consensus on Isbell live albums?

You have to listen to Ryman on the right system.  It has a different mixing to it.

I prefer Live from Alabama, myself, mostly because I prefer the song line up.  Ryman makes some songs that I previously didn't care for sound great, however.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

yeah I'm not sure I'm completely into this album but I may have just started in the wrong spot.

also bought Live from the Ryman.  It's good but doesn't sound as spectacular as the Live from Alabama.  Is there a consensus on Isbell live albums?

Almost all live albums suck. 

3 hours ago, drifter379 said:

“We went in without any preconceived notions and came out with a really sleazy, steamy rock n roll record. It’s definitely my most psychedelic,” Sturgill Simpson

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/sturgill-simpson-announces-new-sound-fury-album-and-film/

Exactly what I expected from him this go-round.

Live from Alabama is great.  I don't typically go around buying live albums, but that one is really good and I prefer several of the recordings from that over the studio ones.  Which is partially because it's a great live album with a well rounded (and mixed) live band, and some of the older songs have evolved a bit or been expanded to cater to live performance.  But also I think some of Isbell's studio recordings are fine rather than great (to be clear, differentiating between "recording" and "song").  I would love to hear a studio album that was filled with Jason Isbell songs and sounded like Sailor's Guide to Earth.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

Agree. I wish Isbell would take an album or two off from working with Dave Cobb like Sturgill has. I think Dave does a lot to make the songs better but I’m not sure he makes them sound better on a record. It seems more noticeable with Jason than other artists too. Just my opinion. 

On 7/22/2019 at 11:24 AM, drifter379 said:

“We went in without any preconceived notions and came out with a really sleazy, steamy rock n roll record. It’s definitely my most psychedelic,” Sturgill Simpson

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/sturgill-simpson-announces-new-sound-fury-album-and-film/

He's polarizing. Apparently he owes it to people to ONLY record albums like the first one. He must never rock or roll and psychedelia is right out.

F that. 

Lot of commenters over there that went to the longcat school of replies. 

• Like 2

Some of my favorite albums are live ones: 

Leonard Cohen:  Live In London
Bugs Henderson:  Live At The Armadillo
REO Speedwagon:  You Get What You Play For
Thin Lizzy:  Live and Dangerous
Cheap Trick:  Live at Budokan
Lynyrd Skynyrd:  One More From The Road
Three Dog Night:  Around The World with Three Dog Night

Edited by hullabelew

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

4 way street

Live at Budokan

Frampton Comes Alive 

Made In Japan

Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison

James Brown at the Apollo

SRV Live Alive 

and on and on and on

I said "almost" all live albums suck. Many of these, along with Live at the Old Quarter and Live Bullet are the exception. But most of the time the sound quality is shit and the magic that comes with a live performance doesn't translate to recording. When I ask myself if I'd rather listen to a live version or the album version of the song, 99 percent of the time I'd rather listen to the album version. 

Bruce Robison has a great project going with his The Next Waltz.  He just released Volume 1 and it is fantastic, but the best song is "Bars Ain't Closing" by Wade Bowen and Holly Williams.   Funny thing about this is the song was written by Bruce's sister, Robyn Ludwick.   (Bruce told me the funny thing is, it was Kelly's idea for them to do this song).  

You can hear it on the Bandcamp site below.    The entire album is incredible though.   I also LOVE Jack Ingram's take on Jason Eady's "Why I Left Atlanta".  

https://thenextwaltz.bandcamp.com/album/the-next-waltz-vol-1

Also, it hasn't been announced yet, but Bruce has a project he is touring with, primarily in Texas, that is going to be really cool.  They are working on dates, mostly in October, but keep an eye out for this.  It will include one of the true pioneers of Texas music.  

• Like 1