Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

He deserves his own thread, but god damn the new Chris Knight is great

Lmao thinkin back on seeing him at cactus cafe 15 yrs ago. About 10 ppl in the audience. Guy was beyond bombed. He’s a running joke among my buddies, randomly dropping a lyric of his into conversation

Lmao thinkin back on seeing him at cactus cafe 15 yrs ago. About 10 ppl in the audience. Guy was beyond bombed. He’s a running joke among my buddies, randomly dropping a lyric of his into conversation

This surprises me. His reputation is generally that of being a total pro

14 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Last album is fantastic. 

All of his albums are great. 

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Helpful and appreciated but I know there’s more.

I can't tell you anything more about his story than Wikipiedia. 

High on the Tulsa Heat and Big Bad Luv are two of my favorite albums. 

And his cover of Thunder Road is the first time I heard a version of that song that I felt allowed the lyrics to shine through. I've always though Springsteen's version was overproduced. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor

John Moreland is a Tulsa guy.  He does the singer/songwriter thing now, and does it as good as anyone.  Back in the day, he had a band called the Black Gold Band, and they were stellar.  He doesn't play any of the songs from those days, but they're worth digging up.  Excellent heartland rock, for lack of a better term.

I've seen him once and it was fantastic.  Will Johnson opened.  It was at Codfish Hollow, an old hay barn in BFE eastern Iowa that's been turned into a concert venue.  The seating is literally hay bales.  No one said a fucking word while he played.

Black Gold Band stuff

The "Things I Can't Control" album is on Amazon, and that's good as well.  I'd put the song "Black Cloud" up here, but I can't find it on Youtube.

SOLO

Go see him soon if you can.  I plan on catching him in the Quad Cities in April.  He ain't going to be around long the way he's going.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 2

Every time I see a photo of James McMurtry I am reminded of the time I saw him sitting alone in the food court at Northcross Mall.  He was there for a kid's birthday party.  The kids were ice skating and James had this hollow, dejected look in his eyes, not unlike the way hostages look in photos released by their captors.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Zwylde said:

^^^^^^

Interesting.  Sounds like it must have come from the High Top Mountain recording sessions.  

16 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

It was. There’s another one called Hey Now! too. They used to be on his bandcamp page. 

Both songs came out on an EP called Bastard Children right after High Top Mountain.  

why didnt anyone tell me about this Glorietta band last year.  This is good stuff.  Matt Vasquez from Delta Spirit, David Ramirez, chick from Wild Child, etc.  Interesting collaborations.  Heatstroke is a rocker.  Lincoln Creek is great.  this is a good record.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:51 AM, NOMAAA said:

why didnt anyone tell me about this Glorietta band last year.  This is good stuff.  Matt Vasquez from Delta Spirit, David Ramirez, chick from Wild Child, etc.  Interesting collaborations.  Heatstroke is a rocker.  Lincoln Creek is great.  this is a good record.

Soooooo 2018

• Like 1

Dallas is at the AAC. That seems a bit too big for Sturgill. I mean he last played at Verizon out in Grand Prairie. Starplex seems the better move. AAC is pretty cavernous and I don't think he's going to get more than the first two rungs of that place, maybe. 

Edited by mdmost

Not to mention how much of a turn off that Grand Prairie show was, he wasn’t exactly endearing to the crowd. And this new stuff skews more niche than mainstream appeal trying to fill venues of this size. The Tyler Childers angle will help him, his billy bob tickets were going for $100 GA secondary market a year ago.

Yeah, that was a terrible show but I blame that more on his road crew and the venue. His feedback earpiece wasn't working at all and he couldn't get started. But he needs to do more Bomb Factory type shows and less larger venues but he's got to get paid so it goes. 

Edited by mdmost