Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

Don't see Darden Smith much on Surly...but a true Austin talent and a guy who puts his money and music and talent, where is mouth is.    His "Songwriting With Soldiers" project just aired on PBS, shot at War Memorial Auditorium, Nashville.  You would never know, by watching this, that he was the mind and energy behind this. 

https://www.pbs.org/video/songwriting-with-soldiers-ztihi5/

On 10/23/2019 at 9:35 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Every time I see a photo of James McMurtry I am reminded of the time I saw him sitting alone in the food court at Northcross Mall.  He was there for a kid's birthday party.  The kids were ice skating and James had this hollow, dejected look in his eyes, not unlike the way hostages look in photos released by their captors.

That is his standard look.

$100 for Austin before fees. First the code didn’t work, then it put me in virtual waiting then it sent me through to only find mezzanine available. 

just got email for artist presale at noon. Guess I’ll try that. 

Edited by 4th&Five

I'm pretty late with this comment but the animated story for "All is Said and Done" on the Sturgill Netflix is intense. Probably derivative of a bunch of Mad Max type plots we've seen before, but the story and visuals are kept so simple as to really hit home. I really liked the whole feature, it's barely over a half-hour and blends music and action beautifully.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna post this on this thread because it says "other good stuff" . . . Tony Joe White doing his best Louisiana swampy blues rock whatever.  What a fantastic song, I just now found this version.  (I don't know why people refer to it as "polk salad", I've always know it as "poke salad".)

• Like 3

On 12/6/2019 at 2:52 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I'm gonna post this on this thread because it says "other good stuff" . . . Tony Joe White doing his best Louisiana swampy blues rock whatever.  What a fantastic song, I just now found this version.  (I don't know why people refer to it as "polk salad", I've always know it as "poke salad".)

Every time I heard this song, I now think of this song

• Like 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, definitely on the Ray Wylie Hubbard connection.  That appearance on Letterman was legendary.

It's not often that I just start gut-bust laughing listening to a song, but I'll be damned if I didn't lose it the first time I heard him go "I said 'down in Louisiana'".

I do love Polk Salad Annie too.  That TJW performance is awesome.

Jeff Plankenhorn has a song on his new record (it is fantastic BTW) he cowrote and performed with Ray Wylie Hubbard.  

And the song he wrote with Hayes Carll.   Love they both have different lyrics.   Very different lyrics.  Then you have this bit of brilliance.   

She crosses a bridge and then sets it on fire
Lands like a bird on a telephone wire"

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1