Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

8 hours ago, bluto said:

Anybody into Charley Crockett? Dudes got a great/unique voice and wild AF backstory

Charley is AWESOME live.  I've seen him open for Turnpike Troubadours twice.  He sat the room on fire both times.  In fact, the last time we saw him, the couple next to me had driven 3 hours to just see him and were traveling another 2 hours the next day to see him again.  

He is recording from stuff with Bruce Robison and I think Bruce may be producing him now.  

https://www.thenextwaltz.com/videos/charley-crockett-jamestown-ferry-tnw-live-from-the-musicfest-at-steamboat-2018-series

He also just had heart surgery and seems to be doing great.  LOVE the guy and with Bruce's help, his studio work is finally matching his live stuff.  

• Like 1

Crockett and Robison will both be at the Mile 0 Fest in Key West that I'm headed to at the end of the month.  Looking forward to both.

Others I'm looking forward to (other than the obvious - Lucero, American Aquarium, REK and Isbell) are The Steel Woods, Brandon Rhyder and John Fullbright.  Any fans?

Anybody seen the lineup and have any other must sees?

https://mile0fest.com/line-up/

3 hours ago, hullabelew said:

They might as well call that The Next Waltz Line-up.  Wow.  Most of those people have recorded for Bruce at his studio in Lockhart.  
Are you staying local?  

I'm 2 blocks off of the Southernmost Point, which is one of the venues they sell with the tickets.  Apparently the Turnpike Troubadours stayed in our cottages when they were at Mile 0 last year.  They have a trolley system to get you around to the venues.

REK obviously brought some of his favorites along for the ride.

I heard High Road and immediately added Fullbright to my must see list for the concert.

16 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Well, Isbell also called The Nashville Sound their rockingest album (or some shit) before it was released too so I'm not holding my breath.  

It could be that I am just burned out on Isbell.

I'm kind of there too.  I like a lot of the songs on Nashville Sounds, but both it and SMTF have plenty of tracks that just don't do it for me, and he's definitely not into rocking that hard anymore.

I think what he's achieved is really great, and admirable, but it seems that the more his audience and appeal grows, the less connected I feel to the music.  I don't think it's a chicken/egg, but when I hear people raving about how great Something More Than Free is, but tell me they don't care for Sirens of the Ditch I just kinda shake my head internally.

• Like 2

I'm right there with you.  All my favorite Isbell songs he cut with DBT.  Strangely, at Old Settler's Music Fest, Isbell and the 400 Unit did an acoustic set that I looked forward to and really enjoyed if for no other reason than the songs weren't the cookie cutter versions that I have heard over and over again live.  What's funny is Amanda Shires had her set before Jason's and she rocked like I had never seen from her.  She is usually too bland for my taste.

If I never hear that fucking Anxiety song again live it will be too soon.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bluto said:

Agree on Anxiety, especially live. That’s bathroom/beer trip time. Same for Cumberland gap, sounds like a song from an 80s movie montage.

Flip side is I’m admittedly in the minority on decoration day being auto power down.

Yeah, don't care for either of those.

The songs that I liked the best off Nashville Sound were the quieter ones, in general.  The rockers sounded like someone who was trying to rock and forgot how to do it.  Tupelo, Molotov, Something to Love, and Last of My Kind I all enjoy.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

Charlie just released a new one!  What a ripper! 

Fun story... about 12 years ago some buddies and I, on a total whim, got in contact with Charlie and asked him if he'd play a house concert for us in South Minneapolis.  In these parts, Charlie was/is too big to be playing house gigs, but he was intrigued, so he and a couple buddies came down from Duluth and jammed in our back yard for hours.  Top ten night for me.  Sitting on the roof of my house jamming to sweet tunes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

Charlie just released a new one!  What a ripper! 

Fun story... about 12 years ago some buddies and I, on a total whim, got in contact with Charlie and asked him if he'd play a house concert for us in South Minneapolis.  In these parts, Charlie was/is too big to be playing house gigs, but he was intrigued, so he and a couple buddies came down from Duluth and jammed in our back yard for hours.  Top ten night for me.  Sitting on the roof of my house jamming to sweet tunes.

That sounds like an epic time.

While it won't be on that level, I'm pretty stoked for the show we're seeing.  It's the little theater in Lanesboro - not sure if you ever get down that way - neat little place, mostly used for theater productions, but Charlie played there a couple years back, and we had a conflict.  Just played at a bar in Decorah (a slightly closer and more intimate venue to me) last week, but I already had tickets for the Lanesboro show when I found out about that one.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

I gotta chime in and say that I like a lot of Isbell stuff, but I wasn't there initially.  It took me a while to find the stuff I like because I was late to the party and most of his new stuff seemed so depressing.  This is coming from a guy that has Mandolin Orange and Trampled by Turtles at the top of his playlist, so I know depressing, but he takes it to a new level.

He is a fantastic musician, and I absolutely love alot of his stuff (Last of my Kind, If it Takes a Lifetime, Alabama Pines) but songs like Cumberland Gap have me looking for the next button.

• Like 1

I'm with you.  There is an interview floating around (still trying to find it) where he talks about hearing a Norman Blake record when he was young.  It was in the context of talking about his Martin.  So, if he was listening to a Norman Blake record at a young age, he surely has a background in country.  In all of his work with this Next Waltz project, I've been amazed how laid back and in the background he has been.  Always on that acoustic.  

21 hours ago, jinx said:

I gotta chime in and say that I like a lot of Isbell stuff, but I wasn't there initially.  It took me a while to find the stuff I like because I was late to the party and most of his new stuff seemed so depressing.  This is coming from a guy that has Mandolin Orange and Trampled by Turtles at the top of his playlist, so I know depressing, but he takes it to a new level.

He is a fantastic musician, and I absolutely love alot of his stuff (Last of my Kind, If it Takes a Lifetime, Alabama Pines) but songs like Cumberland Gap have me looking for the next button.

Totally agree.

I saw Isbell play this past weekend at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Just him and Shires. Such a beautiful show. They played a few songs from the new album. One, about a good friend of Amanda's who recently committed suicide. She had to leave the stage after playing that one.  

Anyway, here's wonderwall*

*I'm sure this has been posted on here, but I don't really pay attention.  I've been running this album into the fucking ground.

Yeah, he literally died doing what he loved.  He was singing onstage at the 30A Songwriter's Festival when he paused, said "I'm sorry," and put his head down and died.  He didn't even drop his guitar.  RIP

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/singer-songwriter-david-olney-dies-onstage-during-performance-florida-festival-n1118611

On 1/7/2020 at 10:27 PM, bluto said:

Anybody into Charley Crockett? Dudes got a great/unique voice and wild AF backstory

Just saw that he is on the bill for Karbach's Rodeo Clown Roundup.  I've been waiting for him to hit Houston so I'm definitely gonna check him out.  Blackberry Smoke as the headliner is sweet bonus.  Seen them twice before and they don't disappoint at all.

8 minutes ago, Zwylde said:

Just saw that he is on the bill for Karbach's Rodeo Clown Roundup.  I've been waiting for him to hit Houston so I'm definitely gonna check him out.  Blackberry Smoke as the headliner is sweet bonus.  Seen them twice before and they don't disappoint at all.

I've seen Blackberry Smoke once and really enjoyed their set.  They've risen pretty high on my list over the years.

I love this song, in particular.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's a lot better than I thought it would be.  They've gotten good.

The first time I listened to them (probably 10ish years ago), I thought they were pleasant background music that was ultimately generic southern rock.  A poor man's early Black Crowes, perhaps.  Didn't give 'em much thought after that until I saw they were playing at a festival I was attending.

But they've really developed a depth to their everyman/universal subject material songs, and Charlie has a strong knack for melody.

This is another gem from those sessions (same album as well)

Edited by Al_4_ISU