Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The first time I listened to them (probably 10ish years ago), I thought they were pleasant background music that was ultimately generic southern rock.  A poor man's early Black Crowes, perhaps.  Didn't give 'em much thought after that until I saw they were playing at a festival I was attending.

But they've really developed a depth to their everyman/universal subject material songs, and Charlie has a strong knack for melody.

Exactly my thoughts back then.  Their material seemed very contrived.  This stuff is much more thoughtful, and doesn't seem like they're trying nearly so hard.  Thanks.

Posted the following in the “new music” thread but can’t get enough of the new Marcus King album

Auerbach produced it.

Played the Opry Saturday night

Saw him at SXSW last March on the Lucy’s Fried Chicken tiny ass stage when it was still the full Marcus King Band, then at Stubbs in the fall as the “Marcus King Trio” that was a 2 hour jam session...and I think the new solo album is the best I’ve heard so far

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/18/797100626/raised-in-rock-marcus-king-releases-first-solo-album-el-dorado

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Posted the following in the “new music” thread but can’t get enough of the new Marcus King album

Auerbach produced it.

Played the Opry Saturday night

Saw him at SXSW last March on the Lucy’s Fried Chicken tiny ass stage when it was still the full Marcus King Band, then at Stubbs in the fall as the “Marcus King Trio” that was a 2 hour jam session...and I think the new solo album is the best I’ve heard so far

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/18/797100626/raised-in-rock-marcus-king-releases-first-solo-album-el-dorado

Been hearing his new song Too Much Whiskey on Outlaw Country.  Sounds like a tribute to Willies Whiskey River and I like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Checking in to report that Mile 0 Fest in Key West was well worth the price of admission.  A lot of great venues, from beach, to pool, to boat, along with a street party kickoff and the amphitheater.

I saw Robert Earl Keen in the 278 seat Key West Theater and it was fantastic.  Saw Charley Crockett for the street party and at his 11:30 show at Irish Kevin's.  I had never listened to Shinyribs, but fell in love with them at the street party and saw them the next day at the beach show at Southernmost Resort.  Isbell only played the amphitheater, but it was a great show as well.  Lots of others along the way, new and old, that were awesome and at great venues.

Now to give my liver a few days off to recover....  After Devil Makes Three tonight in my hometown.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jinx said:

Checking in to report that Mile 0 Fest in Key West was well worth the price of admission.  A lot of great venues, from beach, to pool, to boat, along with a street party kickoff and the amphitheater.

I saw Robert Earl Keen in the 278 seat Key West Theater and it was fantastic.  Saw Charley Crockett for the street party and at his 11:30 show at Irish Kevin's.  I had never listened to Shinyribs, but fell in love with them at the street party and saw them the next day at the beach show at Southernmost Resort.  Isbell only played the amphitheater, but it was a great show as well.  Lots of others along the way, new and old, that were awesome and at great venues.

Now to give my liver a few days off to recover....  After Devil Makes Three tonight in my hometown.

If you don't mind me asking, about how much $ was the trip "all-in"?  Been dying to do it since the first year.

14 hours ago, Zwylde said:

If you don't mind me asking, about how much $ was the trip "all-in"?  Been dying to do it since the first year.

It was about 4k for me and the wife for 7 days.  We did it with a large group and got the Pirate level, and the lodging was through the festival. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jinx said:

I would love to hit Mile 0 some time.  Always a great line up and seems like an incredible vibe.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I would love to hit Mile 0 some time.  Always a great line up and seems like an incredible vibe.

The vibe was awesome.  Laid back and easy to get to almost everything.  It also doesn't hurt that the highs are mid to high 70s and the lows are mid to high 60s in Key West in January.

8 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Look what just showed up on Apple Music. Album out 5/15. 

0D54C73E-4B56-4B47-A993-84789AF8BC19.png

I think at this point Jason could fart into a Casio tape recorder and it would be well received, but this song ain't doing much for me.  It's not bad, but it's not getting my excitement up either.  Kinda reminds me a little of Cumberland Gap, which I also didn't care much for.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think at this point Jason could fart into a Casio tape recorder and it would be well received, but this song ain't doing much for me.  It's not bad, but it's not getting my excitement up either.  Kinda reminds me a little of Cumberland Gap, which I also didn't care much for.

Agreed. I downloaded this on Amazon unlimited this morning and it’s okay, nothing too deep on the surface. I’m guessing the full album will be more interesting. Maybe I’m wrong, but Isbell doesn’t seem the type to coast and put out uninspired mediocrity on the likelihood of it being well received. 

3 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Agreed. I downloaded this on Amazon unlimited this morning and it’s okay, nothing too deep on the surface. I’m guessing the full album will be more interesting. Maybe I’m wrong, but Isbell doesn’t seem the type to coast and put out uninspired mediocrity on the likelihood of it being well received. 

I think every album since Southeastern has sounded like 40% uninspired mediocrity, 30% decent stuff, 30% brilliance.

That's just to my tastes of course, and obviously it's been really well received, so what do I know?

17 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Looks like he's playing Red Rocks again this year.  Am researching the show at Wrigley Field with the Highwomen and Chris Stapleton.  I wonder what kind of a concert venue Wrigley makes?

Probably a shitty one, but that would be one hell of a show.